Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.  You lose upper body strength.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I read on the internet really bad stuff happens when you dont have an H-Bar

Uhh you end up losing all your shooting skills because you don't like practicing with a boat anchor and it's no fun taking it to class?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I swear to GOD!

If most of the people on this site had to go to a BOOT CAMP of some sort.  The D.I.s would quit due to all the whining.

"I want a Hogue Grip on my weapon, Sir"

"My barrel is too heavy, Sir"

"My barrel is too light, Sir"

"I need a 1:87 twist barrel with fluting cuz I brought my own special ammo, Sir"

HOMOS!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I swear to GOD!

If most of the people on this site had to go to a BOOT CAMP of some sort.  The D.I.s would quit due to all the whining.

Lighten Up Francis Mark, I was kidding (notice the rather beat up smiley).

Besides when I was in the service my M16A1 was rather light!

So drop and give me 87 Pushups!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Could anyone have intentionally designed a WORSE profile for civilians? .

It wasn't designed for civilians.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]

LOL ...was just looking at my 7.62mm L1A1 barrel - it is smaller in diameter than any of my AR15 5.56mm barrels which include A2 gov't profile, M4 profile and HBAR. Kinda like a big noodle...
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I swear to GOD!

"I want a Hogue Grip on my weapon, Sir"

"My barrel is too heavy, Sir"

"My barrel is too light, Sir"

"I need a 1:87 twist barrel with fluting cuz I brought my own special ammo, Sir"

HOMOS!

Yep a little down and dirty Infantry training will quickly dispell the "my rifle has a blemish/ugly barrel/cosmetic flaw/I don't like it cuz it's not bling "  tendencies.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody needs to tell ARFcom that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]

For the last two years I've had a 16" 1/7 twist pencil barrel lightweight flattop carbine project on hold because I can't find a decent barrel. I'm not chopping up my Colt to get it either.

Once you've held a rifle properly configured for the 5.56 round you'll be amazed how light it feels and how well it balances. There is NOTHING on the market like it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
For the last two years I've had a 16" 1/7 twist pencil barrel lightweight flattop carbine project on hold because I can't find a decent barrel. I'm not chopping up my Colt to get it either.

Once you've held a rifle properly configured for the 5.56 round you'll be amazed how light it feels and how well it balances. There is NOTHING on the market like it.

You can get a 6520 for a little over 400 shipped in the EE, then sell the upper and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am.  I'm buying two 6520s and changing out one with a Colt flattop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks!  That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing a swap like that.

My carbine project will finally get moving again. Maybe I'll do two.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish someone would address impact of the front sight base (FSB) on barrel thickness here because it's my main issue.  AFAIK there's only two sizes of FSB.  The standard that fits the 0.75" M4, govt. and HBARs, and one that fits the pencil barrels (something like 0.64" IIRC).  Which means that you can't come up with a normally tapered barrel that's in between the pencil and M4 diameters, because you have to bulge at the FSB.  And you can't get "F" type FSBs for pencil barrels.  

No one else is bothered by this?

What is the specific complaint?   I don't want a barrel inbetween pencil and M4 - pencil works fine.   Is the lack of an "F" type feed into the front sight pin height issue?   If so, my BM SLW works just fine with a Troy BUIS.

WTH is an "F" type feed?
Yes my front pin sticks up too high, with my LaRue BUIS on my 16" pencil barrel.  If someone would make a (say) 0.68" "F" quality FSB, you could get barrels with most or all of the strength of the M4, with weight less than the govt. but without the goofy profile.  

Does the lack of an "F type"  feed (become part of) into the problem?

Bushmaster SLW 16", Troy BUIS, no problem.   Notice the front pin is recessed

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Weapons/Rifles009Medium.jpg

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Weapons/Rifles008Medium.jpg

Wow, that's a really nice set up.

If you don't mind my asking, why didn;t you opt for a mid length?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks!  That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing a swap like that.

My carbine project will finally get moving again. Maybe I'll do two.

The way I figure it, I'm going to be changing the handguards out for a FF rail, which requires essentially removing the barrel anyway.  Might as well swap out the uppers while I'm at it.

If I wind up having issues with the front sight and a BUIS, I'll change out the FSB for a low-profile, put a 9.0 in place of the 7.0, and use a Troy flipup front sight.  I actually prefer the unobstructed sight picture anyway.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best response I have read all day!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe one of the points of my post was that Uncle Sam bought the M4 because he needs it, and it wasn't designed for Uncle Elmo.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am.  I'm buying two 6520s and changing out one with a Colt flattop.

This is exactly what I did and the rifle handles great. I took my Eotech off of the M4 with rail and put it on the 6520 Flattop and the difference in balance is considerable. I realize the actual weight difference is not much but I think becuase it is out in front of the FSB ont he M4 is feels magnified.

The truth is no matter which way I look at it that even if I ever did have to use my carbine for defense it surely would not be beyond 100 yards. For starters, if my barrel is so heated up that I am losing accuracy I am probably not making precision shots. In addition any affects from heat on the pencil barrel are not going to prevent me from making aimed body shots at 100 yards. Farther than that I am likely in avoidance mode.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Wow, that's a really nice set up.

If you don't mind my asking, why didn;t you opt for a mid length?

I prefer standard parts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Niether was the AR15/M16 for that matter.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont really like the M4 profile eather... BUT... for my first build I need a cheap barrel... so whoever has one and really hates it I will buy it for real cheap!!
Jim
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I lik'em, something about the cuts reminds me of the abrams M1A1 barrel

That being said I own an 6721 Hbar, superlight bitches
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote from luckypunk

I lik'em, something about the cuts reminds me of the abrams M1A1 barrel

Hoohah... you da man...

And WTF is with the term "pencil" barrel. it's a standard profile vs. M4 profile vs. HBAR profile.I've never read in any Technical Manual describing the Nomenclature "Pencil" barrel

I swear we have this debate once a month over barrel profiles. I wear a watch that weighs more then some of your rifles..... Guess I'm old school by running an HBAR for the past 11 years, don't know how guys carried M4's with 203's under them with out passing out from the weight.....and god forbid the poor bastard carrying the "Pig" and a loader on an M1A1 Abrams loads a 53.2 lb heat round into the chamber every 5 seconds.

Damn soft bitches...........
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I happen to like the M4 profile. I like the notched cut in the barrel. I also like the fact that my rig weighs under 7lbs. so it won't feel like such a pig after I add a scope, rail system, forward grip, and possibly a tac light.

I guess that is why I bought my Bushmaster 16" M4A3 Carbine. Because I like it, and that is what I wanted. Who cares who it was designed for, or if I need to have it. If that was the case, then over 50% of us wouldn't even have an AR to start with.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Stupid question but how do I tell what kind of barrel i have, M4 vs ?? . I want to order a upper reciver from GlobalTactical.Com but I would like to know which barrel i have. Thanks
Brian
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
M4 barrels have a stepdown cut into them in front of the front sight base.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I LIKE my m4 barrel.  No complaints.  

I'm just waiting 'til they'll let me have one of them nifty little grenade launcher thingamajigs fer it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
M4 barrels have a stepdown cut into them in front of the front sight base.

Thinner under the handguards too right?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Regular "pencil" profile under the HGs: .675" to .600"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe I'm odd, but I like the looks of the M4.

Since we have to have at least 16" of total length, the coutout makes the eye think it's shorter.
And, compared the to the heavy barrel Bushy I used to have, the M4 profile cools off much quicker at the range.
(Some will argue this, but I'm only stating my experience.)

All of that said, I bet a pencil-thin would be nice and light.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I would kill if Colt would make a pencil barreled, mid length gun....ala a mid length 6520.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I would kill if Colt would make a pencil barreled, mid length gun....ala a mid length 6520.

If you want the mid-length for gas-tube reasons you're out of luck.  If you just prefer the barrel to be better covered, you can do a cut-down FSB and a DD 9.0 like I'm doing.  I'm going to top it with a Troy flipup front BUIS, but they also make a fixed version.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]
My Colt M4 is very accurate and consistant, thats what I enjoy the most out of it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#36]
203's are overrated, I hardly ever get a chance to shoot mine over here.

But no, it's not that great a barrel and I plan on getting something else when I finally do my Ar build. "No, kids, this one is better than what Daddy carried in Iraq, it's what he would have had if all our gear wasn't bought on low bid by desk monkeys."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Not a fan of the M203, not all that accurate now if we could get M79s, that was a great grenadiers weapon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't really care either way about the m4 profile.  I have no use for it, and if I have unlmited funds and needed a barrel I would pass on one and go straight to ABS and get a barrel from them.  However, since funds are not unlimited, I will most likely get a barrel of the EE, and if someone here hates the m4 profile and wants to ditch their barrel cheap, I can find a home for it.  In the end, they all do the same thing:  Expel bullets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I like full heavy baeerls.  Don't really know wyh, but I do.  

My main rifle is a 16"  H bar Bushmaster.  I don't know if it is more accurate or not, but I like the rifle.

I have a DPMS A2 that I stuck a M4 proflie barrel on for my wife and to use as a loaner gun.  It shoots fine, it's just lighter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I really don’t like the M4 profile for the reasons already cited. If that’s what people want I don’t have any problem with it, but they ain’t for me.

I don’t like the heavy barrels either. The way I figure it, the AR-15 is intended to be a light rifle. With some of the HBARs plus loaded magazine and accessories you are getting into the FAL weight category. But again, that’s me.

Everyone and their kid sister markets an m-4 profile barrel these days. It seems to me that some of these companies would be better served by coming out with some different stuff.

For example…

18” and 20” standard profile (pencil) barrels.
16” mid gas standard profile (pencil) barrels.
16” mid gas A2 profile barrels with a fluted front.
18” A2 profile barrels.

Middle weight barrels about 0.65”-.068” in 16” mid, 18” and 20” length.

Someone would obviously have to market new gas blocks and front sight bases for these rifles. But how hard can they be to make anyway?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Right now, the pencil barrel with the .750 FSB bulge makes sense, because all the aftermarket flip sites are made for the .750 bulge.

I don't mind the bulge, given the opportunites it presents.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm probably not gonna have a lot of agreement on this, but here goes. I dislike M4 barrels. I own one, and have owned several more, but I have come to the conclusion that it is inferior.

Could anyone have intentionally designed a WORSE profile for civilians? Uncle Sam likes M4 barrels because he has cool shit like M203s to attach to the stepdown. Uncle Elmo rarely has an M203. There is no other reason for the profile (that I can see).

The M4 profile is backwards. It is heavier out front, which is bad for accuracy. Some say that the extra front weight on the M4 and the M16A2 barrels is for balance. I don't need that weight for balance--my flashlight already weighs 11 oz. With the stepdown, the exposed part of the barrel is no stronger than the A1 profile, so that is a moot point. Basically you have a pencil barrel in all respects but weight--the stepdown compromises strength anyway.

If I want a lightweight upper and don't need pinpoint accuracy, I will skip right to the superlight. Sure its only .3 pounds lighter (16" barrels) but thats .3 pounds that I don't want or need, and the M4 barrel spends a lot more time chucked up in the lathe--and time (plus tool wear) is money.

If I want midweight, I'll get a barrel that is .760 or so behind the gas system and .750 in front. Thats a good, straight profile. A little heavier than that is the MRP profile, which works pretty well for me. Its a little heavy, but for a GP gun thats OK.

If I want heavy....well, I don't want heavy, except on a barrel like a Noveske SS barrel, where the weight keeps the throat from burning up. Thats a precision gun anyway.

Cliff notes:
The M4 barrel doesn't do anything that the A1 profile doesn't, except mount an M203 and look cool. I wish that A1 barrels were more common.

I agree.

One reason being... M4 is dated... Nearly all of the infantry weapons are now railed...  That being said you can use a M203 that mounts to the rail isntead of the barrel...  Better for accuracy and modularity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I like my M4 step-down barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Imitation is much easier than innovation.  

For every one person that wants something innovative, practical and useful there are ten that want what everyone else has--practical, useful, or not.  The M4 profile is the classic example.  

I like my heavy stainless BBL on my RRA upper but I wouldn't mind if they came out with a mid-weight to save a few ounces.  Not that I really care, I'm a Benchrest Ranger anyway
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I would prefer a finned Barrel like on the Thompson SMG.
Increased surface areas results in faster cooling and heat dissipation!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#46]
My M4 profile barrel came with the gun. For it's intended purpose it is accurate for me. I see no need to replace it.

My 20" is an HBAR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I think it's just fine.  Nothing wrong with it.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't really dislike them, I just don't have any need for the M4 profile. I like the light weights.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Well working on an LW project with Noveske, we got the first 2 ever light carbine barrels.  They are heavy in all the right places, but not too heavy.  No M4 step, nice taper.  In short I think it is an awesome profile.  I look forward to the chrome lined ones as well.

Here is a pic of the barrel.  Combat_jack, it sounds like what you describe as a great barrel.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well working on an LW project with Noveske, we got the first 2 ever light carbine barrels.  They are heavy in all the right places, but not too heavy.  No M4 step, nice taper.  In short I think it is an awesome profile.  I look forward to the chrome lined ones as well.

Here is a pic of the barrel.  Combat_jack, it sounds like what you describe as a great barrel.  

img101.imageshack.us/img101/2112/noveske1cl.jpg

I have a woody now!

I'm waiting on the chrome barrels to get my first Noveske barrel. That looks like a good contour.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top