Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2019 8:20:43 PM EDT
I have started my first AR build. I’m stuck on barrel and BCG selection. I’m looking for something accurate but really durable. Pretty set on cold hammer forged. I’m torn between BCM BFH ELW or even government profile or DD government profile. As stated in title, 14.5 mid length.
Plan is
Aero M4E1 receiver set-already purchased
Geiselle Mk16 13.5 inch rail in DDC-Purchased
Geiselle-SSA trigger-purchased
Geiselle-Airborne charging handle-purchased
Geiselle bolt catch-Purchased
14.5 inch barrel- mid length has system
BCG-?
Aero M4E1 lower parts kit
KNS anti walk pins
Radian ambi safety
BCM Mod 3 pistol grip
BCM short vertical grip mod 3
B5 SOPMOD stock
BCM A5 stock system
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM barrel and Toolcraft or AO precision bcg. BCM bcg if you want to pay more for a name
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If accuracy is a high priority I’d check out Criterion barrels. They’re not hammer forged, but they are high quality steel and chrome lined. They are usually more accurate than your standard chrome lines barrels.

Criterion Barrels vs Cold Hammer Forged: A Comparative Analysis
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Daniel Defense 14.5" middy and chrome BCG would be hard to beat.

https://danieldefense.com/complete-bolt-carrier-group-chrome-plated-5-56mm.html

https://danieldefense.com/14-5-5-56mm-1-7-gov-profile.html

ETA: Ditch the KNS pins.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
BCM traditionally had issues with their 14.5" midlengths, I don't know if they ever fixed their gas port size issues or not.

Hammer forged makes little real difference in barrel longevity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM traditionally had issues with their 14.5" midlengths, I don't know if they ever fixed their gas port size issues or not.

View Quote
Really? Never heard of this. I’ve had several 14.5” BCM BFH uppers in MLGS and none of them were overgassed. In fact, next to my SR-15 Mod 2, my older BCM is the softest recoiling 14.5” I own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really? Never heard of this. I’ve had several 14.5” BCM BFH uppers in MLGS and none of them were overgassed. In fact, next to my SR-15 Mod 2, my older BCM is the softest recoiling 14.5” I own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used to have inadequate gas. The number of reliability problems gave the 14.5 midlength a bad name for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What are you plans for the rifle, are you plinking steel, shooting groups, doing 3 gun, hunting, taking carbine courses? Of the barrels you listed, none of them are really going to make or break you.  Without knowing more details, its really hard to go wrong with a DD or BCM. both put all solid products
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everybody for the advice!  From what I’ve read the BCM 14.5s are supposed to be pretty soft recoiling?  I just remember reading through some threads that indicated their bolt carrier groups had some machine markings and it made me want to ask about their quality control. I know DD has high standards and makes stuff in house but possibly over gassed?  Any thoughts if i go BCM on ELW vs government profile?  Any reason to believe the ELW would be less accurate or not as durable?  I do not want to sacrifice durability or longevity for weight. Not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
It's hard to know what direction to point you without knowing what you're truly needing out of your rifle.

You talk about accuracy, but are only talking about "rack grade" barrels.

Then you're talking about longevity and durability... in what kind of firing schedule? Precision barrels don't stay precision very long, but that doesn't matter if you're just looking for rack grade anyway.

Longevity of the barrel depends mostly on combination of barrel material, firing schedules, and barrel profile. Use more erosion-resistant steel, don't shoot too fast and get the barrel hot, and have a heavy barrel which absorbs more heat from firing.

If you want to use your rifle as an "arm and shoulder day" workout substitute, get something like a Daniel Defense S2W profile and have fun.

Or get a lighter profile barrel and don't do magdumps.

Or just recognize that barrels are a consumable component and will eventually wear out. You'll spend somewhere on the order of 10 to 20 times as much money on ammo to wear out a barrel as the cost of the barrel, so why get hung up on barrel longevity? Get a spare.

Barrel bore finish (chrome or nitride) does help some on barrel life, but can also degrade precision (chrome moreso than nitride).

Rifling production method doesn't have a significant impact on bore erosion.

BCM's "super soft shooting" is apparently because their gas ports are too small.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Toolcraft bcg and then catch a good brand like Ballistic Advantage on sale.  If you want to get spendy, then the worlds your oyster in terms of expensive barrels.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Bravo Eag upper, It runs 100%.
Daniels makes great barrels too.
Noveske are also top of the line.

Bravo is my go to BCG. It have one in almost all my guns.

With that said, My last few builds, I found it easyier to just buy a complete top end.
You get the BCG, Barrel, Muzzle device, Charging handle.
All together and at a cheaper price than if you piece it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
My experience with 2 BCM 14.5” middies (LW Andy ELW) has been good. Both are very soft shooting. Both have been 100% reliable... although in colder weather (30’s) with lower powered ammo (PMC) cycling can be noticeably sluggish... i.e. brass literally kids plops about a foot or two out of the ejection port. Accuracy (precision) has been average (2-3MOA with range ammo).

If precision is a high priority, look at the DD and Criterion barrels. My URG-I with DD barrel is impressively accurate with 77gr SMK, and even with bulk Federal .223. I also have a 16” mid-length Criterion 1/8 that is also impressively accurate (sub-MOA with 55gr SBKs). Both barrels have also been 100% reliable with no cycling issues noted.

As for BCG, I use AO Precision.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Good advice guys.  I’m gonna go with DD. I like they make parts in house, cold hammer forged, accurate, and durable. Unless there is a reason to get a BCG from the same company I think I’m gonna get a nitride or nickel boron from Toolcraft. I’ve only seen good things on here about them. About stock system... is the A5 system beneficial?  Or just get some standard system with a heavier buffer?  Say H2 for the DD government profile?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They used to have inadequate gas. The number of reliability problems gave the 14.5 midlength a bad name for a long time.
View Quote
I've been shooting the same BCM 14.5 mid since 2014 with an H buffer and whatever garbage ammo I find for cheap. Never an issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BCM barrel and Toolcraft or AO precision bcg. BCM bcg if you want to pay more for a name
View Quote
Toolcraft all the way. WC Armory has a nice selection. I think a lot of the sponsors on this site also sell them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]
With the DD14.5 mid length  would a VLTOR A5 with H2 buffer be a wise choice?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#18]
A5 system will have an A5 buffer, H2 is a carbine system buffer.  A5 buffer functions like a rifle buffer in a shorter size. Do not use a carbine-size buffer in an A5 buffer tube, it will result in damage to your lower receiver.

A5 buffer should work fine.

It's crucial that all buffer system parts (tube, spring, and buffer) be of the correct size for that system, be it rifle, carbine, or the A5 system.  A5 system has particular size of both buffer and tube, and uses a rifle spring.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
My first choice for hammer forged barrels is the Spikes Optimal Profile series...great quality and just about the perfect weight and profile.

I have both a 16” and a 14.5”, great shooters for the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
That sounds pretty cool. It appears a lot of people like spikes tactical for a number of different parts. I went with the Daniel Defense 14.5 Mid length. I also purchased the DD standard. BCG. I’m going to use the geiselle super gas block and a surefire warcomp. I plan on sending in the barrel to ADCO to get the warcomp pinned on. Should I also send in the geiselle super gas block to have that pinned on as well?

Also, I purchased a normal mil spec receiver tube with a springco blue spring and H2 buffer. Excited to get this thing put together!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not quite.

BCM purposely sized the gas port to work with 5.56 pressure ammo. They even specifically stated it. They had disclaimers on their website and product pages for it. As such, it may or may not cycle reliably with cheap and underpowered ammo.

Morons (buyers) ignored the warning(s), bought the barrels and uppers to build their 'Operator' ARs, then fed them shit ammo and complained when they choked, a lot. The best part was reading the ones that were using heavier (than standard 3oz. and SS) buffers and springs.

Mine has run everything I've fed it as well, but I don't shoot steel cased or underpowered crap. I have a Sprinco Blue and 4.0oz. ST-T2 in it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I just finished a build based on a BCM CHF 14.5 mid-length upper. It has a AO BCG (from RTB) and Spikes buffer assembly with their 4 oz T2 buffer. I have run a variety of ammo (Win 62g OTP, old Spanish surplus SS109, Wolf Gold, Magtech 77g SMK) with 100% reliability and a picture-perfect ejection pattern.

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
This may be a dumb question, but I’m gonna be sending my barrel and gas block off to ADCO to get the warcomp pinned on. Does the barrel get set screwed prior to getting pinned? I assume it’s both, right?  If so, will that be two charges?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
They shouldn't charge you for installing set screws. DD customer service is top notch. Call them if you have any questions.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top