Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Has your friend tried the bolt carrier in another upper?  It may not be the carrier's fault..
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question.  I'll ask him and swap it into one of my uppers next time I see him to check it out.

I assumed, and still do, that the machining of the carrier to the tighter end of the scale was to blame here.  Maybe his upper was a machined a bit tight and this mixed with the tight fitting Young carrier caused the issue.

Just my opinion......but the few beneficial features and extra cost over a proper quality standard carrier isn't worth having a potential problem.  I'll stick with LMT/re-staked CMT/Colt carriers in my rifles.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The ease of cleaning and (I'm assuming, based on first hand experience) less frequent lubing during long shooting and large round count days easily won me over
I'm used to hearing the carrier and receiving grating during chamber checks when they're both new, on an AR10 I could also smell the smell from the friction.  Maybe I'm just one of the many lucky buyers that experiences a much smoother operation with chromed carriers.  I don't think I'll buy anything but chrome from now, it's not for looks, the minute improvements (to address real or perceived shortcomings of the original design) are not the reason either, they just work for me
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info Paul.  So my buddy's issue isn't directly the fault of the YM carrier.  Whether the fault of the YM or of the receiver, there was still an avoidable problem.  If one is even somewhat likely to get a tight upper somewhere down the line, the possibility of having a YM carrier that is slightly over sized by design be too tight to feed in that upper outweighs the benefit of it being easier to clean.  I'll stick to standard sized carriers personally.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Young Mfg chrome bolt from Dan at the SAR show in Phoenix & he said they made it in house!  Dont know what to make of it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm brand new to the forum, but I did just recently come across the answer to this question.  I had heard that Macnamerra  (is that how you spell it?) and his whiz kids deemed the chrome carriers a waste of money, and so they were scrapped.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My LBC carrier is staked as in this photo.  Should I have them staked from the side also?  (Just a few hundred rounds with it, but no sign of loosening so far.)

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a older Youngs carrier that I use in a RDIAS host.  I have well over 10,000+ rounds on it and it still looks good (no chrome flaking, no distortion).  Easy to clean after 5-700 rounds on full auto.

At the time I purchased it they made both ar15 and m16 versions.  If they still make a m16 version I'd love to pick one up as a spare (although I can't see the one I have wearing out).

Gov dropped the chrome as a cost cutting issue.

The inside of my upper looks great, and I shoot the hell out of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top