Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
height=8
Quoted:
I don't feel I overpaid ($310) for this upper.  How much would a new (or nearly new) 20" chrome lined government profile Colt barrel cost?  How about a nearly new complete Colt upper?  Keep in mind these might be old and have handling marks... but they are still super high quality parts that will look awesome refinished.  Mine looks just like the one in the picture.
I also don't feel Ohio Ord was being purposefully misleading.  I'm sure they didn't refinish these to fool anyone... from what mine looks like, a great deal of care was taking in the refinish process... as someone else suggested, this probably was an armory job.  I have a friend with an FFL (my BEST friend obviously) who does business with OOW... they are a reputable company which is why I bought from them.

If $310 is way too much, just tell me where to get one for less in this good of shape (and for something 35 + years old I think it's in great shape).  I've heard the Gunny Surplus ones are in far worse shape for $295.  The picture they have online looks good but from what I heard, that's not what you get.  I DO like the original finish (mainly because I wouldn't have to strip off the old finish).

Speaking of finish... Greg, how are you getting the black finish off without removing the anodizing??  I suspect media blasting will take these down to bare aluminum and then I'd need to get it re-anodized anyway.  I was originally going to send it to US but I might give duracoat a try instead provided I save the anodizing.

Scot

Hi, Scot!
Well, I found out that carb cleaner won't do it :)...The finsh seems tough enough that I'm going to try the Aluma-Hyde over the front pivot area, and then see if it can stand up to something tough and unforgiving, and then go ahead and re-do the upper (After taking off the RS,FA and DC). I'll have to let you know what happens; the paint should be in about Monday.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If $310 is way too much, just tell me where to get one for less in this good of shape (and for something 35 + years old I think it's in great shape).  I've heard the Gunny Surplus ones are in far worse shape for $295.  The picture they have online looks good but from what I heard, that's not what you get.  I DO like the original finish (mainly because I wouldn't have to strip off the old finish).

These uppers can be had frequently for $225 to $250 on the aftermarket.

$310 is what you should be paying for an original finish used upper.

Being "old" is not an excuse for refinish
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I sure wish I bought more than just one from CDNN when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a reply from OOW on the M16A1 uppers that do not meet the ad description.

Corey,

We received your e-mail about the AR-15 Uppers. I had a man inspect 30 pcs. and some were “touch up” painted in spots and some were not. There is very minor, but obvious wear from storage and handling on the parkerized parts (front sight, barrel) but indeed some touch up on a quantity of them. We had purchased two lots of these, and apparently the first lot was what we based the ad on, the second was supposed to be identical, but it seems that there is some slight variation. The quality of the upper in terms of usability is top notch, but we will amend our ad to reflect the current state of these parts. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we in no way intended to misrepresent our products or mislead anyone as that is not how we do business here. Feel free to post this on AR-15.com. I welcome any questions or feedback.

Thank you,

Bob Conroy

V.P.

Ohio Ordnance Works, Inc.

[email protected]

(P) 440.285.3481

(F) 440.286.8571

www.ohioordnanceworks.com

Corey
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's a reply from OOW on the M16A1 uppers that do not meet the ad description.

Corey,

We received your e-mail about the AR-15 Uppers. I had a man inspect 30 pcs. and some were “touch up” painted in spots and some were not. There is very minor, but obvious wear from storage and handling on the parkerized parts (front sight, barrel) but indeed some touch up on a quantity of them. We had purchased two lots of these, and apparently the first lot was what we based the ad on, the second was supposed to be identical, but it seems that there is some slight variation. The quality of the upper in terms of usability is top notch, but we will amend our ad to reflect the current state of these parts. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we in no way intended to misrepresent our products or mislead anyone as that is not how we do business here. Feel free to post this on AR-15.com. I welcome any questions or feedback.

Thank you,

Bob Conroy

V.P.

Ohio Ordnance Works, Inc.

[email protected]

(P) 440.285.3481

(F) 440.286.8571

www.ohioordnanceworks.com

Corey

The uppers are not "touched up"

They are completely refinished, barrel and receiver.  Which means they were well used before they were refinished.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Waiting on an answer from fxntime.  who, where, on the A1 upper?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I am really wanting one of these but now I might have changed my mind.  I was just hoping to buy a upper and a NDS lower.  Presto A1. Try getting some MEK and get the paint off.  Methyl Ethyl Keytone.  Just wear gloves and try not to sniff it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They are completely refinished, barrel and receiver.  Which means they were well used before they were refinished.

Mr Ryan, do you have some sort of personal vendetta again OOW?  Did they screw you over in the past?  It seems you take every opportunity to slam them.

Based on the upper I got from them, you are WRONG.  Mine has the upper and delta ring refinished... all other parts are original finish and in as good of shape as the CDNN upper I bought a couple of years ago (with the exception of a 1/2" crack in one handguard).  It has not been "well used" as you said and then refinished to hide the wear... the INSIDE of the receiver wasn't refinished... and mine looks MINT inside... as does the barrel.  I gave an honest review of what I purchased... did you buy one and are you commenting first hand or are you just guessing???

Scot
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered one from Ohio, and it didn't come as advertised.  It was supose to be new and I definately got a used one.  I didn't want a refinished so I am glad they didn't send a refinished one as a New one.

It took me some time but I did get a refund and they sent a "call Tag" so I didn't have to pay return shipping.

I would have kept the used one, but their used price was too high for me to accept it.  If they would have sold it about $50 lower I would have taken that upper.

Anything refinished isn't new in my mind.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my OOW upper and started a new thread to discuss "condition vs as advertised" since this thread was about CDNN.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=359584
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mr Ryan, do you have some sort of personal vendetta again OOW?  Did they screw you over in the past?  It seems you take every opportunity to slam them.

Based on the upper I got from them, you are WRONG.  Mine has the upper and delta ring refinished... all other parts are original finish and in as good of shape as the CDNN upper I bought a couple of years ago (with the exception of a 1/2" crack in one handguard).  It has not been "well used" as you said and then refinished to hide the wear... the INSIDE of the receiver wasn't refinished... and mine looks MINT inside... as does the barrel.  I gave an honest review of what I purchased... did you buy one and are you commenting first hand or are you just guessing???

Scot

One thread of me criticizing them equals every opportunity?  The uppers are not as advertised and now I'm the bad guy.

Any USGI upper that is refinished was well used before being refinished.  If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been refinished.

The SAK barrel on page two that another member posted has been refinished.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Based on the upper I got from them, you are WRONG.  

Hardly

Mine has the upper and delta ring refinished...

Which is not the condition they were described

It has not been "well used" as you said and then refinished to hide the wear...

Yes it has.  If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been refinished.

the INSIDE of the receiver wasn't refinished... and mine looks MINT inside...

That because its been refinished and has a fresh coat of SFL inside of it.

as does the barrel.

Given your other comments, I can't take this as credible.  However, if the barrel is truly original finish, then its because its not original to the upper.  Which also goes against OOW's description.

are you commenting first hand or are you just guessing???

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top