Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2021 9:36:32 PM EDT
Update:

Made my choice, these 2 items should serve me well, the only thing I dislike about the "Fix It Sticks" is not being able to see it without a flashlight and tilted at an angle if putting on a PG... Other wise, it's handy and should serve well for occasional use when/if needed.

Well, I passed on both versions of the Wheeler FAT wrench (analog & digital) and even the Vortex, which looked badass and even had 1lb increments marked on it, just to get the "Fix It Sticks- All in one torque kit" due to the hype I've read on here.

Well, upon receiving it, I'm seeing that it cannot be set to a certain torque weight and then just click when at the desired weight, it apparently doesn't move until being torqued!

I am under the impression that you have to watch it reach the desired number while torqing...stop... then once you release, it goes back to zero... I didn't realize this when purchasing.... Smh

Is it a pain watching the dial while working with it VS the common "Click when finished" options?

Basically, wondering if any advantages besides the "T-Handle" to it VS the others mentioned? (Trying to justify passing on the others and paying over 100 bucks) and what folks feel make it superior, although I'm sure many will say it's a matter of preference.

Would be great to hear from guys who own both styles... Fix it Sticks "All in One" (non limiter) VS set and click ones.

On a side note, Also grabbed a 1/2" Ft-lb torque wrench rather than just getting the 6 dollar adapter to step a 3/8ths up to a 1/2" male head for my Armorers Wrench, being no one could assure me that it wouldnt affect the reading.

My concern....

Using a budget style (thin blade style) version with hard rubber/plastic handle) AR Armorers Wrench, and the 1/2" rachet head STILL doesnt fit snug into the cutout of the wrench (same as the 3/8ths) as far as seeming too small and NOT locking in snug with the sides mating, it seemed too small still, then I realized it seems to only catch when at an angle, and when the upper and opposite lower corner of the Armorers wrench "corners" mate with the corners edges of the torque wrench's head, which catch and grab onto the upper and opposite lower corner of the wrench cutout and seem as if it would work.

That's the only time it fits snug enough to use (which I plan to use at a 90 degree angle, well, as close as possible....

Is this normal?
Or is it supposed to fit square/width wise rather than being a smidge too wide and being rounded at 12 and 6 oclock? (It may depend the Armorers wrench, mine is an el cheapo kind, it works, but not a thick heavy duty one )

Plus the Ft-lb wrench is also about about 14-18" long.

If NOT normal, I supposed maybe some small/short bits for the barrel nut and the flash hider may actually have a square cut and work without all the combined length and additional angle to make it lock in

Hope to hear back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a pain to watch the all in one. It works just fine. I have both sets and the all in one stays in my drag bag.
View Quote

Any Pros?

Maybe a more precise reading? I notice it doesn't have any tick marks between the increments of 5 (maybe 10) so adds some guess work,bury common sense. The FAT wrench and Vortex just seem like no brainers, unless the quality bid on another level with the "Sticks" combo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
No complaints with my Wheeler digital.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File
I just used my Fix it inch/lb for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Spuhr mount and a new Night Force on my new AIAX. I took my time and it went very well. At my age  (67) I need to really concentrate on things that matter. My son is a pro shooter and advised me on the value of being alone and undisturbed when I did the mount procedure. I came away fully confident in the Fix It system. First ten shot group at 1000 with the 6CM. Wind was 3-6 90 degrees from the right. I wanted to get some sense of the vertical dispersion with Hornady Match 108 ELD ammo. The two fliers were either me or the ammo. Don't care. For an old guy just getting into the LR game I was quite pleased with the result. I'm also convinced that the Fix IT torque values were right on the money. For the record I did NOT buy the "t" handle. I'm more comfortable with a small 1/4" ratchet. It seemed to give me the "control" I needed in judging where I was on the marks on the tool.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any Pros?

Maybe a more precise reading? I notice it doesn't have any tick marks between the increments of 5 (maybe 10) so adds some guess work,bury common sense. The FAT wrench and Vortex just seem like no brainers, unless the quality bid on another level with the "Sticks" combo.
View Quote

The Wheeler Fat Wrench and Vortex are too "big" to lug around. The All-in-one is good for keeping in your range bag. The Tekton 1/4 90° wrench is good for more precise measurements, but can be kept in your range bag as well because it's a few inches long, skinny , and has a small pouch. I have all 4 of the ones mentioned above, but I only use the Tekton 1/4 and the Fix it sticks AIO. Out of all 4, the Tekton is the only one that's reversible like your traditional torque wrench.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Wheeler Fat Wrench and Vortex are too "big" to lug around. The All-in-one is good for keeping in your range bag. The Tekton 1/4 90° wrench is good for more precise measurements, but can be kept in your range bag as well because it's a few inches long, skinny , and has a small pouch. I have all 4 of the ones mentioned above, but I only use the Tekton 1/4 and the Fix it sticks AIO. Out of all 4, the Tekton is the only one that's reversible like your traditional torque wrench.
View Quote

Oh damn, so they don't have a mode to loosen?

Do if your unmounting to reinstall something to proper spec, I would need normal tools for that, correct?

Also, besides the Tekton, how do you feel about the "All in one" STICKS brand one VS Wheeler & Vortexes "Click" style?

I guess if it resets itself, thats pretty, and the non click may not be an issue being most things I will be doing will be like 25-35 inch-lbs.

(Sights, pg's, etc) and got the Ft-lb one from an autoparts store for flash hiders and castle nuts.

Also re-tightening my Magpul grips to 25 inch-lbs being when I get them super tight, it's as if the grip flares out more and are more girthy feeling, and the polymer has more flex if squeezed hard. Fills up the hand better so always assumed it was meant to do so.

Assumed it to be normal but a Magpul rep told me that it could be the 2 halves of the mold starting to pull outwards being mold injected. Not necessarily seperating visibly, but mildly doing so. They all go from from how they felt in the box to being more bulky (and more spongy feeling where you can squeeze and feel the polymer flex if gripping tightly, especially the "+" rubber over mold version) when I've hand tightened with a Hex screw as snug as I could get it by hand. The old ones tightened with a flathead never expanded though, but the hex screw ones, they def flare out, so hoping they aren't over tightened

Mainly got it to go back over some stuff and get it to proper spec, plus for future things. Not much of a car mechanic, but I love tinkering so have started to build my smithing tools up.

It's crazy how many items call for 25 inch-lbs. One of the most common specs I've seen (I don't use scopes btw)

Next up, either going to buy the short attachments for flash hider and also barrel nut, or buy a heavy duty Armormers wrench, like Magpul's.

Btw, does my question about the fitment of my 1/2" Ft-lb in the Armorers wrench sound familiar to you?

The corners of the torque wrench head lock in once turned enough to lock into the corners of the Armorers wrench opening, but it doesn't fit snug against he side walls as I expected. It's loose on the hole until the corners lock once turned maybe 45 degrees in the hole of the Armorers wrench, so it's either normal, or it's the cheap Armorers wrench, being 1/2" torque wrench is a 1/2" regardless. Seems the hole is oversized in mine. Armorers wrench was less than 20 bucks when I got it for castle nuts years ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Any other opinions?

Also, really would like to know why my 1/2" Ft-lb torque wrench only locks into the Armorers wrench when the corners connects at an angle, rather than the side walls being snug. It's the cheap "Blade" style of armorer wrench. The hole seems larger than 1/2".
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
get a Borka... fix it sticks suck.  

Borka is stupid simple and is the most accurate.  Most long range precision guys use them to mount their scopes and work on their guns that cost $4,000-$5,000.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Id say your over thinking it. The actual amount of torque between the 5 in lb measurements is so little that if it matters that much I’d say your screwed anyways. (All puns intended) also not to mention that I doubt a sub $100 torque wrench to be that amazingly accurate. I use the fix it sticks and they work fine. I also torque stuff all day long with with 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch torque wrench’s that are $300 to $500 each.

I’d recommend running a few test to see for your self. Get a random bolt or nut torque it to a minimum setting, and see how far the nutor bolt actually rotates from a change of 5-10 in lbs. especially when you get up to 50+.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Id say your over thinking it. The actual amount of torque between the 5 in lb measurements is so little that if it matters that much I’d say your screwed anyways. (All puns intended) also not to mention that I doubt a sub $100 torque wrench to be that amazingly accurate. I use the fix it sticks and they work fine. I also torque stuff all day long with with 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch torque wrench’s that are $300 to $500 each.

I’d recommend running a few test to see for your self. Get a random bolt or nut torque it to a minimum setting, and see how far the nutor bolt actually rotates from a change of 5-10 in lbs. especially when you get up to 50+.
View Quote

It is not much, I did some testing on a Geissele mount and from hand tight to 65 in-lbs, it is just under 1/4 turn....using a Borka wrench and verifed with a Seekonk T handle set torque wrench

In fact, now when I am installing Geissele mounts, I dont use the torque wrench any more, use the 1/4 turn procedure and has never let me down

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

@bimmertech87

For starters, Went to torque some Magpul PG's to spec, as they get fatter, the harder they are torqued which a Magpul rep said may be the 2 halves expanding being mold injected (2 halves), although it made my rubber overmold "+" grip much more cushiony.

Nothing major but it was a PITA using the "Fix It Sticks" and trying to see the tick mark while inside of a PG. I set them all to 30-35, which I think is spec. The grips always seem to get fatter/more spongey when tightened with a Hex, VS a flathead.

My MAIN question now is that my huge 1/2" Ft-Lb torque wrench has a square head, yet the slot in my Armorers wrench is square on the sides but a tad round on the top and bottom.

It works, but only when at angle when the corners of the Ft-Lb torque head mate with the top and opposite lower corner of the cutout, not sure if normal.

I have an el cheapo "blade style" armorer wrench, so NOT sure if the better quality versions have a precise square input slot, or if some Torque wrenches have the square sides and rounded top and bottom also and maybe my wrench isn't what the Armorers wrench calls for.

Unless its purpose slack in the hole of the Armorers wrench.

Any Clarity here?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@bimmertech87

For starters, Went to torque some Magpul PG's to spec, as they get fatter, the harder they are torqued which a Magpul rep said may be the 2 halves expanding being mold injected (2 halves), although it made my rubber overmold "+" grip much more cushiony.

Nothing major but it was a PITA using the "Fix It Sticks" and trying to see the tick mark while inside of a PG. I set them all to 30-35, which I think is spec. The grips always seem to get fatter/more spongey when tightened with a Hex, VS a flathead.

My MAIN question now is that my huge 1/2" Ft-Lb torque wrench has a square head, yet the slot in my Armorers wrench is square on the sides but a tad round on the top and bottom.

It works, but only when at angle when the corners of the Ft-Lb torque head mate with the top and opposite lower corner of the cutout, not sure if normal.

I have an el cheapo "blade style" armorer wrench, so NOT sure if the better quality versions have a precise square input slot, or if some Torque wrenches have the square sides and rounded top and bottom also and maybe my wrench isn't what the Armorers wrench calls for.

Any Clarity here?
View Quote

You're not using the right part of the wrench OR you don't have the 1/2” hole

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/Kxf2Q0k/Screenshot-20210111-221620-01.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bimmertech87

Any Clarity here?

***UPDATE***

@ahrion

Nevermind, Problem solved! I was being a dumbass and using the "Extension removal hole" in the one pictured below, thinking it was for a torque driver but the cheap ass wrench lacks that feature, makes sense as to why it didn't fit. Looking at it now, it was less than 15 bucks so makes sense as to why.

Found a Magpul wrench for 65 after a $10 off coupon offered on "Heart of Texas Armory", no tax, and 73 shipped via FedEx Express 1-2 day so couldn't pass and snagged it! The deal took out the guess work on what kind to buy, and I really like how on the Magpul wrench, that the castle nut portion is closed, so torqing will be easier. Plus it has longer teeth for ASAP plates.

Now, all I need is some kind of innovative Vice Grip Unit that doesn't require being mounted for these types of torque weights (if that even exists), as we just had a newborn so my shop room is now a nursery. Need something portable, but that can stay stationary without mounting, for these seldom jobs.

Hoping they make one with a platform that can keep it from wobbling left to right.

Original/Current Wrench:
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bimmertech87

Any Clarity here?

Update:

Made my choice, these 2 items should serve me well, the only thing I dislike about the "Fix It Sticks" is not being able to see it without a flashlight and tilted at an angle if putting on a PG... Other wise, it's handy and these 2 items (along with a 1/2" Ft-Lb Torque wrench from Napa) should serve well for occasional use when/if needed.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top