Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2021 7:49:46 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the ballistic advantage BA Hanson 11.3” barrel and Vltor A5 buffer? I’ve been using A5 systems in rifle length barrels for awhile most of them with adjustable gas blocks. I’ve heard the BA Hanson barrels have gas ports on the smaller size so I’m trying it with the factory pinned gas block first. I can’t find any numbers in the BA Hanson gas port size and I don’t have the barrel in my possession yet. I’m not sure if I should start out with the 3.8oz A5 buffer or the 5.2oz. Will be using a sprinco green spring.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If your ba barrel does indeed have a small port which you could/should check, I'd certainly start with a lighter buffer set-up and progress from there testing with some cheap/low powered range type ammo to start.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 11.5 criterion that I believe has a .069" gas port. With sprinco green A5H2 runs good with ~4 oclock ejection. It might be a bit on the heavy side but I have ~400 rounds so far with no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with the ballistic advantage BA Hanson 11.3” barrel and Vltor A5 buffer? I’ve been using A5 systems in rifle length barrels for awhile most of them with adjustable gas blocks. I’ve heard the BA Hanson barrels have gas ports on the smaller size so I’m trying it with the factory pinned gas block first. I can’t find any numbers in the BA Hanson gas port size and I don’t have the barrel in my possession yet. I’m not sure if I should start out with the 3.8oz A5 buffer or the 5.2oz. Will be using a sprinco green spring.
View Quote

If you are concerned with the port being too small, more weight is not likely the answer.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know what size the port is. I don’t have the barrel yet and when I get it I don’t believe I have a way of measuring it that precisely. I was hoping someone with experience with that barrel and A5 buffer could give me a starting point.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the A5 tube on a 16" Hanson premium barrel (with gas block installed already), along with a Tubbs 308 buffer spring and a Kynshot RB5007 9mm buffer that weighed 6ozs.

It cycled without a hiccup. I was shot 2 load ladders with 55gr bullets, low to max loads all cycled fine. Felt like shooting a 22lr.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t know what size the port is. I don’t have the barrel yet and when I get it I don’t believe I have a way of measuring it that precisely. I was hoping someone with experience with that barrel and A5 buffer could give me a starting point.
View Quote

Understood.  FWIW, my experience and philosophy is that any AR should run with a standard buffer and spring.  If you need to you can adjust by going to a heavier buffer or AGB, or both.  Most guys say H2 is perfect for a 10.5" gun but mine runs great with a standard carbine buffer and spring.  I always start there, well except for 9mm blowback which is a different discussion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I emailed ballistic advantage and they said the 11.3” BA Hanson has a .070” gas port and they suggest running a standard carbine buffer or the A5 h0.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 10.3” BA Hanson running with an A5 system. No issues at all and it’s a smooth shooter. I haven’t used anything other than American Eagle M855 or similar
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 10.3” BA Hanson running with an A5 system. No issues at all and it’s a smooth shooter. I haven’t used anything other than American Eagle M855 or similar
View Quote

Buffer weight?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s the A5-2 buffer
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the 11.5 BA modern barrel. A5H2 buffer in mine. No issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep reading this and debating doing it myself

Already have the A5H0 and spring sitting in my work bench, just have to pull trigger on getting a Vltor tube
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top