BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What is the inner diameter of these rails?

I want it to accommodate my YHM 762 SS Phantom suppresser which is 1.625 in diameter

What about the older versions that are for sale everywhere?

Finally, on UTG's "extended carbine rails" that have the A2 FSB cutout....How long is the "extended" piece in front of the FSB?...I have an 11.5" carbine upper, and have the YHM QD mount attached...will this work with the suppressor attached??

Thanks,

~WTS

I would look at the YHM diamond rails that will work with a suppressor. I've seen the 12" model going for $120 and it should fit even most .30 suppressors. Look up brightflashlights on the industry side if you need a good vendor.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sir,

Which question were you answering?
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1.26"

inside diameter of the new rail in the OP's photo.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't UTG Airsoft?  Why would you install parts on your rifle designed to be used on toy rifles?

it's because my trx extreme was just too good for me and my rifle.. you know.. i am not worthy.

I'm not too concerned with the gap between the upper and rail,so long as it is even and the height matches.
I might get one ir two for economical builds for my nephews.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I know I'm dragging an old topic to the front.  But I felt I should share this with the people who care.  After reading this forum I was very intrigued by these new UTG rails.  A buddy of mine was dying to get a free float of some kind and I told him about these.  It just came in today and I'm the one doing the work on the gun.  I must say that WOW!!!!

I am very impressed.  I pawned this "crappy" UTG Pro off onto him.  I always try to stay one step ahead of him as far as trickness goes and had planned on getting a 13" Troy for mine.  

I made sure he ordered the UTG.

I am now wondering why I would consider paying more.  This rail is impeccably machined and is beautiful.  It feels very light and strong.  It also has a very slim and trim profile.  The mounting system seems very strong.  

I really, really, can't stress it enough.  For the money I don't think you could beat it.  I may order one just like it for myself.  Some people may not want to give it a chance, but for those of you that might be interested you won't be disappointed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh' yeah,....I forgot to mention that it has 8 limited-rotation QD swivel sockets.  They are spaced out so no matter where you prefer your sling can find a spot that suits you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I just wish amazon would hurry up and get more in stock.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
it's amazing how some ppl just talk out of their asses.

so it's been a while since i put the UTG on my SBR.  it's been working great, and i do not have any complaints what so ever.  Infact, what i really like is the clamp system where the 4 bolts hold the unit onto the barrel nut.  (of course it's light and narrow as well).

so, today, i thought about getting another one, and saw a review on it on amazon by someone named mako.. and he claims how the unit rotates and wiggles..  
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Rifle-Length-System/product-reviews/B005EOUZRA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

you could claim alot of things about this unit, but one thing you cannot claim is how the unit does not attach solidly on to the gun/barrel nut.  i think in comparison to say.. Troy TRX, the clamp system is far superior..

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

so it's been a while since i put the UTG on my SBR.  it's been working great, and i do not have any complaints what so ever.  Infact, what i really like is the clamp system where the 4 bolts hold the unit onto the barrel nut.  (of course it's light and narrow as well).

so, today, i thought about getting another one, and saw a review on it on amazon by someone named mako.. and he claims how the unit rotates and wiggles..  
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Rifle-Length-System/product-reviews/B005EOUZRA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

you could claim alot of things about this unit, but one thing you cannot claim is how the unit does not attach solidly on to the gun/barrel nut.  i think in comparison to say.. Troy TRX, the clamp system is far superior..

There are only two reviews...Mako's and then yours.  You brought this thread back to life...why?

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are only two reviews...Mako's and then yours.  You brought this thread back to life...why?

Glad you brought it back, I didnt catch it before. May try one of these.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you brought it back, I didnt catch it before. May try one of these.

PICS if you do!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Mako huh? Hmmm

The only way it could rotate is if the barrel nut wasn't tight. 4 screws, 2 pins and 2 anti rotational stops pretty much prevent it from rotating.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Where is a good website to see all of the different tubes, my google search is weak. I was really wanting to know if the front sight milled down to use as a gas block would fit, under the rifle or mid length tubes. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where is a good website to see all of the different tubes, my google search is weak. I was really wanting to know if the front sight milled down to use as a gas block would fit, under the rifle or mid length tubes. Thanks

Cool just found it, lol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mako huh? Hmmm

The only way it could rotate is if the barrel nut wasn't tight. 4 screws, 2 pins and 2 anti rotational stops pretty much prevent it from rotating.
Dave N

exactly.. it was so absurd what he was saying..
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#17]
cuz what that guy was saying was so absurd..  i want to make sure ppl get all the information.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
What you need to watch is getting the correct hand guard. There is still a UTG free float hand guard around that is made over seas. It's wider, heavier, and does not have the features the Pro, Made in the U.S.A hand guard does.
New U.S.A. made––-MTU006

Old model––––MNT-T416LF

These are both rifle length. Carbine and Mid length are also available.
Mine:

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Dave,
If you do have the ear of the folks at UTG/Leapers, you might consider talking to them about developing a new brand for the US-made "pro" line.  It might be very nice equipment, but many folks won't consider it because the UTG brand is tainted due to past problems.  Ford wouldn't name their new small car the Pinto - the name has too much baggage.

When new users Google "UTG rail reviews" they'll be hit with information on the old stuff and misinformation on the new stuff.  This is why S&W came out with the SD9, rather than call it the Sigma Gen3 (or whatever generation of Sigma they'd be at).  Good or bad, right or wrong, reputations mean a lot to many people.  They're easy to ruin and hard to build.  

Oh, and tell them to work on a modular FF system like the TRX Extreme and Evolution.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll suggest it.
I had some of the old Leapers stuff. Scopes that had crap inside, crappy turrents, pot metal sights, ect.
But I will give them this. They have made great improvements on a lot of the gear. They moved production to the U.S. which is unheard of,  to have better QC.
There is still stuff made over seas. Not trying to BS anybody on that. But Mr. Ding wants it all eventually moved here. He is working on setting up the optics to be U.S. made.
I still don't recommend the products for a battle rifle, at least not at this point. Maybe one day.
But I have never had a rail system or iron sight fail.
I have received bad scopes to review and they were immediately replaced and the problem looked into.
They are making an effort, even when lots still flame them.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Dis-reguard! I see this has already been addressed! You know Magpul makes Airsoft products too!
Quoted:
Isn't UTG Airsoft?  Why would you install parts on your rifle designed to be used on toy rifles?

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Most that put them down have never used one.
If I wanted plastic hand guards, I would stay with stock.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Be careful, searching UTG Pro 4 15 Rifle Length gives you a $69 unit on Amazon that's definitely not this new redesign.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like best price on this new part number on Amazon is $85 plus $5 shipping:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005EOUZRA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'll be trying one in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Airsoft upper receivers have a different thread pitch than real AR receivers.

Without defending UTG and their products, as I have near zero experience with them, this appears to be a rail system designed to be installed on a real rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dave,
If you do have the ear of the folks at UTG/Leapers, you might consider talking to them about developing a new brand for the US-made "pro" line.  It might be very nice equipment, but many folks won't consider it because the UTG brand is tainted due to past problems.  Ford wouldn't name their new small car the Pinto - the name has too much baggage.

When new users Google "UTG rail reviews" they'll be hit with information on the old stuff and misinformation on the new stuff.  This is why S&W came out with the SD9, rather than call it the Sigma Gen3 (or whatever generation of Sigma they'd be at).  Good or bad, right or wrong, reputations mean a lot to many people.  They're easy to ruin and hard to build.  

Oh, and tell them to work on a modular FF system like the TRX Extreme and Evolution.  

totaly agree with this. they could put out the best product, but thier wold still be ppl that would refuse to buy or use em just because of the name.

also, the quad rail already has my attention, if they came out with a modular system that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#28]
im interested in getting this rail however will the barrel nut just slide over the low profile gas block or do you have to take the gas block off to install this rail?

will this work with an A2 front sight?  sorry for the dumb questions. i havent picked a complete upper yet.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
im interested in getting this rail however will the barrel nut just slide over the low profile gas block or do you have to take the gas block off to install this rail?

will this work with an A2 front sight?  sorry for the dumb questions. i havent picked a complete upper yet.

You will remove your stock hardware including the gas block.  You will then need to install the provided barrel nut, a low-profile gas block of your choosing, then slide the rail over that and tighten with the supplied screws and wrench.  

If your rifle is equipped with the A-frame standard style sight you will need to cut it down to fit under the rail, or remove completely and use a low profile gas block.

Personally, I don't see a need to spend any more money on a gas block than is needed.  I have had good luck with the YHM gas blocks and they are very reasonably priced.  A site sponsor here (AIM) carries them and they always ship my products fast and hassle free.  I highly recommend.

set screw style YHM..

The same gas block can be had in clamp on style for around $10 more.  If you buy this rail it will come with instructions rolled up inside.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks this helps alot.

is it easier if i purchased a complete upper that has a A2 front sight or a low profile gas block?  

will it work with an A2 front sight?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
thanks this helps alot.

is it easier if i purchased a complete upper that has a A2 front sight or a low profile gas block?  

will it work with an A2 front sight?

You can make anything work if you really want it to.  But honestly using a low-profile gas block is the easiest and will have the cleanest looking end results.  Slide your rail/tube over your gas block, mount you a front sight of your choosing to your rail and be done with it.

I don't think it would work well using the standard A-frame style sight.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#32]
sweet.   i really didnt want to take off the low profile gas block to put this rail on.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
sweet.   i really didnt want to take off the low profile gas block to put this rail on.  

Obviously, you will have to remove the low profile gas block to get the old barrel nut off and this one on.

[edit] By their instructions ONLY model #'s MTU004 and MTU006 fit over the low profile gas block
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#34]
My apologies if this isnt the appropriate place for this but I figured the quality of the GRG MFG is probably on par with UTG.  Since I was on a budget, I took a chance on this rail.  It came in at just over $85 for the 10" rail.  The design strongly resemble the YHM free float rails.

The total weight of the rail and the included barrel nut was 14.4 oz.  It has an anti-rotational set screw on the bottom to prevent the rail from spinning.  The set screw is designed to pin the rail to one of the gas tube slots in the barrel nut.  Best I can explain is imagine a threaded buffer stop pin.

I dont know what the quality difference is compared to the more expensive options, but for the money, so far, Im happy with what I got for what I paid.

Pic of the setup weighed.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6631898369_7809861af0_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6631900779_f3584f731b_z.jpg

Pic of the rail itself.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6631902545_76a3e597e3_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6631904817_05b0ed265a_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6631907003_5de8e023ab_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6631909097_44d8ef24d0_z.jpg

Pics on the AR.
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp94/wcj/IMG_1926.jpg
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp94/wcj/IMG_1925.jpg

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
yes.. it will slip over the gas block.. but obviously you need to take the gas tube off.. because i have set screw gas block, it's easier for me to just remove the gas block to pull the gas tube out.. i don't even have to pull of my flast suppressor. i just push the gas block forward so i can remove the nut, put a new one on.. the gas tube aligned.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yes.. it will slip over the gas block.. but obviously you need to take the gas tube off.. because i have set screw gas block, it's easier for me to just remove the gas block to pull the gas tube out.. i don't even have to pull of my flast suppressor. i just push the gas block forward so i can remove the nut, put a new one on.. the gas tube aligned.

Quoted:

I'm not saying your wrong but I haven't seen a low profile gas block that a barrel nut will slip over. I'm not saying there isn't one. Maybe a press fit one, i don't know. I just haven't seen one. The barrel nut will go over "most" FH/FS but not the gas block. The gas block will not fit over "most" FH/ FS either.  So to remove the barrel nut you need to remove the FH/ FS and the gas block (leave the gas tube attached to the GB if you choose). Remove barrel nut and install new barrel nut, then gas block and FH/ FS. Also, if you don't have a free float already, you need to remove the handguard cap anyway.

[edit] The RAIL itself will slide over everything so it can be put on last.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#38]
let me confirm next time i take my gun apart.. now that you say that.. i have to confirm by doing so :)

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not saying your wrong but I haven't seen a low profile gas block that a barrel nut will slip over. I'm not saying there isn't one. Maybe a press fit one, i don't know. I just haven't seen one. The barrel nut will go over "most" FH/FS but not the gas block. The gas block will not fit over "most" FH/ FS either.  So to remove the barrel nut you need to remove the FH/ FS and the gas block (leave the gas tube attached to the GB if you choose). Remove barrel nut and install new barrel nut, then gas block and FH/ FS. Also, if you don't have a free float already, you need to remove the handguard cap anyway.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#39]
the rail slide over the gas block.. but the barrel nut does not.  i was wrong..

Update:

the rail is doing fine... BUT

i had to take the rail off because the receiver and barrel combo i am using shoot to the left, and i hate it when my rear sight is not centered.  this caused my real sight to be adjusted almost all the way to the right.  i know it's not a big deal.. but it bother me.. on this particular gun, same thing happens with DD, TRX, as well.

so i put a   armlite clamp on FSB so i can adjust the front site to center my rear site.. and the rail is 9" and leaves no room  for the FSB (it's a 11.5 SBR)!!  i had to put my 7" DD back on and probably will have to buy another 7" UTG.  the 9" UTG is on a different gun..    and i pretty much only shoot my SBR these days..  

i will post update when i get a 7" installed...  

Quoted:
let me confirm next time i take my gun apart.. now that you say that.. i have to confirm by doing so :)

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:03:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Is target sports the same as utg? I noticed cdnn always has them listed as target sports.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top