User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, just a senerio, shit has hit the fan and zombies are out & about.

You have enemies with bolt action rifles after you, all you have is your AR15.

How well do you think you'll fare against such attackers, counter ambush?

Possibly out gunned them with fire power?

Do you think you could be a good sniper with your current AR configuration?

I guess this could be worded better, but you get the idea.

TG

That is just silly, everyone knows that zombies lack the coordination to operate a bolt-action rifle or even aim worth a shit
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the Texas hill country, not much open area,but their is open space here and there.
The reason bolt action rifle mention, is for a accurate larger caliber rounds.

If, you moving along with say a small five men recon team, it is always good to have a heavy gunner.

No recon team, method still works with family members or friends etc.

All my ARs is 1/7, like using heavier bullet, do have one AR with 1/9, still good to go.

Im fixed to purchased a heavy barreled .308 bolt rifle, just in case.

But, all being said, the AR is a better choice, consider ones AO.

TG
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote goes with DM1975. Training, training, training! Luck is nice, but lady luck favors the prepared/trained. There are plenty of trained folks that can work the bolt fast enough to have a fresh round chambered before the rifle comes back down from the recoil. The average Joe will loose against the trained person that frequently practices and makes sure he keeps tuned up nearly every time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for DM1975 response.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
1)  Distance to BG with bolt gun?
2)  Terrain the BG is in?
3)  Terrain I am in?
4)  Circumstances when the fighting started?  IE: Who initiated the fight?  What am I doing when it started?  WHo has the "high ground"? etc.
5)  What kind of a bolt gun does the BG have and in what caliber?

Would I feel outgunned with an AR?  Probably not because I am confident in my ability to use it.  But there are way too many variables for me to say for sure.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
With modern machining, bolt guns are not necessarily more accurate than semi-automatics.
Like most scenerios, this leaves out a TON of variables.
I personally have no problem hitting steel plates (about 12"x12") at 300 yards offhand with irons, and I doubt I'd be engaging enemies beyond that point--especially with irons.

Skill is not factored into here. How many enemies are there? What are their positions relative to yours?

If you have 7 enemies with bolt-action rifles and the skill required to place their shots after you, lone-wolf with an AR-15, it would probably be a bad idea to engage them anyhow. You most likely have nothing to gain. Suppressive fire and retreat would most likely be the best option.

One can absolutely be an effective "sniper" with an AR.

With the AR, your main advantages are going to be maneuverability, rate of fire, and magazine capacity. Work with what you have, and don't do anything that will get you killed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (lateral and Diagonal movement are preferred.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Training and mindset are the keys.  I was trained as a fighter pilot and my mind set is to kill you from long range.  Your dead before you know it.  A trained rifle man, or sniper zombie would do the same.  There are internet pilots/riflemen and then there are pros.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that is a pretty cool job. Whenever I was out humpin my ass off in the field and I saw one of you guys or a helicopter I really started to question listening to my recruiter
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Alaskajetpilot, I have Two Honorable Discharges, been there done that, What would you do with your ar against a Foe with a bolt action? The Air Force Kissed there wife goodbye, drove to the flight line, dropped bombs,flew back, Popped in at the club for a couple with the guys, then went home to bbq some burgars and drink some more beer. Then they call  the Marines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Trained sniper with the right equipment---your dead before you see him.

Bunch of wannabes who don't know what they are doing---they should be dead before they even see you.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw 28 Weeks Later....
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
You'd be surpised at just how fast someone with a bolt gun can be on the follow up shot(s).

Yep, while stationed at Ft Sill I had a friend with a No4Mk2 who could just about match me & my M1A shot-for-shot on 50' smallbore rifle targets at 100 yards. It only took him 3 or 4 seconds to reload 2 5-round stripper clips, although outside of our contests he always reloaded every 5 rounds so he'd never have an empty mag. He must have went through a case of .303 every 2 weeks practicing with that thing, and it seems to have borne out for him.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Are you allowed to hide behind trees?  ;-)

Just don't confuse "cover" with "concealment."

Unless you are talking large, old growth hardwoods, trees only provide concealment.  You don't want to be behind a tree if I know you are there under a couple hundred yards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you guys seriously spend time thinking about these things?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do you guys seriously spend time thinking about these things?

You don't?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Let me make this clear before I get lumped into the SHTF zombie crowd for posting on here. I do not sit around thinking of such things. I use a rifle for a living and train accordingly. When I leave my present job I will continue to train for my own personal satisfaction. I do however feel the need to remind people that their dreams of these things are for the most part just that, dreams. One does not know what one will do unless they have been in that kind of situation. You can say all you want what you will do but until it comes down to the nut cuttin you just dont know for sure, no matter how close you have came to killing a man in the past. Most on here forget that there is some fundamental work to be learned and trained up on before going into any major asskick. I like to point out that flaw in their bad ass rambo dreams. No disrespect intended.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]
is it the zombie who's got the bolt action?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#20]
It's the Warrior, not the Weapon.

I have done long range work (1000 yards) with a Bolt gun and longer range (2400) yards with a semi auto. I have engaged 600 yard targets with a M16A2 and iron sights. It comes down to skill and training.

If I know you are out there, at long range I am not going to give you a shot. I will close until you are within the "comfort zone" of my weapon system and engage when I am sure the shot will finish the fight. As with most rifle systems you will know of my presence when the bullet slams into your body followed closely by the report of my rifle in the distance.

A bolt action rifle is NOT that slow. Depending on the throw of the bolt and the setup of the optics you may not even have to break your cheek weld to cycle the bolt. On my M40A1 I had to rock my cheek to the side to cycle, but if I was engaging multiple targets I could reaquire a cheekweld and firing position almost as fast as a semi auto can come out of recoil and reaquire the target.

Take it for what it's worth. I could have "been there, done that" OR I could be a pimply faced kid that played too much SOCOM on the x-box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#21]
The answer here lies in tactics you are implying you are alone with mutiple BG's around so here is the idea

1st goal find cover & concelment take away any distance advantage by hiding during the day make it a CQB fight you will have the advantage

2nd goal get out wait till night fall and bug out get away from that AO find freindly forces or a good alamo and more supplies...

3rd goal defense of choosen position

if you do this you have all the advantages if you wander aimlessly around streets or fields you dead
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I am confident that with my CMP rifle that I can outshoot at least 75% of shooters using the match sites then these shooters could do with ANY optics.  I would take those odds in a fight but if I had my choice for a one-on-one fight I would rather have an accurate bolt gun with good optics over a CMP gun.

Now, give me the choice of an AR-10T vs a bolt gun (even if the bolt gun was a 300 Win Mag) with the same optics and I would take the AR-10T ANY DAY over the bolt gun!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Just learn to hide in places where they have to get close to see you, negating their advantage of range and accuracy.
For more info on Bolts vs. Assault Rifles......ask a Serbian in Croatia.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Get in the car and drive away.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I was taught If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough, or nor using cover correctly. But thats before video games.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
The one with a good defensive position initially has the advantage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I like LoneWolfUSMC's answer...

But this question implies something without nearly enough data.
You seem to be implying that the bolt action rifle has an better long range performance than the AR15, but that isn't a certainty these days.

- What caliber Bolt Action Rilfe?
- What caliber AR15?

An AR15 chambered in something like 6.5 Grendel or 6mmAR will have the same reach has a .308 caliber rifle.  Of course, if the rifle is chambered in something like 260Rem or 338LM...

Asking open ended questions without specific enough information just raises more questions than it answers.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I think that was the whole point. This certainly got a lot of people talking.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it cheating to break out my Mosin M44 or my Mauser?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I can tell you for sure that I will be avoiding duking it out with a Fudd with a deer rifle. He may get lucky and I am not stupid!

I would only engage if I had absolutely no other choice. Once that point is reached, then he is going to die. I am a great shot and I will nail him from concealment without him having a chance. I will do everything I can to get him without exposing myself or anyone else.

First choice is to get out of dodge and avoid confrontation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Best bet is use sniper tactics. Lay in wait in a brushy or urban area, wait for the zombies to get with in range then open fire. Bolt action weapons are slower and require more reloads. Shoot straight and stay on the move. Long range scopes are basicly ineffective in CQC, so you have the advantage. Just dont stay in the open for too long, they may have an over watch looking for you.

Dat-gum zombies can be smart, so use the force to guide you and dont allow your feelings to overwhelm you, that leads to the Dark Side...

+1

Cover and concealment are key.  Become one with your environment and watch them drop.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Afghanistan, 1980's.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Some interesting responses for sure...  But you guys missed several important clues.
Zombies are undead and they only come out at night...  Now we are talking about a night time scenario ( I bet all of you were thinking daylight ) and more importantly, can you even kill the "Undead" ..?  Changes things a bit huh...?    
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Grab your tool and run to the nearest pay phone and call up Hannibal and B.A. and get the A team after their ass. Maybe call up the Equalizer as well, he is pretty good at that shit I hear.

I would also call Mac Gyver and have him set up some pop up flares around your parimeter and maybe a diesel fuel bomb on the exterior of your safety zone.

I would move away from the zombie infested area and move to Maine or Vermont and let Big Foot tear their ass up before they could touch me waiting with my 20" DCM gun with a Lupold scope and an Eotech both on quick detach mounts. That way I can counter snipe or CQB them with supreme firepower and /or accuracy!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I am going to develop an AR 15 with a playstation game controler for the pistol grip.  Just think, all actions controlled by the function keys... I bet it would sell like crazy on here. At least it sounds like it would be more familiar to yall than an actual pistol grip....
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grab your tool and run to the nearest pay phone and call up Hannibal and B.A. and get the A team after their ass. Maybe call up the Equalizer as well, he is pretty good at that shit I hear.

I would also call Mac Gyver and have him set up some pop up flares around your parimeter and maybe a diesel fuel bomb on the exterior of your safety zone.

I would move away from the zombie infested area and move to Maine or Vermont and let Big Foot tear their ass up before they could touch me waiting with my 20" DCM gun with a Lupold scope and an Eotech both on quick detach mounts. That way I can counter snipe or CQB them with supreme firepower and /or accuracy!

That right there made my day......
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'd just send the wife out to kick their sorry zombie zohoes.  I've nicknamed the little lady Howitzer.  She is certainly my favorite piece of heavy munitions.

Lookout
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your rifle better be parked under the FSB, or you're hosed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I really hate to jump into this beucase this is just one crazy ass topic, but....If you really think about it, combat is won with 100% brain, 0% beer muscles. There seems to be alot of learning needed to be done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#41]
who is guy u speak of?  so after his lung became blackend jello and losing blood profusely and breathing blood for hours and holding off squadrans of men (zombies?) all by his lonesome, he finally got rescued!?!?!?    wow, they should make a movie out of this.  

Quoted:
I knew a guy that had been shot through his lung with an AK and still held off advance after advance of company sized elements by himself for hours untill rescued.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Well they gave him the Medal of Honor for it. Guess it is kinda better than a movie...

Quoted:
who is guy u speak of?  so after his lung became blackend jello and losing blood profusely and breathing blood for hours and holding off squadrans of men (zombies?) all by his lonesome, he finally got rescued!?!?!?    wow, they should make a movie out of this.  

Quoted:
I knew a guy that had been shot through his lung with an AK and still held off advance after advance of company sized elements by himself for hours untill rescued.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If multiple people armed with bolt action rifles are stalking me and they want a fight, I will go off and hide somewhere.

And there is the smart answer. Since I live somewhere semi urban, you have about 50-75 yards maximum distance till there is an obstruction.

If you are being chased by "people" period, evade, lay low, dont attack anyone unless you have a clear advantage and an escape route.

When STHF happens, I dont plan on doing a lot of fighting. That shortens your life span...especially if SHTF involves being inside occupied territory (UN, Rogue federal gov't, chinese, Islamo-facists etc etc)
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
I am going to develop an AR 15 with a playstation game controler for the pistol grip.  Just think, all actions controlled by the function keys... I bet it would sell like crazy on here. At least it sounds like it would be more familiar to yall than an actual pistol grip....

Shouldn't you be out training instead of sitting here making fun of others?

Because that is what we all want, right?

Some of you current and post-Air Force/Army/Marines/Navy guys need to realize not everyone wants to join the military and/or go out and shoot people. Personally, I never want to be in a position where I have to kill another human being, whether it be as a civilian or as a soldier.

P.S. It may take training to fight, but I'd take "common sense" (thinking things through) over it any day.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I think whoever sees who first wins
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Some of you guys need to realize just how dangerouse you would be to yourself or others (friendlies) in all of these SHTF scenarios you all talk about. I am not saying there are not some bad ass civilians out there, but most of those people do not have to ask a question like this in the first place. And that was exactly what this post was about, someone asking a question about dealing with a combat situation. I realize that some of you do not want this but these questions are not brought up by people like that.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't you be out training instead of sitting here making fun of others?

Because that is what we all want, right?

Some of you current and post-Air Force/Army/Marines/Navy guys need to realize not everyone wants to join the military and/or go out and shoot people. Personally, I never want to be in a position where I have to kill another human being, whether it be as a civilian or as a soldier.

P.S. It may take training to fight, but I'd take "common sense" (thinking things through) over it any day.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope you didn't take my post as insulting.

In fact, I don't even own a weapon. I hope to be able to afford one (college) in the near future, and I will use it for recreational purposes only.

In my mind, buying a weapon for protection purposes is (check out this popular phrase) a solution looking for a problem. In the rare case(s) that you need to defend yourself, it is much better to have a good mindset and the information (and training) that you need to effectively keep yourself alive and out of harms way. Not every situation calls for violence; survival outside of direct combat can be the hard part.

Of course, I am not speaking from experience, but from others' wisdom and my own judgement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Well I hope you do not take offense to this but you realy should go out and get some experience before you start talking shit to those that do, which it was taken that way by me. I dont see how it could have been taken in any other way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Some interesting responses for sure...  But you guys missed several important clues.
Zombies are undead and they only come out at night...  Now we are talking about a night time scenario ( I bet all of you were thinking daylight ) and more importantly, can you even kill the "Undead" ..?  Changes things a bit huh...?    

Zombies are also day walkers (reference last Dawn of the Dead film). You may be getting them confused with other forms of the undead.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
Well I hope you do not take offense to this but you realy should go out and get some experience before you start talking shit to those that do, which it was taken that way by me. I dont see how it could have been taken in any other way.

Some experience with what? Guns? Shooting people? I did not say anything that requires experience; I said nothing in my post that requires experience with firearms and/or combat.

I was just talking shit back to someone else who was talking shit (you) to decent people. The point of my posts were to convince you to leave your arrogance at the door.

Being "experienced" does not make you any better (nor give you any more rights) than others.

As to how you take it - it all has to do wiith insecurity of yourself and your views. I am not saying you are insecure, I am just saying that people who feel insecure about themselves or their views generally take things as an insult rather than a conversation.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top