BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
well i didn't read it all but it looks like you put a lot of hard work into this

Tack this SOB!
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
another great thread for new guys: forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

with a site as big as AR15.com we should have a new guy forum where a newbie can say hi and get basic info to help them find what they are looking for

I thought that is what THIS section of AR15.com was for....

it is, at least to some degree... that people keep asking the same basic questions  again and again indicates there may be some room for improvement. A lot of people simply don't read the tacked threads

AR15.com has a tremendous amount of information available, but it is spread out and can be difficult to find for new members.
a dedicated reference section or forum with basic info and links would make it easier for many people to find what they are looking for.

just my .02
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Placing a red dot on top of the ACOG means that at close range you have to get your head off of the cheekweld- an iffy proposition.
I know people who make it work.
I also know people who drink scotch and milk.

That's some funny shit right there!
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Great thread. Thanks for the hard work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Incredible!  Awesome information here.  Just what I was looking for.  As are many others, I am a newbie that had no idea where to start or even how to ask an intelligent AR-15 question to get started.  THIS THREAD IS PRICELESS! Thank you!

Fishman
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Incredible!  Awesome information here.  Just what I was looking for.  As are many others, I am a newbie that had no idea where to start or even how to ask an intelligent AR-15 question to get started.  THIS THREAD IS PRICELESS! Thank you!

Fishman

Welcome to the forum Will.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah this def should be tacked!!

bu bu bump
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Never ever had Trouble with AMMO selection  And The M4 14.5

This is what Ive been shooting

Black Hills Blue 77gr OTM
Black Hills Blue 75gr OTM
Black Hills White Box 5.56mm 77gr OTM
WOLF 75gr OTM

M193

Q3131
Q3131A
XM193
Wolf/PP M193 2005
IMG
PMC M193 old stuff

M855 & SS109

Lake City M855
Winchester M855
IMI M855
ADCOM M855
Sanata Barbra SS109
S&B ZV SS109
SA

Winchester USA 45gr
Ultra max 40 nosler

WEAPONS USED

BUSHMASTER 14.7 CARBINE dont know the rd count   Zero Jams ever

LMT Defeneder 2000 M4 14.5  Around  2000rds Zero Jams

LMT 14.5 M4 Upper on Bushmaster lower under 3000rds Zero Jams

I cant tell any difference between the M4 and My A1 Bushmaster 20HBAR or my old Colt 20incher I had

Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I applaud the OP for compiling and writing this thread.

I was, however, disappointed that Del-Ton and DoubleStar were not included (I am not affiliated or even own any products from either). The Doublestar post on page 4 seemed like they were just asking to be included. Even stranger was the anger in the OP's response. Doesn't seem very objective to me.

The info is very good (although certainly skewed by opinion/conjecture at certain points). To your credit I believe that a truly objective eval. is actually impossible.  

But let me ask this, why were they not included and to the point that they are STILL currently excluded?

p.s. I am actually curious as to their quality of products
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully I don't sound like I'm nit-picking... this is an excellent resource, much thanks!!

Is there any way to edit the post to not be all bold text? It makes it really hard to read. I ended up copying it into a text file and changing the formatting. Made for a much more pleasurable read.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I applaud the OP for compiling and writing this thread.

I was, however, disappointed that Del-Ton and DoubleStar were not included (I am not affiliated or even own any products from either). The Doublestar post on page 4 seemed like they were just asking to be included. Even stranger was the anger in the OP's response. Doesn't seem very objective to me.

The info is very good (although certainly skewed by opinion/conjecture at certain points). To your credit I believe that a truly objective eval. is actually impossible.  

But let me ask this, why were they not included and to the point that they are STILL currently excluded?

p.s. I am actually curious as to their quality of products

To be honest, I just got tired of trying to keep up with everything.  I wouldn't have minded someone asking to add them, or someone just adding the facts about their products, what bothered me was cutting and pasting an ad which seems to be an attempt to mislead the reader (specifically about chrome lining).  The reason I got angry was because I didn't want this to become a thread full of ads.  Once you get into brands, everyone has a favorite, that is why I would like to keep the information about specific brands as objective as possible (i.e. they use 4140 vs 4150, or chrome lining is an option, etc.).  Maybe I had a little too much invested time wise in this, and cared too much about the direction the thread went.

If anyone wants to add a specific brand, please post the facts about their materials, and I will add them to the original thread as I have time, or, if I don't keep up, at least it will be available for others to read.  Sorry about being grumpy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome thread, great job!
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

I just quit lurking and joined, and I wanted to say how much I appreciated this thread.  You can find a lot of this stuff in other threads, but having it all in one place is great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Just keeping this thread alive
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Great thread.  Could have used this when I first started looking at AR's.  Would have made the search process a lot easier.  Phil
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]
the best advice I can give is to buy quality right off the bat.  Dont even waste time with parts of questionable value.  Stick with the brand names and it keeps you from buying over and over again.  Also, quality mags are very important.

eta: correct spelling
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#17]
IBTT
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Tack this son bitch!  Seriously, as someone who has many questions about ars and how to improve my M4 style bushy, this thread is a great read.  Tack please.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 , it should be combined with the table of Kits that was made not too long ago..IMO
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#21]
i learn something every day on this site. tack this ish and make it faster for us newers (no longer newbies) to learn.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Page 20 bushmaster catalog carrier,s are magnetic
particle inspected for cracks or flaws.

I never saw that before, will change the info,  I wonder if that is batch tested or each individual one it tested?  I also updated the other info posted.

Thanks all

its only batch tested
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Why haven't we tacked this yet?
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why haven't we tacked this yet?

+1
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#26]
juslearnin,

I can confirm that ArmaLite use M4 feedramps, straight FSB pins and the receiver extension is mil-spec.

thanks for this awsome thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Great Job and someone tack this thread!
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I have added Noveske, Doublestar, Del-ton, Smith and Wesson, Charles Daly, along with some other stuff.  Thanks for the page, Forest
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have added Noveske, Doublestar, Smith and Wesson, Charles Daly, along with some other stuff.

update for Charles Daly:

M4 feed ramps, F marked FSB, Mil Spec receiver extension, H buffer, engraved T numbers on the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Tack this. It will save us newbies from asking stupid (more like un-informed) questions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Added stuff about "mil-spec" rifles from  article in Combat Tactics dedicated to the subject.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Added stuff about "mil-spec" rifles from  article in Combat Tactics dedicated to the subject.

Just picked this issue upat wallyworld ammo run today. Some good info, thanks for the thread update.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the great and informative thread!  I just bought a lower to start creating my first ever AR (might as well build right away).  This will really help me in deciding what to put into it, onto it, and upgrade later.  

FWIW, I'm a degreed mech. engineer, so this mechanical stuff is kinda fun for me (as long as the word "work" is no where near it).  I'm planning on eventually entering some of the local hi-power shooting events, but think I might start out a but lower in the expense range to get to know the firearm before figuring out what I really want in a competition rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Hello, juslearnin,

I followed the entire thread with great interest and found the information you and other members presented to be very useful and informative, although I am already a proud three-week old "newbie" owner of a S&W M&P 15A, and my next toy, a 6.8 mm SPC platform is at least a pay period away! (Just kidding--this IS a huge addiction, however!).

At the risk of drawing some full-auto 6.8 mm SPC electronic e-mail fire, I wanted to comment on the interactions and mode of reactions between certain members of this and many other threads I followed on AR-15.com and related sites.

I am shocked sometimes at the rudeness, incivility and intolerance of some of the posted comments. Certainly, to put it crassly, "opinions are like a**holes and everybody has one", but rather than an aggressive and uncouth critical attack upon efforts, such as those of "juslearnin", for excluding a particular personal "pet" interest of a particular member or presenting a "different" point of view, it is far more constructive to join a forum in the spirit it is meant to serve, that is (hopefully, respectful) exchange of information, knowledge and experience for the sake of learning of its participants.

Throughout history, the use and handling of arms (esp. the "high-end" ones, like the AR-15 "clones" and similar) had been the past-time of gentlemen (and gentle-ladies, of late), and it is disrespectful primarily of oneself, as well as of the others, to exhibit the un-gentlemanly (generic) behavior in print even seen in this thread, such as name-calling and personal insults which have nothing to do with the forum topic.

"Juslearnin", as he states, presents purely his point of view and is to be complimented for his subsequent graciousness when under personal attack. Unfortunately, a stance like his I have found in a relative minority.

Finally, I am not a "mod" and do not mean/want to assume any of that responsibility. Before the battle-cry arises, I add I am also not some woosie, but proudly retired from the USAF, and unfortunately had seen action where there were casualties directly under my command and I personally inflicted unavoidable deadly force -- all horrible memories.

I simply appeal to our sense of humaneness and humanity in interactions with others.

Thank you.

Victor.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
This has been a great and informative thread for the prospective AR-15 buyer. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Yes, I did find it by reading the sticky posts at the top of page one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Just a bump to keep this out of the archive for the newbies.  This version is updated over that in the FAQ section.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I though about putting this together for the newbie.  This is a compilation of a lot of the stuff I have learned from spending way too much time around here.  Its also a lot of stuff I wish I had known before I started putting money into rifles.

I agree that this is stuff I wish I had known as well. Trying to get a handle on it all is what brought me here to begin with. Thanks for all the time it took to write it all in one place!!!  It sure would've saved me a lot of time...
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hello, juslearnin,

I followed the entire thread with great interest and found the information you and other members presented to be very useful and informative, although I am already a proud three-week old "newbie" owner of a S&W M&P 15A, and my next toy, a 6.8 mm SPC platform is at least a pay period away! (Just kidding--this IS a huge addiction, however!).

At the risk of drawing some full-auto 6.8 mm SPC electronic e-mail fire, I wanted to comment on the interactions and mode of reactions between certain members of this and many other threads I followed on AR-15.com and related sites.

I am shocked sometimes at the rudeness, incivility and intolerance of some of the posted comments. Certainly, to put it crassly, "opinions are like a**holes and everybody has one", but rather than an aggressive and uncouth critical attack upon efforts, such as those of "juslearnin", for excluding a particular personal "pet" interest of a particular member or presenting a "different" point of view, it is far more constructive to join a forum in the spirit it is meant to serve, that is (hopefully, respectful) exchange of information, knowledge and experience for the sake of learning of its participants.

Throughout history, the use and handling of arms (esp. the "high-end" ones, like the AR-15 "clones" and similar) had been the past-time of gentlemen (and gentle-ladies, of late), and it is disrespectful primarily of oneself, as well as of the others, to exhibit the un-gentlemanly (generic) behavior in print even seen in this thread, such as name-calling and personal insults which have nothing to do with the forum topic.

"Juslearnin", as he states, presents purely his point of view and is to be complimented for his subsequent graciousness when under personal attack. Unfortunately, a stance like his I have found in a relative minority.

Finally, I am not a "mod" and do not mean/want to assume any of that responsibility. Before the battle-cry arises, I add I am also not some woosie, but proudly retired from the USAF, and unfortunately had seen action where there were casualties directly under my command and I personally inflicted unavoidable deadly force -- all horrible memories.

I simply appeal to our sense of humaneness and humanity in interactions with others.

Thank you.

Victor.

Well said, Sir.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
Hello, juslearnin,

Thank you.

Victor.

I see no reson the why you should think or feel bad about what you did,war is hell ,and Im sure there are some dead bodies in hell, so I wouldnt loose sleep over it,. I still havent.

Link Posted: 8/29/2008 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Hello, juslearnin,

Thank you.

Victor.

I see no reson the why you should think or feel bad about what you did,war is hell ,and Im sure there are some dead bodies in hell, so I wouldnt loose sleep over it,. I still havent.

Thanks for your service and a big plus one on your post as well....We may not all agree with the information and opinions shared, and that's o:k. Freedom of speech and all that....But attacking the poster on a personal level as well as profanity should not be allowed by the Mods. I have to admit that in the little time I have spent on the forum I have read numerous post  containing language that should be considered taboo. This a great forum and the very vast majority of post are excellent reads as well as helpful to newbs like me....Thanks to all who help  when we need it
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tack this. It will save us newbies from asking stupid (more like un-informed) questions.

Maybe if the newbies actually read the READ FIRST thread they would find the article is already there.  If they aren't reading that then tacking this would be pointless.

If newbs read first then there wouldn't be any more posts, not counting GD of course.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Have some questions and don't want to start a new thread.

1. Why can't I find articles comparing AR's "out of the box"? With all the gun magazines and websites I'd think there would be a lot of comparison articles. I can't find anything other than opinions written on sites like this. Is it because there are too many manufacturers and models to effectively compare? Are the mags/websites afraid of lawsuits?

2. Mil-Spec. This is something that appeals to newbies including myself. I see a lot of arguments that this doesn't matter unless you're LEO or in the military. True, I won't be using mine in full auto or for LEO purposes. However, since I'm gonna pay close to a grand (Bushy/RRA) or more (Colt/LMT) why not get the rifle with best specs. This being said how does a civilian know what kind of rifle he's getting from SBR, LMT or Colt? Do civies get the rifles that don't meet mil. spec so they throw them in the civie bend?

3. Gas systems. I'm lost on this subject and would appreciate someone turning me onto an indepth thread/article regarding this.

4. Colt v. LMT resale value. Hope I don't start a shit-storm here. Which would have a higher resale value? Is it a draw? I was thinking the LMT might do better because of Colt's oversize pin issue. However, with all the people that will pay top dollar for the pony on the side, perhaps the Colt would come out on top.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a bump to keep out of the archive.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top