BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure they were A3?  There weren't all that many made and most went to special ops units prior to the M4 coming into vogue.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have alot of respect for 12B's (now 21B's) That is a cool fact on the A3, I will have to remember that. Thanks for the info.

in the gulf i had a m249 for my personal weapon.  our unit got one per squad just before sadaam invaded kuwait... now that was a great weapon!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
as far as the egress kit, its why i said "w/ defender d ring" i didn't use the egress d-ring, as i already had the defender d-ring prior to getting the kit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you sure they were A3?  There weren't all that many made and most went to special ops units prior to the M4 coming into vogue.

They were A3's.  my unit was the 54th Combat Engineers in Wildflecken.  We got the A3's shortly after coming back from the Gulf War.  I am sure there are other 12 Bravo's on here that can attest that we (the 54th) had A3's.

Before Iraq, we A2's with A3 handgueards.  During Reforger I ran into a lot of grunt units that had A3's while we still had our A2's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
What is an A3 handguard?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were A3's.  my unit was the 54th Combat Engineers in Wildflecken.  We got the A3's shortly after coming back from the Gulf War.  I am sure there are other 12 Bravo's on here that can attest that we (the 54th) had A3's.

Before Iraq, we A2's with A3 handgueards.  During Reforger I ran into a lot of grunt units that had A3's while we still had our A2's.

Now the A3 is a semi/full auto M16 with a flat top, the handguards dont matter. The A4 is a semi/3 round burst flat top.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yea, gun was smoking hot.  I didnt have a cleaning rod to knock it out, so like a redneck, I knocked it out with a CB antenna.

Shoot a lot of Wolf? Also, clean the chamber recently?

I don't know how hot you got the gun; but when the AR fires pressure and heat stick the brass against the walls of the chamber sealing it there. As the brass cools it shrinks away from the chamber walls. However, as the gun gets hot, it takes longer for the brass to shrink away from the walls of the chamber.

However, you shouldn't see that type of issue from just heat alone. Something else would have to be marginal. I would clean the chamber well and take a look at it. I'd specifically look for roughness, machine marks or chrome flaking off. If all of those look good, I would write it off as a round that was loaded a little hot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The original A3, in post Gulf War time frame was a fixed carrying handle that was auto.  The CBs had the equivalent of a A3, but it had a weird M16A2E1 designation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The original A3, in post Gulf War time frame was a fixed carrying handle that was auto.  The CBs had the equivalent of a A3, but it had a weird M16A2E1 designation.

I could see that. The first M4's were fixed carry handles as well IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]

What upgrades to improve AR reliability?

I'm amazed. Here we are, all the way on page three of this thread, and no one has posted the obligatory "Buy a Colt" wisdom.   What is this site coming to?

(For the record, this is just an observation, not a recommendation...)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.  The A3 I had also had a fixed carry handle.  I never saw a flat top till I saw one on the internet one day.  The difference between an A2 and A3 in my day is the A2 had 3 round burst and the A3 were full auto.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.  The A3 I had also had a fixed carry handle.  I never saw a flat top till I saw one on the internet one day.  The difference between an A2 and A3 in my day is the A2 had 3 round burst and the A3 were full auto.

Thats pretty much what I wrote up there, except I think now days they are flat topped, the ones that are still around that is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is an A3 handguard?

the triangle ones were A2 handguards

the round ones were A3 with holes on the top and bottom and ribbing on the side.  basically the ones that come standard now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats pretty much what I wrote up there, except I think now days they are flat topped, the ones that are still around that is.

my bad.. i did not see that post
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Triangle handguards are A1's and round ones are A2's or A3's (A3's now days have rail systems on them I believe, like the A4's do but that might not be a standard thing as my first M4 had plastic handguards and now days you only see rails on them) I have only seen A3's in the -10 that is as far as my knowledge of them goes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Triangle handguards are A1's and round ones are A2's or A3's (A3's now days have rail systems on them I believe, like the A4's do but that might not be a standard thing as my first M4 had plastic handguards and now days you only see rails on them)

I think you are mistaken.  I think the first A2's had triangle handguards (maybe the later ones had round ones?).  Pre Gulf War, everyone in my unit had A2's.. but some of us had round handguards and some of us had triangle ones.  I am looking at my old pictures now (oh the memories).

Not only did I serve during the 4 day training exercise the world called The Gulf War... I also served tours in the Red Light district of both Frankfurt and Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont you love how fast you get ripped apart by people on this site if you are wrong? I totaly believe you had A3's BTW. I remember when I was in Camp Pendleton in the early 90's there was a unit there that had all A3's I wanted one soooo bad just to say I had touched one I cant remember the unit but I think they were out of Horno, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Got to agree. The M16 and M16A1 was triangle. The M16A2's was round. But anyhow thanks for the  info on A3's. I didn't know some of that stuff. I got out in 1989. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Triangle handguards are A1's and round ones are A2's or A3's (A3's now days have rail systems on them I believe, like the A4's do but that might not be a standard thing as my first M4 had plastic handguards and now days you only see rails on them)

I think you are mistaken.  I think the first A2's had triangle handguards (maybe the later ones had round ones?).  Pre Gulf War, everyone in my unit had A2's.. but some of us had round handguards and some of us had triangle ones.  I am looking at my old pictures now (oh the memories).

Not only did I serve during the 4 day training exercise the world called The Gulf War... I also served tours in the Red Light district of both Frankfurt and Amsterdam.

I know there were some retrofit A2's floating around, hell there still is today, but one of the main things to come out with the A2 was the round handguards. This last rotation in Iraq we were getting refabed A2's that had originaly been A1's. No reenforcement on the pivot pin holes, no extra meat around the receiver extention, a pressed in indent that had a restamp BURST over it and remanufacture stampings on the opposite side of the magwell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#22]
well i guess that means we had a lot of A2's with A1 handguards.... hell we did not know the difference and did not make a difference to us.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is my new Bushmaster with all the goodies... I have not even fired her yet.  I joined this site shortly after I got my Bushmaster.  Set up with Surefire rails, Surefire scout light, cheap laser, ARMS rear flip up sight, tactical sling, graphite forward grip, and EOTech 512.
http://www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/m4-1.JPG

My PTR-91
http://www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/ptr-91.JPG

My Romanian AK that I love that everyone is hatin on.  Lotsa haters on this site http://www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/ak.JPG
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What upgrades to improve AR reliability?  

i have found these step very useful in making the AR more reliable:

go to home depot, buy some off the shelf work gloves, put gloves on, pick up AR, chuck AR in nearest garbage bin, go to local gun store and pick yourself up a Romanian made AK and call it an AR.

Um.....chuck in my garbage can ..................then I'll chuck you a romanian.....DEAL???!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#25]
A little off topic but here is my Romanian AK, and my M4. I aint no hater

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A little off topic but here is my Romanian AK, and my M4. I aint no hater href=i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/AKMGlock.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/rom11copy.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/DSCF2394.jpg

nice... your ak looks very pretty!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, just a cheap old romanian SAR1. I added the wood and did a little work to it, reshape and refinish it, but thats about it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Thanks, just a cheap old romanian SAR1. I added the wood and did a little work to it, reshape and refinish it, but thats about it.

I was going to re-finsh the wood too but I like the rough look on my AK.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Kimber, I didnt mean to hijack your thread. I do think you just got a bad batch of rounds.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]
going off topic and hijacking a thread?  i don't think that ever happened on a messagboard before.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Dont worry about the hijack. I like to read all the post no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Here is my new Bushmaster with all the goodies... I have not even fired her yet.  I joined this site shortly after I got my Bushmaster.  Set up with Surefire rails, Surefire scout light, cheap laser, ARMS rear flip up sight, tactical sling, graphite forward grip, and EOTech 512.
www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/m4-1.JPG

My PTR-91
www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/ptr-91.JPG

My Romanian AK that I love that everyone is hatin on.  Lotsa haters on this site
www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/ak.JPG

Chuck the cheapo Romanian and get yourself a real AK...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Chuck the cheapo Romanian and get yourself a real AK...

ok... also I only recommend 2 bottles of HATERADE max per day.  You sound like you are on your 4th or 5th bottle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I agree, there is nothing wrong with a Romanian AK. My friend has an Arsenal AK and other than the trigger there is no difference in the two I think.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have a bushy M4 that I have never had problems with.  A few K rounds with no problems.  I was shooting yesterday and had a stuck case.  The extractor ripped off a piece of the rim, but didnt pull the empty case out.  It this just a freak thing, or should I upgrade my extractor.  Ammo was Q3131A.

That is either an ammo failure or a cleaning failure...

To prevent future issues, just give your chamber a good scrubbing...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top