Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 12:42:20 AM EDT
What's up ARFCOM,

I'm honestly struggling with this decision a bit.  I have an Aero lower sitting here that I've been planning on doing a pistol build on.  

After hearing glowing reviews (not from guntubers/instagram dudes but actual shooters), I was pretty set on purchasing a barreled Triarc 12.5 upper.  Hodge handguard, Track 2.0 barrels, and their finish work seems top notch.  The upper in the configuration I'd order it (Warcomp, cerakote handguard, no BCG/CH) comes out to about $900, but then I need to also purchase an SBA3, buffer tube, Sprinco Blue spring, H2 buffer, Radian Raptor SD, and Toolcraft BCG which brings the total up to about $1200.  

The FN 15 Tactical FDE PLOK is a rifle I've noticed over the past month and have been eyeing.  It seems like it's went over most people's radar, even here on ARFCOM.  16 inch CHF barrel, tanodized receiver set, what I'm assuming to be a better BCG, Hodge handguard, and B5 furniture all for around $1350-$1400ish depending on where you find it.  That seems like a steal to me.  I would have to get the upper sent off to be chopped/rethreaded/pin/welded with a Warcomp down the line, so that's like another $200-$250 but not an immediate cost.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My concern is that I eventually want to suppress and honestly feel like longer rifles (read: 14.5 and above) feel a bit unwieldy with suppressors, namely full sized cans like I plan on purchasing (Surefire SOCOM300 SPS).  They're not impossible to use by any means, I just prefer the handling of the 10.3s, 11.5s, and 12.5s I've had the opportunity to use.  No prior experience on the 13.7 platform has me concerned as to how they feel suppressed when using a full sized can.

So, what do you guys think?  I'm in over my head here.  I know both will end up as fantastic ARs, but both have equal weight aspects favoring them (ideal barrel/gas setup with Warcomp preinstalled vs complete rifle, tanodized receiver set, great stock furniture).

TL;DR: $1200ish for a Triarc 12.5 upper plus some essential parts vs $1350-$1400 for a FN 15 Tactical FDE PLOK rifle whose barrel will get chopped/pin/welded later on
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Even though the FN is tanodized, I like the Triarc handguard better so that's what I'd get. You can get the Triarc upper in any length so that's irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel wise, it's going to be hard to beat a Triarc. I've seen people shoot some crazy groups with those barrels. If I was in the market for a barrel now, the Triarc would be at the top of the list.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top