BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: I have never heard of identifiable pieces of PMags being littered on any range in the almost decade the PMag has been in service.
View Quote

I didn't say littered, but I've seen enough pieces, mostly large chunks of left side feedlips, that it has seriously had me wondering what has to be going on for that to happen.  Last week I saw half a RevM/M2 base plate on the ground.

I was thinking that kids or oilfield hands are the only people capable of fuckin' breaking a Pmag base plate.  I mean, it's a chunk of plastic.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It must be piss on Magpul day today or something.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I stated that the logic behind choosing a mag that is both reliable and more durable is not rocket science, I did not say anything about the chemistry behind polymers. I also stated that the primary function of a magazine is to feed the weapon. I also listed several magazines that will accomplish this goal. I then stated that if you can choose a magazines that both feeds reliably and is MORE durable than a Pmag that is a no brainer.

As far as your question on how much more durable a mag needs to be than the M3, well I will just say in our opinion, a good bit. I have dropped over 100 pmags in drop testing. This included gen 2 and 3s, and even a few of the new sand mags. I have yet to see a single pmag survive a 6 foot drop fully loaded on concrete on the feedlips without developing a crack. Not once. I would say that leaves some good room for improvement in the durability department.

In your durability testing videos they show the drop, then they show the mag being live fire tested. I have to assume from what I have seen in impact testing that in these videos the M3 developed a crack but was able to still function in the weapon. And I do agree that is most cases, in a drop where the pmag develops a crack that it will most likely function once inserted into the mag well, and that is great. But you know what is better? Your mag not developing a crack in the first place and continuing to feed the weapon for years to come after being dropped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread has become borderline amusing, as do most threads where Magpul posts their "education" "philosophies". Wonder why people hark on the durability of the magazine so much? Because there are several magazines on the market now for the M16/M4 platform that feed extremely reliably. We have good USGI mags with a no tilt follower, we have Pmags, we have Lancer mags, our mags, Tango down mags...

The Pmag is not the only magazine that will reliably feed the weapon. So what next? What is the second most important characteristic of these magazines besides feeding ammo? We think it's durability, and apparently, so do a lot of other people. I find it funny how Magpul has always picked on USGI mags for not being nearly as tough as the Pmag (which is true), yet when their mags get picked on for the same thing, they try their best to downplay the importance of the magazine toughness almost to a point of insulting people who find it important.

Bottom line, there are a few good choices for good feeding magazines for this platform. There are even a couple of good choices that feed AND are almost impossible to break. This isn't rocket science as far as logic goes....

Actually the science behind polymer compounding, processing and it's associated testing is a game of engineers and phDs and so is akin to rocket science.

In short reliability IS the primary goal of a rifle magazine.

Durability is important there comes a point of diminishing returns. Watch the PMag M3 vs USGI testing (high speed video with live fire full auto testing) and tell me how much stronger does the magazine need to be? The key is the PMag IS far more durable than the USGI but more importantly it is FAR more reliable under all conditions. We only focus on durability as it affects real world reliability.

Scientific reliability testing is both boring and expensive (we do a lot of it) and it is without a doubt the most important thing to look for in a magazine. But then again what do we know.

I stated that the logic behind choosing a mag that is both reliable and more durable is not rocket science, I did not say anything about the chemistry behind polymers. I also stated that the primary function of a magazine is to feed the weapon. I also listed several magazines that will accomplish this goal. I then stated that if you can choose a magazines that both feeds reliably and is MORE durable than a Pmag that is a no brainer.

As far as your question on how much more durable a mag needs to be than the M3, well I will just say in our opinion, a good bit. I have dropped over 100 pmags in drop testing. This included gen 2 and 3s, and even a few of the new sand mags. I have yet to see a single pmag survive a 6 foot drop fully loaded on concrete on the feedlips without developing a crack. Not once. I would say that leaves some good room for improvement in the durability department.

In your durability testing videos they show the drop, then they show the mag being live fire tested. I have to assume from what I have seen in impact testing that in these videos the M3 developed a crack but was able to still function in the weapon. And I do agree that is most cases, in a drop where the pmag develops a crack that it will most likely function once inserted into the mag well, and that is great. But you know what is better? Your mag not developing a crack in the first place and continuing to feed the weapon for years to come after being dropped.

So as a Manufacturer calling out another Manufacturer of a competing product, I am sure you would be more than willing to post some proof to your claims...Correct?

Seriously, does the TOS actually allow for Manufacturers of competing products call each other out?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:13:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think that is the case at all. Every time someone talks about magazine toughness Magpul comes into the thread and pastes their novel about their "philosophies" any why their way is unquestionably the best. When anyone disagrees with it they are seen as bashing Magpul. This discussion has now become about why a mag can and should be tougher than a pmag because Magpul keeps pushing the narrative that a mag has to be as rigid as their or it can not hold proper feeding geometry and therefor will not be reliable. This is simply not the case and a reliable and extremely durable mag can and has indeed been made.

This is not bashing. It is just as much our right to respond to Magpuls "philosophy" as it is their right to post it in the first place. Plus, he asked a question about how much more durable a mag needs to be than a pmag and I gave an honest answer. Everything I have posted is the truth, if someone doesn't like it, or disagrees with it, then that is certainly their right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It must be piss on Magpul day today or

I don't think that is the case at all. Every time someone talks about magazine toughness Magpul comes into the thread and pastes their novel about their "philosophies" any why their way is unquestionably the best. When anyone disagrees with it they are seen as bashing Magpul. This discussion has now become about why a mag can and should be tougher than a pmag because Magpul keeps pushing the narrative that a mag has to be as rigid as their or it can not hold proper feeding geometry and therefor will not be reliable. This is simply not the case and a reliable and extremely durable mag can and has indeed been made.

This is not bashing. It is just as much our right to respond to Magpuls "philosophy" as it is their right to post it in the first place. Plus, he asked a question about how much more durable a mag needs to be than a pmag and I gave an honest answer. Everything I have posted is the truth, if someone doesn't like it, or disagrees with it, then that is certainly their right.

I haven't tested all mags, and I have not tested your companies mags. I will say this, Magpul has the most ideal feeding geometry for the 5.56+AR-15 out of the magazines I have tried and this includes Lancer AWM's, Tan follower GI mags which are just laughable, and TangoDown mags which are a super close second in feed geometry but at $20 per mag are just to costly to ever be worth stocking many of.

I hope to try your companies one day to compare, but out of my test samples no one has beat Magpul in that area. This is doubly important when it comes to the military now that M855A1 is the new standard, as you need to raise the feed angle to guarantee the steel tip doesn't grind down the aluminum feed ramps in the M4, again Magpul mags do this. So out of my sample of supposed more durable mags that are supposedly stronger than Pmags none have anywhere near the ideal feed geometry that Pmags have.

You may be the exception, and I plan to test that one day and I would love to be surprised.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
see below
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
ETS mags offer something no other U.S. company does; the ability to couple together before or during shooting. Scroll to videos;

ETS magazines on DR!
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seriously, does the TOS actually allow for Manufacturers of competing products call each other out?
View Quote

Ha!  TOS is owned, operated, and moderated by a dealer and his minions who blatantly pushes the products he likes and sells.  He started that site after getting kicked off THIS one.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ha!  TOS is owned, operated, and moderated by a dealer and his minions who blatantly pushes the products he likes and sells.  He started that site after getting kicked off THIS one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By TOS I mean the terms of service here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means "TOS= Terms Of Service" (as in, the rules of this forum) but I could be misinterpreting what he said...
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Code of Conduct here doesn't allow for callouts at all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn… Magpul, you make a great product but are extremely annoying in your posts.

You totally derailed this thread and took it off the OP's topic which as nothing to do with Magpul
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

interesting.  

do you know if the material used in AUG mags improved over the decades since they came out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETS mags seem to have a good reputation, and a lifetime warranty. Watched some YouTube vids and was really impressed.  I ordered 2 mags a few days ago to give them a try.

BTW, my experience with clear mags has not been good either.  Bought a couple RamLine clear mags that fit both AR's and Mini-14 back in probably the early 1990's.  What a POS those were.  Brittle plastic body and followers, give them away when I sold the Mini!

SteyrAUG mags predate the Ramline "combo" mags by quite a few years. The Ramline were TOTAL CRAP!

For the 1970s the SteyrAUG system as a whole was generations ahead of it's time.

That said the magazines (while advanced) were not without issues. The material was very susceptible to chemicals and round retention under ambient temperatures was marginal at best (in high temperatures rounds would self unload in a rather dramatic fashion).

That said the AUG magazine is still rocking 30 years later while the Ramline magazines were junk the day they were released (10 years after the AUG).

interesting.  

do you know if the material used in AUG mags improved over the decades since they came out?

I'd be curious about this as well.  I have an AUG.  I have Austrian factory magazines.  They're cheap and work great.  I live in Texas - it get's >100 Degree's here.  I've not had any issues, though I think when I dropped a mag, and round popped out the other day.  Fairly normal, AR mags sometimes will do that.  I inserted the mag and fired away.  As far as I know, AUG mags are basically just Nylon, but quite thick and intelligently dimensioned, so can take a beating.  

As to the MagPul sucks/no-we-don't antics... Jesus people.    

Magpul makes a damned fine mag you can trust your life to.  Though, at the risk of earning some enmity at challenging the establishment: it looks kind of bad to say you can't make a clear magazine that holds up as well as the opaque design, when your competitors apparently can.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So as a Manufacturer calling out another Manufacturer of a competing product, I am sure you would be more than willing to post some proof to your claims...Correct?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread has become borderline amusing, as do most threads where Magpul posts their "education" "philosophies". Wonder why people hark on the durability of the magazine so much? Because there are several magazines on the market now for the M16/M4 platform that feed extremely reliably. We have good USGI mags with a no tilt follower, we have Pmags, we have Lancer mags, our mags, Tango down mags...

The Pmag is not the only magazine that will reliably feed the weapon. So what next? What is the second most important characteristic of these magazines besides feeding ammo? We think it's durability, and apparently, so do a lot of other people. I find it funny how Magpul has always picked on USGI mags for not being nearly as tough as the Pmag (which is true), yet when their mags get picked on for the same thing, they try their best to downplay the importance of the magazine toughness almost to a point of insulting people who find it important.

Bottom line, there are a few good choices for good feeding magazines for this platform. There are even a couple of good choices that feed AND are almost impossible to break. This isn't rocket science as far as logic goes....

Actually the science behind polymer compounding, processing and it's associated testing is a game of engineers and phDs and so is akin to rocket science.

Durability is important there comes a point of diminishing returns. Watch the PMag M3 vs USGI testing (high speed video with live fire full auto testing) and tell me how much stronger does the magazine need to be? The key is the PMag IS far more durable than the USGI but more importantly it is FAR more reliable under all conditions. We only focus on durability as it affects real world reliability.

Scientific reliability testing is both boring and expensive (we do a lot of it) and it is without a doubt the most important thing to look for in a magazine. But then again what do we know.

Historically, ETS has taken the higher road and not done so.  It was a more professional persona, and I don't know why the change.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Other manufactures have different standards in terms of mission requirements that determine what level of product they are comfortable releasing.

Do not confuse us holding to our standards with us not being able to make something on par with another companies standards. As stated before we have been experimenting with translucent materials since 2007 (One is seen in the original Art of the Tactical Carbine DVD) and we have built 2 production molds for translucent materials that showed promise but ultimately fell short of our internal standards in final testing.

On the AUG magazine, round retention (rounds escaping when the base of the magazine during a hard impact, reload on an open bolt) is far worse on the AUG than a conventional AR polymer magazine due to the non reinforced material. This retention drops dramatically as the heat rises. At 165-180 degrees (armored vehicle in the desert) the AUG magazine feed lips start to yield under the spring pressure and can self unload rounds.

This is mostly due to the state of polymer technology when the AUG was developed. I do not know if material was changed in the life cycle of the product but I have never seen dramatically different results in the testing we have done here during the AUG PMag program.
View Quote

Thank you.  That was actually quite informative.  My own limited usage has been far more tender, so not experienced that.  

Note to self, don't leave loaded AUG mags to cook in a vehicle.  Though.... I wish I knew this early, because i would just had to take one of those $14 Austrian 42's that were on sale, loaded that sucker up, and left it in the truck under the windshield in a Texas August had I known!  (Wet paint is not safe around me.)

This probably explains why my AUG has an internal "rim" right there at the top of the magazine well, snug around the magazine lips.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Historically, ETS has taken the higher road and not done so.  It was a more professional persona, and I don't know why the change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What change??  ETS has always been like the adult in the room when compared to others.................
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well this made me want to drop test my M3 mag. Did it from about 7', I'm 5'9" and my porch is 2' off the ground. Held the mag eye level and dropped it fully loaded onto the feed lips at 60*F onto concrete. No damage aside from scuffs and scraped to the plastic. Didn't lose any rounds either. Oh yeah it did however dent the top round as well, but thats what happens when brass meets the concrete.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
You did it wrong.  Put the mag in the gun and then throw the whole thing off the porch.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to call Bullshit on that one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You did it wrong.  Put the mag in the gun and then throw the whole thing off the porch.
View Quote

Why on earth would I do that! I know my gun could handle it, but honestly I've got to much money in it to just be throwing it off the porch onto the concrete.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why on earth would I do that! I know my gun could handle it, but honestly I've got to much money in it to just be throwing it off the porch onto the concrete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it for education.  Or the children.  Or something.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay, it's time to go WAY off topic.

What's going on? Is it now fashionable to crap on Magpul?

Anyone who reads my posts on mags knows I prefer Okay Industries mags, BUT, I will be the first to say that Magpul polymer mags are GTG.

I have quite a few and use them on the range and NEVER had an issue with them. Magpul was the FIRST reliable polymer mag, I've had Orlites, Thermomolds, Ramline, and others. The FIRST polymer mag I would even think about trusting was when Magpul started producing theirs.

And while we are talking about them, let's not forget that they had the balls to tell the state of Colorado to go fuck themselves! In addition remember that they also produce IMHO the FINEST stocks, pistol grips, hand guards, AND the followers and floorplates I use to upgrade my Okay mags.

I'm not saying there aren't other solid polymer mags out there now because there ARE!  I'm actually thinking about ordering several of the ETS mags, I like the idea that they are translucent.

If you don't like Magpul, then don't buy them. If you have a problem with one, their customer service is one of the finest in the industry.

My .02
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Can you leave them loaded to capacity for then years without any cover or support, and not have any problems or damage to the magazine.  Not trolling I have done this with GI mags, curious if synthetic material mags can do this.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Developing a crack is way more than visual damage. The mag will work for the time being, but in relatively short order, those cracks get bigger. Bottom line, once there is a crack that mag needs to be replaced. SO NO, its not just visual damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your doubt, most people, especially Magpul fans, either can't or don't want to believe it. When we do drop testing we make sure the mag hits towards the back of the feelips near the spine. The reason? This is the weak area of all AR mags, so it's the best place to judge. I don't want to argue with any forum members, so please don't take this response as such. I simply want people to understand that we are not lying, bullshitting, or exaggerating in any way. If need be to prove the point, we can make a new video, uncut, unedited showing us cutting the pmag bags open and dropping them from 6ft and the results. We are not afraid of the truth...

So let me get this straight. You are not calling us out by posting a video, You are just saying you COULD call us out by describing a video that you want to post but cannot because it would be seen as calling us out?

Technically we stand by the robustness of the PMag.  If you have found a new and inventive way to inflict visual damage it has not been a hinderance in actual combat operations for either the PMag M3 or M2 as either is designed to run even with damage from impact .

So we are back to the Magazine Design Philosophies posted on page one-  Did you actually fire the magazines after dropping them? If you did you would have found they run 100%, If you did not, then there is a problem with your testing protocol being focused on durability as a primary focus while ignoring the magazines primary mission which is to reliably feed ammunition.

Developing a crack is way more than visual damage. The mag will work for the time being, but in relatively short order, those cracks get bigger. Bottom line, once there is a crack that mag needs to be replaced. SO NO, its not just visual damage.

Seems to me cracking a M3 is pretty tough. I now have 4 drops to the feed lips on one mag from 7.5' height fully loaded and the only issue is the feed lips look like crap from the concrete scuffing the polymer. So far no crack on M3's and I don't see a lot of instances of dropping fully loaded mags on their feed lips in the field from 6'+ in the field.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you were asking this question to me, but it's a good question. I can't speak to other makers mags, but our test mags have been fully loaded for 2 years now with no cover or support and the feedlips have not spread even .001". At the stress level our mags see, they should last indefinitely without damage to the feedlips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you leave them loaded to capacity for then years without any cover or support, and not have any problems or damage to the magazine.  Not trolling I have done this with GI mags, curious if synthetic material mags can do this.  

I'm not sure if you were asking this question to me, but it's a good question. I can't speak to other makers mags, but our test mags have been fully loaded for 2 years now with no cover or support and the feedlips have not spread even .001". At the stress level our mags see, they should last indefinitely without damage to the feedlips.

Sir, thank you for that.  I have read many very favorable reviews on the ETS magazines and it sounds like you have a breakthrough in polymer chemistry.  However, as the case would appear - it has been called out that some polymers soften more than others under high temperature extremes, and this can result in failures.  I have no experience with this, but have not pushed those boundaries either.

One test that I would enjoy seeing is how well the impressive ETS magazine holds up if left loaded in a vehicle at very high temperatures, such as might be expected by a black gear-bag in the back-seat of a car in August in a hot location.  It has been stated (and I am assuming probably true), that AUG magazines can fail by softening under such conditions, and self-unload spectacularly (I assume such as if dropped), as well as round-jump upon vigorous insertion into the rifle.  I have not experienced that even at >100 °F, but can see the argument at more extreme temperatures (pushing almost 160 °F).  For most people in most settings, a non-item... but not impossible.   ETS polymer chemistry appears to be considerably more advanced than old AUG magazine polymer chemistry, and I should think your magazines would do better.   Do yo have any data or test reports on this that you can share?

Kind regards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 2:34:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Cool.  Thank you both.  

I like to keep a small stash ready to go
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Okay, it's time to go WAY off topic.

What's going on? Is it now fashionable to crap on Magpul?

Anyone who reads my posts on mags knows I prefer Okay Industries mags, BUT, I will be the first to say that Magpul polymer mags are GTG.

I have quite a few and use them on the range and NEVER had an issue with them. Magpul was the FIRST reliable polymer mag, I've had Orlites, Thermomolds, Ramline, and others. The FIRST polymer mag I would even think about trusting was when Magpul started producing theirs.

And while we are talking about them, let's not forget that they had the balls to tell the state of Colorado to go fuck themselves! In addition remember that they also produce IMHO the FINEST stocks, pistol grips, hand guards, AND the followers and floorplates I use to upgrade my Okay mags.

I'm not saying there aren't other solid polymer mags out there now because there ARE!  I'm actually thinking about ordering several of the ETS mags, I like the idea that they are translucent.

If you don't like Magpul, then don't buy them. If you have a problem with one, their customer service is one of the finest in the industry.

My .02
View Quote

Agreed brother.  People throwing rocks at the throne of poly mags.  I prefer them because they funchtion
well in my AR.  If they didn't I would find one that did.  I think the more people we have in any industry is
good but no need to snipe each other over trival crap.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I understand your doubt, most people, especially Magpul fans, either can't or don't want to believe it. When we do drop testing we make sure the mag hits towards the back of the feelips near the spine. The reason? This is the weak area of all AR mags, so it's the best place to judge. I don't want to argue with any forum members, so please don't take this response as such. I simply want people to understand that we are not lying, bullshitting, or exaggerating in any way. If need be to prove the point, we can make a new video, uncut, unedited showing us cutting the pmag bags open and dropping them from 6ft and the results. We are not afraid of the truth...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't engage Magpul directly.

It's in such poor taste that Magpul will condescend to others on an open forum, don't create joinder with them!

Edited for some tech content:

I just checked the two of the five Lancers that I have had since 2008, and used extensively. They have been loaded, fired, and dropped hundreds of times. There is no visible damage whatsoever. The steel feedlips remain completely intact with no finish wear and the softer bottom plates are dirty, but also show no deterioration. I will get some pics later this evening,

This thread was SUPPOSED to be about the durability of translucent mags, and not any company's philosophy. As far as I'm concerned the MOST durable mags are indeed translucent. There should be no hesitation to purchase and use the hell out of a Lancer translucent mag, and it appears to be the same with ETS mags as well. However, the ETS mags I own have not been used for the same amount of time or to the extent that my early Lancer L5 mags have been used.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
We are probably one of the most qualified to answer questions regarding translucent magazines, seeing we have tested countless translucent materials since 2007 and even built two translucent production molds.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81892

We have not released any translucent designs as we have yet to find one that meets our level of performance (as outlined in the PMag design philosophies posted earlier)

We have never filed a lawsuit regarding a translucent magazine but we have filed against companies violating our published magazine utility patents (ip.magpul.com). If we do not defend our IP we lose it.

I am careful not to insult anyone personally in a technical forum but I will address specific policy issues directly if they come up. I stand by my statements regarding IP/Patents (Founding Fathers vs Communism) and my view that "Expecting individuals and companies to abide by the restrictions of other patents but not defending their own IP is just plain dumb".

NOTE: Patent Law is a Federal law and as such is by definition "the law of the land" (not sure how the CO state law comes into it).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one called him a communist but he is promoting the concept that defending ones intellectual property is somehow wrong, which IS a longstanding communist fundamental.

Patent law is the law of the land. Expecting individuals and companies to abide by the restrictions of other patents but not defending their own IP is just plain dumb.
The law of the land in Colorado is limited capacity mags. Then you moved to a different state. Let's not cite the law if its only selectively cited in your favor  

Besides, this is a technical forum and so far you've gotten extremely close to calling someone a communist and dumb. Words do indeed have meaning, here's one that recently came to mind: Hubris.

OP was asking about strength issues with translucent magazines. Since Magpul was unable to bring a translucent magazine to the market I don't think you are able to comment on their strength, particularly since you have litigated against competitors that have. It's also very tacky to engage forum users in a combative manner. But maybe you can report me again like last time you disagreed with my opinion. No one asked for a wall of text explaining Magpul's philosophy; a link would have been more than sufficient even though it's borderline off topic.

Independent experiments have shown translucent magazines to withstand plenty of abuse, and exceed other non-translucent designs. The Lancer hybrid design is durable and long lasting. Out of hundreds of cycles through five Gen 1 Lancer magazines I've never experienced a malfunction that can be attributed to the magazine, or experienced any damage, when dropping partially loaded magazines from chest height onto the ground during reloads.

The same holds true for newer Lancer LWM magazines and the ETS magazines, but with much fewer cycles I can't comment on their durability in the same manner as the first generation Lancers.

We are probably one of the most qualified to answer questions regarding translucent magazines, seeing we have tested countless translucent materials since 2007 and even built two translucent production molds.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81892

We have not released any translucent designs as we have yet to find one that meets our level of performance (as outlined in the PMag design philosophies posted earlier)

We have never filed a lawsuit regarding a translucent magazine but we have filed against companies violating our published magazine utility patents (ip.magpul.com). If we do not defend our IP we lose it.

I am careful not to insult anyone personally in a technical forum but I will address specific policy issues directly if they come up. I stand by my statements regarding IP/Patents (Founding Fathers vs Communism) and my view that "Expecting individuals and companies to abide by the restrictions of other patents but not defending their own IP is just plain dumb".

NOTE: Patent Law is a Federal law and as such is by definition "the law of the land" (not sure how the CO state law comes into it).
Yes, we've seen your prototype mags that aren't durable enough for real use. I used to work for a plastics company that had trouble with translucent materials and never brought product to the market in translucent material. Other companies were able to do it with magazines, that's not your niche. No company can fill every niche. Probably best to stay out of translucent mag threads if there is nothing to add directly about translucent mags.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Again l disagree with your premise that our expertise in overall magazine design, material composition and building /testing translucent magazines somehow does not give us enough expertise to comment on the subject.

As stated before and outlined in the Magazine Design Philosophies (that people comment about but never actually appear to read), We design and build magazines to our own internal set of guidelines. This includes translucent magazines. Since we first started testing back in 2007 no material we have experimented with (including those with a enough promise to build molds) met our own standard for release (that said neither do any of the offerings currently on the market).

All this does not mean all other magazines are not well made or engineered. They are just designed/manufactured upon different requirements founded on different philosophies.
View Quote

That's a powerful claim sir.  I would appreciate seeing some data or specifics to support it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top