Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2020 11:12:35 AM EDT
I have a 10mm 300 Banshee on order with CMMG, expecting about 10 weeks to ship, and would like to hear from anyone who owns one .
Reliable? Can I expect similar extraction spring life compared to 9mm/40S&W? From what little I can find online it looks like it will not run well with the typically weak commercial loads (40 S&W velocities) but will run with normal or hot loads. That's OK as I reload for my G20 and don't run reduced loads.
Looking for some assurance I'm not spending $1600 on a gun that will give me headaches.

New CMMG 10mm Banshee MK10 pistol! Heck yeah!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen this thread?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/CMMG-10-mm/15-743632/&page=2

That is mainly discussing the barrel / chamber.

My buddy hasn't had time to run that many rounds through his MK10.

On my .40SW RDB I've still had to replace the ejector spring (new MK10 spring) still at around the 1K mark for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I just found a 200 in stock below MSRP and jumped on it. It should be here next week. I ordered 3 more 30 round mags at $17.99 each. I am impatient and don’t want to wait 8 to 10 weeks or pay $500 over retail to get a 300 now
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one right away and was impressed with the way it shot.. Accurate, reliable, etc.  Then I went to pick up the brass for reloading.  It was all bulged to the point of it being ruined.  

CMMG does  not think nor do they want to address this concern.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then I went to pick up the brass for reloading.  It was all bulged to the point of it being ruined.  

CMMG does  not think nor do they want to address this concern.
View Quote
That is what the thread is talking about that I linked above.  

My buddy got one of Rudy's 10mm barrels that he uses in his CMMG MK10.  He reloads and there is no bulging with his barrel.
He is using an old Bazooka Brothers Grease Gun mag lower.

CMMG does have their 9mm and 45 repair kit on their website:

They also have a 40SW kit available but not on their website yet.
If I were to do a 10mm, I'd ask if they have the 10mm bolt repair kit and just use the carrier from one of my 9mm / 40SW or 45 builds.  Then get a barrel from Rudy.   For a lower, I would use my MGI GG magwell or some other lower that uses GG mags....or just get their lower if you want to use Glock mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If the 10mm Banshee is a shoot once and throw away the brass then I'm out. I reload for all of my guns to get the loads I want so ruined brass is a show stopper. Unless I hear from @CMMGinc in the next few days and they say they have fixed the swollen brass issue I'll cancel my order.

@Mad-Machinist
I'm still looking for a reliable 10mm carbine, what can you do for me?
My requirements/use are: able to run full power 10mm, runs well with heavy subsonic loads, runs well with a can on it, runs hi-cap mags preferably Glock since I already have them, barrel length in the 8-10 inch range. Not interested in running 40 S&W level loads. Does not destroy the brass.

A BIG thanks to those who replied and saved me from a $1600 headache.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The only reason why I'm such a 10mm nut is that it's so easily reloadable. I haven't followed the other thread, but the "Glock smile" is a real thing that I deal with when reloading 10mm and 40s&w from glocks. I push all such brass through a pass through sizing die which gets rid of any bulges. I guess the question is just how bad is it? Is it not easily correctable with such a pass through sizing setup?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They also have a 40SW kit available but not on their website yet.
If I were to do a 10mm, I'd ask if they have the 10mm bolt repair kit and just use the carrier from one of my 9mm / 40SW or 45 builds.  Then get a barrel from Rudy.   For a lower, I would use my MGI GG magwell or some other lower that uses GG mags....or just get their lower if you want to use Glock mags.
View Quote

How well do GG mags work with 10mm?  

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
very well.  My friend uses them for his full auto UZI in 10mm and the CMMG MK10.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the 10mm Banshee is a shoot once and throw away the brass then I'm out. I reload for all of my guns to get the loads I want so ruined brass is a show stopper. Unless I hear from @CMMGinc in the next few days and they say they have fixed the swollen brass issue I'll cancel my order.

@Mad-Machinist
I'm still looking for a reliable 10mm carbine, what can you do for me?
My requirements/use are: able to run full power 10mm, runs well with heavy subsonic loads, runs well with a can on it, runs hi-cap mags preferably Glock since I already have them, barrel length in the 8-10 inch range. Not interested in running 40 S&W level loads. Does not destroy the brass.

A BIG thanks to those who replied and saved me from a $1600 headache.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat.  Reloadable brass is a must.  As sexy as the Banshee is, it's a no go for me too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.  Reloadable brass is a must.  As sexy as the Banshee is, it's a no go for me too.
View Quote

Then DI is the way to go. The chamber in my RMW EXTREME  DI 10MM is fully supported, brass comes out great and no smilies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The bulged brass is somewhat rifle dependent. Here are pictures of a full power 10mm load with 180 gr HST, R-P Nickel OFB, CCI #350 and 9.6 gr of Longshot at 1.240". First picture is from my rifle, second from my buddy who just bought a new MK10 200 series. These should be cooking with around 250-260 power factor. We were both using the midweight buffer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Note, I've run about 2k rds thru my gun, largely 180 gr FMJ over 8.5 gr of Longshot (starter load, equivalent to S&B 1150 fps loads) and the brass doesn't bulge. The 500 ct lot of Federal brass I've been using is getting tossed after the 5th reload.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The bulged brass is somewhat rifle dependent. Here are pictures of a full power 10mm load with 180 gr HST, R-P Nickel OFB, CCI #350 and 9.6 gr of Longshot at 1.240". First picture is from my rifle, second from my buddy who just bought a new MK10 200 series. These should be cooking with around 250-260 power factor. We were both using the midweight buffer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20200908_100755_jpg-1592206.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20200908_100738_jpg-1592207.JPG

Note, I've run about 2k rds thru my gun, largely 180 gr FMJ over 8.5 gr of Longshot (starter load, equivalent to S&B 1150 fps loads) and the brass doesn't bulge. The 500 ct lot of Federal brass I've been using is getting tossed after the 5th reload.
View Quote

@PointBlank82
If I understand you correctly your 10mm Banshee bulges the brass on full power loads (first pic) but your buddies new Banshee has very little case bulging (second pic) with the same full power loads? So either CMMG has changed the barrel chambering to minimize the problem or there is a big variation from one gun to the next.
It would be nice if @CMMGinc commented on this. I'll still cancel my order unless I have assurance from CMMG that they have solved this problem. The brass you shot from your gun looks to be trashed, at least I would not trust reloading it in that condition.
Thanks PointBlank82 for your help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@PointBlank82
If I understand you correctly your 10mm Banshee bulges the brass on full power loads (first pic) but your buddies new Banshee has very little case bulging (second pic) with the same full power loads? So either CMMG has changed the barrel chambering to minimize the problem or there is a big variation from one gun to the next.
It would be nice if @CMMGinc commented on this. I'll still cancel my order unless I have assurance from CMMG that they have solved this problem. The brass you shot from your gun looks to be trashed, at least I would not trust reloading it in that condition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20200908_100755_jpg-1592206.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20200908_100738_jpg-1592207.JPG

@PointBlank82

It did the same with Sig V-Crown 180 jhp too, which isn't even as hot a round (1250-1300 fps). I didn't even bother picking up that brass as it was worse (must use a faster powder).

My gun is a 2019 build I think, my buddy got his this summer. Either internal parts wore out in 2k rds, or the barrel dimensions changed. Either way I hope the issue is resolved as I LOVE shooting the thing!

ETA: and to expand on the brass swelling, I was content shooting plinking level ammo thru the gun for practice as the recoil difference between plinking loads and full power is negligible due to the muzzlebrake and RDB action. Target ammo brass is completely reusable. I'll post some pictures of those for example.

I sent the gun back because it was beginning to become unreliable shooting any ammo I tried, plinking, SD, etc. If they find the barrel is offspec and replace with a tighter chamber, even better.

5th fired FC 10MM brass from Banshee MK10. 180 gr pulled FN FMJ over 8.5 gr Longshot, Winchester LP Primer, 1.240":

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I sent the gun back because it was beginning to become unreliable shooting any ammo I tried, plinking, SD, etc. If they find the barrel is offspec and replace with a tighter chamber, even better.

View Quote

Was the failures due to the ejector?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double feeds, failure to extract, sometimes the brass would be lodged sideways inside the upper and I'd have to pry it out. Extractor looked OK to me on inspection.

Happened with a variety of mags too. Standard G20 15 rd, SGM 30 rd, etc. I have 16 of the SGM mags and could not pinpoint one that was "bad" as some of the youtube videos discuss. I have a couple G29s, a G40 and a MechTech conversion upper that they all run perfectly thru.

There was definitely some wear developing on the angled bolt lugs, but CMMG told me that was normal and to be expected and wouldn't affect function, however the bolt life span was probably only 10k rounds. I was expecting problems around that round count and was planning to buy a replacement bolt/barrel in anticipation of needing a replacement.

My costs to shoot 10mm (~$175/k) even with only 5 reloads on the brass are well below shooting 5.56mm, so I wasn't particularly concerned with the price of a future bolt/barrel in another year or so.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Did some forum searches and it seems that the 9mm banshee's are experiencing ejector spring failures at 1k rds? Very interesting. I have about 500 rds thru my 9mm banshee MKGS so far and will note if I begin having issues. Presently shooting about 300-400 rds/wk

Here's a picture of the ejector springs @BeltFed_1 ended up replacing.

So I contacted CMMG via email and explained my Failures to Eject that just started happening close to 500 rounds or so on my 9mm barrel/BCG build. I described what my ejector spring looked like, and based solely on that, the rep sent me a couple of replacements via mail. I just got them today.

In the image below, from left to right, you have a standard unknown-brand 5.56 ejector spring unused for comparison, then the middle is the ejector spring that was in my RDB (notice how much shorter, and bent), and on the right is one of the two springs CMMG sent me as a replacement. Notice on the replacement how much taller, and the slight purple tone or paint on one side.

After I installed it, it definitely felt much stiffer than both the original spring, and the 5.56 spring. I have a backup RDB bolt, and this new spring is definitely stiffer than even that brand new unused bolt ejector spring. So I will be swapping that one too. It looks like CMMG might have gone to a different ejector spring after I bought my barrel/BCG kits around October 2018.
View Quote

Will be interesting if this is the problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
PointBlank82

I was wondering if it is a worn ejector spring causing the problem as amphibian has documented in detail.
The wear on the lugs doesn't look too bad from the photo. If you get 10k rounds until replacement is needed that's not unreasonable. I don't shoot near that amount of 10mm so it would last me a lifetime.
The only thing holding me back is the brass bulging. If they have fixed that I wont cancel my order.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PointBlank82

I was wondering if it is a worn ejector spring causing the problem as amphibian has documented in detail.
The wear on the lugs doesn't look too bad from the photo. If you get 10k rounds until replacement is needed that's not unreasonable. I don't shoot near that amount of 10mm so it would last me a lifetime.
The only thing holding me back is the brass bulging. If they have fixed that I wont cancel my order.
View Quote

If you buy one of these you'll be shooting more 10mm... trust me. My wife loves shooting it too. No where near the thwack that MechTech has and with the 8" barrel has an effective range over 100 yds with full power loads.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you buy one of these you'll be shooting more 10mm... trust me. My wife loves shooting it too. No where near the thwack that MechTech has and with the 8" barrel has an effective range over 100 yds with full power loads.
View Quote

For now my 10mm shooting is limited do to the lack of components. I will be making a form 1 10mm can so that will have me shooting more. Funny you mention the MechTech, I have one but because of the weight & recoil I don't shoot it much. Probably sell it to help finance this project.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered a 9mm Banshee.

Now I see this.  Should I order spare springs to keep on hand?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I would keep a couple of Mk10 ejector springs on hand.  CMMG recommends a stock AR-15 extractor spring and that's what I'm running.  Others have had success with different configurations, but both my 8" 9mm uppers are working 100%.  I don't have a feel for the life of the ejector spring, but it's easy enough to change.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered three spare MK10 springs when I ordered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Curious if you can run .40 through the 10mm Banshee.  I have a lot of .40 on hand and even considered buying a .40 Banshee but if the 10mm Banshee will shoot both with a spring and buffer adjustment I would definitely go that route.  Would be the best of both for me.  Thx
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Curious if you can run .40 through the 10mm Banshee.  I have a lot of .40 on hand and even considered buying a .40 Banshee but if the 10mm Banshee will shoot both with a spring and buffer adjustment I would definitely go that route.  Would be the best of both for me.  Thx
View Quote
I don't know for sure but I doubt it.  Headspacing is on the mouth of the case so I would think a .40 round would go too deep in the chamber and even if the extractor did hold it strong enough for the primer to detonate, I would think that the bullet may jack up the chamber as it would be 'free bore' a bit before it hits the end of the chamber.

I also think that the lugs on the 10mm bolt have less 'aggressive' angles to delay the bolt more since it is a higher pressure than .40.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top