[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!|

BUSHMASTER (most basic) will kick the crap out of an armalite basic model; such as in all mil-spec parts, chromelined bbl, a FH, etc are all standard on a bushy

h/w, w/ the proper upgrades, the armalite and bushy are on par w/ each other
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

While I am happy that you are a QC Tech, I think I know a little about QC.  Having a Master Degree in Quality gives me a broad background in Quality.  Being an ASQ,  CQA says I know a little something about evaluating quality systems.  Not to mention certified in Design for Six Sigma, Lean MFG and working as an Adjunct Professor of Quality.

Your comment about Armalite building quality into their product doesn't square with the reality of FSBs secured with woefully inadequate fasteners, improperly torqued barrel nuts, and improperly reamed barrels. These are all indicative of half-assed assembly, not to mention an inadequate QA program that allows these fuckups to be released to an unsuspecting public. Building to your own drawings is wonderful, but only if you follow up your assembly with the due diligence in QA that the customer deserves.

Having said that, when were you out at ArmaLite to review their QC system?  Are you qualified to review their QC systems?  Please explain.  If you have access to ArmaLite’s external failure data publish it.

I guarantee mister big shot QC tech; that my background with DLA, as a QC Manager,  Supplier Development Manager and having completed hundreds of audits of the same amount of manufactures from cast steel to leather and everything in between, I can speak with authority on any subject regarding QC.  Besides, how hard can it be?  You build guns for crying out loud! Try building an airplane or a car.  

Yawn..........Get over YOURSELF  qcmgr. What is this, the 80th time we've had to here about your world class credentials as a qcmgr? John Doe can have the very best QC system(s) in the world, but what matters is what comes out the door to the end-user. To a customer, that is the bottom line. YMMV

G-CODE: Armalite, Colt and Bushmaster user/owner.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If in doubt, just do what I did.
I have a Armalite lower w/a BM upper.  I like it just fine.  I think the quality is about equal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster and Colt build significantly more ARs for civilian sales than any other maker

this quantity sets a price point that smaller makers have to meet

AR 15 TYPE RIFLES MANUFACTURED - YEAR 2000
# of Rifles Manufacturer
39,932 BUSHMASTER FIREARMS, INC.
29,950 COLT'S MANUFACTURING CO.
8,475 ARMALITE, INC.
5,869 DPMS ARMS, INC.
3,910 OLYMPIC ARMS, INC.
2,964 PWA, INC.
2,614 PROFESSIONAL ORDNANCE, INC.
967 HESSE, LTD.
191 ROCK RIVER ARMS, INC.
6 ALLAN P. ZITTA

94,878 TOTAL

AR 15 TYPE RIFLES MANUFACTURED - YEAR 1999
# of Rifles Manufacturer
64,506 BUSHMASTER FIREARMS, INC.
29,143 COLT'S MANUFACTURING CO.
8,018 ARMALITE, INC.
7,456 OLYMPIC ARMS, INC.
6,903 DPMS ARMS, INC.
1,756 PROFESSIONAL ORDNANCE, INC.
996 KNIGHTS MANUFACTURING CO.
606 HESSE, LTD.
330 ROCK RIVER ARMS, INC.
110 WILSON COMBAT
87 JP ENTERPRISES, INC
26 ALLAN P. ZITTA

119,937 TOTAL
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Armalite rifles are typically better finished and thats the only difference between the two.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

armalite is more milspec then COLT !!!!

I'm sorry, but something needs to be put to rest here once and for all. There is absolutely no such thing as a "milspec" or even "almost milspec" AR. The very term "milspec" as it relates to ARs has been bastardized into a bullshit marketing buzzword and nothing more.

Any manufacturer who regularly throws around terms like "milspec", "national match", "tactical", "SOCOM" etc should be looked upon with a weary eye at best. If you want to look purely at "milspec" construction materials used in ARs then Bushy, Colt, and LMT would get the nod.

-4150 steel
-MP tested
-Chrome-lined barrels and chambers (except for certain Bushy and Colt barrels)
-Proper finishes and sealcoating

Using the proper constructions materials is only half of the battle however. The processes used to manufacture, finish, and most importantly inspect/test the finished parts is just as important as the parts themselves. I'll gladly take a properly assembled RRA for example, with it's "inferior" barrel steel over an AR built with "milspec" materials that was assenbled with questionable (or non-existent) QA procedures.

Anyone who looks primarily at specs and not build quality deserves whatever problems they get.

"4150"BIG  fucking deal my ARMALITE is chrome line ANDchambered YOU cant tell the DIF. Also armalite does NOT say it's milspec ,they just say that they are CLOSER to the O.G rifle!!!

PLESE TELL ME HOW CAN YOU TELL THE DIF IN "4150" TO THE "4140" BARRELS !!!

All that really matters is that IT"S chrome line and the chambered is chrome !!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
after 9-11
the atf stopped publishing the data

the above y2000 report was published in 2002
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but something needs to be put to rest here once and for all. There is absolutely no such thing as a "milspec" or even "almost milspec" AR. The very term "milspec" as it relates to ARs has been bastardized into a bullshit marketing buzzword and nothing more.

Any manufacturer who regularly throws around terms like "milspec", "national match", "tactical", "SOCOM" etc should be looked upon with a weary eye at best. If you want to look purely at "milspec" construction materials used in ARs then Bushy, Colt, and LMT would get the nod.

-4150 steel
-MP tested

Using the proper constructions materials is only half of the battle however. The processes used to manufacture, finish, and most importantly inspect/test the finished parts is just as important as the parts themselves. I'll gladly take a properly assembled RRA for example, with it's "inferior" barrel steel over an AR built with "milspec" materials that was assenbled with questionable (or non-existent) QA procedures.

Anyone who looks primarily at specs and not build quality deserves whatever problems they get.

"4150"BIG  fucking deal my ARMALITE is chrome line ANDchambered YOU cant tell the DIF. Also armalite does NOT say it's milspec ,they just say that they are CLOSER to the O.G rifle!!!

All that really matters is that IT"S chrome line and the chambered is chrome !!!!

What NO answer ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Armalite rifles are typically better finished and thats the only difference between the two.

There is another MAJOR difference that means a lot to me....I guess not to some others.

ArmaLite's are backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY...

With the prices being within $50-100 of each other for similar models I would take a lifetime warrantied model over one with a 1 year warranty EVERY time. 4150 steel be damned.  Though I ONLY have AR15 uppers with 4150 steel since I bought uppers after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread had gotten rediculous...............I'm unsubscribing from it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Only full auto/ select fire/ burst are Mil Spec, if you want to get picky about the definition.  

I like my Armalite.  I like my Oly.  Get in the fight or stay on the porch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This thread had gotten rediculous...............I'm unsubscribing from it.

Gosh, we might not be able to live without you -- please stay......
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#21]
The own or have owned Colt, Armalite, and Bushmaster (ok, and an Oly, but it was an old SGW stop sign version, which was very good).  I have not found the Colts to be any better than the other two.  

My Armalites and Bushmasters are neck and neck as far as I am concerned they are equal except for one big difference: Only BMI makes the receiver ready for RDIAS - Everyone else (as far as I have been able to tell - and I went out and have actually checked myself to confirm Colt, Armalite, BMI, RRA, Oly, and even my LCW by LMT) requires some machining.   I have not been able to check DPMS, Stag, Mega, Ameetec.  Maybe dropping in a RDIAS (or SHTF TEOTWAWKI IWGMAAABOBCM, an improvised DIAS) isn't important to you, but to me the ability to drop in an auto sear in the future would be a plus everything else being equal.  Of course, a lower that is two little holes from taking M16 fire control parts would even be better (but might get frowned on by the BATF)!  Just my two cents.

I will not bother to check Hesse.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The own or have owned Colt, Armalite, and Bushmaster (ok, and an Oly, but it was an old SGW stop sign version, which was very good).  I have not found the Colts to be any better than the other two.  

My Armalites and Bushmasters are neck and neck as far as I am concerned they are equal except for one big difference: Only BMI makes the receiver ready for RDIAS - Everyone else (as far as I have been able to tell - and I went out and have actually checked myself to confirm Colt, Armalite, BMI, RRA, Oly, and even my LCW by LMT) requires some machining.   I have not been able to check DPMS, Stag, Mega, Ameetec.  Maybe dropping in a RDIAS (or SHTF TEOTWAWKI IWGMAAABOBCM, an improvised DIAS) isn't important to you, but to me the ability to drop in an auto sear in the future would be a plus everything else being equal.  Of course, a lower that is two little holes from taking M16 fire control parts would even be better (but might get frowned on by the BATF)!  Just my two cents.

I will not bother to check Hesse.

DPMS is RDIAS ready.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When considering quality/most milspec it goes like this.....

1.  Colt military
2.  Colt commerical/Bushmaster (each brand has it's own quirks so I can't put one above the other)
3.  Armalite
4.  Rock River
5.  Olympic

Olympic has NO spec.  Each of their shit bombs is a 100% unique lop of shit.

LMAO
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Why has this not been locked? "Stupid" fighting agaist "More stupid than I"
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#25]
What about DSA????  Now im really confused on which AR to buy,  Guess I'll just buy a real gun, AK or FAL
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-4150 steel
-MP tested

What NO answer ?

Still no ANSWER , about the 4150and the 4140 SO  To all "mines better then yours because It's 4150 steel barrels" then SHUT THE FUCK UP !!! "WELL I HERD IT WAS BETTER"
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
<snip>
ArmaLite's are backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY

With the prices being within $50-100 of each other for similar models I would take a lifetime warrantied model over one with a 1 year warranty EVERY time. 4150 steel be damned.  Though I ONLY have AR15 uppers with 4150 steel since I bought uppers after the fact.

Is the warranty void if you change to a non armalite upper?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know, I know, this is another one of those which one is better threads, but seriously though, I have always thought of Armalite as a notch above Bushmaster.  Both are great gun makers no doubt, but doesnt Armalite go the extra mile???

Jivana108 ...

Go to your local gunshop and look at firearms yourself, (assuming they sell the products you're looking for).

Do your own homework .... don't bother with some of these people here, you're only going to receive biased replys, and smart alec remarks.

To me, Armalite makes a good product, so does Colt and so does Bushmaster.

I don't know what you mean by asking the question of Armalite "going the extra mile". I'm sure that most AR manufactorers do the best they can.

If you want a "mil-spec" rifle, again, do your homework ... seems like few here agree of what and what isn't isn't mil-spec.

On a personal note, I don't see your post inquiry as being offensive, givin the number of times you've posted and the character content of your post. However, it seems that some will not even give you the benefit of doubt, much to thier loss.

Anyway, I'm sure you're a pretty smart person (male or female, I don't know), and you'll make a good decision either way.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
4150 has a higher tensile stength over 4140.

Barely higher....

www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/alloy_steels/show_alloy.cfm?ID=AISI_4150&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI%204150

www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/alloy_steels/show_alloy.cfm?ID=AISI_4140&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI%204140

...and what does it SPECIFICALLY mean in relation to the performance of an AR upper?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
4150 has a higher tensile stength over 4140.

Barely higher....

www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/alloy_steels/show_alloy.cfm?ID=AISI_4150&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI%204150

www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/alloy_steels/show_alloy.cfm?ID=AISI_4140&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI%204140

...and what does it SPECIFICALLY mean in relation to the performance of an AR upper?

4150:  729.5 Mpa
4140:  655.0 Mpa

11.4% difference.  That is significant.

mmkay.....answer the question....

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#33]
4140 normalized at 870 degress has a tensile strength of 1020.4 MPa SOOOOOOOOOOOO who uses what process and WHAT SPECIFICALLY does it do to add to the use of an AR upper??  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Shivan, you know the answer to your own question.

Actually, I have NO IDEA who uses WHAT process to treat their steel.  If you'll notice the links I gave you there are at least 6 processes to prepare the steel and each one varies greatly in it's characteristics.

Anybody have the milspec for how the require the 4150 steel to be treated?  Then does anyone know if the barrels of 4150 are done this way?  I mean we now know that certain magnetic particle testing is only done randomly, despite markings to the contrary.

I have no idea how Wilson processes their 4140 steel, or how Armalite does, or how DPMS processes their 4150.

Do you?

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I know what the proper 4150 is supposed to offer....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
ArmaLite's are backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY

Is the warranty void if you change to a non armalite upper?

I'm pretty sure that is OK to do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what the proper 4150 is supposed to offer....

There are standards for properties that steels are to provide.  The standard for 4150 has a higher tensile strength then 4140.  You can do additional processes to the steel to modify the properties some.  I don't have the M16/M4 barrel specs in front of me.

But we weren't talking about the additional processes done to a steel to modify it's properties.  We were talking about 4140 vs 4150.  4150 has a higher tensile strength.  It's a stronger (albet more expensive) steel.  Stainless steel barrels might even be better, but that is not the current milspec.  The military wanted a barrel steel that had a little higher tensile strength.  One reason could be that they were having problems with bent barrels (just a guess).  I am not privy to military specs and am not going to spend time looking them up.  I answered the question about 4140 vs 4150.  4150 has a higher tensile strength.

It doesn't matter one way or the other to me.  I have 4140, 4150 and stainless barrels in my safe.

Read the links, click the sublinks....no extra things added just a different temp finishing can yield a higher tensile for 4140 vs. 4150.

Who uses what?  How are Armalite 4140 barrels finished?  870 degree normalized, 815 degree annealed, oil quenched?  How are DPMS 4150's finished?  What is the milspec.  This is not special stuff this is just a finishing process.

You answered with marketing hype -- I presented a metallurgical site that states that certain 4140 can, IN FACT, possess higher tensile strength.  Who uses what process?

I agree that the base material 4150 is of higher tensile strength, please don't misunderstand my angle.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
There is some interesting discussion among a lot of total bull crap here. Thanks to those of you who have shared some differences, facts, and opinions basd on experience here. CJan, QCMGR had some of what I thought was valuable, Shivan had some hard info on 4140/4150 differences. Things like that are great topics and points for discussion. Some of the other flame baits and tooly STFU crap is not helpful at all.

Things really need to change around here. Folks who participate can do it themselves when they post, or staff and mods will have to change it for you.

I did have a good point !!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]
4150 steel has more carbon. That is the main difference. Obviously, different manufacturers make their steels in different ways, but 4150 steel will usually have more carbon.

More carbon, in general, means steel is harder and has better tensile strength, but also is more brittle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#43]
NO
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'd consider them about equal, a little bit under Colt.

+1
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow!! This is getting interesting!!  Anyway , I work In law enforcement and always talk to other officers and instructors about police service rifles and around here they are always AR's.  After everything I heard, and the one thing I always hear is Colt and D.P.M.S. are the best.  The instructor continued by saying that Bushmaster NEVER EVER complete a tactical course without breaking downhould
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Dam looks like my thread is still breathing fire.   I had no idea it would get a response like this.... Thanks for all the input guys!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top