AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about 20 shot groups with a hot barrel and a stock trigger? The bullseye and the two lower squares were my POA. Top group is BVAC 69gr hollowpoints, my DPMS 18" barrels favorite factory load so far

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/Metzger888/2011-10-15_10-29-06_149.jpg

That's good shooting.

Most all of these rifles are capable of moa or better, the shooter is the limiting factor.

I know a local guy that shot over a hundred three shoot groups on fresh paper so he could have a few photo's of his groups

Thanks. Having a 3-9X scope helps.  With irons I would be shooting 4-5 moa at best. My benchrest rifle

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
at 100 yards I expect 1/2 MOA or less out of my stag model 6 upper with the crappy bulk 55 gr federal stuff.

my expectations grow in size as the target increases it's distance from me. at 300 yards i'm happy if i'm keeping all the holes within 3 inches of eachother on that same bulk ammo... with nice match grade ammo i expect just a little over 1 MOA when i'm shooting well and there's no wind at that disance

Please tell me this is not serious.

must be using the Minute of Asshole scale.

I just read that post like 5x to see if I was missing something.  Must be the guy's brother from my original post!

I would love to see some evidence of this. I mainly shoot 300yds with a variety of handloads that I have been working on for years, if someone was to show up at my range and shoot like that I would give up and move on to some other hobbie.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
at 100 yards I expect 1/2 MOA or less out of my stag model 6 upper with the crappy bulk 55 gr federal stuff.

my expectations grow in size as the target increases it's distance from me. at 300 yards i'm happy if i'm keeping all the holes within 3 inches of eachother on that same bulk ammo... with nice match grade ammo i expect just a little over 1 MOA when i'm shooting well and there's no wind at that disance

Please tell me this is not serious.

must be using the Minute of Asshole scale.

I just read that post like 5x to see if I was missing something.  Must be the guy's brother from my original post!

I would love to see some evidence of this. I mainly shoot 300yds with a variety of handloads that I have been working on for years, if someone was to show up at my range and shoot like that I would give up and move on to some other hobbie.

To the guys' defense I've read a few reviews that at least partially substantiate those claims. I looked into it out of sheer curiosity. For three round groups 1/2 to 1MOA is pretty routine with most any factory ammo. With match ammo under 1/2MOA to 3/4MOA is the norm. It's a full-floated, 24" stainless bull barrel. The rifle weighs almost 10lbs bare.

That's a big bitch.

My Romanian PSL shoots ~1/2 MOA three round groups with the right ammo so long as the barrel stays relatively cool. That sounds like a fairy tail to a lot of people. Ten round groups are a completely different story
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot 1/2 MOA with my precision AR, so that's what I expect with match ammo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm curious when I see people post 1 pic of their best group and then say to ignore the flyer why don't they just shoot another group? If the gun is that good why can't it just do it again? I don't really consider taking the best of 4 out of 5 shots a true representation of a guns capabilities. Multiple 5 shots groups is a lot more realistic of what a gun shoots, not one single group excluding the rounds outside of the smaller group. Just my 2 cents.

-Cody

Because I'm not that good. I seem to pull one horribly every 5 shots. Might be the stock trigger, might just be my nerves.

I have just accepted it.

If someone asks how well I can shoot, I don't blame the gun for my mistake.  It's like blaming a car for oversteer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious when I see people post 1 pic of their best group and then say to ignore the flyer why don't they just shoot another group? If the gun is that good why can't it just do it again? I don't really consider taking the best of 4 out of 5 shots a true representation of a guns capabilities. Multiple 5 shots groups is a lot more realistic of what a gun shoots, not one single group excluding the rounds outside of the smaller group. Just my 2 cents.

-Cody

Because I'm not that good. I seem to pull one horribly every 5 shots. Might be the stock trigger, might just be my nerves.

I have just accepted it.

If someone asks how well I can shoot, I don't blame the gun for my mistake.  It's like blaming a car for oversteer.

That's unfortunate. Five shots doesn't seem like that many to try to string together. If I had a rifle that shot dime sized groups and pulled 20% of my shots with, I'd resolve that issue, be it a new trigger or whatever I needed to do, but that's just me and to each his own.
Too bad we live so far apart. I'd like to trade rifles for a session at the range just to see.

-Cody
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I never claim that a five-shot group that measures .75" @ 100 yds. is anything other than half the required number of rounds on that target.

(Well, I may 'claim it' for purposes of a generic discussion, but I don't believe it tells me much.)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top