User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Couple of comments from a multiple mechanical watch owner, Rolex included --

If you think a Rolex is a waste because a Timex/Casio/etc. can keep time, remember a Jennings pistol can fire too.  And an AK for that matter can too.  Doesn't mean everyone will do it.  Many prefer not to.

That being said, Rolex's are not the nicest, the fanciest, the most reliable, or otherwise most notable except in prestige points.  There are fine watches out there that can outdo the rolex in any or all categories.  Some (like Oris), come very close to the quality and do it cheaper, and some (Breguet, Vacheron, etc.) exceed it for more $, and some (Chronoswiss) simply do it differently and often in a very pleasing way.

I highly recommend http://www.timezone.com -- it's a watch forum with the attendance and personalities of AR15.com and is a blast if you're considering the mechanical watch angle.

Guns, watches, fine automobiles, cameras, RC modelling, among other hobbies cross over heavily -- we seem to be attracted to BEAUTIFUL, MECHANICAL, FUNCTIONAL things.  Not knickknacks, not tools, but items that uniquely and gracefully encompass all three of the above.  If you love guns for this reason, learn about watches, you won't regret it.  Soon, you won't see how life is possible without a sapphire crystal.  A tourbilion will make your knees weak.  A grand complication will make you salivate.  You've been warned.

-Dan
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell it and get a luminox model 930 and an ar or two.

oz
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That'd be a tough one.  Id just be thinking about the fact that you always lose when you sell used stuff.  Why not keep it, be cool, and eventually gather the money for more ARs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife gave me a SS Submariner when we got engaged.  She wanted me to pick the Gold and Stainless, but I was talked out of it because it is so easy to scratch.  I've never taken the watch off in 12 years except to repair it or when working in electrical pannels.  I used tear up a timex or sako once a year.  It also doesn't look expensive like some watches do.  It went to Rolex in Dallas, New York and Europe without me being happy with the timing.  At some point I took it to a jewler in auburn alabama who set it a few seconds/month fast, as it slows down with ago.  Ever since then I've been happy.

I'd rather own a rolex than yet another gun- but I'd take the gun first.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My favorite uncle was a watchmaker and jeweler. The man was amazing. He could take a container full of incredibly tiny parts and put them together and have a well running time piece. I watched him for days on end and was always amazed.

When people brought in a Rolex I thought it was a really beautiful piece, but they could never be made to keep good time. He had a machine that ran a strip kind of like an EKG. He could take a Bulova or Seiko or Pulsar or even a Timex and adjust it so it was within a second a day of perfect. Of all the Rolex watches I saw the best would only do around 5 seconds a day. I asked about it and he said it was an overpriced status symbol that failed to deliver on anything but the flash and snoot.

I'll take the AR and keep my Citizens, Casios, and Timexes. They may not be as flashy or earn me any snoot points but they do the job better and leave me lots more money for toys.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey catch223, why do you make judgements about me without ever even meeting me.  I don't have a cool/expensive car, or a motorcycle, or a boat,  or a lot of other things, and I don't gamble.  I like my watches that work all the time, I can't seem to keep a Timex or Swiss Army or anyhing else for a month without it breaking.  I DO own a lot of guns, including Class 3, and I love everyone of them.  But if they are not reliable..out they go.  I suggest you lay off the caffiene, get a hobby to keep you busy, and leave me alone.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey catch223, why do you make judgements about me without ever even meeting me.  I don't have a cool/expensive car, or a motorcycle, or a boat,  or a lot of other things, and I don't gamble.  I like my watches that work all the time, I can't seem to keep a Timex or Swiss Army or anyhing else for a month without it breaking.  I DO own a lot of guns, including Class 3, and I love everyone of them.  But if they are not reliable..out they go.  I suggest you lay off the caffiene, get a hobby to keep you busy, and leave me alone.
View Quote

Mr. Greco:

As you can see by my quick response, I DO have a hobby... It just happens to be reading this discussion board.  I assure you that I in no way passed any JUDGEMENT on you with my post.  All I said was that it would seem to me that you don't often have to scrap and save your pennies to put together an AR like many of the people on the board do.  Hence, It may be a little easier for you to say, "keep your Rolex" because YOU ALREADY HAVE THREE of them AND six ARs AND a class III AND you've apparently been to every place I've ever heard of in a James Bond movie.  You're obviously very successful, and you can't be blamed for having a point of view that reflects that.  I on the other hand, am not and my opions differ respectively.  I assure you I meant no offense, and I apologize for any disturbance I have caused.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Mr. Catch223...thank you for your post.  I understand where you are coming from.  Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury these days of buying anything I want.  I have traded stuff off, done odd jobs on the side, sold some of my favorite gear, and even picked up pop bottles to finance my bad habits.  As a matter of fact, I'm unemployed right now, and my wife reminds me of it every day.  I was a little lucky in my younger days that I had an opportunity to get to some of those places.  Not now.  I know you are a well meaning person because you have posted some very helpful information for me and others. Perhaps I am too quick to shoot from the hip myself.  I bought most of my hobby stuff back when it was more affordable.  I have only bought one upper in the last year, and no lowers in  nearly 10.  Since I adopted 2 Korean children, I don't have much to spare.  Take care, and keep on doin' the AR thing.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah what fun it is to have a loving wife who so helpfully reminds you of things!  I have a lot of respect for you for adopting the Korean children.  I know that takes some doing.

Anyway, now that this thread is extremely off topic....

I guess what it comes down to is a person's own unique idea of what's valuable in life.  I'm just thankful for a wife and a place to live...  So, I suppose whether you keep a watch or get a gun depends on whether you'd rather have a 50 year old gun or a 50 year old watch someday (and all the days in between!)

-Catch
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top