Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, Id be interested. However I know it will never happen.

It be great if someone came along and made faithful reproduction complete with the interchangeability of the original. Id spend more than I'm willing to admit on an accurate clone. I know if someone ever attempted to make a reproduction it will be another m96, STANAG using abomination.
View Quote
How long ago was it that DSA came over here claiming they were going to make a faithful AR10 reproduction?

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How long ago was it that DSA came over here claiming they were going to make a faithful AR10 reproduction?

View Quote
Im in no way suggesting nor capable of having a Stoner 63 Clone made.  Merely checking to see if there is interest.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Im in no way suggesting nor capable of having a Stoner 63 Clone made.  Merely checking to see if there is interest.
View Quote
Just to really stoke the fires of unpossibility....

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get rid of the Hughes amendment and KAC could start proper production of the 63 for the masses?!?   (If I'm gonna crack dream, I'm gonna crack dream BIG)

Only 3900 signatures needed at change.org please sign if you have not yet, and pass it on
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just to really stoke the fires of unpossibility....

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get rid of the Hughes amendment and KAC could start proper production of the 63 for the masses?!?   (If I'm gonna crack dream, I'm gonna crack dream BIG)

Only 3900 signatures needed at change.org please sign if you have not yet, and pass it on
View Quote
I agree, Dream BIG or go home.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
One time, in reality, I welded a Stoner 63 receiver together from an original unfinished Cadillac Gage stamping. It worked too. 

They were my boss's parts, and he was big into VN-era SEAL stuff. I was 22. He had encouraged me to practice my TIG skills, and I later realized that was why. It was pretty satisfying to know I fired the first rounds through that old receiver. The next day, we installed the belt feed kit, which was even more satisfying. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
you lucky dog!   

I have never seen one in person, the m96 was my first inkling of it, but I was a stone cold Eugene Stoner beliver at that time, and thought the m16 was damn near as genius as the 1911....   still do....  Stoner was a. rather smart cookie......  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
... man, the temptations that you fellas put on a guy.  I'd be in for one, especially a belt fed, if the price could be kept under 5k.  I would pay hell at the house, but I'd swing it.  My only reservations would be the magazine in the rifle/carbine version and of course, the overall "Stoner" look.  The magazine would have to be something relatively common, rather than proprietary and of course, as close to a real stoner looking as possible.  

Build it, and they will come.

ka
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... man, the temptations that you fellas put on a guy.  I'd be in for one, especially a belt fed, if the price could be kept under 5k.  I would pay hell at the house, but I'd swing it.  My only reservations would be the magazine in the rifle/carbine version and of course, the overall "Stoner" look.  The magazine would have to be something relatively common, rather than proprietary and of course, as close to a real stoner looking as possible.  

Build it, and they will come.

ka
View Quote
If you're willing to spend 5k on a rifle, you should be ok buying a proprietary magazine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you're willing to spend 5k on a rifle, you should be ok buying a proprietary magazine.
View Quote
I think you could do both. Have proprietary magazines, as well as an M16 mag adapter.

Normally I would agree with you.. But original Stoner mags are rarer then rare, and "assault rifle" companies that produce a unique design don't have a habit of staying around.

That brings me to another point. I think it is possible to cater to both the shooter and collector crowds. With the way the 63 family was, it wouldn't be that hard to create improvements to appeal to the Tactitool crowd, and the collector crowd.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Normally I would agree with you.. But original Stoner mags are rarer then rare, and "assault rifle" companies that produce a unique design don't have a habit of staying around.

I agree that if you have $5k to spend on a weapon, you aren't too worried about the cost of a magazine.  I'm sure they wont run $300 each like they do now.

Also I disagree that Companies that make their weapons with proprietary mags don't stick around....I have for instance an FN SCAR H and Sig MPX, both have their own mags when there were/are other mags that would have worked.  I hazard a guess that both of these companies will be around for quite awhile.

And yes I'm sure that something as unique as the Stoner 63 platform will pique the interests of a wide section of gun enthusiasts.

Still, great comments and ideas.  Keep 'em coming.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not worried about the cost of the magazines, I'm worried about the availability of the magazines.  The Bren 10 pistol comes to mind.  The gun shipped with one magazine with the promise of more to come....but more were not forthcoming, not in any quantity.  Next thing you know, D and D is out of business.  What the hell good is a semi auto pistol with one magazine?

Granted, the belt feed on a Stoner SHOULD make that a moot point, but .... it's a modular weapons system... how hard should it be?

Finally, the 5k would be an enormous expense, entailing eating Ramen and putting in a crap ton of time at work...   THAT is how much I want a Stoner.

ka
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd sacrifice a lot as well to have one and I see your point re: the mag issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a rocker-locker magazine, right?

The Mini-14 magazine is fairly common and rock-locks too.  It even looks very close.

For the purists: we going to compromise and have it accept the common and relatively available link for the M249 or insist on the just-for-the-Stoner links?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
For the purists: we going to compromise and have it accept the common and relatively available link for the M249 or insist on the just-for-the-Stoner links?

I would think we could turn a blind eye towards the fact it would be best if they used the M249 links.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, but you're going to get called out on the range by someone if they see M27 on those links as opposed to S63. Could lead to a socially awkward range moment. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Du-oh!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you have a rock in magwell adapter that takes AR mags, and maintain the capability to take original mags?  Is there enough room in the magwell?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I use M27 links in my Stoner so the repro could as well and still be true to the gun. As for the mag, well teh Stoner mags have stops on the sides so the magazine well can be very shallow. You could possibly modify an AR magazine to work but without the tabs on the side it might not be stable in it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not just make an AR mag well as an accessory?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree that if you have $5k to spend on a weapon, you aren't too worried about the cost of a magazine.  I'm sure they wont run $300 each like they do now.

Also I disagree that Companies that make their weapons with proprietary mags don't stick around....I have for instance an FN SCAR H and Sig MPX, both have their own mags when there were/are other mags that would have worked.  I hazard a guess that both of these companies will be around for quite awhile.
View Quote
Apples and oranges really.

The MPX is still "current production". I expect when SIG drops it like a rock (like they did the 556), the mags will dry up.

FN is not a good example either; FN is a huge multi national corporation, and has multiple Military contracts for the SCAR-H.  They are also current production.

But we can compare a start up doing the Stoner to Robinson Arms, the HAC-7, Bushmaster "assault rifle", lots of 9mm PCC companies, "Bren Ten", etc.

Nobody wants the next Valmet 5.56 or 7.62x51 rifle, where the mags themselves are hard to find collectors items or you have to jerry rig something to work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, I want the next Valmet!

I'm trying to work out a deal right now with a friend for one of his full auto ones

I get your point though. We were lucky that when Century built the Golanis there were lots of mags available for them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, but you're going to get called out on the range by someone if they see M27 on those links as opposed to S63. Could lead to a socially awkward range moment. Just sayin'.
View Quote
True, and I've had plenty of those moments at the range.  Etiquette is everything.  Once I wore white after Labor Day, what a debacle that afternoon turned out to be
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Good points USGI
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My point is really that if someone is tooling up to make a repro stoner63, then they could also make repro mags.

All hypothetical of course,  but nodak has made repro waffle mags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Who wants a mag fed Stoner 63?

Linked belts, Baby!!

FA would be great.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]
wishlist - repro stoner could be made to work with lightning link :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:18:56 AM EDT
[#28]
There's hope...?!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I want one. Dream gun. Especially with the whole kit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I have no new news to report but I'm still hopeful.

There have been a lot of good ideas and opinions.  Glad I started this topic.

Keep the ideas coming.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top