User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
To be honest, I feel no real difference between 28 or 30.  One is no more difficult to insert than the other.  I suppose if my mind was on other things and the adrenaline was high, a very small amount of increased resistance might become a large problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Who wants an odd number of rounds in the mag, that's like calling tails in a coin flip, it's just not right.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's hope someone introduces a 32-round magazine so everyone will be comfortable loading 30 rounds into their magazines.

Then there will just be another debate on whether to load 32, 31, or 30 rounds.

I've seen too many dropped mags to load 30; so I download.

PMAGs and HK mags were designed for 30 rounds without the usual problems.

I load 28, but so far today 2 or 3 people have called me ignorant for advocating the downloading of magazines without combat experience
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does this debate go past "Personal Preference"?

Some have never encountered a problem with loading 30 while others (including me) have seen issues enough times to load only 28/29 rounds.

This argument ranks right up there with "Did Jesus own the clothes he wore"?
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree. I like removing variables. I don't like surprises.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I totally agree. I like removing variables. I don't like surprises.

Me too. that's why I typically load to 29. It's only 1 less round and adds lots of ease and function. (IMO)
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 30s with my dept issued AR.
Normally they are all loaded with 28 rounds each.
If we are going visiting and we expect problems,
I top the magazines off.

Mostly a case of what works for me.................
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Why don't manufacturers make a 32 round .223 magazine so people can download
them to 30.

I call dibs on the royalties.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
For those of us that download, can we all agree that the same benefits(regarding function) can be acheived by downloading 1 or 2 rounds? I understand the training issue etc but loading to 29 from a function standpoint is just as good as loading to 28, right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I top the magazines off.

I have a question about that method.  

If the purpose of down loading the mags is to facilitate better tactical reloads...why would you top off when expecting problems?  I would think either the opposite approach would make more sense or you would just always down load to 28.  Wouldn't it be more common to have a tactical reload during a mission vs. shooting at the range?

I am not questioning your methods...I am curious.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I top the magazines off.

I have a question about that method.  

If the purpose of down loading the mags is to facilitate better tactical reloads...why would you top off when expecting problems?  I would think either the opposite approach would make more sense or you would just always down load to 28.  Wouldn't it be more common to have a tactical reload during a mission vs. shooting at the range?

I am not questioning your methods...I am curious.

NO, tactical reloads are done mostly at the range, not in combat.  In combat, military or LE, you know it is time to reload when it is empty.  A tactical reload is only done during a lull in the action and from behind cover.

Just to be sure we have the terminology straight.  There are 2 basic combat magazine reloads:

1.  Tactical reload/tactical exchange.  This reload is performed after the shooter has expended an unknown number of rounds and wishes to top off the weapon.  During a lull in the action and/or from behind cover, the shooter will remove the partial magazine and replace it with a full magazine.  This is performed with a closed bolt.  

2.  Emergency reload.  This reload is performed when the shooter has expended all rounds in a magazine and the weapon is empty and hopefully the slide is locked to the rear.  The shooter then replaces the magazine, from behind cover if possible, releases the slide-stop mechanism and returns to the fight.

Remember that you will fight the way you train.  If you load a magazine, chamber a round, and then unload the magazine to check whether you can see a round on the right side or left side, then that is what you are going to  do in combat.

After 3 pages of this you can tell there is not a final answer.  

Airborne
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
When are they going to make stripper clips that hold 9.33 rounds?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top