User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's always this if you are looking for something in 6mm.  Factory 6.8SPC next to our 24 GPC.  There's a thread on our GPC line here, too though... the difference is immediately noticeable.

I did shoot a note to PSA... nothing substantial back yet, but I just did it today.  I think it will take end users contacting them more so than me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401879/24_GPC_Noted-808309.jpg
View Quote
What type of velocity are you getting with the 24 GPC out of 16-18" barrels?

How does it stack up vs the 6mm Mongoose?

One advantage of the 5.56 brass (besides obviously cheap and plentiful brass) is that it can be run at 62kpsi.

Getting back to the 6.8/6.5 mags. These allow for shooting 2.39" loads; can they also feed and function with factory 2.26" 6.5/6.8 ammo? Ie could you run wolf plinking 6.5g, then switch to 6.5G long handloads?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Second question first: Yes... they feed the original SPC and Grendel.  They also allow for some new designs.

First question - we can hook you up with estimates for now but I would rather discuss in the GPC thread and not muddy the magazine thread announcement t qith our cartridges.  Of course we will take advantage of the mags but the mags aren't about "our" cartridges... they are about a whole new standard, a whole new opportunity for stretching existing cartridges and allowing for some new ones, not just by us.
View Quote
Awesome that the 6.5/6.8 can feed factory ammo. This will really be a huge boost for both calibers and their wildcats.

If that "duel fuel" ability holds true for 5.56, I think that would be extremely popular - being able to shoot both .223 plinking loads, as well as "5.56 Valkyrie" handloads with 80-90gr projectiles, would be a compelling combo for many shooters.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Metal mags that fit the SIX8 mag set is something I have been advocating, and waiting for, for many moons.   I get most things done with 2.295" OAL, but I shot alot of pigs with the 110 TTSX's when we first started testing the new, heavier bullets in bolt guns.   Most of those loads were 2.333 to 2.40"

If you can pull off getting metal mags made, which allow for longer loading that will fit my two existing SIX8 guns, I'm in...
View Quote
@hi-tech-rancher

Hey man, been a long time since I've seen you post. Hope all is well with you. I was Wolf68 on the 68forums. I always enjoyed your posts and learned a lot from you. I'm hoping to get back into 6.8 over the next year or so. Had to sell all my guns a few years ago but finally got all that mess straight. All my 6.8 stuff was gone and I lost so much in the sales I could only buy one gun for the two I sold, and I bought a Tavor. I'd love to see a Tavor 6.8 conversion. But yeah this metal mag deal is something we all hoped for back when LWRC came out with the six8.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Could we have open front and back mags that hold the cases by the extraction groove?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking of something like that.  We're trying to maximize the usable length of the magwell.  Why have a front and back of the mag then?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet!

My first one of these might just be 5.56. Loaded long with 80+ bullets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Will the Six8 Pmags feed a Grendel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Funny!  But no they won't.

I don't think it's the group you think it is if I am reading your post right...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will the Six8 Pmags feed a Grendel?
Funny!  But no they won't.

I don't think it's the group you think it is if I am reading your post right...
I'm just laughing about gun industry drama in general.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ya' know, I recently saw a thread on "another forum" where the very same guys that said this would be great are now saying it wouldn't... I know why, and it is sad.

For shame - it is quite transparent that they are pulling the wool over the members' eyes for personal reasons.  Not very commendable advocacy.

Starting with "Need to use an LWRC $500 receiver" and "mags will be $50".  Who said mags would be $50?  They will be comparable to the SIX8 Pmags!  Maybe a couple dollars more for the 30's, but much less than the 20's and 10's.  New Frontier Armory sets will be $275!  Sulzer sets were $350!  Our mags will cost LESS than their "Windowed" mags they are pimping.

Did they not even read the post that they linked to?

Sad, very sad. Perhaps we won't make a 6.8SPC version then, since it is just such a bad idea, and we'll only make a Grendel version, since they are trying to turn everyone over there off of it.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot over personal vendettas.

I'm just kidding, I don't care what they say or think, we will make them both, and their attempt to lie to their own members will be seen for what it is.

View Quote
Found the post you are referencing, just seems like 1 or 2 bad apples pushing down the idea because they are already invested in what they have/produce.

I'm looking forward to seeing some metal magazines for the Six8 pattern AR, adopted one super early figuring that someone eventually would use it to push the design forward.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
On my way over to find that post...
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Would grendel cases stack up in 2?columnsvw/o gaps between a given case one the right and the case on the the right above it?

I mean how that grendel/x39 cases dont fot in the maggs stacked up tight but w spaces inbetween each level and the level above them...

Also, i doubt any ammo co will make extra long COAL ammo for fear that it will gdt jammed into a gun w little freebore and the bullet could set back and cause a KB.  I recon factory ammo would have to come in a new cartridfe that is not SAMMI specd.

Also, many barrels currently available may have too little freebore for longer COAL stuff.

Im thinking a “new”  6mm based on either grendel or SPC diameter brass would be ideal. Or, something that can shoot 95g SMK or better 22 cal bullets w externals similar to 6mm creed
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sweet!

My first one of these might just be 5.56. Loaded long with 80+ bullets.
View Quote
That's kind of what I'm leaning towards as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@hi-tech-rancher

Hey man, been a long time since I've seen you post. Hope all is well with you. I was Wolf68 on the 68forums. I always enjoyed your posts and learned a lot from you. I'm hoping to get back into 6.8 over the next year or so. Had to sell all my guns a few years ago but finally got all that mess straight. All my 6.8 stuff was gone and I lost so much in the sales I could only buy one gun for the two I sold, and I bought a Tavor. I'd love to see a Tavor 6.8 conversion. But yeah this metal mag deal is something we all hoped for back when LWRC came out with the six8.
View Quote
Thanks, man.  Glad you have recovered.  Prices are really good right now, so you should be able to get back into 6.8 soon

One of the reasons I haven't posted in a while is because my practice is bustling, in an undeserved area...and, honestly, because of the aforementioned "gun industry drama."   Far too often, these threads (especially 6.5 v 6.8) would devolve into and  .  Competition and animosity  between forums is probably one of the reasons so many people moved to Facebook for this type of info.  I don't use Facebook anymore so I've been lurking for a while just to see what's happening and this is one of the things I;ve been hoping to see.

Anyway, When we tested the original SIX8 and PMag, we were impressed, and to this day, that is the rifle I shoot from the helo, when we eradicate pigs.  But, having a longer metal mag for the same gun (I like the term "dual fuel") would be great, and allow for those who do not want to have to build another rifle from another set, to improve the performance of their SIX8 immediately.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I would say "I will take a few to sell in my store."

Once my big hog hunting guys get aholt of the increased performance I think I could sell a fair number of them.

I think the biggest constraint will be the price of the upper/lower combo. Oh, and don't male us buy a crazy handguard. We need to be able to use what already exists. IE: keep the rail height at the AR15 standard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ya' know, I recently saw a thread on "another forum" where the very same guys that said this would be great are now saying it wouldn't... I know why, and it is sad.

For shame - it is quite transparent that they are pulling the wool over the members' eyes for personal reasons.  Not very commendable advocacy.

Starting with "Need to use an LWRC $500 receiver" and "mags will be $50".  Who said mags would be $50?  They will be comparable to the SIX8 Pmags!  Maybe a couple dollars more for the 30's, but much less than the 20's and 10's.  New Frontier Armory sets will be $275!  Sulzer sets were $350!  Our mags will cost LESS than their "Windowed" mags they are pimping.
View Quote
Other then price quotes being off a little, and as you say this thread is linked so anyone can read your price quotes, it seems to me like you're taking it harder then it really is.  I'm not defending him, but price wise, $275 for a base set receiver will also likely turn into an "estimated" $400-500 after lower build kit plus a good trigger.  Larue probably cheapest option going at the moment for $90 plus lower build kit with stock is quickly north of $400.

As to the main part of that post, it seems like a completely legitimate question as far as options.  And I don't see where anyone is taking direct aim at you, but more giving their opinions of why they have made the choices they did.  It's more of a financial decision for most, cost versus gain.  My reasons being slightly different then those that posted, Barrett has been having a sale for what seems like months now on 30 round 6.8 mags, I've hit it up a couple times.  For me already having 4 AR's between 6.8 and 224V with a nice stash of reliable 5-30 round mags is the biggest deal breaker to not upgrade.  Many of us love the idea of the LWRC 30 round Pmags, and loading long but if you didn't buy into that originally and most likely a complete rifle, then you have a pile of fully function rifles and mags that would need converted to take advantage of X amount of gain.

I honestly hope the idea succeeds.  As long as the mags prove reliable, it would be my recommended route for someone buying into an AR variant for the first time.  As of right now though, 2 companies for receivers and only Magpul mags available.  Chicken or the egg.... Buy into LWRC and hope magpul supports for x amount of years or go standard lowers and multiple sources of mags.  Just my opinion, but a working prototype, videos would go a long way for you right now.  I wish u luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like it will be a hit. I am looking forward to it and your new cartridges.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#30]
This is sweet news! will either of the mag options feed .223 based cats? I have one in the works that would be perfect!

I also had another question as it's along the same lines but the other direction. how would the feasibility be to downsize a receiver set and get custom mags ~1.75" coal? with the whole micro pistol/PDW craze smaller capacity wildcats would boost velocities and reduce concussion and blast. (I have a 16.3gr cat that has produced 2700 ft/sec from a 6" barrel and 40gr bullet and plan to do further testing and shorter barrels, concussion and blast are easily a 1/3 of a 7.5" 5.56)

In addition to that crowd there is also a decent amount of people who would like to build Colt MARS clones. The carrier could be standard parts just require the receiver to be installed like the LWRC UCIW and other similar stocks. and I wouldn't be surprised if LR-308 buffers would already be short enough for the less stroke so there too would be off the shelf solutions.

The only hangup would be the charging handle. it would have to be a custom jobber or done as a side charger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Keep on subject or keep your thoughts to yourself
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Good stuff all around! Excited that MDWS is making waves and turning out quality products everyone can get behind.

Its a hell if a time to be in the gun business! ????
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
This is fantastic news.

I have been saying for a while the AR is hamstrung by mag length.

This will open up the universe for the small frame AR.

Everything to 6.5 Timberwolf to 5.56.

5.56, with a 1-6.5 twist rate and some 95gr. SMK would breathe a whole new life into that in an AR.

@ MDWS when are the 6.5 Timberwolf, barrels, bolts and dies going to be available?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ha I hear ya'.  I like the term "purse swinging"... cracks me up every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just laughing about gun industry drama in general.
Ha I hear ya'.  I like the term "purse swinging"... cracks me up every time.
I think you’re gonna take purse swinging to steroid induced levels.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#36]
This sounds like a very interesting proposition. Since you say that the 5.56 based mags won't be first, I'd think a Valkyrie would be nice or something like a 22 Nosler using 6.8 brass and heavy bullets since it would have more case capacity. But really a 5.56 loaded long would be best when considering the cost of components. Would be an awesome recce rifle
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This sounds like a very interesting proposition. Since you say that the 5.56 based mags won't be first, I'd think a Valkyrie would be nice or something like a 22 Nosler using 6.8 brass and heavy bullets since it would have more case capacity. But really a 5.56 loaded long would be best when considering the cost of components. Would be an awesome recce rifle
View Quote
Just load 6mm Hagar or Grendel long.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#39]
From the GPC thread, the performance of the 24 GPC / 6mm-6.8 is very promising from 16" barrels.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/MDWS-GPC-General-Purpose-Cartridge-Family-General-Info/121-734952/?r=-1&page=2&anc=7840863#i7840308

24 GPC 95gr Berger VLD 0.467 G1 @ 2660fps = 1800fps expansion range / 681 ftlbs @ 500 yards

6mm 88gr Cutting Edge 0.445 G1 BC @ 2750fps = 1600fps expansion range / 500 ft/lbs @ 650 yards.

This is really great performance, and so I'm very excited for the release of the metal Six8 mags.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do like that idea, but if you could get the Hornady 88s to stabilize, you'll have a slightly less expensive bullet with a better BC than what you could put in the 6mm Hagar. Depending on your needs though, like hunting restrictions, I could understand wanting a 6mm bullet. I'm also interested in what the grendel is capable of with 130s loaded long. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#41]
With this be Canada legal?  Do standard uppers fit?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
With this be Canada legal?  Do standard uppers fit?
View Quote
Upper will be different from what I gathered and sold as a set.

are they making a BCG plug/spacer to make up the difference in length?

Also what is the Charging handle provision? just further into the upper?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:. I don't know Canada law enough to answer.

Only "beefy" standard AR15 upper receivers will work as you would need to mill some of the upper out to accept the larger magazine.  There is some info on that in this thread.

What has been an interesting discussion is, is this an "AR15" by class or no?  Let the lawyers figure all that out.
View Quote
It's an important question for Canada.  If it's NOT an AR by their standards, you need a pistol version stat and some 10 rnd mags.  It would be wildly popular w/ their 18.x" bbls.

@FluffyTheCat
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What has been an interesting discussion is, is this an "AR15" by class or no?  Let the lawyers figure all that out.
View Quote
I think it qualifies as an "AR12" in between the AR15 and AR10.

And I think that would be a good way to market this project - as the new AR12 that offers the lightweight handling, low recoil, and high capacity of the AR15, with most of the long range performance of the AR10.

I'd also lead with the 6mm as the "AR-12" flagship cartridge to gin up maximum interest in the platform.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top