Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2010 4:39:11 PM EDT
well, the guy is nowhere to be found...i have had multiple issues that i have fixed one by one. i have had the gun for over a month. stag lower and rriver upper. i set the gun up as i wanted it and went to the range for a first fire........full auto. i immediately separated the upper and lower and left the range.  i am thinking of purchasing a stag lower parts kit which i think should solve the problem....or am i going overboard and look at specific parts only?  i can do basic breakdown procedures but when it gets to the trigger and internals, i need help. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
the Build-It-Yourself forum in the AR15 section here has diagrams and videos for building, and in reverse, stripping your AR.  Should be all the instructions you need to take it down to the bare parts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
detailed pictures of the internals could help.  contact points.  spring setups. hammer edges

but honestly you probably just could buy a new FCG and slap it in and it would be fine. 30ish bucks and your back up and running.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Pictures of FCG? HTS? Sear spring upside down? take FCG out now and replace! M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the lower apart and properly reassemble it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
athens county...........i'd like to find a smithy around here to take care of this, or at least someone with some "ar" knowledge. im supposed to go on a company shooting outing this sunday and so far it doesnt look too promising with bringing the ar along.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
How far are you from Adco?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
if yur talkin about the adco in athens ohio im about 4 blocks away
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
adco ohio is about 100 miles............thought you were a local for a minute....lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the disconnector spring. The big side should go down into the trigger.
Make sure it moves free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
im really not sure what im lookin at........if pics will help i will take a few of the internals.........gimmie 20 minutes
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did the rifle come from? I just posted about a olympic arms that came out of athens that does a 2-3 round burst.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Prob missing the dissconector spring in the fcg.  Or its installed incorrectly.  Either way its an easy fix
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure your disconnector isn't broken.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
You just posted that you have a full auto AR-15 on the internet. WOW. For $200- $300 you can have a new lower that won't get you thrown in jail. I know you said that you bought it from someone but I wouldn't risk it on the ATF being reasonable about this issue. Get rid of that lower now!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]

not sure if this helps. ill try to find the breakdown tutorial on this site
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The hammer and trigger springs look right.
Can't see any disconnector spring at all. not even a sliver of one.
Does the disconnector in the center of the trigger move forward tward the magwell under spring pressure if you
pull it back to the rear of the rifle with the hammer in the up position as shown in the pics?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The sear spring is looking a bit "off"
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I could be mistaken, but it appears your disconnector spring may be missing.

ETA:  Looking at the first picture, the circular cutout in the trigger should be housing a spring between the trigger and disconnector.  If there is none, that is your problem.  There does not appear to be one in the picture.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think you have a disconnector spring in there. Go and perform a functions check. It is a .60 cent piece or cheaper you can find at a gunshow. If not, buy a lower kit and have the extra springs that break and are lost when building. :)
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Top pic it's just not there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, looks like thew disco spring is missing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check the disconnector spring. The big side should go down into the trigger.
Make sure it moves free.

+1

A missing disconector spring will do this also.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I ain't seeing one either.

http://www.545ar.com/bcmgrease1.jpg

In the above pic from vuurwapenblog you can clearly see the silver where the spring is under the disco so I don't think it is gonna be hidden.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#26]
It really depends on what is causing the issue. With out more info, or photos, hard to say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
for the purpose of possible legal issues, i have removed the fsg until it is resolved. it is no longer a part of the lower assembly. thanks for all the input from the experts out there. i will get it resolved asap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]
That plus the disconnecter tail is sticking up when the spring is in.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA:  Looking at the first picture, the circular cutout in the trigger should be housing a spring between the trigger and disconnector.  If there is none, that is your problem.  There does not appear to be one in the picture.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, it *DOES* look like the disconnector spring is missing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
for the purpose of possible legal issues, i have removed the fsg until it is resolved. it is no longer a part of the lower assembly. thanks for all the input from the experts out there. i will get it resolved asap.

If you cannot find a disco spring locally PM me your addy and I'll send on your way. gratis.  I have a few spares.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Look around locally for someone who can walk you through the reassembly.  It's fun to learn about the internals, and even better when someone is there to explain it.
- BG
PS.  I would have pissed myself if he posted pictures of an auto-sear installed and pranked all of us.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The OP will find that the trigger is a little harder to re-install with the disconnector spring in place....
Moon
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#33]
The disconnector spring is missing. If you look at pic's, you can see the two indicators. The first is that the disconnector is sitting level with the trigger well walls, and the second, you can not see the top of the  Spring.

If you take the hammer and try to lock it with the trigger pulled back it should lock, if it dose not, it is more then likely an issue with the disconnector.

BTW....I ran into a similar issue with the one AR I built. But my issue was with the DPMS trigger not being machined all the way. It had a lip at the bottom that caused the disconnector to get jammed into the well. I had to use a dremel with a cutter wheel to take it out. Which could be your issue if the spring is there.

If you have a 1/8" punch, it's pretty easy to take a part and fix and just about any gun shop will have the parts that you will need if some thing is missing or out of spec. This is the link I used to to help me build both of my AR's: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#34]
thx for all the help. it is a missing spring. suffice it to say that this is the last time i buy a lower and put together a frankengun. i cant believe the problems that i am having.
1). the detent and spring were put in backwards on the bolt release lever.
2). the roll pin on the trigger guard was put on the wrong side. i had a hell of a time getting it out to install a winter trigger guard.
3). my current issue, missing spring.

i appreciate all the help. im gonna have the entire lower redone with a stag lower parts kit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Learn to do it yourself. It is easy and you know that you wont half ass it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Word to the wise, when you are shooting a new automatic for the first time. Load one round and fire, then load two rounds. If it doubles on the second round, you are alerted you might have an issue.

Thanx, Russ
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Completely off topic... but for the OP: Go Bobcats!

LOL
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Word to the wise, when you are shooting a new SEMI automatic for the first time. Load one round and fire, then load two rounds. If it doubles on the second round, you are alerted you might have an issue.

Thanx, Russ

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I didn't realize that a missing disconnect spring will make the gun fire full auto so easily.  Are you talking just a couple of bursts, or is it strait up full auto?
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Nevermind, looked at the first pic wrong....darn closeups.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I didn't realize that a missing disconnect spring will make the gun fire full auto so easily.  Are you talking just a couple of bursts, or is it strait up full auto?

Can do either. All depends on the bolt/hammer/ammo combo you have.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can do either. All depends on the bolt/hammer/ammo combo you have.

But also it is not safe. Please don't think you can leave it out to have an illegal full auto rifle.
The disconnector being loose and not working is very unsafe and the slam fire can make the round go off in partial out of battery and the rifle can blow up in your face.
Don't try this at home on purpose.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

thx for all the help. it is a missing spring. suffice it to say that this is the last time i buy a lower and put together a frankengun. i cant believe the problems that i am having.

1). the detent and spring were put in backwards on the bolt release lever.

2). the roll pin on the trigger guard was put on the wrong side. i had a hell of a time getting it out to install a winter trigger guard.

3). my current issue, missing spring.

i appreciate all the help. im gonna have the entire lower redone with a stag lower parts kit.

but now you have learned how to fix it, that can a valuable skill...  as we have just seen

my first build i learned a LOT more about what i didnt know than what i knew
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#44]
HIDE YOUR DOG!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#45]
There was this guy named .....Bob at a carbine match whose disconnector failed. He posted a great time shooting burst on that stage but immediately disassembled his lower to fix the problem.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]
A quick, safe, easy way to fix this would be to pull out the all the FCG components, throw them away, and replace it all with new.  I only mention this because there was a member of another forum who ended up doing a year in prison because his gun he bought used went FA and ended up having an M16 part in it.  If there is no way to tell what the guy did or what parts he used in his build, or how to reach him, it is worth the $50 bucks or so just to get a new, safe, legal trigger group and have some degree of certainty what is in the gun.  JMHO, but in this case it is a small price to pay to remove any and all doubt.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A quick, safe, easy way to fix this would be to pull out the all the FCG components, throw them away, and replace it all with new.  I only mention this because there was a member of another forum who ended up doing a year in prison because his gun he bought used went FA and ended up having an M16 part in it.  If there is no way to tell what the guy did or what parts he used in his build, or how to reach him, it is worth the $50 bucks or so just to get a new, safe, legal trigger group and have some degree of certainty what is in the gun.  JMHO, but in this case it is a small price to pay to remove any and all doubt.

this.  Any lower you get should be function tested before putting live ammo through it.  That goes for any gun IMO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The sear spring is looking a bit "off"

How so???

More correctly... WHAT sear spring ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top