Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So now we know what kind of scope he used.

I still want to know what kind of ammo it was.
View Quote

WHY?
View Quote

Because it it proved rather effective. If it was something other than M193, M855, or 55Gn SP, it's a rather large statistical sample of ACTUAL shootings with a given bullet for a 16" Carbine.  Just becasue something was a horrible crime, doesnt mean the wound ballistics and LE community cant learn from it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The ammo used is probably what I am most interested in knowing. for reasons given by those who also want to know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The attorney put the rifle together in front of the court? Lol. What theatrics. I'm sure it played well on the fears that many people have about these weapons. I'm sure that anyone witnessing this hearing that was undecided on their opinion about Assault weapons has now decided forever against them based on the feeling they had watching that act.
View Quote

... Maybe not, I read somewhere today that a healthy portion of the jurors are retired Military.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez he could have really dazzled them puttin' the bolt back in a bolt action rifle. Wow did ya see how fast he did that. And he had the bolt hid in his underware.[shock] Haa!, I can kill you all now with my semi-automatic bolt action rifle. Haa!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
LoginName:
That's the one.
Thanx for the pic.
Delta6
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw the USA DC Sniper show, and it had an A2 stock in the movie as well as a long regular scope. It didn't look anything like this one.

I hope they fry these guys. What horrible crimes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember they showed one of the spent casings.
It was a Remington R-P .223 headstamp.

I'm assuming the load was run of the mill UMC 55 gr. FMJ
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe Bushmaster will do a [b]DC Sniper Configuration Group Purchase[/b].  Who's in!?
View Quote

I love black humor.  [image]http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/armed/kill.gif[/image]

View Quote

Black humor or dark humor? [>:/]
View Quote

Ha, I didn't mean the pun there, but it is rather funny.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there some kind of problem with wanting to know what kind of ammo he used?  When the shootings were going on, there was quite a bit of speculation around here about that.  

Funny, whenever someone comes back from Iraq or Afghanistan, someone always asks how their weapons performed.  Same thing - despite how this assclown used his rifle, he got good performance out of the ammo, so I want to know what he used.  Big effin' deal.
View Quote

If it turned out to be Wolf would you go out and buy a bunch of it for self defence?  [:\]
View Quote

[rolleyes]

Get all hot and bothered about the optics and the configuration of the rifel, but God forbid you're interested in the ammo.  Whatever.
View Quote

There is nothing about the facts of the gun, optics or bullet that get me "hot and bothered".  IMO, it was a stupid choice of rifle to use for what he was doing anyway.  A good 30cal sniper rifle would have suited the job better.  As the other posts by balistic experts on this forum try to say, you cannot make a sound conclusion of a rounds effectiveness from a few random shootings.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember they showed one of the spent casings.
It was a Remington R-P .223 headstamp.

I'm assuming the load was run of the mill UMC 55 gr. FMJ
View Quote

Well DAMN!  That stuff must be the best ammo in the WORLD.  Look how many people it killed.  I'm going out and buying 5000 rounds RIGHT NOW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
As for the round used:

1.  Can anyone confirm that it was indeed Remington UMC 55gr?  Where was this case headstamp seen?

2.  I haven't checked the exact details of each shooting, but if I remember correctly, all of them were good CoM hits.  Snipers in the middle east have utilized .22LR with good results.  Good shot placement can often times make up for a lack of terminal ballistics.  Some people seem to think it's the other way around... [;)]

3.  Here's a bit of testimony from Paul LaRuffa:

[i]Holding back tears, LaRuffa described in detail what happened after he closed his pizzeria and got into his car on Sept. 5.

"I saw a figure to my left. I saw a flash of light," he testified on the second day of the trial. "The window broke. I heard shots. I was being shot. I said I wasn't going to die. I said, 'I'm not dying in this parking lot in Clinton, Maryland."'

In addition to the chest and arm injuries, a bullet fragment lodged right next to LaRuffa's spinal cord.

The victim said he realized shortly after he was shot that he was bleeding from both the chest and the back.[/i]

Take what you want from it, it's hard to tell exactly what was going on here.  I'm not sure if he's saying there were multiple shots or just one.  It's also hard to say if the round or rounds actually fragmented or if it was only the rounds that passed through autoglass that were ripped to fragments.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
REL: Paul La Ruffa wounding....This is Muhammed & Malvo for sure; but no Bushmaster involved.  This was a "close-up", store receipt, robbery-stick up- and the weapon was a 22LR handgun. They got about $3500 and this was their bank-roll for all their later activity. They never requested money; came up to manager's car and shot him 6 times "point blank" and grabbed his bank bag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
REL: Paul La Ruffa wounding....This is Muhammed & Malvo for sure; but no Bushmaster involved.  This was a "close-up", store receipt, robbery-stick up- and the weapon was a 22LR handgun. They got about $3500 and this was their bank-roll for all their later activity. They never requested money; came up to manager's car and shot him 6 times "point blank" and grabbed his bank bag.
View Quote

Thank you for clearing that up.  That was information that I did not have available to me.  I was just posting what I found.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As for the round used:

1.  Can anyone confirm that it was indeed Remington UMC 55gr?  Where was this case headstamp seen?
View Quote

They showed it on MSNBC,CNN, or FOX? take a pick.
Just saw the headstamp. I'm just guessing it was UMC 55gr.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top