Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2022 2:05:16 PM EDT
Any one know of a LPVO that is 1-6 with second focal plane and a mrad reticle? I know there are plenty of first focus out there but I want to save some weight, and don’t see the need for a ffp in 1-6.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Swampfox has one if you’re on a budget
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex Viper PST 2 1-6 is all of that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any one know of a LPVO that is 1-6 with second focal plane and a mrad reticle? I know there are plenty of first focus out there but I want to save some weight, and don't see the need for a ffp in 1-6.
View Quote
Vortex Viper, but its chunky. Delta Stryker HD as well which is a little lighter.

That's all I can think of. These particular styles of 1-6 always seem to be a little chunky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex Viper, but its chunky. Delta Stryker HD as well which is a little lighter.

That's all I can think of. These particular styles of 1-6 always seem to be a little chunky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any one know of a LPVO that is 1-6 with second focal plane and a mrad reticle? I know there are plenty of first focus out there but I want to save some weight, and don't see the need for a ffp in 1-6.

You can also get the Gen II/Gen IIE 1-6 Razor in an MRAD reticle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, and also fairly chunky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would be perfect for him but it comes in at 22.7oz, still a fantastic 1-6 LPVO.  These were on sale for $420 last week.  They are back to $540 now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the Vortex Strike Eagle?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about the Vortex Strike Eagle?
View Quote

Strike Eagle is MOA, he wanted MRAD.  It is lighter than the Viper and Razor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The only LPVO I can think of that is both lightweight, and has a well designed mil reticle, is the SWFA SS 1-4 at 14.1 oz But it's of course a 1-4.

They are currently on sale for about $450 mounted and leveled from them in their SSALT mount. Made in the Philippines by Kenko Tokina.

I did enjoy my Viper 1-6, but at about the same weight you can get a PA 2.5-10x with a mil reticle. The light gathering, more forgiving eye box, and FFP mil grid makes the 2.5-10 worth the weight vs the Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Trijicon TR25 Accupoint 1-6 with green mildot reticle.
Way better than Vortex options IMO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Vortex viper 1-6, Vortex Razor 1-6
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Kahles k16i  16.9 oz.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Accupoint 1-6 with mil dot, or delta Stryker. Everything else is either ffp or a BDC. The razor/viper are mrad too but they’re heavy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Strike Eagle is MOA, he wanted MRAD.  It is lighter than the Viper and Razor.
View Quote
I'm only seeing BDC. They happen to list the subtensions in MOA.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only LPVO I can think of that is both lightweight, and has a well designed mil reticle, is the SWFA SS 1-4 at 14.1 oz But it's of course a 1-4.

They are currently on sale for about $450 mounted and leveled from them in their SSALT mount. Made in the Philippines by Kenko Tokina.
View Quote

I remember when that one SOF armorer guy on here posted about the ATACR and NX8s being tested by some SOF ODAs. He mentioned those optics as well as the SWFA SS HD 1-6 were the most robust LVPOs they had found during testing of a bunch of offerings FWIW. This was a year or so after those NF scopes were released.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The two on my radar are both discontinued.

Bushnel Elite Tactical 1-6.5 MRAD SFP (Japan)
And
Burris XTR 2 1-5 CQ-Mil reticle (Philippines)

The Burris popped up first with an ADM recon mount included for the price of the Bushnell naked. So Burris it was. Not a featherweight though. Saw the Bushnell pop up about 6 months later. Felt tempted to upgrade but I’m happy with the XTR and have moved on to another project.

Today, the Delta Stryker with its heavy following or the SWFA 1-6 if you like Donut of Death type reticles would be on my short list under $1000.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Kahles K16i is 17oz and has 1x performance that matches/exceeds Razor 1-6 while having better/clearer glass to boot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I remember when that one SOF armorer guy on here posted about the ATACR and NX8s being tested by some SOF ODAs. He mentioned those optics as well as the SWFA SS HD 1-6 were the most robust LVPOs they had found during testing of a bunch of offerings FWIW. This was a year or so after those NF scopes were released.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SS 1-4x and HD 1-6x are two different animals.

SS 1-4x is made in the Philippines and SFP

SS HD 1-6x is made in Japan and FFP
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kahles K16i is 17oz and has 1x performance that matches/exceeds Razor 1-6 while having better/clearer glass to boot.
View Quote

I’m liking this optic from what I’ve been reading about it’s reviews and info about it! I had my mind made up to purchase a Razor but now I’m looking hard at the Kahles!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If OP gave us a budget it would help. Helluva difference in a PST II and a Kahles K16i
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#22]
No budget set, just looking for options and experiences with those options.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#23]
No budget? Quit farting around and grab the Kahles. Best darned LPVO without spending stupid amounts of money.  My next choice would be a Swarovski z6i. Personally, I found the razor to be the best bang for the buck. Kahles and Swarovski were incrementally better, but I think maybe the razor is more of a tank and better suited to what I do.

If you can, I'd suggest getting optics from someplace that will take a return. I just did what you're doing a month or so ago. Tried em all.

Your considerations should be for glass quality over magnification. You can actually do more with a quality 4x than you can with a crappy 6x. Depending on the kind of shooting you do, eye box could be important. If you do shooting from awkward positions, forget about trijicon and delta. Nice glass, crappy eye box. It's just wonky.

I'd say ...
1. Kahles
2. Swarovski
3. Razor
4. Steiner P4xi with P3tr reticle, it's a 4x though
5. PST Gen II

These all have very good eye boxes and you can always see the dot. I really don't know if all of these are available in mrad. I have both moa and mrad scopes. I just buy good stuff and learn how to use it.

I settled on the Razor. Excellent scope. Excellent warranty and built like a tank. If you want to save weight, maybe an ACOG and offset is what you should be considering.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Would be perfect for him but it comes in at 22.7oz, still a fantastic 1-6 LPVO.  These were on sale for $420 last week.  They are back to $540 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where at these prices?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where at these prices?
View Quote

Eurooptics with code.  The Viper 1-6 for $420 was a fantastic deal.  I picked up a second as a backup for that price.  Sadly, they are now $540.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Big fan of my Viper 1-6. It may be a bit of a chonk, but it's a fantastic optic for the money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Big fan of my Viper 1-6. It may be a bit of a chonk, but it's a fantastic optic for the money.
View Quote
I enjoyed mine as well. Its a good piece of glass,  but for the same weight and similar price range, you can get more magnification with great reticle designs if you can handle a little mag on the low end.

After playing with prisms and MPVOs, I personally think of LPVOs as "enhanced red dots" anymore. Mrad is great for dialing, but the Viper isn't a dialing kind if scope. It's best for sticking to one load and memorizing drops.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I enjoyed mine as well. Its a good piece of glass,  but for the same weight and similar price range, you can get more magnification with great reticle designs if you can handle a little mag on the low end.

After playing with prisms and MPVOs, I personally think of LPVOs as "enhanced red dots" anymore. Mrad is great for dialing, but the Viper isn't a dialing kind if scope. It's best for sticking to one load and memorizing drops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ability to use it on 1x is still a feature I want to have. I only wound up with the MRAD version because it was on sale. It's been zeroed and I haven't touched the dials since. Plus, on the 16" gov profile barrels I have my LPVOs on, something like a 2.5-10 would probably be overkill.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Scanned through the thread but didn't see the Burris RT-6 mentioned. It is a 1-6 SFP with mil sub-tensions. Mine has great glass for the price.... might give it a look and see if it fits your needs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Scanned through the thread but didn't see the Burris RT-6 mentioned. It is a 1-6 SFP with mil sub-tensions. Mine has great glass for the price.... might give it a look and see if it fits your needs.
View Quote

Well, that's an odd reticle. The RT-6 windage subtensions are in Mils, but the vertical is a simple BDC.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, decided to grab a Kahles because of this thread. We'll see how it goes
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#32]
K16i SM-1
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#33]
In my opinion, based on about 8 years of using it around the country in 3 gun matches, the best reticle for a LPVO is the discontinued Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 BTR-2.  

No, it's not daylight bright.  Even shooting in middle of the day in Texas or Las Vegas, that's never been an issue.  I've flown all over the place with this scope and it's never shifted zero.  I've used it in Run and Guns, beat it on obstacles, dropped the rifle (unloaded and accidentally), and it's never shifted zero.

I zero it -1 mil at 300 yards, which puts the center dot on real close at 200y, -2 mil at 400, -3.5 mil at 500y, and -5.5 mil at 600.

Stadia are fine enough to not obscure the target, yet still visible in bright light and shadows.

Bushnell always discontinues the best things they make, which is why I have 2 of these.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Delta Stryker, have 2 of em, love both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No budget? Quit farting around and grab the Kahles. Best darned LPVO without spending stupid amounts of money.  My next choice would be a Swarovski z6i. Personally, I found the razor to be the best bang for the buck. Kahles and Swarovski were incrementally better, but I think maybe the razor is more of a tank and better suited to what I do.

If you can, I'd suggest getting optics from someplace that will take a return. I just did what you're doing a month or so ago. Tried em all.

Your considerations should be for glass quality over magnification. You can actually do more with a quality 4x than you can with a crappy 6x. Depending on the kind of shooting you do, eye box could be important. If you do shooting from awkward positions, forget about trijicon and delta. Nice glass, crappy eye box. It's just wonky.

I'd say ...
1. Kahles
2. Swarovski
3. Razor
4. Steiner P4xi with P3tr reticle, it's a 4x though
5. PST Gen II

These all have very good eye boxes and you can always see the dot. I really don't know if all of these are available in mrad. I have both moa and mrad scopes. I just buy good stuff and learn how to use it.

I settled on the Razor. Excellent scope. Excellent warranty and built like a tank. If you want to save weight, maybe an ACOG and offset is what you should be considering.
View Quote

Good post.

I cant attest to the durability of the Kahles or the Swaro but I have been beating the snot out of a few razors for several years now and have never had durability or zero loss issues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Highly recommend the Kahles k16i. I purchased one last month from https://www.eurooptic.com/ and mounted it on a Daniel Defense AR. Definitely a top tier scope!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had two different Kahles 1-6s, one with the sm-1 and one with the 3gr reticle.  I slightly preferred the 3gr (less busy on the mil drops) but the sm-1 is rad for blasting things closer in. Also easier to pick up fast, but the 3gr is great if you're shooting past 100.  Both held up to plenty of abuse, no issues.  I even like these better than the newer 1-8 they came out with, I feel like the image quality kind of drops off past 6x on those, not really worth the extra weight.
Highly recommend the AAdland scope flip caps if you want to splurge. My only beef with these is the rheostat style illumination knob instead of on\off clicks, I wish the dot\circle got just a little brighter, and the turrets are kind of mushy. Otherwise best 1x (huge) FOV going on any LPVO, light weight, still my favorite.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top