Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2020 7:57:48 PM EDT
Just finished putting together an Aero lower with the palmetto 10.5” build kit. I’m pretty sure the aero lower is already slightly out of spec. An empty pmag is hard to insert and will not drop free most of the time. When the rifle is together it will not seat an HK maritime mag. If I take the upper off I can seat the mag without any problems. The aero mag well is tight with pmags, which I guess I can deal with. But is the upper out of spec since the hk mag won’t seat when the upper is on the rifle? Or did I do something wrong? The upper was pre-assembled by PSA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Update- I put a different upper in the lower I build and the hk mag will seat. So I’m assuming the upper is out of spec? Should I send it back or not worry about it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would start by trying 2-3 different magazines.  I would use Pmag, USGI, and your HK.

Next, play with the magazine catch and mag catch button.  How far is the mag catch threaded into the mag catch button?

TC
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you locking the bolt back before inserting the mag? If not try doing that. This is the proper way to insert a mag into the lower.

Then release bolt and check to see if it stripped the round and chambered it. If it did pull the charging handle back and see if it ejects round, then let it slam home again and check if it chambered the next round.

Check mag to make sure it is still locked into the mag well. If it is all is good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you see how a mag worked before you built it?  If you over tighten the mag release it could cause it to retain the mag even when you hit the mag release button.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the suggestions. So to confirm the lower was assemble properly I put other uppers on the lower and it would allow me to insert the hk mag. So I then did the opposite to try to narrow down the issue. I put the upper on different lowers and it would allow the hk mags to be used. It appears it must just be a combination of that specific lower and that upper. Kind of strange.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It shouldn’t  cause any reliability issues as far as functioning correct? I ran only 60 rounds through it on Sunday and it didn’t have a problem.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fishnfool1991:
It shouldn’t  cause any reliability issues as far as functioning correct? I ran only 60 rounds through it on Sunday and it didn’t have a problem.
Thanks
View Quote

Nothing to worry about. You might find that as you shoot more the parts break in and everything is good.

I have the same upper assembly.....on an Aero lower. CMMG parts kit as I recall. Functioned just fine the first time out using M193 and M855 with USGI mags. I would certainly look at the mag catch as was mentioned......but it could be an issue of tolerance stacking.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top