Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
BTW,  all of you LEOs and Military Members (and Thank You all, with deepest respect) will once again be...civilian pukes in the future.  It's a short season.

I just retired after over 23 years of active duty service, and to my knowldege, Colt NEVER ONCE made any offer to military members that was any different from their normal civilian offerings.  I used Colt rifles from time to time, but the last several times I qualified the rifles we used were FN-made.

To me, Colt assumes there's a market for their products outside the defense and LE channels (which it also seems to take for granted), and really doesn't seem to care whether their selection of features is what the market wants.  While I respect their track record overall, I think their business office is full of people who are out of touch with the real market.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got those same grinding marks on a couple of my upper recievers around the forward assist

does that affect the function of the rifle, I think not, remember it is a tool not a show piece

If you are basing your opinion on looks then function and reliability is not what is important to you

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
By no means would I say I am a Colt Cultist but I do have two Colt rifles.  

My first AR was a Bushmaster and I liked it a lot.  I built one for myself and although it was far from perfect it was MY AR.  

Then like a lot of people I got on the post-AWB Colt LEO rifle craze and bought two of them.  

While I could nitpick these two Colt rifles over very minor cosmetic issues I won't.  I also won't say that my Colt detachable carry handle should prevent the thumbscrews from falling off like my joe-blow carry handle from J&T Distributing.  I won't say that the factory scratches on my Colt 6520 were cool because Colt made them.

However since I consider these issues minor to who cares, my two Colt rifles were the two best made ARs I have handled.  My Bushmaster had some issues (most likely becuase of when I bought it, 1999) and my homebuilt unit, although functionally perfect, has a mish-mash of manufactures parts in it.  The Colt's just oozed quality and functionality and the latter they most definetely have.  

Trust me when I say that I want to buy another Colt not because they have a pretty Pony but because they make a damn good rifle that seems to have a high quality of accuracy, functionality, and reliabliltiy.  That's enough for me.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Trust me when I say that I want to buy another Colt not because they have a pretty Pony but because they make a damn good rifle that seems to have a high quality of accuracy, functionality, and reliabliltiy.  That's enough for me.  

Most Colt detractors will never understand. To them, it's only about this:

Fortunately that's their loss and our gain
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Have had 2 Colt AR 15s.  One was an A2 HBAR Sporter.  No lug.  The thing was a tack driver 1MOA with iron sights!  Great gun.  But I just do not like HBARS.  The other was a green label A2 "Gov't Model"  Very nice.  Had lug.  Neither had a receiver block.  Both had that great Colt gray finish.  However, I run two Bushmeisters and a Bush/Sendra now.  The reason I switched [to Bushmeister] was the receiver pin and fire control components pin issue.  Just a personal preference.  One of the rifles [Bushsnake] was put together 4 months before the 94 ban, so it has that slight purplish tint in bright sunlight.  Hey, collectable.  Colt has best fit and finish as far as I can tell.  But other manufacturers are gaining. If it wasn’t for the pin issue, I would probably still be Colt-although annoyed at their politically correct positions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Colt_Pony2.JPG

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you need to pay your daughter royalties everytime you use that image!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
 I think he needs to tell me where I can find one of those!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of the content of the "my brand is better than your brand" threads is even more absurd than the old Mopar/Chevy/Ford arguments from my high school days or  the "if it ain't Harley Davidson it ain't shit" silliness of my later years .  Much of it is simply "my way or the highway" type of thinking and is said, not out of any real knowledge, but just to justify a purchase decision or to diss someone else's decision.

The QC argument, IMHO, only mostly a moot point for people who buy guns one or two at a time.  How many of us civvies will buy an AR and leave it unfired and untested until a SHTF scenario happens?  Answer is, we won't.  We'll fire it, fix what's wrong (if anything), tweak it and tune it until we're sure it runs 100% before we rely on it.  In other words, people like us do our own quality control and at that point it's as reliable, if not more so than a manufacturer that individually inspects every rifle.  Personally, I trust my own QC more than that of some unknown company employee.

As far as 4140 vs. 4150 vs. chrome lined vs. non chrome lined.  I've done the research and made up my own mind.  I suggest that anyone who has questions do the same.  Take into account whether you'll be firing semi-auto vs. full auto and if you plan on cleaning and maintaining your rifle regularly.  If you still feel you need chrome lining or 4150 steel then by all means get it, it's your money, but leave the rest of us alone cause we're sick of hearing it.

If you want a certain brand name rifle then buy that brand and be happy.  But if you have to put the rest of us down because we didn't buy the same brand in order to justify your purchase decision, then maybe you need to do a little soul searching.  Look in a mirror before you diss someone else for their decision.  I'm not aiming this at any one in particular, just a general rant about some of the total BS I read on this board.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Some of the content of the "my brand is better than your brand" threads is even more absurd than the old Mopar/Chevy/Ford arguments from my high school days or  the "if it ain't Harley Davidson it ain't shit" silliness of my later years .  Much of it is simply "my way or the highway" type of thinking and is said, not out of any real knowledge, but just to justify a purchase decision or to diss someone else's decision.

The QC argument, IMHO, only mostly a moot point for people who buy guns one or two at a time.  How many of us civvies will buy an AR and leave it unfired and untested until a SHTF scenario happens?  Answer is, we won't.  We'll fire it, fix what's wrong (if anything), tweak it and tune it until we're sure it runs 100% before we rely on it.  In other words, people like us do our own quality control and at that point it's as reliable, if not more so than a manufacturer that individually inspects every rifle.  Personally, I trust my own QC more than that of some unknown company employee.

As far as 4140 vs. 4150 vs. chrome lined vs. non chrome lined.  I've done the research and made up my own mind.  I suggest that anyone who has questions do the same.  Take into account whether you'll be firing semi-auto vs. full auto and if you plan on cleaning and maintaining your rifle regularly.  If you still feel you need chrome lining or 4150 steel then by all means get it, it's your money, but leave the rest of us alone cause we're sick of hearing it.

If you want a certain brand name rifle then buy that brand and be happy.  But if you have to put the rest of us down because we didn't buy the same brand in order to justify your purchase decision, then maybe you need to do a little soul searching.  Look in a mirror before you diss someone else for their decision.  I'm not aiming this at any one in particular, just a general rant about some of the total BS I read on this board.

I don't agree about the superior QC not being important for those willing to pay the extra, just because they don't use their weapons for professional purposes.

By the same token that's like saying those paying $60,000 for a Lexus aren't really entitled to get 200,000 miles out of it simply because they don't use their car for professional use.

However, I do agree that it should not be flaunted in the face of those who choose not to pay the extra, and don't feel they need it in order to be happy with their rifles.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought this was the Colt Cult sign in, not the whiny ass got another kind of AR sign in, start your own whiny ass thread.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
R6520 owner signing in here.  So far my Colt has been as reliable as my HK-91.  Zero malfunctions in over 450rnds.  Not a high rnd count but enough to know the gun definitely works.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought this was the Colt Cult sign in, not the whiny ass got another kind of AR sign in, start your own whiny ass thread.  

This is what I mean - the Colt haters hate everything about Colt, while most Colt Cultists own and appreciate other brands as well.  

It's like liberals hating George Bush, while most republicans only dislike Ted Kennedy
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]

cant seperate the rifle from the politics

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top