BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I got on Amazon and order that book, "The Raid"...

Now I need to save my nickles and get those photo books on SOG..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
More info, maybe you other guys can add to this later.  The serial numbers on my sights are:

Spherical tip:  21974
Spherical tip:  30608
Conical tip:     47355

I also once saw a spherical version on Ebay that was 19xxx.

Also, the spherical ones have plastic flip-caps on the adjustments.  The conical version has regular screw on aluminum caps.

Probably means nothing if they started a new number range between versions.

ETA: a full serial number
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Found the pics I was talking about above:

www.sontayraider.com/Slide5.JPG

www.sontayraider.com/Slide8.JPG

Do they kind of look like the spherical tipped sight to you guys?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried to enlarge and get a better pic, but I could not..

To me, yes they look like the spherical ones...

That site is a wealth of info on the raid, and good pics, but not one in good enough detail to see the mount or the sight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My Singlepoint with the conical tip measures 7.25 and weighs in at 6.7 ounces:

Dick Meadows:

Billy Moore:

and my Singlepoint is #2784 and has the plastic flip-off covers and the conical tip.

This photo I just found pretty much shows the round-tip.  Can't say for sure about those above, but this one leaves no question:

Emailed the Director of the JFK Special Warfare Museum this evening and requested pics of the Armalite sight they have exhibited.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey uxb,
I just pulled off my scope to check the number (47355), and will edit the post above.  Thanks for the pic, I've seen that one, but never as clear.  I guess that confirms it.  They must have changed the design around 1970.  Seeing this pic along with the one of the wall-hanger makes me think maybe they had both models on the raid.

ETA:  Somewhat related to this discussion:  I just saw an ad on Sturmgewehr for a full-auto USAS12.  It comes with the Armson OEG with the integral AR15 mount that some of you guys are looking for.  I wouldn't be surprised if the guy would sell it separately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently read a book about the only guy to serve on all three hostage rescue raids by the military. He was at the raid to rescue the Bataan Death March survivors, the Son Tay Raid and he was at Desert One in Iran. I'll post the name of the book if I can find it again.

He talked about the 150 rehearsals they did and the fact they had to tear down their 100%, full size mock up prison they built every night to keep Soviet satelites from seeing it during the day.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I recently read a book about the only guy to serve on all three hostage rescue raids by the military. He was at the raid to rescue the Bataan Death March survivors, the Son Tay Raid and he was at Desert One in Iran. I'll post the name of the book if I can find it again.

Col. Arthur D. "Bull" Simons, right?
I was surprised when he popped up in the Great Raid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]

No, not him. Another guy I never heard of until I read his book. It was basically his memoirs. I'll look for it tonight and see if i still have it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No, not him. Another guy I never heard of until I read his book. It was basically his memoirs. I'll look for it tonight and see if i still have it.

Oh, yeah. Bull went to Tehran on his own to rescue the EDS people. He wasn't part of Eagle Claw.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The guys name is MSG Galen Charles Kittleson. He was at the Bataan raid, the SOn Tay Raid, Attempted resuce of Nick Rowe and Desert One.

The book is the Raider by Charles W. Sasser
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Take this for what it's worth, from Time/Life's Special Forces and Missions book-

No effort was spared to increase the raid's chances. For example, the regular sights on the assault rifles-a post on the barrel that the shooter centers in the notch in the gun's carry handle-were useless in the dark, even with a quarter moon. At Eglin, Simon's best marksman could hit torso-size targets at 50 meters only 25% of the time. Better sights would be required.

In June, Meadows had attended a small-arms conference in California, where he noticed a new kind of night sight. Agreeing that this might be just what was needed, Simon instructed Meadows to order 2 of the $49.50 devices from the manufacturer-Armalite Corporation of Costa Mesa, California-and mount them for testing.

Using the Armilite Singlepoint sight, even the poorest marksman could consistently put all his rounds in a torso sized target at 75 meters. The only trouble was the mountings tended to work loose. This was solved with the generous use of electrician's Tape. Sights were ordered for each rifle.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a little surprising that the rifles in the pics have 11.5 inch barrels without the forward assist.  Were these Airforce GAU-5A/A models?  Anyone have further info on them?

Thanks,
Dan

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
And they were ordered from Sears:

Mr. uxb,

I went to the forum link you gave me.  The sight used on the Raid was made by the Armalite Co. and was purchased from Sears.  There were none in the U.S. Army inventory at the time.  

Roxanne    

from Roxanne Merritt, Director, John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center.

The link she refers to in her email was this one.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought I would post this info in all of the more recent “Retro Discussions” that I could find in the hopes that I may help those who are looking for info, and it may help to cut down on duplicate posts.

GENERAL RETRO PICTURES
RETRO PICTURE THREAD #2!

Lets see some oldies!

TECHNICAL AND HISTORICAL GUIDES ON RETRO MODELS
COLT'S USGI M16 SERIES VARIATION GUIDE EDITION III

COLT SMG, COMMANDO, AND CARBINE VARIATIONS GUIDE

LOWER RECEIVER & MAG FLOORPLATE ROLLMARKS, LOGOS AND MARKINGS

XM177 RETRO BUILDS
WHO MAKES THE MOST AUTHENTIC XM-177E2 REPLICA PARTS ?

WHO ALL IS ACTIVELY BUILDING AN XM177 CLONE?

XM177E2 (?) IMAGE FROM SON TAY RAID FOR THE RETRO INTERESTED

So..you are thinking of a retro build...PICS and information

RETRO OPTICS
Armson OEGs for Retro-rifles

RETRO RIFLES/CARBINES OPTICS PIC THREAD

This is by no means all of the topics that are out there, but I think that these topics are the most extensive and have most of the bases covered. If you do a search for “Retro” or “XM177” you will find that there are a few more out there.

Hope this helps,
“Capt Richardson”
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top