BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2021 6:13:49 PM EDT
I'm at the thinking and planning stage of an AR-9 build.  Is the Glock type the only option or is it just the best option?

I've heard these things are finicky, and I hate finicky.  I want to know what you AR-Luger guys have found that works and what are the pitfalls.

Thanks in advance for the info.
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock mags…..for sure.

They can be picky. The blowback operation, the dirt, the headspacing ( because it doesn’t lock up, and because people mix parts, it can be problematic), and lack of standards for springs, buffers, barrel lengths, etc. all make it “interesting”

Stick with one company for barrel, bolt, and recoil system and you will be a leg up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not making me feel confident in tackling this.  

I was unaware that it doesn't lock up.  I've heard about blowback issues.  I need to gain some knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Glock lowers and Colt pattern ( Uzi really ) mags and they are both equally reliable. The Colt pattern are easier to load, but they can unload themselves spontaneously in what is facetiously called a “golden shower”

Glock pattern are also good if you sport a Glock pistol for the mag compatibility.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a stern adaptor on a  PSA multi cal lower. The adaptor has a built in feed ramp and the setup feeds anything. Look at adaptors with feed ramps or the few barrels that come from the factory with properly contoured feed cones, or get feed cone work on whatever barrel you choose.

6-8 ounce buffer in a non suppressed application, carbine spring.

GTG
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to say standard lower, endo mags, and hydraulic buffer for the win.

I like this because I can use all my standard AR mag holders.

I did the colt mag thing before and while I like the colt mags better than the glock mags the lead is smaller now that some setups the bolt hold open works with glock mags
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm at the thinking and planning stage of an AR-9 build.  Is the Glock type the only option or is it just the best option?

I've heard these things are finicky, and I hate finicky.  I want to know what you AR-Luger guys have found that works and what are the pitfalls.

-KTC
View Quote

At this point...you need to read previous build threads, the trouble shooting threads, and decide on the components you want to use.
 You need to decide "which mag do I want to use". Glock isn't the only one.

And who is this mystery person that keeps going around telling people that 9mm AR's are "finicky" ??

Just like all firearms that are built, as opposed to bought, sometimes component selection plays a part.

But even using the cheapest stuff I've found on the internet, and mixing manufacturers has still provided me problem-free builds.

But the fact still remains.....you need to do your homework, and the research.

And component availability may also play a part in what you'll be able  to build.

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks weptek911...I'm leaning towards glock.
I dont have a glock handgun but I likely will eventually.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a stern adaptor on a  PSA multi cal lower. The adaptor has a built in feed ramp and the setup feeds anything. Look at adaptors with feed ramps or the few barrels that come from the factory with properly contoured feed cones, or get feed cone work on whatever barrel you choose.

6-8 ounce buffer in a non suppressed application, carbine spring.

GTG
View Quote

Good Info emandude, especially on the buffer and springs.  
I'll check out the Stern adapter... I've never been I tested in pistol calibers in an AR,.
So this all great info.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with Colt mags in mine. It's a pieced together 57, 58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67 automobile like gun that Johnny Cash would be proud to sing about. The only issue I had was light primer strikes and I just got a different brand Firing Pin and spring which fixed it right up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
New Frontier Armory "Thor" Glock mag lower paired with their side charging upper, and the Dead Foot Arms Modified Cycling System bolt and side folder assembly has run like a bat outta hell for me for several years now. Keeping the damn thing fed will be your biggest issue unless you're rich or got a big ass ammo fort
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep Idaho, I agree I need to go digging thru here and see what is working.
This has been a great starting point for me.  Thanks.

Emdomags and Stern adapters are interesting and started digging into them.

I need to figure out if I want a dedicated 9mm lower or not.  
I can see advantages to both directions.
Running 556 lower with Endomags or Sterns allows flexibility....what about reliability
Or
Dedicated lower locks you in on that lower.is the reliability and function improved enough to justify it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you building just to save money? Yeah, I have a well used one, so I might be biased, but they're very durable.

https://www.extarusa.com/shop/pistols/ep9
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock. Everything else is clown shoes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a PSA upper and Originally used a standard lower with a P-Mag Endomag conversion. It worked OK but was kind of an expensive way to go. The price of the conversion plus the price of a P-Mag.

I eventually replaced the AR-15 lower with a PSA AR-9 glock lower because i had a lot of 33 round Glock mags for my Ruger PCC.
They work just as well, if not better than the converted P-Mags.
No problem at all.

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with the New Frontier Armory C5. It’s a nice billet lower that feeds from MP5 magazines. I am currently building 2 more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Foxtrot Mike makes a great AR-9.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
My first ever AR build was an AR9.

Only issues I had were getting the right buffer weight and it won't feed HST or GD. So I use Hornady flex hp rounds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Glock mags are good, depending on the lower.  Some have the wrong angle, some don't support the front of the mag and it blows out the front of cheap mags.   My Spikes lowers have issues with non-Glock brand mags, even if they are metal lined, and my girlfriend's PSA will run anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the 3 ar 15 lowers, 1 ar9 lower, and a G19.4 for $599 shipped from PSA. The G19.5 went MIA, but PSA sent another one.

Great marketing, I bought 3 AR15 uppers, and a AR9 upper from PSA the next week.

PSA AR9 has had one problem, the mags empty too quickly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I never understood why people say AR-9 builds are so finicky.  Maybe I just got lucky.

I really dislike the slanted mag well Glock look and don't own a glock anyway so I went with a colt style mag.  I didn't want to spend too much on it so I bought some of, if not the, cheapest parts available including a poverty pony lower and a drop in mag block from Midway instead of a dedicated 9mm lower.

I did put a proper 9 mm buffer and heavy recoil spring it it from the beginning but other than that I didn't do anything particularly special.

It ran like a top from the get go.  Almost too much fun to shoot given the price of ammo these days.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have Glock lowers and Colt pattern ( Uzi really ) mags and they are both equally reliable. The Colt pattern are easier to load, but they can unload themselves spontaneously in what is facetiously called a “golden shower”

Glock pattern are also good if you sport a Glock pistol for the mag compatibility.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

At this point...you need to read previous build threads, the trouble shooting threads, and decide on the components you want to use.
 You need to decide "which mag do I want to use". Glock isn't the only one.

And who is this mystery person that keeps going around telling people that 9mm AR's are "finicky" ??

Just like all firearms that are built, as opposed to bought, sometimes component selection plays a part.

But even using the cheapest stuff I've found on the internet, and mixing manufacturers has still provided me problem-free builds.

But the fact still remains.....you need to do your homework, and the research.

And component availability may also play a part in what you'll be able  to build.

View Quote

What he said.

9mm builds aren't finicky. Problem is that most people don't understand how they work and just try to slap one together with discount parts and expect perfection. My first build was a nightmare. After months of research I finally got it running 100%. With those lessons learned my second (Glock build) ran, and still runs, 100%

I put everything I learned at Blowback9.com. There's build info and everything else you need to know to make one run 100% from the start, and feed literally any factory ammo, including 147 HSTs..

(My site/links/posts generate no income. I am not affiliated with any business.)

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd suggest that when you get your AR9 together, take one last step and round the hammer strike end of the firing pin so the hammer hit is closer to the center line of the pin...and not the edge

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Nothing wrong with the colt mag builds.  I have four of them...easy to build...easy to run.  I used Hahn mag adaptors on them so I can always go back to .223 caliber IF I chose to.  Also picked up a Macon Armory mag adaptor and am using that also.  All good.  Have one that has over 15,000 rounds thru it.  Using Taccom bolts in all of them.  Shooting them in competition 2-3 times a month(USPSA-PPC division).  They're a lot of fun....
Lots of information on here.  Just do your reading.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I put together a AR9 with a complete Spikes lower and a KAW upper. It would not feed flat point 9mm any round point would work flawlessly. Most of the sub sonic ammo I have is a flat point bullet so I put together another one using NFA mp5 mag lower and has been flawless. The spikes was a designated 9mm lower for the Glock magazine’s.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Aesthetics matter, and Glock doesn't do it.  Take a look at Endomags, I like them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm doing a CMMG RDB Colt-pattern mag gun.

I would say that success ought to come easiest if you use the same manufacturer for your upper, lower, bolt, and barrel. They designed their stuff to intentionally be compatible, while some fiddling may (or may not!) be needed with a franken-build.

The CMMG and the JP systems are delayed blowback, as compared to the straight-blowback of most designs. Colt, Glock, and Endo-Mags are your big three choices, although Scorpion and MP5 mag guns are out there. If you really get off the reservation, Sig's MPX offers a gas-locked system.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a PSA upper and Originally used a standard lower with a P-Mag Endomag conversion. It worked OK but was kind of an expensive way to go. The price of the conversion plus the price of a P-Mag.
View Quote

ztug,
You have a point.  I guess if you bought additional Pmags and adaptor x10 you'd  be at $400 plus another $400-500 for an upper....you're at $1000.

I haven't really thought about it that way.   BTW,  your PSA looks really sweet.  I like the upper/lower set.  Very nice.
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I went with the New Frontier Armory C5. It’s a nice billet lower that feeds from MP5 magazines. I am currently building 2 more.
View Quote

You and 44-40Pro have said New Frontier Armory, I haven't looked at these yet.  
44-40Pro, I really like the side charger option....I have a Gibbz Side Charger for a 6.5 Grendel I built from scratch.
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Droppoint,
Thanks for the link to your blowback website.  I've been going through it.  Very good stuff and thanks for taking the time to do that.  Interesting stuff and entertaining.
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Nothing wrong with the colt mag builds.  I have four of them...easy to build...easy to run.  I used Hahn mag adaptors on them so I can always go back to .223 caliber IF I chose to.  Also picked up a Macon Armory mag adaptor and am using that also.  All good.  Have one that has over 15,000 rounds thru it.  Using Taccom bolts in all of them.  Shooting them in competition 2-3 times a month(USPSA-PPC division).  They're a lot of fun....
Lots of information on here.  Just do your reading.
View Quote

Thank you Alvin, I don't have a a Glock so I don't have any mags, so I'm pretty open to Colt or Glock. Style.  I'm only leaning towards Glock because it seems like the most options, most popular, and most options on parts.  I'm going to check out your recommends because I don't know much about the Colt side of things either....obviously.
You are not kidding about the information.    I'm on overload drinking water through a firehose right now.  I like it though.  As an engineer, that is part of the excitement for me is researching, learning, and shopping, then building.  I like to build from scratch.  
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#33]
D16man,
what lower is that in with the CZ scorpion pattern?  That looks sharp.
-KTC
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Not sure why people think they are finicky.  Takes a little research but all mine have been 100% reliable.

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
2014JMS,
Details on that build.  Very cool looking.
Is that a upper/lower set?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
D16man,
what lower is that in with the CZ scorpion pattern?  That looks sharp.
-KTC
View Quote

That is a PSA AR-V.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Tactical.
Actually I missed the mention of PSA AR-V in his post.  

So the Scorpion is the same as an MP5 pattern?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks Tactical.
Actually I missed the mention of PSA AR-V in his post.  

So the Scorpion is the same as an MP5 pattern?
View Quote

No they are different.

NFA S-9 lower - CZ Scorpion mags

NFA C-5 Lower - MP5 mags
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Tactical for the links and help.
I thought the MP5 had curved mags similar to the scorpion.  I gotz some learning to do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks Tactical for the links and help.
I thought the MP5 had curved mags similar to the scorpion.  I gotz some learning to do.
View Quote

They do, just skinnier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Gotcha.  I like the way the Colt and MP5 styles look.  I'm not crazy about the angled Glock style.  
But my most important things is reliability and function.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Love my PSA AR-V 9 that uses CZ Scorpion mags. It’s ran flawlessly so far with the PSA Scorpion mags. The CZ Scorpion mags are easier to load than Glock mags. It does have more felt recoil but I prefer my AR-V 9 over my CMMG Banshee that is setup to use endo mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But my most important things is reliability and function.
View Quote

My MP5 build has been way more finicky then your average 9mm build and good mags are super expensive. Actually think I have a Glock cut BCG, which may have been most my problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Both of mine are Colt mag. style builds/guns.

First is a pistol with a Spikes Tactical lower and PSA bolt and upper.  Only problem was the PSA bolt and the feed section of the lower made contact.  A little dremel work on the feed section of the lower and the interference was gone.  Then the thing wouldn't eject.  Had to adjust the ejector with a pair of pliers there at the range.  After that it ran 100%.  I know of another PSA bolt/upper/lower gun a friend bought.  It also had the problem with bolt interference with the feed section of the lower.  Same dremel work fixed it.

Second is a carbine built similar to an XM177.  Colt mags again, mag. adaptor in a standard AR15 lower, flat side upper with a Faxon bolt.

Both of mine feed FMJ or 115 grain hollow points with no issues.

Blowback is a funny thing.  I don't "notice" it while shooting.  I do notice it once I'm done and see how dirty the gun is.  I notice it's worse with Winchester ammo, better with Federal ammo, best with my hot hollow points using a slow burning powder most don't consider for 9MM use.  

The lower the pressure, the more gas can leak back into the action.  If it leaks back into the action it can come out of all the holes in the upper receiver.

Both of mine run std. carbine springs and H2 buffers with spacers in the back of the buffer tube to limit the bolt rearward movement to protect the bolt catch from too much forward movement/velocity of the bolt after the last round is fired.  Runny standard AR hammers and hammer springs.  And 32 round magazines.

Honestly, mine are just for the range.  I never carry either when I can carry an AR15 instead.  But they are fun and the XM177 looking one just looks cool to me.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

-KTC
View Quote

Colt-style guns are a lot more reliable. C-Products Duramag magazines are, surprisingly, the best magazines for feed and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
id rather load colt style magazines than pistol mags (i’ve used c products, asc and metalform)
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

-KTC
View Quote

I own Glock pistols, but Glock PCC's are friggin ugly... the angle the mag comes out in relation to the grip and all is just fugly.

Colt or HK MP5 mags for your AR-9 is the way to go.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I went with Glock because I carry a Glock pistol.  It's a great accompaniment when I travel...2, 33 round mags plus the 3, 15 round mags for the pistol.  Sort of like the old west when your carbine shot the same ammo as your revolver.  And if that doesn't get the job done, there's always the 5.56 carbine in the back seat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Stern Defense makes Glock 9mm uppers and magwell adapters for Glock, S&W, and Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Glock mags…..for sure.

They can be picky. The blowback operation, the dirt, the headspacing ( because it doesn’t lock up, and because people mix parts, it can be problematic), and lack of standards for springs, buffers, barrel lengths, etc. all make it “interesting”

Stick with one company for barrel, bolt, and recoil system and you will be a leg up.
View Quote

I know nothing about pistol builds, but wouldn’t a 9mm headspace off the case mouth?  As long as the chamber is cut correctly why would headspace be an issue?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top