Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2018 6:50:33 PM EDT
I'm thinking of building a 7.62x39 upper. I see that Faxon has discontinued their 7.62x39 barrel line (they used to make the exact thing I am looking for).
Does anyone know of a decent barrel manufacturer who still makes a 16" nitride 7.62x39 barrel with midlength gas and no heavier than a2/Gov't profile?
Thanks for any feedback/info!
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
After a lot of research I had decided on a Black Rifle Arms barrel when I was contemplating a 7.62x39 build.  Their barrels meet all of your criteria, plus they have properly sized feed ramps for 7.62.  They look impressive.

I didn't order one because I decided to build a 6.8 instead.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Faxon has the 7.62x39 listed on their site and available.  Brownell's has it for less money and Righttobear has it for $145 which is a steal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Faxon has the 7.62x39 listed on their site and available.  Brownell's has it for less money and Righttobear has it for $145 which is a steal.
View Quote
Hmm. I just checked Brownell's and they're listed as "discontinued by manufacturer".

ETA: I see they have the Faxon "Gunner" profile, but the Gov't profile is listed as "discontinued". I guess the gunner is the next closest thing. Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll +1 the faxon barrel, have it in my KS47 build, just need to iron out the FTF issues - probably ammo related but when it runs it runs like a raped ape
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmm. I just checked Brownell's and they're listed as "discontinued by manufacturer".

ETA: I see they have the Faxon "Gunner" profile, but the Gov't profile is listed as "discontinued". I guess the gunner is the next closest thing. Thanks for that info!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Gov't profile on my build, got it when they were closing out. The GUNNER is the same barrel just lighter on the muzzle end. Very accurate barrel for a x39 rifle.

I have a GUNNER on my 3 gun rifle at it is still accurate thousands of rounds later.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a Gov't profile on my build, got it when they were closing out. The GUNNER is the same barrel just lighter on the muzzle end. Very accurate barrel for a x39 rifle.

I have a GUNNER on my 3 gun rifle at it is still accurate thousands of rounds later.
View Quote
Nice! Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Faxon Gunner 7.62x39 and I love it.

Good weight
Nitride
Mid length
5/8x24
View Quote
I'm in the planning phase for a 16" 7.62x39 build as well.

What has your experience been with accuracy of the 1/8 twist using 123gr ammo? Better/worse than the standard 1/10 twist?

How about the mid-gas? Is the gas port sized right or did you need to make buffer/spring/adjustable GB changes to dial it in?
I only plan to shoot 123gr Wolf ammo I've had for years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm in the planning phase for a 16" 7.62x39 build as well.

What has your experience been with accuracy of the 1/8 twist using 123gr ammo? Better/worse than the standard 1/10 twist?

How about the mid-gas? Is the gas port sized right or did you need to make buffer/spring/adjustable GB changes to dial it in?
I only plan to shoot 123gr Wolf ammo I've had for years.
View Quote
I shoot Monarch through my 16" Faxon same as Wolf, probably is Wolf re boxed for Acadamy.  Surprisingly accurate and ran perfectly from the word go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Will all fit into milspec multi cal ar 15 lower?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Timely thread, bim going to do a bear creek arsenal side charger ×39 build

Barrel and bolt is all that is different right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. I’m finishing up a 7.62x39 build, all I have left is the bcg. I went with the Anderson plane Jane 16” HBar, it was on sale for $77 including shipping so I figured what the hell.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will all fit into milspec multi cal ar 15 lower?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The extractor is different and you should use a longer firing pin. If you buy a complete bolt carrier group, as apposed to a stripped bolt, like the ones aim surplus sells you'll be set.
Barrel.
Bcg.
Mag.
That's it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I haven't done any accuracy testing on it yet.

I put an adjustable gas block on it from the start. Standard M16 carrier, standard hammer spring, carbine buffer, carbine spring and there was still room to adjust the gas down.
View Quote
I read where you slugged the 10.5" Faxon barrel and found it was .308... have you had a chance to slug the 16" barrel yet? Faxon doesn't have the spec on their website.

Imagine its the same .308 so accuracy will be somewhat diminished using Wolf and other .311 projectiles.

I'll keep looking for a 16" lightweight .311 diameter barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top