Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2023 10:28:23 PM EDT
I have 3 16” ARs, Colt 6920LE, Saint Victor, and DB Black Gold, so a nice collection, but nothing high end. Also, rumor has it that I lost an AR pistol. Looking to add a 14.5” to these. Looking at BCM, DD, or a Geissele Super Duty (none in stock) in ascending price order. I realize value is always relative, but just wondering if one of these is a must have. As a side note my son-in-law has a super duty 16” as his LE issued AR, shoots fantastic. Thanks for suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh on BCM.

For a tier 1 at you need to look at LMT, KAC, OR Triarc.  

I have a 14.5 DD M4A1 SOPMOD made by DD that I like but you're probably not going to be able to find one.  

To add I have DD, Knights, and Geissele.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM is good to go, so is the DD.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking to add a 14.5” to these. Looking at BCM, DD, or a Geissele Super Duty
View Quote

Bravo Company 14.5” ELW Accuracy: A Quick Look

ELW stands for enhanced light-weight. This barrel is from Bravo Company’s cold-hammer forged series of barrels. The barrel has a “continuous taper” design with a smooth shoulder at the gas block journal, which reportedly improves barrel harmonics. This barrel has a mid-length gas system and a 0.625” gas block journal.

According to Bravo Company, this barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 5 ounces. For comparison, a Colt 14.5” M4 barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 9 ounces.

BCM 14.5” ELW

Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. (not stripped)

I purchased this barrel as part of a BCM factory assembled upper receiver group with the MCMR 13” free-float hand guard. The barrel has BCM’s pinned and welded A2X flash hider.

Shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards (using a high magnification scope), this barrel produced a 10-shot group that has an extreme spread of 0.946” with a mean radius of 0.33”.

reports of problems with geissele's

geissele super duty fails to eject, fails to lock bolt back

four geissele barrels fail to extract part 1

four geissele barrels fail to extract part 2

16" geissele barrel won't cycle

Having to Mortar brand new 11.5 URGI part 1

having to mortar brand new 11.5" URGI part 2

geissele 16" barrel short-stroking

problem with yet another geissele 16" super duty

geissele super duty won't reliably chamber rounds

geissele barrel won't cycle reliably part 1

geissele barrel won't cycle reliably part 2

geissele 11.5" won't cycle reliably without a suppressor

geissele gas port size issue

geissele barrel won't even unlock

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
BCMs are rock solid in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just throwing this out but BCM is currently including BCGs with uppers for free.  Pretty sweet deal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have read nothing but good things about the criterion barrels. If grand thumb (mike) gives it seal of approval that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I think DD is top tier. They make all their stuff in house and make some of the best barrels. I would go with them.

I have KAC and G Doody as well. Oh and a Colt build. My least fav is the G. It's just chunky with their rails. KAC is very nice as is the Colt SOCOM build.

I've just been happiest overall with the Double Ds.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Also Colt.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here. Also Colt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Also Colt.

Lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both Geissele and BCM in 14.5 (pics) along with Centurion Arms and Colt 6920 I had cut down.

DD has a solid reputation as well.

14.5 is an excellent size to balance and give good velocity and maneuverability.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IF…I was going to get (some more) 14.5” barreled guns, they’d be Colt SOCOMs.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Colt-M4A1-SOCOM-Barrel-Accuracy-Another-Look/118-762088/
View Quote

Colt Socoms are the best CL barrels out there imho.

I’d also look at DD for complete rifle/upper or criterion for just a barrel.

Most of the other manufacturers that market CHF CL barrels source their barrels from FN. And while pricing is all over the map depending on ‘brand’ they are mostly all made by FN. You will need to do your research here. They are great barrels also.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Love my BCM ELW 14.5 it's a very handy gun.

" />
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got this LMT L7D1 from Rooftop Defense. It's their version of an M4A1. No BCG or CH for $577 with discount code arfcom

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just got this LMT L7D1 from Rooftop Defense. It's their version of an M4A1.

View Quote

That is not an M4A1 profile barrel.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I was just paraphrasing their verbiage

"Standard flat-top upper receiver with 14.5? chrome lined 1:7? twist 5.56 barrel. Meeting todays military specifications, the L7D1 is a common equivalent to the upper delivered on the US M4A1 5.56 carbine."
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here. Also Colt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Also Colt.

My Colts have been exceptional too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two 14.5 guns, one is a BCM M4 carbine upper on a BCM lower, and the other is a BCM upper receiver with a Colt SOCOM barrel riding on a BCM lower. I am big on BCM and out of the three you mentioned that is what I would choose, not to say that I have anything against Geissele or DD, I just don't have much experience with them. I don't see anything that makes them worth more than the BCM guns other than preference. Later today I will upload some pics to this thread of my two.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
^sounds like a plan.

I just grabbed a Blem upper from BCM for $60 and plan to match it to a Colt Barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I was doing some work for PWS, they were gonna send me an upper for testing.  That upper got waylaid, so they sent a 14.5" barrel.  They don't sell this barrel standalone, only as part of a compete firearm.

It has been an excellent barrel, but for now it's just sitting in the parts box until I build another upper I suppose
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#24]
If you’re cool with rolling your own the Colt SOCOM barrel is hard to beat. It’s moderately priced, properly gassed, and more accurate than a button rifled chrome lined barrel should be.

I’d also second the recommendation for BCM. I’m not sure I get the BCM hate here as of late as they sell a solid product.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top