User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
KAC and DPMS ARE the only AR types that work worth a crap IMO if I'm allowed to have opinion that is. I may try one of the new AR10s tho to see if they have there "issues" worked out.

You stated flat out in another thread that they still had issues.  Now you want to see if they still have issues?

Armalite still has a few bugs that have not been worked out(even after tons of upgrades and recalls)

I guess I have kept my AR10s even though they have "issues" and don't run worth a damn, huh.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea because I want it to run perfect because I like the Company and under ARF law buy both. I like the DI rifle system and really like the 308 platforms because there easier to clean IMO because of the larger extension,upper and chamber area. Not to mention there 308 and is there any other round
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yea because I want it to run perfect because I like the Company and under ARF law buy both. I like the DI rifle system and really like the 308 platforms because there easier to clean IMO because of the larger extension,upper and chamber area. Not to mention there 308 and is there any other round

Mine do run perfect.  The one with the stainless steel barrel is a 2000 model and it has always run like a top.  The others are all newer including the Eagle Arms 10T that I built from parts from the "Gone Wild" sale.  In fact, except for the 10A4 with SS barrel and the 10A2 carbine, the rest were all put together by me from "sales" parts for the most part.  Once I have gotten each one broken in, I have not had problems.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...however I find it a little disturbing that everytime another manufacure comes up with a rifle and names it any closely to the AR-10 a lawsuite is on their way...

Maybe this will make sense, maybe not:

What if Ford purchased a small Korean or Chinese truck company who made small boxy SUV's with round lights, soft tops, and rigid front and rear axles, and then imported them all here to the US.....

Should Ford be able to advertise, market & sell them under the name "A-Jeep"?

Or do you think that might be some sort of problem?

I can't go along with your analogy. its much closer to: There's a company called Royal that designed and built BAR rifles during WWI&II licensing the design to others for the war effort. Since then they have gone out of business and are no longer a commercial entity neither protecting their TM nor producing any goods under it for longer than twenty years which causes default and it becomes public domain and manufacturers like Phillidelphia Ord and others produced Royal BARs. But then Ford buys Royal and all of a sudden something that was public is now owned, litigation tries to sweep the truth under the carpet but history cannot be undone. Then the Fordofiles try to say that they have a better idea when all they did was buy an defaulted public name and copy Chevy's (KAC's) designs.

AI AR10-Dan in Ga

Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Larry G ... Once you got them broken in??????  My DPMS has been flawless from round #1.  So I guess that settles it. DPMS is better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Larry G ... Once you got them broken in??????  My DPMS has been flawless from round #1.  So I guess that settles it. DPMS is better.

Very funny.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
tread lightly Armalite backers lock threads

sorry FFR about your pole post.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...licensing the design to others...

Please illustrate one instance of Mark Westrom licensing his companies design to anyone...??  Remember his is NOT the AR-10A, nor is it the KAC.  It's the M-10, designated the AR-10B.

A trademark issued by the US Patent & Trademark Office is a legally binding document/mark.

In my example, two separate companies want to sell similar but mostly different products, but one company, Ford, wants to use a very similar derivative name that is trademarked and in use by its DIRECT competitor, Jeep.

A legal non-starter of a case for the company trying to infringe on the trademark. I'm not sure why this is so unclear for someone who seems well versed enough to have a pleasant discussion, but it's usually covered, in some depth, in the first semester of Business Law.

Just because Ugarte didn't ever pursue litigation against anyone doesn't mean that his ownership of the trademark was any less legally binding.

The history of the matter lies in the legal document trail.  Ugarte had the mark.  Ugarte sold the mark to Westrom.  US Patent & TM has ArmaLite on file.

Therefore, all the romanticism of free and unrestrained enterprise aside, ArmaLite holds the trump card as of today -- 31 May 2007.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 DPMS 308s and they ran perfectly right out of the box.  No matter what I feed them they both run like a top (24" and 16" barrels).  I thought about the FAL mag issue but once I saw how smooth the DPMS mags run I haven't given much thought since.  Buy all the mags you think you will need to circumvent a possible high-cap mag ban.  I've found 44mag to have some of the best prices around at $30 per mag.  I have also bought a few $6 dollar FAL mags and most have needed work.  

The first time I had my 24" DPMS LR308 at the range the guy next to me was shooting his brand new JP AR-15.  That JP was sweet but so was the price.  I could match his rifle shot for shot at 100 yards coming in at about .5 groups.  We were both shooting Federal Match ammo.  I think he was a little disappointed when he saw my target especially since I was shooting an $875 rifle.  He had well over $3,000 in his rig with options.  Nevertheless, I have been extremely happy with the performance of both of my DPMS 308s.  Actually, I was only trying to buy a .308 plinker but ended up with two accurate rifles out of the box.  Now, the LR308 is my long-range target rifle.  I guess I still need another plinker :)  By the way, the DPMS 308s look just like an AR-15 on steroids.  Most parts interchange but a few items won't like the buffertube and spring.   I'll be buying another DPMS stainless as I've got the bug.        
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Very funny.

LarryG36, have you broken that barrel in yet?
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...licensing the design to others...

Please illustrate one instance of Mark Westrom licensing his companies design to anyone...??  Remember his is NOT the AR-10A, nor is it the KAC.  It's the M-10, designated the AR-10B.

Mark never has, Failchild licensed to AI.

A trademark issued by the US Patent & Trademark Office is a legally binding document/mark.

Yes provided that the transaction was legal and researched for validity by the Government entity. With the NFA registry in the state its in you are trying to tell me that there is no way that the patent office could not have made a mistake?

Just because Ugarte didn't ever pursue litigation against anyone doesn't mean that his ownership of the trademark was any less legally binding.

It so very much does, research it.

The history of the matter lies in the legal document trail.  Ugarte had the mark.  Ugarte sold the mark to Westrom.  US Patent & TM has ArmaLite on file.

Ugarte did not hold legal title, it defaulted to the public domain due to inactivity.

Therefore, all the romanticism of free and unrestrained enterprise aside, ArmaLite holds the trump card as of today -- 31 May 2007.

To shut me up will cost money and Armalite will not spend it, to do so will reveal the undeniable truth.

Link Posted: 5/31/2007 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mark never has, Failchild licensed to AI.

Bzzt.  Wrong.  AR-10B family of weapons.  Not the same, is it?

Yes provided that the transaction was legal and researched for validity by the Government entity. With the NFA registry in the state its in you are trying to tell me that there is no way that the patent office could not have made a mistake?

That's the straw you are grasping for?  Come now, that's quite a reach.

Ugarte did not hold legal title, it defaulted to the public domain due to inactivity.

Well, you can't have it both ways.  Either Ugarte held the trademark and legally sold it to Mark Westrom OR it was available as a trademark and could be pursued by Mark Westrom for purchase.  By your own contention, it couldn't have been inactive.  There were people producing AR-10's all along.

Their failure was in that they did not trademark the name.  Shame on them.  The AR-10 and ArmaLite name were never inactive entirely, were they?

Therefore, Mark Westrom's procurement from Ugarte was either legally binding OR his pursuit of the unrestrained trademark was also legally binding.

To PROVE you are correct YOU'D have to spend money.  Which is clearly more difficult than shooting off your mouth on the internet at every chance.  Isn't it?

Link Posted: 5/31/2007 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Shivan and Larry G are always right when it comes to Armalite so drop it, its rude to give your opinion here. The reason its rude is it leads to locked posts and the poster may not get the answers he needs. This is not a free speech board.

cool
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
There have been a number of things I have not been impressed with about my DPMS LR308 at all.  I've had to "fix" a lot of that factory F-ups and / or poor design.  That said, it's basically where I want it now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Want to hear contrasting viewpoints??

If you talk to the former head of the AMU program he likes the ArmaLite AR-10's, a lot.  He certainly defends them in writing over the KAC and other platforms a fair amount of time.  He posts here some.  Having probably seen 1000's and 1000's of rounds through ArmaLite AR-10 products.

On the flip side, I have seen many combat/firearms/tactics instructors, whose opinions I trust, write that there is no "AR-10" {generic usage referring to .308 autoloaders} that's worth a shit where the rubber meets the road.  Not even the vaunted SR-25/Mk11.

Think about the money and development time (40+ years) that has gone in to the 5.56 M16/AR-15 family.

The .308 autoloaders are in their relative infacy, from both R&D and a chronological standpoint.

Somewhere in the middle of all the crap is the "real story".  I guarantee that there are more functioning AR-10's that haven't been mucked with, than there are problems.

Not everyone is as capable at armorer level repair as they think they are....
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#17]
And the best 308 rifle is the one that you can afford.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
WOW!!! never thought I'd get such a heated argument going over that question. I really didn't know that RRA had not delivered any .308's yet. I've just been thinking about getting one and wanted some opinions. Yeah, I guess the SR 25 is nice but it's also expensive. I've never heard anything bad about the DPMS but the price almost seems too good to be true. Anybody know how they shoot at 600 yds?
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know anything about the Fulton Armory Titan?
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I have shot the TAC 20 and the LR308 along with my 300S(SAUM) at 600.  The 2 308s shoot/shot round 4" groups for me with a fixed 3200 10x if I had a better scope and worked more with the rifles I would improve that. At 400 yards I get around 2" groups and at 100 I get alot of 1/4 MOA(I don't use MOA at longer range its too forgiving IMO).
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have shot the TAC 20 and the LR308 along with my 300S(SAUM) at 600.  The 2 308s shoot/shot round 4" groups for me with a fixed 3200 10x if I had a better scope and worked more with the rifles I would improve that. At 400 yards I get around 2" groups and at 100 I get alot of 1/4 MOA(I don't use MOA at longer range its too forgiving IMO).

You got 1/4 MOA out of an LR308?!?!

Ya got any target pics?  I think getting sub-MOA out of these is certainly possible, but 1/4 I have to call BS without some proof to those big claims.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone know anything about the Fulton Armory Titan?

Over-priced, re-badged DPMS.

Is that a fact?  The receivers, Bolt Carrier Group, etc are made by DPMS?
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Man those Titans really look like DPMS parts so i would say yes or there getting there parts from the same place DPMS does.

The worst shooting DPMS I have is the 300 SAUM which shoots all 4 rounds from its mag into a single ragged hole(Quarter size). Now I'm a better than average shot and have good steel rings and J&P triggers in my 2 DPMSs. The TAC 20 and the LR308(no longer own) have had lots of 3 round groups that were all 3 in one single impact hole. The groups look like the test targets from a Cooper rifle, which BTW are shot off a bag with a 20X Luepold scope at 40 yards(what a rip). DPMS ARs shoot great but so do AR10Ts at least mine does. It just doesn't work 100% yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Got this out of my MK11 @ 100 yards (5 shot groups) 44.0 grains of Varget 175 grains SMK OAL:2.800

Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Got this out of my MK11 @ 100 yards (5 shot groups) 44.0 grains of Varget 175 grains SMK OAL:2.800

i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/thmpr464/CIMG2093.jpg

Why do they always brag... when they miss the da-da-damn coin?
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Wanted to have a soda later....
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Speciality Sports in Colorado Springs does have a Bushmaster Bar 10 on the wall.
It uses FAL mags. $1700-1800.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quote from RRA as of 19 June 07 on .308 production:

Production and shipping has, indeed, commenced onthe RRA LAR-6.8s.
.458s started a couple weeks ago, and .308s are finally going to start very shortly.
Steve/RRA
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top