Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 7:30:26 PM EDT
I have a DD 14.5 inch lightweight barrell coming in to pair with my adams arms maniaml low profile flash hider. Id like to run it with a quad rail that ends right at the start of the flash hider. I really like Midwest Industries combat t series rails. Would a 14 inch rail work or would it be too long? I dont want the rail to cover the flash hider.  If possible I would really like to see pictures of similar 14.5 set ups(it would really help this project if I could have visual examples) . This is my first build (Ive been waiting a loonngg time to be able to build). The flash hider will be pinned and welded.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The shoulder of the threaded portion is typically .625” back from the muzzle, assuming your barrel is exactly 14.5” (barrels are often +/- a bit) and the rail is exactly 14” (they also vary depending on brand) your rail will be slightly over the threads.

This probably isn’t a big deal assuming that everything measures exactly as advertised and you don’t plan to mount a suppressor. Personally I’d err on the side of caution and go for a slightly shorter rail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the Midwest Industries site the actual length of that Combat T rail is 14" so I would imagine it would be just slightly over the flash hider.
This pic was taken from the "What Rail Length Do I Need? A Guide" thread.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If I remember right, this is a 15" handguard on a 16" barrel. I think a 14 on a 14.5 would cover a bit of the flash hider, but probably not enough to matter.
https://imgur.com/gallery/eWyC08U

This is a 12" on a 14.5". I actually think I like the couple of inches of exposed barrel better.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fPf1lqW
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Bluedog what you need is a 13.5" rail and it will end right at the back of your muzzle device, a 14" rail will certainly over lap it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bluedog what you need is a 13.5" rail and it will end right at the back of your muzzle device, a 14" rail will certainly over lap it.
View Quote

This will certainly guarantee clearance, but even of the rail encroaches upon the threads it will not cover the ports of the brake which is what really matters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This will certainly guarantee clearance, but even of the rail encroaches upon the threads it will not cover the ports of the brake which is what really matters.
View Quote

Covering ports, yep not good.  I have or had set up a couple uppers with rails being an inch shorter than the barrels, they always seem to end up right at or just a hair past the back of the barrel threads.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

What on earth were they thinking......
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Have no earthly idea.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top