Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It seems to me the weak link in a plastic AR is the upper reciever; specifically, the barrel/barrel extension/reciever interface.

This needs to be re-engineered to the characteristics of the synthetic material. Then we might have something REAL interesting...agreed?

I agree. the barrel/receiver interface is where I am uncomfortable. I use only a polymer lower for this reason.

Bob

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
call me a luddite but i'm just not comfortable with the idea of a plastic rifle receiver

Hey luddite !  Stoner invented the design so it could be constructed out of materials other than the norm....like steel.

At the time he designed it aluminum was cutting edge light material.

Now plastics are WAY AHEAD of what they were during the conception of this design.  I see plastic as a logical upgrade.

Lightweight, easier & cheaper to produce, etc.   I love the cold feel of my aluminum receiver but can someone come up with something positive that a aluuminum receiver has OVER a polymer receiver for normal utility rifle purposes ?

I suppose it would depend on where your scope was mounted.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
In regards to polymer lowers that accept collapsible stocks:

1.  If you slam the butt of the stock on the ground as you might do in clearing drills or if you're hitting something/someone with the buttstock, does it strip/marr the buffer extension threads?

2.  The pivot pin area in the front was identified as a weak point (A1) and beefed up on aluminum lowers in later years (A2).  With the introduction of polymer lowers is this now a weak point again?  Does it need to be beefed up a little more on polymer lowers?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not had to do the butt stock slamming clearing drill on that rifle but I think I would have some trepidation on doing so with the polymer lower.

The front pivot pin was only an issue upon opening and letting it slam to it's furthest opening position. If you don't do this it shuld be ok. My polymer lower has roughly the same dimensions as a forged A2 aluminum lower in this area.

Bob

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
With regards to the CavArms lower failure.  This was discussed on another thread and thoroughly explained.  The owner put a blow-back .45acp upper on it, but used a standard CAR buffer instead of the much heavier buffer he should have been using.  Honestly, I don't know if that would have caused a failure in an aluminum receiver, but I'm certainly not going to test it.  

I don't own a CavArms and I probably won't.  Not because I think there is anything wrong with them, I just like the flexibility of being able to change a grip or buttstock.  That said, this is the only failure of a CavArms lower that I have ever heard of.  I would have no qualms whatsoever about owning and firing a CavArms rifle or lower (assuming it had the proper buffer of course!)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If I wasn't a resident of CA I'd order a Cav polymer lower in a heartbeat.

But I wouldn't be throwing my aluminum guns away anytime soon!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't this where somebody says, "OWNED!"

That post alone aughta' be enough to get fence-sitters to buy a cav-arms lower.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lower weight, lots tougher. Colored. Cheaper too.

Sorry, that's no longer politically correct.  The correct term is "Lower of Color"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah, I see....

(re linking- prob w/ original link by Garryowen: Link to thread about broken MKII w/ 45 upper

Well, I guess I'll make note and get a heavier buffer and/or recoil spring for my MKI's w/ the 9mm Luger.  I plan a 357 Sig upper at some point, so I assume that it will prob. work w/ a heavy buffer and extra strength recoil spring.

Progress rarely does not happen w/out experimentation.  And w/ experimentation, mistakes are bound to happen.  That is how progress is made.... trial and error.  Individuals willing to take the risk to forge ahead.

(And Al Bore said that everything as been invented.  Geezee......)

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Advantages of aluminum over plastic?

I haven't seen an 80% plastic lower yet.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top