Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 3:00:04 PM EDT
This 18 barrel mid gas, in a side charger upper, lower a2 Stock 5 oz buffer

Not cycling.  34.7 LIL GUN 350 grain bullet load is causing the bolt to jam on the barely lifted front and of cartridge.
    Lower charges weren't ejecting consistently  

Any suggestions on what to swap,cut,bend.
Or what lighter buffer might work

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Not cycling.  34.7 LIL GUN 350 grain bullet load is causing the bolt to jam on the barely lifted front and of cartridge.

View Quote

I'm trying to translate this...

350 grain bullet? What cartridge is this?

You are getting bolt-over-base malfunctions? There are some bolt travel issues that can come into play but most often these are just magazine problems.

You describe a rifle stock, you're using a rifle buffer and rifle spring?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
.50 Beowulf,  its short stroking.

I didn't measure gas port hole, but its mid gas. 18 barrel I put on a bear creek side charger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are getting bolt-over-base malfunctions? There are some bolt travel issues that can come into play but most often these are just magazine problems.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On an a2 stock rifle spring 5.0 oz rifle buffer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The .458 S does not work well with midlength gas and fast powders like Lil-Gun and H110.  I don’t know about the .50B but if it’s like the .458S, you’d do better with slower powders like IMR or H 4198 or Reloader #7.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It does kinda sound like he's not getting enough energy, just enough to get the empty out but not enough to get the bolt far enough back to properly feed the next round.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It does kinda sound like he's not getting enough energy, just enough to get the empty out but not enough to get the bolt far enough back to properly feed the next round.
View Quote

Correct,  
 I Tried the next load up 34.9 lil gun , ejecting and stripping a case from the mag to chamber half the time.  
 Lyman 50. Shows 35.5 at max .
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Big bores, pressure drops more rapidly so generally need shorter gas systems to get enough energy. Faster powder doesn't maintain pressure for as long also needing a shorter gas system. In combination sounds like you're not getting enough umph. You could try to go to a lightweight BCG and buffer, and/or open the gas port a little but there's only so much those changes can do. Or just see what it does as you get closer to max loads and/or change to a slower powder.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top