Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2018 9:30:52 AM EDT
Just ordered one.

This will be my first .308! It’ll be here Tuesday...super excited!

$889 plus $7.99 shipping from GrabAGun.com. Been trying to get one for a couple of months now. Every time I’d get the email that they had them back in stock, they’d be sold out before I could get my order in.

They were $829, then, after Santa Fe, they raised the price to $889. Now it’s $909, I think.

Anyway, I’m just wondering what makes the “Sport” model different from the standard M&P-10? The only difference I can find, from comparing the specs, is the 16” instead of 18” barrel. How does an extra 2” of barrel account for a $400 price difference?

Who else has an M&P-10? How do you like it? Not a whole lot on YouTube yet. Kinda surprised there are no comparos between this and the standard 18” model yet, or other .308 16” carbines, like the DPMS, yet.

I have heard good things about the DPMS (first gen) from someone who has had one for a while. But just about everything I’ve heard about the M&P-10 has been very positive, and I like S&W’s lifetime warranty. Being a larger company, and one of the big players in the industry, they seem like they’ll stand behind their products if something goes wrong. What has y’all’s experience been, in that regard?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an M&P 10.  Never had a problem with it.  It was surprisingly accurate for having a lightweight barrel.   I never had to use Smith's customer service.

Enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had an M&P 10.  Never had a problem with it.  It was surprisingly accurate for having a lightweight barrel.   I never had to use Smith's customer service.

Enjoy your rifle.
View Quote
Good to hear!

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted one for so long, but not the 18" version. So I went with a 14.5" pinned PSA. I like it.

I wish S&W would have come out with the 16" sooner.

It looks like the S&W's have a lightweight barrel, correct?
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wanted one for so long, but not the 18" version. So I went with a 14.5" pinned PSA. I like it.

I wish S&W would have come out with the 16" sooner.

It looks like the S&W's have a lightweight barrel, correct?
View Quote
Honestly, somebody else will have to answer that question. I’m no expert.

I can take some photos and post them when I get it next week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
There was/is issues with them replacing barrels that swelled under warranty. And do not allow you to buy a barrel to replace yourself, you must buy a whole gun.

And something is bouncing around in the brain about the BCG being sightly different, or the receivers are.

I've read and heard allot of good things about the gun itself, but not good things about their customer service, and they like to find whatever reason they can to NOT honor the lifetime warranty unless it's a very obvious MFG defect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was/is issues with them replacing barrels that swelled under warranty. And do not allow you to buy a barrel to replace yourself, you must buy a whole gun.

And something is bouncing around in the brain about the BCG being sightly different, or the receivers are.

I've read and heard allot of good things about the gun itself, but not good things about their customer service, and they like to find whatever reason they can to NOT honor the lifetime warranty unless it's a very obvious MFG defect.
View Quote
The barrel extension and the BCG are proprietary. Other 308 bolts won't work with their extension.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you know if the BCG is interchangeable between the standard M&P-10 and the Sport model?

I have sent an inquiry to Smith & Wesson, asking what other differences there are, between the two models. Looking at the website, the weights are different, also. The standard model is like 123 oz, while the Sport, even with the barrel being 2” shorter, is listed at 128 oz.

Also, there’s a nearly $600 price difference between the two models.

What gives?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you know if the BCG is interchangeable between the standard M&P-10 and the Sport model?

I have sent an inquiry to Smith & Wesson, asking what other differences there are, between the two models. Looking at the website, the weights are different, also. The standard model is like 123 oz, while the Sport, even with the barrel being 2” shorter, is listed at 128 oz.

Also, there’s a nearly $600 price difference between the two models.

What gives?
View Quote
That I don't know. But I would assume they would be the same.

The weight difference is probably due to the 16" having a heavier profile barrel, as the 18" is reeeeeally thin, especially after the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The barrel extension and the BCG are proprietary. Other 308 bolts won't work with their extension.
View Quote
I thought it was the receivers being just a cunt hair or 2 shorter, and required the carrier to be shortened as well, but you are right. I remember clearly now the issues with the bolts and extensions.

Decent gun, just crappy support in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked one up but haven't had a change to shoot it yet.  Put on BCM's pkmr rail on it and it fits great.  I think it's a keeper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could you cite your source for that information, please.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p10-rifles/309501-s-w-m-p10-upper-compatability-w-pictures-added-8-4-13-a.html

HEres something from SW forum. I remember stuff here, I think it IS the receivers, BCG, and barrel extension. Im looking for more, but I gotta go do real work. Ill post back when I find something more definitive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks 762.  I'll research the specifics and post in the .308 AR FAQ thread.  Looks like that guy got the S&W lower to work with a DPMS Upper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just picked one up but haven't had a change to shoot it yet.  Put on BCM's pkmr rail on it and it fits great.  I think it's a keeper.
View Quote
Could you do us all a favor and get us some measurements.  Measure your upper receiver over all length from the front of the barrel nut threads to the very rear edge of the receiver.  If that's too much work to remove the barrel for you stick a ruler/tape down the receiver and measure from the breach face to the back edge of the receiver.

Also measure your bolt carrier over all length and measure from the front edge to the gas key.

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Besides the link 762 posted, from personally owning one, and physically placing different 308 bcg's in my M&P 10, and trying the M&P bcg in other 308 AR's.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have any actual measurements for the upper receiver and bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p10-rifles/460403-replacement-barrels-m-p-10-a.html

Here is another thread going on about the Bolt and Extension being the culprit. Everything else is fine. Standard slight variations in receivers, I bet being takedown and pivot pin sizes and thats about it.

Theres a guy in there that says he modified his MP10 carrier to fit a standard bolt, and he swapped his barrel to an Aero 6.5C barrel and bolt. Claims 300rds since mod. Hes a machinist, so made it work. Most wont be willing to go that far I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you have any actual measurements for the upper receiver and bolt carrier?
View Quote
I can take some of the upper and lower receiver if you like.

I sold the bcg and barrel when I replaced them with a PSA barrel and bcg.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I would appreciate it.  I take it the PSA barrel and BCG work fine in the S&W upper, eh?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would appreciate it.  I take it the PSA barrel and BCG work fine in the S&W upper, eh?
View Quote
They do. About 300 or so with them so far.

I'll try to get you some numbers today on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, little bit of a disappointment last week when I took the M&P-10 Sport to the range for the first time.

The rifle doesn’t reliably function with standard 7.62 NATO M80 ball ammunition, though it cycled perfectly through 40 rounds of .308 WIN ammo.

With the 7.62 ammo, it jams with the nose of the bullet going into the chamber, and the cartridge case gets dented by the chamber lugs. Or, in the 2nd type of malfunction, instead of traveling far enough aft to pick up the next round, the bolt just skims the top of the round, putting score marks on the cartridge case. Also, with the 7.62 ammo, the bolt doesn’t lock open after the last round in the mag.

I eliminated cleanliness or lubrication, or magazine issues, as potential causes. That leaves gas, spring, or clearance problems between parts.

Smith & Wesson sent me a shipping label, and the rifle went back to the factory.

I do kinda wish I’d shot more .308 through it just to see if it would eventually “break in” and run with 7.62. But I didn’t think of that until after I’d dropped it off at Fed Ex.

When I talked to the tech at Smith & Wesson, I asked what ammo they used to test-fire at the factory, and he said they use .308. So it’s no surprise that no issues were noted by whoever tested it. But he agreed with me that the rifle should run 7.62 as well as .308.

I got an email that they’ve received the rifle, so, we’ll see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, little bit of a disappointment last week when I took the M&P-10 Sport to the range for the first time.

The rifle doesn’t reliably function with standard 7.62 NATO M80 ball ammunition, though it cycled perfectly through 40 rounds of .308 WIN ammo.

With the 7.62 ammo, it jams with the nose of the bullet going into the chamber, and the cartridge case gets dented by the chamber lugs. Or, in the 2nd type of malfunction, instead of traveling far enough aft to pick up the next round, the bolt just skims the top of the round, putting score marks on the cartridge case. Also, with the 7.62 ammo, the bolt doesn’t lock open after the last round in the mag.

I eliminated cleanliness or lubrication, or magazine issues, as potential causes. That leaves gas, spring, or clearance problems between parts.

Smith & Wesson sent me a shipping label, and the rifle went back to the factory.

I do kinda wish I’d shot more .308 through it just to see if it would eventually “break in” and run with 7.62. But I didn’t think of that until after I’d dropped it off at Fed Ex.

When I talked to the tech at Smith & Wesson, I asked what ammo they used to test-fire at the factory, and he said they use .308. So it’s no surprise that no issues were noted by whoever tested it. But he agreed with me that the rifle should run 7.62 as well as .308.

I got an email that they’ve received the rifle, so, we’ll see what happens.
View Quote
Bummer. This kind of thing is what's keeping me from jumping all over an M&P10 for my 308 semi. Let us know how it works out. I don't like buying something based on how good the company's support is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bummer. This kind of thing is what's keeping me from jumping all over an M&P10 for my 308 semi. Let us know how it works out. I don't like buying something based on how good the company's support is.
View Quote
The Smith & Wesson name and rep is one of the big reasons I went with the M&P-10 Sport. With the Lifetime Service Guarantee, I figure they'll take care of any issues. We'll see.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top