User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We may be starting up the Tripower trend right now as we type!!! Soon we will be telling all others "we told ya so"!!!

h
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, Trijicon has a part# listed in the brochure for the Tripower killflash, so they must be out there somewhere!?! Im gonna try calling Tenebraex tomorrow. Ill keep ya posted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
AFAIK the killflash DOES have a part # with trijicon, but is not available for retail sale...and the polarizing filter may be a long way off, considering how busy trijicon is supplying troops etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I dont own a Tri-Power but have messed with one quite a bit over the last couple weeks. Outside, in daylight, I doubt you will have much of a problem with washout. However, if you are in an artificially lit area (indoors) and you look out into a daylit area (out a window or doorway) you will get washout pretty easy. The same can be said with working in a dimly lit environment and using a bright flashlight like a Surefire. The tritium is not bright enough to overpower the bright light. These instances are the same problems that people had with the Reflex II. This, in my opinion, is the very reason you have the battery and cylume stick back up. If you are working at night using a light, or working indoors and it is daylight outside, power up the battery. At that point the reticle can be lit as bright (maybe brighter) than an Aimpoint. Other than those or similar lighting instances, just leave the battery off and work with the fiberoptics/tritium power sources.

Perfect reply.

If I think I am in a situation where washout may be an issue I automatically go on battery power. Problem solved, simple as that.

Outdoors I have not had to power up the batteries yet. The fiber optics have lit the reticle perfectly 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
damn, now i wish i would have taken side by side reticle pictures when i had both the Tripower AND the Aimpoint in my posession..

The tripower reticle is NO WHERE NEAR as bright as the Aimpoints even at the highest settings, using battery power, with new batteries, with both units using the same brand battery.

Bright sandy conditions (afghanistan, or any other sandbox) no way the tripower reticle is getting the job done.  even with battery PLUS ambient light.  I live in Las Vegas, and had trouble finding the reticle sometimes with a light sandy, brightly lit backdrop (such as the desert area that surrounds me)...

I would go so far as to say that the Aimpoint reticle is TWICE as bright as the tripower's.

Too bad too...the  tripowers reticle is perfectly crisp and clear in nearly every other lighting situation.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
damn, now i wish i would have taken side by side reticle pictures when i had both the Tripower AND the Aimpoint in my posession..

The tripower reticle is NO WHERE NEAR as bright as the Aimpoints even at the highest settings, using battery power, with new batteries, with both units using the same brand battery.

Bright sandy conditions (afghanistan, or any other sandbox) no way the tripower reticle is getting the job done.  even with battery PLUS ambient light.  I live in Las Vegas, and had trouble finding the reticle sometimes with a light sandy, brightly lit backdrop (such as the desert area that surrounds me)...

I would go so far as to say that the Aimpoint reticle is TWICE as bright as the tripower's.

Too bad too...the  tripowers reticle is perfectly crisp and clear in nearly every other lighting situation.

That does not sound right at all.
My Tripower gets ridiculously bright, at least as bright (if not brighter) than any red dot sight I have looked through (including Aimpoints and Holosights). In fact, I can't even picture a scenario where it's extreme brightness settings would need to be used.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
do me a favor, tomorrow at noon, assuming that it is bright sunlight tomorrow at noon wherever you live, take the tripower out and find the whitest thing you can find...like a white block wall, or a white painted house..

see if the reticle washes out against that.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
do me a favor, tomorrow at noon, assuming that it is bright sunlight tomorrow at noon wherever you live, take the tripower out and find the whitest thing you can find...like a white block wall, or a white painted house..

see if the reticle washes out against that.

Short of aiming at the sun at high noon, nothing would cause my Tripower's reticle to washout on it's highest settings.  
My unit is one of the 1st generation models, so maybe they changed something along the way to tone down the brightness.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, since I don't live near the desert and don't plan on going to one I'll be OK.  If for some reason I do find myself in the desert I'll use the iron sights or a cell phone to call someone to pick me up and get me out of the desert.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, since I don't live near the desert and don't plan on going to one I'll be OK.  If for some reason I do find myself in the desert I'll use the iron sights or a cell phone to call someone to pick me up and get me out of the desert.  

touche
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I will try to take some photos. Its raining like mad right now, so the pics may be indoors. But I'll see what I can do.

That^ would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
newAR, attempt to find some conditions like i described...

really light colored background,.....like something that is painted white, lit by sunlight.

then compare the reticle clarity of the two sights against that backdrop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
phew!!!  thanks for that!!!  i thought maybe i was going crazy, or had gotten rid of a perfectly good tripower!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I've already ordered my TriPower so it's too late (well, I guess I could cancel it, but I don't want to *holds breath and pouts*).  Is the Aimpoint better at everything than the TriPower?  Maybe I got the impression that the Aimpoint wasn't very good at night without an NVD.  When I was reading about the different sights there must have been a reason I ultimately didn't choose the Aimpoint.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tri Power is also noticably more expensive.

hock.gif

I obviously didn't shop around.   h.gif

Well, I guess the fiber optic glowing wouldn't be too bad for what I would use it - not doing any midnight patrols or stalking.  Kind of a if-you-can-see-this-you'll-be-dead-before-you-realize-what-it-is scenario.  Hollywood!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Im going to agree with NeawARguy on this....in almost all situations the tripower performs admirably....the chevron reticle is IMHO superior to the 4MOA dot of the Aimpoint.  The tripowers drawbacks are thus:  (as far as i can tell)

1. not bright enough, even with battery, the reticle is not bright enough to prevent washout in the brightest of situations.
2. No scope caps.  Just a pet peve of mine...i would like to have an easy way to protect the lenses during transport.
3. Lots of plastic.  From the 30mm tube back...all plastic.  we deserve better than that.  If i were to drop my rifle, and it landed optic first, i would not trust the Tripower to hold up.

For plusses i give it this:

1. always "on"  even in pitch black, pick up your rifle and the tritium powered reticle is GTG.  With ambient light, same thing, the light gathering fiber optic keeps the reticle at the perfect illumination.
2. Weight, it is noticably lighter than the Aimpoint, mostly due to the extensive use of plastic.
3.   Chevron reticle, i feel is superior to the dot of the Aimpoint.  Can also act as a range finder in certain instances, the outside limbs of the reticle being the width of a military sillhouette at 100 yarnds, and the inside of the limbs, the width of the same sillhouette at 200 yards.  Also the pinpoint of the top of the reticle give a superior aiming point as opposed to the Aimpoint dot.

I think that the tripower is an excellent optic, and is worthy of standing alongside the Aimpoint and the Eotech...However, scope caps and reticle brightness will improve the design immensely.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
3.   Chevron reticle...Can also act as a range finder in certain instances, the outside limbs of the reticle being the width of a military sillhouette at 100 yarnds, and the inside of the limbs, the width of the same sillhouette at 200 yards.

Now that's sweet.

Since you mentioned the EO Tech: two of  the questions I had for them, but they never got back to me:

1) If the 550AA were mounted on a carry handle would the sight sit too high?

2) Does the 550AA have it's own light source?  I didn't think it did since it was compatible with NVDs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a tri-power but have used ACOGs quite a bit.  

From what I've read, it seems that Trijicon has dropped the ball on the tri-power--with both revisions.  

What they should have done is taken the superb ACOG and transformed it into a 1x sight with lighstick backup.

I've NEVER seen an ACOG reticle "washout" in any condition--the fibre optic tube always seems to provide just the proper amount of illumination.

The ACOG reticles  are only dim when used in very dark ambient light conditions (inside) and aiming to very bright conditions (outside).  And even then, the etched reticle is visible, it just doesn't glow.  For anticipated use in those conditions, a 12+ hour lightstick could be used--and THAT seems like a somewhat rare situation indeed.  

I don't understand why Trijicon felt the need to reinvent the wheel with the tri-power.  

A modified ACOG would have worked and been available pretty quickly.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A modified ACOG would have worked and been available pretty quickly.  

Yeah, the ACOGs did seem sweet and if I ever put a >1X optic on my AR I would definitely go for one of those.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Will Trijicon replace the dim tritum in 6 years?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#24]
As far as i know, the tritium is replacable, but its dimming over time is not covered under the warrantee...so they will replace it, but with a fee..

If i understand it correctly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
THe tritium is "suppossed' to last 10 to 12 years. I know someone who has Trijicon night sights on a pistol that are 15 years old, and they still glow.

I have only experienced reticle washout when shooting from under a covered bench into bright midday sunlight at a light colored target. Even then it was useable, just not as bright as it could be.

Love that chevron reticle.

It does need some thread in lens caps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a curious question for y'all:  if I mount the TriPower with the cheesy mount with which it is bundled and then change to the the "throw lever" mount later, but perfectly align the sight in the same alignment front-to-back do y'all think it will still be zeroed?  he
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Order the A.R.M.S. mount from here: www.calssportingarmory.com/ARMSnumber22TX30.htm

I did and got mine in a few days.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Here's a curious question for y'all:  if I mount the TriPower with the cheesy mount with which it is bundled and then change to the the "throw lever" mount later, but perfectly align the sight in the same alignment front-to-back do y'all think it will still be zeroed?  

The TriPower is in stock and has shipped, but the ARMS mount was not and I don't want to wait 6-8 weeks to mount the sight.  While we are on the subject: is a 1x sight such as the TriPower still called a "scope"?  

Very doubtful. You will have to rezero.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I bet I can find some screw in lens covers or filters at a camera shop. I might try to find a polarizing filter for the front.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
THe tritium is "suppossed' to last 10 to 12 years. I know someone who has Trijicon night sights on a pistol that are 15 years old, and they still glow.

I have only experienced reticle washout when shooting from under a covered bench into bright midday sunlight at a light colored target. Even then it was useable, just not as bright as it could be.

Love that chevron reticle.

It does need some thread in lens caps.

Uh, compare those old sights with new ones. I was recently introduced to this "issue". They fade faster than you think. The difference is clear next to new ones.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Order the A.R.M.S. mount from here: www.calssportingarmory.com/ARMSnumber22TX30.htm
Wes

That's from whom I ordered the sight, but the mount was cheaper at AZ Gun Runners.  h=85%

Quoted:
Very doubtful. You will have to rezero.
hr

That's what I figured, but I had to ask.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Things like lighter weight

This has been what's interested me since the first announcements.  The tripower weighs in at 4.7 oz without the mount vs. 7.1 oz for the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I did get mine in the mail about a month ago and I mounted it up front on my foward rail assy using a 1inch spacer. it looks pretty good and i can still use my irons... although eventually I will remove the carry handle and use the ARMS flip rear sight and throw lever assy. IMO~ It's a great red dot sight! The Chevron is kick ass, I've never had to turn up the brightness to the MAX under battery power, and never ran into wash out so far. i will post a pic or to here in a few days...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Santa (in the brown box truck) is bringin' mine tomorrow. I love the ups guy! Anybody else not able to upload pics on hunt101.com??? I have been getting a error message for the last month.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Alright, I am again confused.

The owners manual is not much of a help. First of all,  there is a small "ghost" above/right of the chevron on even the lowest "on" battery setting. After the fifth "on" setting the entire view through the sight has a red glow to it.  I called Trijicon and they said that mine is a "updated" version and should not have the described glow/ghost.

Looks like I have to send it to Trijicon eh? Total fucking bullshit!!! Im not happy
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#37]
The "ghost" is probably just you focusing too much on the reticle and not what you are aiming at.  Try it again and focus on the target completely.  Then the reticle should appear clear.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Its still there. Im taking it out thursday to sight it in. I might just have to get used to the tripower as I am used to my aimpoint. I will update after thursday.

BTW, I mounted the Tripower with my LaRue low profile RAS II/Aimpoint mount. Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#39]
any luck with the photo shop filters or lens covers?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, after taking it out to the range, I gotta say I love this fuckin' thing so far. My initial concerns were from tinkering with it inside. After getting used to everything, I think I like it better than my Aimpoint.(although based on limited experience) The chevron rectical is definately one of the things I find to be an improvement over the Aimpoints design.

It was bright sunshine at the range, and I never had to power up the battery, the fiber optic donut worked great with no washout.

I Highly recommend the Tripower. Those used to the Aimpoint will at first find it alittle awkward, but after putting it to use will likely grow to love it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a free minute after work today and took a pic.
I know my picture taking skills suck, but figured it might be of interest to those that have been following the thread.
Hard to tell, but the sun was fairly strong (no cloud cover).
Tripower was indoors looking out, with fiber optic cover on and batteries running...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did get my pics up of my Tripower....

Motive, if you took the spacer off the top rail of your handgaurd and mounted the TriPower directly to it, you could probably get a better cheek weld and co-witness your irons.

I did try that and it sat a little low (it failed to clear the front sight)... Right now i look through the iron and at the tip of the fron sight is the chevron! It's currently at the natural shooting position, or maybe i misunderstood you??
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
...there is a small "ghost" above/right of the chevron on even the lowest "on" battery setting.

Mine arrived Wed and I've been playing around with it inside and outdoors, but haven't mounted it yet because:
1) The "throw lever" mount arrives today (Fri).
2) I won't sight it in until Sat so there is no point mounting it until I'm ready to zero it.

I have noticed a little lens flare effect ("ghost"), but it isn't bad enough to annoy me.

I have noticed that the reticle washes out on bright white objects in daylight, but no sight will be perfect.  Besides if I have to shoot an escaped convict I can switch to the irons right quick.  (In Texas our inmates wear all white.)

Some people have mentioned that they are concerned that the sight is plastic, but it is hard frigging plastic and if I didn't know better I might assume that it was armored metal.

I have noticed the muzzle side signature and from my limited experience with NVDs I can imagine that with NVDs it would look like a small sun.  

The fiber optic light colletion unit on top does glow when under battery power, but you can either cover it with the provided cap or leave it alone and look Hollywood.  

If I have anything more interesting to report after I sight it in I'll report back.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have noticed the muzzle side signature and from my limited experience with NVDs I can imagine that with NVDs it would look like a small sun.  

I talked to reps from Tenebraex and Trijicon. They both said that the killFlash is in "development" and will be available "soon".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I talked to reps from Tenebraex and Trijicon. They both said that the killFlash is in "development" and will be available "soon".

Yep - Trijicon already has a stock number for it.    Someone else mentioned somewhere that a polarizing filter for the reticle washout is also being developed.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Speak up Triji TriPower owners. (Page 2 of 2)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top