AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey WarDawg,
Just curious,did the paint come off in flakes or did it come off on a cloth when rubbed?
Raymond

Sorry , I took so long to get back to this thread. I miss3ed your post. What it seemed to me was kinda like it was dissolveing it. It kinda smeared of lightly when I was wiping her down.This is after the FP 10 has been on the rifle for a month and after a shooting seccion. WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey WarDawg,
Just curious,did the paint come off in flakes or did it come off on a cloth when rubbed?
Raymond

Sorry , I took so long to get back to this thread. I miss3ed your post. What it seemed to me was kinda like it was dissolveing it. It kinda smeared of lightly when I was wiping her down.This is after the FP 10 has been on the rifle for a month and after a shooting seccion. WarDawg

Thanks for the information WarDawg.
By the way was the paint a flat paint finish?
I ran into the same problem with some VHT flat black camo paint.The more I rubbed it with FP-10 the more that came off.Same thing for primer coats and the low gloss cheap spray paint.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Been using it for a few years now. I have free samples of Militec-1, EEZOX, and Slip 2000 that I haven't gotten around to testing.

I haven't found a need to switch from FP-10 but may try some of the others eventually.

I was thinking of trying Militec-1 on my M1A . . .  would this be a good thing?
My FFL doesn't know where to get it . . . do you know?
Free samples sound good too
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
M1A Grease is best. In most cases.

For the M1a any grease will do, I like terta, but plain old high temp wheel bearing grease will do.  I use fp-10 on the M1A mainly for rust prevent, not lube as i over coat the fp-10 with tetra grease.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Been using it for a few years now. I have free samples of Militec-1, EEZOX, and Slip 2000 that I haven't gotten around to testing.

I haven't found a need to switch from FP-10 but may try some of the others eventually.

I was thinking of trying Militec-1 on my M1A . . .  would this be a good thing?
My FFL doesn't know where to get it . . . do you know?
Free samples sound good too

Militec
For a grease/lube on the M1A I would use the Mil-comm TW-25B.
www.mil-comm.com/
Go here and get a free sample of the FP-10 to try.
www.fp10.com/Claims.htm
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Mil-comm TW-25B, only thing i do not like about tw-25b for the M1A action is it seams to be to much a liquid for the "openess" of the m1 type action. Tetra is a litlle thicker in this area as both to be the "same" type of lube.
I have used lubriplate, mobil 1, slick 50, tetra, and mill comms tw-25b. all will work.

miltec = snake oil.

miltec best used as an aditive to motor oil 1 floz to a quart.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mil-comm TW-25B, only thing i do not like about tw-25b for the M1A action is it seams to be to much a liquid for the "openess" of the m1 type action. Tetra is a litlle thicker in this area as both to be the "same" type of lube.
I have used lubriplate, mobil 1, slick 50, tetra, and mill comms tw-25b. all will work.

miltec = snake oil.

miltec best used as an aditive to motor oil 1 floz to a quart.

Since you like a thicker grease,have you tried MPC'S Powerlift PL-10 grease yet?
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Have not tried it.

Only grease I was aware of was the one in the kits for wet cans, which were not recomended as an action grease.

I going to have to see if i can find any locally, or maybe next weekend as I'll be around the Pitt area, got to be a store around there that sells the stuff being Butler is close.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah its not recommended by MPC for use as a lube on a gun,only an antisieze on chokes,barrel threads etc..I use it as such.George Fennell is against grease on guns unless its specified by the manufacturer etc..
www.mpc-home.com/pl10.html
www.fp10.com/greasevsoil.htm

And a little more grease information:
www.mpc-home.com/greasechart.html
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes he makes a good point for not using grease. I just find some of my guns work better with grease.

Example. My ipsc gun its a Springefild 1911 hi-cap. using just straight fp-10 i will get filures to full close slide on a round. Now this ammo is all that al cased blazzer crap and usally happens after 100 rounds down range. Quick cure add more fp-10. I added some tw-25b to the slide rails no hang ups yet, but its early so far only one time out, so i cant draw anything yet from it. Thde springfeild is not a tight gun and i think the grease is just acting a little like a wedge holding the slide right..

Gun could use some touch ups in the burr dept. and the barrel is not the best fit, by no means is it a top shelf race gun. it is what it is, an entry level gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Been using FP-10 for over a year and love it.  I use the FP-10 to clean, then Militech-1 for lube...  I have yet to encounter a stoppage with my Colt M-4.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I think if a AR was as losse as this 1911 it would tear the rifle apart having all that loose steel bouncing away in the upper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes he makes a good point for not using grease. I just find some of my guns work better with grease.

Example. My ipsc gun its a Springefild 1911 hi-cap. using just straight fp-10 i will get filures to full close slide on a round. Now this ammo is all that al cased blazzer crap and usally happens after 100 rounds down range. Quick cure add more fp-10. I added some tw-25b to the slide rails no hang ups yet, but its early so far only one time out, so i cant draw anything yet from it. Thde springfeild is not a tight gun and i think the grease is just acting a little like a wedge holding the slide right..

Gun could use some touch ups in the burr dept. and the barrel is not the best fit, by no means is it a top shelf race gun. it is what it is, an entry level gun.

Man GK that 1911 needs to go back to SA if its that loose causing function issues.
Ive got a new CZ-97B that runs forever with just a light coat of FP-10 or TW-25B...even with wolf ammo.Put a couple hundred rounds of the wolf polymer coated ammo through it last week and not a single failure.Thing is a nail driver too and is built good and tight.One ragged 2.5" hole at 25 meters on a 8" shoot-n-see.Fit and finish is excellent especially for a low end high cap .45...paid $525.00 for it and am very very pleased.
The 92FS Ive had since 1990 is the same way.Most dependable pistol Ive ever had too.Never had a failure of any kind with it and that includes L.E. use as it was my academy,S.W.A.T. and service weapon.Its getting old though(high round count,but still good and tight) and has alot of history so the 97B is going to take its place on the range.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]
its needs some tweaking, not enough to send it back to Springfield. I never had a problem with it beside a bad case of mag-tec ammo (gun no like that brand) untill round count hit 7k (about 85% balzzer 230 fjm rest other 230 fmj). I going to replace the recoil spring with a new one.  that spring has at least 4k on it. and adjust the extractor. I'll bet that will cure it problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a good plan.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#16]
great stuff smells real good. for grease on pistols i use slide glide or militec grease.

slide glide can be bought at

Brian enos page

Its designed to be used by ipsc shooting competitions. We shoot a lot on our pistols. me personally around 1k a week
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Blank, tried the pl-10 on the M1A, it will stay on the m1a. only thind different i noticed is the trigger seams a little heavy as compared to the hooks covered in tetra (milcom 25b). besides that no complants was only 120 rounds down range, rifle was a little slugish at first. I blame that on to much pl-10 (read operator heaqdspace issue). fixed that problem when i cleaned it up, removed all the extra grease from the bottom of the stock and underside of the barrel, problem sloved,action back up to speed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeap thats alot of grease bro.
Why do you grease everything.The only thing I thought needed a grease was the bearing and bolt lug.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
M1a = m14= m1 garand=  grease.  

I used to much grease yep, but i was in a hurry had to get it done. i knew i would be pulling the stock appart so i ran with it like that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I grease on the Garand is the bolt lugs,rear top edge of the bolt and the op-rod...everything else gets the FP-10...especially the fire control.Well I do grease threads and such.
Also if you want the PL-10 a little thinner,mix in a little FP-10.Thins it out very nice and has worked well for me.A little will do so just put a few drops of FP-10 and mix.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
you guys use the FP-10 to actually clean the rifle and it's components?  I thought it was just a lubricant.  The bottle I have directs you to clean the entire rifle with degreaser first and then apply the FP-10 to the necessary parts.  Then it says to remove any excess.  I did not notice anything about using it like a CLP, just as the "L" &  "P".  

If I intend to use FP-10 should I stop using breakfree?  should i just wet a patch with FP-10 and use it to wipe down all dirty components?  then a light coat and assemle the rifle and clean excess off after i work the action and moving parts like the bottle states?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
You must have a bottle of Shooters Choice FP-10.
The FP-10 is a CLP...no need to use Break Free with it.
www.fp10.com
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
fp-10 = CLP on hard carbon deposites in the bore Butch's woorks better. As Blank said cheak out the web addy

Blank only other think I lube with grese is the hammer hooks, Basically I follow the lube guid in Scott Duffs book. Basically "if its shinny grease it."  yes M1a run find with no grease. I like grease for its long tern rust prvent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Does Shooters Choice fp10=fp10?

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
yes fp10 = shoters choice fp-10 same stuff different bottle.

chek out the the fp website under faq for proof.fp-10 = fp-10
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quick question for those of you who have experience with FP-10. Does it ever get sticky? I have been using EEZOX on my carbine and I haven't really liked it. It gets sticky way too easily. I try to wipe it all off, but still my parts have a sticky feel. Anyways, after putting about 60 rounds through my carbine I get FTFs, so I have to wipe the bolt down with EEZOX, and that remedies the problem. I don't want to have to wipe the bolt down after only 2 mags!

I'm also considering creating a mix of FP-10 and Mobil 1, and perhaps putting a little Militec in there as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quick question for those of you who have experience with FP-10. Does it ever get sticky? I have been using EEZOX on my carbine and I haven't really liked it. It gets sticky way too easily. I try to wipe it all off, but still my parts have a sticky feel. Anyways, after putting about 60 rounds through my carbine I get FTFs, so I have to wipe the bolt down with EEZOX, and that remedies the problem. I don't want to have to wipe the bolt down after only 2 mags!

I'm also considering creating a mix of FP-10 and Mobil 1, and perhaps putting a little Militec in there as well.

Nope,FP-10 does not gum up.Basically the FP-10 uses hydrocarbon base oil that works as a solvent and lubricant,MPC's MT-10 metal treatment for EP film protection and lubrication,inhibitors and lubricity additives.
FP-10 is a balanced CLP and does what it needs to do by itself.Adding the Mobile and Militec-1 is counter productive,just adding expense.
Use it as it is and your good to go.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#28]
EEZOX  IS TRICKY TO USE IN THAT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE MAX, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. (sorry about caps lock i just noticed blame it on my profession).

1. clean, degreases and 3 light coats letting the surface dry between each coat. just like house paint. With ezzox more is not better its actually worse. as you have noticed.

Fp-10 do not cut it down (adding mobil 1) your just going to make it weaker. Adding miltec is not needed as both mikltec and fp-10 are long chain clorinehydrocarbons as a synetic lube. the difference  fp-10 is mixed with other items miltec is straight. reason why miltec is just a lube and nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#29]
What about using FP-10 as the overall lube, and than putting a grease on the high-stress points? Would the grease over the oil cause any problems? Or would FP-10 do the job fine by itself?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#30]
depends on the rifle. for the most part fp-10 is all thats needed on a ar type rifle. Now on my m1a and m1 Garand, I use fp-10 underneath some of pl-10 grease no problems so far. I just like grease better on those rifles, now if i lived in a dusty location grease would be a no-go.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I really like FP-10.  It is an excellent lubricant and protectant, and a decent cleaner.  I prefer it to Breakfree CLP for any use.

I do grease the wear points on certain guns.  E.g, I put grease on the bolt lugs and inside lip of the receiver on Mini-14, just like on a Garand.  I use Shooter's Choice grease.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top