User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense taken. This is a discussion forum and all opinions are welcome.
The MI FF tube requires the delta ring and spring to be removed to install. This is not an option for weapon systems that are issued and not owned. An LEO with an issued carbine may not be authorized to make permanent modififcations to a weapon. These drop-ins are not permanent. Also, some users may not want to make those changes to a personally owned weapon either.

I cannot comment on the quality of MI rails as I have not seen them, but if MI thinks their rails are only worth $163, then I would guess they must be cutting cost somewhere.

Samson produces some of the highest quality parts available. Their tolorences are very tight and quality control is very important. All of their products are tested at the factory for fit and inspected individually for finish and rail deminsions. That is one of the reasons that Samson is fast becomming a prefered supplier for the US Army.

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/talonarms/MRFSDI1.jpg

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/talonarms/MRFSDI2.jpg

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/talonarms/MRFSDI3.jpg

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/talonarms/MRFSDI4.jpg

This would be an incorrect "guess" on your part.

C4

No R&D IS a cost saving measure. It costs a hell of a lot less to take an existing product and copy it, which is what MI did. Is it just a coincidence that the MI has all of the same major features of the YHM? Of course not, they modified the design and released it to the public. Samson obviously did not which is why it looks a lot different and costs more.

Run along Grant, this thread is not for you.

Its funny that everyone thinks that this "new" HG is the cats meow, when not a single person has even held one yet. (besides maybe talon)

What has Samson done with this rail system that makes it so revolutionary? Its the same as the YHM and MI in design. Its a two piece that locks into the delta ring and HG cap. Big fucking deal.  Its a rehash of everything YHM and MI has done already. And to a smaller extent SureFire and KAC, who first came out with 2-piece rail Handguards.

Talon saying one dealer is cutting corners and implying that they are not as good as product as  you are selling, without any other offering of proof other than price, is trashy to say the least. Odds are you haven't ever held a MI product, let alone actually measure anything of value. There is a huge profit margin on all AR-15 accessories. I guess your product must be shit compared to KAC since they are $75-$100 more expensive than yours, and YHM and MI are made out of lead and pot metal and imported from Ethiopia.

I guess everybody forgot the time when LaRue came out with their FF rails almost a $100 cheaper than DD and KAC. No dealers were saying that LaRue was trash. LaRue even had the locking collar. Samson only offers slightly a slightly thinner profile and loses 2 oz. at the cost of $70+ of the competition. And everyone who brags about 2 oz. will probably end up loading all kind of optics, flashlights and VFG to offset any weight savings gained by the HG.

Edited for grammer/LaRue
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since you believe my above comments are inaccurate, please provide DOCUMENTED proof (say in the form of a registered document or a patent showing that Samson made their rails BEFORE Troy hired Mr. Samson to manufacturer their rail).

You are so transparent that it's almost funny. It has nothing to do with whether your comment above was inaccurate or not. Frankly I could care less. My point is your comments were inappropriate and not without ulterior motives. They have nothing to do with this rail or this thread but I knew you would try to find a way to work them in. That's why I tried to forewarn the unknowing ahead of time because I knew it was just a matter of time. You can try to justify your actions here all you want but you are not fooling anybody.

Quoted:
P.S. If you would like to discuss the TROY VS Samson issues further, you can IM, E-mail, start a new thread or come onto my forum to cover it.

I have zero interest in discussing this, or any other issue, with you here, there or anywhere. Now please stop shitting on this thread.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The MI FF tube requires the delta ring and spring to be removed to install. This is not an option for weapon systems that are issued and not owned. An LEO with an issued carbine may not be authorized to make permanent modififcations to a weapon. These drop-ins are not permanent. Also, some users may not want to make those changes to a personally owned weapon either.

I cannot comment on the quality of MI rails as I have not seen them, but if MI thinks their rails are only worth $163, then I would guess they must be cutting cost somewhere.

Samson produces some of the highest quality parts available. Their tolorences are very tight and quality control is very important. All of their products are tested at the factory for fit and inspected individually for finish and rail deminsions. That is one of the reasons that Samson is fast becomming a prefered supplier for the US Army.

C4

No R&D IS a cost saving measure. It costs a hell of a lot less to take an existing product and copy it, which is what MI did. Is it just a coincidence that the MI has all of the same major features of the YHM? Of course not, they modified the design and released it to the public. Samson obviously did not which is why it looks a lot different and costs more.

Its funny that everyone thinks that this "new" HG is the cats meow, when not a single person has even held one yet. (besides maybe talon)

What has Samson done with this rail system that makes it so revolutionary? Its the same as the YHM and MI in design. Its a two piece that locks into the delta ring and HG cap. Big fucking deal.  Its a rehash of everything YHM and MI has done already. And to a smaller extent SureFire and KAC, who first came out with 2-piece rail Handguards.

Talon saying one dealer is cutting corners and implying that they are not as good as product as  you are selling, without any other offering of proof other than price, is trashy to say the least. Odds are you haven't ever held a MI product, let alone actually measure anything of value. There is a huge profit margin on all AR-15 accessories. I guess your product must be shit compared to KAC since they are $75-$100 more expensive than yours, and YHM and MI are made out of lead and pot metal and imported from Ethiopia.

I guess everybody forgot the time when LaRue came out with their FF rails almost a $100 cheaper than DD and KAC. No dealers were saying that LaRue was trash. LaRue even had the locking collar. Samson only offers slightly a slightly thinner profile and loses 2 oz. at the cost of $70+ of the competition. And everyone who brags about 2 oz. will probably end up loading all kind of optics, flashlights and VFG to offset any weight savings gained by the HG.

Edited for grammer/LaRue

Make no mistake, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I simply stated that copying existing designs is ONE way to cut corners.

As far as the Samson rail being better I have no idea, I don't have one.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I NEVER said anything like that.
I said that they are cutting cost somewhere. PERIOD.
You want to blast a dealer for pissing on other companies products, you better pick another dealer.

There is a huge profit margin on all AR-15 accessories.

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!

What do you think about that one C4i?
I guess we better cut back on the Champagne and Caviar.

About 1.5 to 2 years ago a dealer did post saying that there was a large profit margin on almost all quality AR accessories. But of course this was before LaRue, and almost other mid-end rail systems. ARMS, KAC, YHM (early models), SureFire were about the only things going for rails. And the first two cost well over standard $250 for a carbine FF rail. But this was also before the EE looked like the Sale Ads from the Sunday paper. (Whether this is still the case I dont know but it was at one time).

Talon, you seem like a good guy, I've asked you for quotes before on Sabre items and thought your group buy was  good, but your comments seemed rude-even it it was not ment to be.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Speaking of .Mil contracts, the USMC has been buying MI products (rails and BUIS's)  for some time now in large QTY's.

C4

Are they buying the 2 piece handguards?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
So you are saying the Army is buying Samson MRFs for troop issue? To replace or merely supplement the RIS?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
First of all Rob, you were not being rude by making the comment about MI cutting costs somewhere and to think you owe that guy an apology is absolutly absurd. These people need to  go take a s*** and get it out of their system so they can keep it out of your thread. If we are going by some of the mentality shown here why did LaRue , DD and any others start making rail system when ONE company already made one? It is called CHOICE. You guys go buy your MI stuff and stay away from Samson's rails. That is your CHOICE. No one here bashed MI's stuff. Only comments were made. Now go troll somewhere else and stay out of Rob's thread if you have nothing better to say. This was a technical discussion wasn't it?
ETA: I own a Samson rail system and a Troy rail system  just for the record. They are both great rails with subtle differences. I am not going to say which one I think is better so as not to feed the 's here.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of .Mil contracts, the USMC has been buying MI products (rails and BUIS's)  for some time now in large QTY's.

C4

Are they buying the 2 piece handguards?

Yes, the #17.

C4

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I didn't participate in any troll crap, but I had to listen to the scolding anyway!

Now back to the technical issues:

I just bought an MI two-piece rail handguard and the worksmanship was very nice, but in terms of design the thing seems heavy...

It looks like the Samson design has machined in the handguard/slip ring and handguard cap interface directly into the handguard itself, instead of having seperate inserts like the MI and the similar YHM two-piece rail. Perhaps this is a reason for its lighter weight...

But, if the US military deems these items good enough for issue to combat troops, who am I to nitpick?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, I didn't participate in any troll crap, but I had to listen to the scolding anyway!

Now back to the technical issues:

I just bought an MI two-piece rail handguard and the worksmanship was very nice, but in terms of design the thing seems heavy...

It looks like the Samson design has machined in the handguard/slip ring and handguard cap interface directly into the handguard itself, instead of having seperate inserts like the MI and the similar YHM two-piece rail. Perhaps this is a reason for its lighter weight...

But, if the US military deems these items good enough for issue to combat troops, who am I to nitpick?

I do like the fact that there are no screws to come loose.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
They look great Rob!

I might have to get a set for my 14.5" Sabre build
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
C4, I'm sorry but the USMC has not been buying MI products in large qtys. Maybe a couple for testing but not large qty. You wont find a single Marine on ar15.com that has seen any rail not made by Knights or any kind of BUIS other than the carry handle. The Corps is a small world and everyone has the same shit. This would be on the cover of Marine Times if it was true. I'm sorry you had to hear this from me.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Bravo, no problems. In fact I just bought a midlength MI rail from you a couple days ago. Should be here in a day or two. I'll be sure to bitch if it sucks ass. Or hype it up. Either way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Any update on when the rifle length forend will be available?
Any info on whether the rifle length forend will fit on an Armalite AR10 with 20" barrel?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's pretty clear C4iGrant didn't come into this thread to bash a Samson product, he came into this thread to respond to someone making what might be construed as pretty negative comments about MI products, which he sells.  If he thought MI products were crap, he probably wouldn't sell them.

I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where he had anything negative to say about this new 2 piece handguard.  

Personally, I think it looks like it will be a great product -- and I currently own some MI 2 piece rails (on my Sabre upper from Talon Arms!) .  The difference between the two seems to be the weight and number of parts; that more than explains the price difference.  The extra machining surely has to increase the cost to some extent, and I'm willing to bet that MI decided that the bolt-on end pieces are more cost effective for some reason or other.  I'm very happy with my MI rail but it's pretty damn heavy; next time I might give one of these a try.  The price isn't really that much more.

Now lets get back to the gratuitous rail photos!
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

Edited for grammer/LaRue

This was a great post IMO.  Cleared a lot of the mumbo jumbo up.  No one was crapping on anyone else.  Maybe people are just taking too much offense?  Cool off, it's just a thread.

On that note, am I correct in saying these samson 2 piece hg's are NOT free float?  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#27]
C4iGrant, do the MI FF tubes go on without having to remove the FSB, like the GG&G or Troy FF tubes?

At $163 that is very competitive, and i'd be interested in it if it can be installed without removing the FSB.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#29]
which is also what Samson did ... LOL  or wiat he jsut stole it from the other guys... and he probally colpied a Knights and YHM to make this.. What is so original about this ?

Ill give you a hint !
Nothing

I recently (last week) sold my Samson rail for a Larue ! anohter satisfied customer !!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C4iGrant, do the MI FF tubes go on without having to remove the FSB, like the GG&G or Troy FF tubes?

At $163 that is very competitive, and i'd be interested in it if it can be installed without removing the FSB.

IM sent.

C4

Awesome!  Will be sending an order your way soon!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#31]
This is great!  My only complaint about the YHM's was the fact they had that slot running down the middle of the rails, and my cheif complaint against the MI was it's weight.

Now we have a system that has the correct rails - yet weighs 0.3oz LIGHTER than the YHM.  Kudos to Sampson!  Now if they could drop it another ounce to get it to the KAC RIS weight it would be perfect.

Till then I'll think of it as a RAS at half the cost.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Man, I should'a known...

If it's got 4+ pages to read, 3 1/2 is going to be bickering!

Oh well...

As one consumer who ALWAYS asks "how much does it weigh ", I'd gladly pay a little more $$$ for a 20% lighter product!  In fact, I'm already wondering...  Samson once offered to machine the middle out of the rails for me on an MRFS to reduce the weight.  I wonder how much lighter THIS rail would be with that process performed?  Or maybe some lightening holes under the top rail?

Anyway, this may be EXACTLY what I needed to "rail-up" my Bushmaster lightweight.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Samson MRFS DI C rails now available!

LINK TO SAMSON DROP IN RAILS

I have a few pairs coming in early next week.
Order online now and we won't charge until we ship.

[email protected] for questions

Well I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that their street price isn't any cheaper then MSRP
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
$199 is MAP.

IM sent

Can I get the IM, too?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#40]
These handguards look great. Let me know how solid the fit is, and if there is any movement in these handguards after installed? I want something solid. I was originally looking at the MRFS-C 7" FF cause it bolted to the barrel nut to prevent movement, but am apprehensive about cutting off the delta ring.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I have rather limited experience with railed forends. Have a KAC M4 RAS on one rifle, all the others are standard handguards. I'd like to put a set of non-FF rails on another rifle; can I get some comments on a comparison between the new Samson 2 piece non-FF rails and the KAC M4 RAS? What are the major differences between the two? Is the Samson any more solid (less movable) than the KAC?  Not sure what I'm missing here - but it doesn't look like there's much of a difference between the KAC M4 RAS and the Samson. Why would a guy buy Samson's RAS when the KAC it tried and true? No flame intended at all...I'm trying to get some info here from someone who knows. Thanks. Any info would be a big help...starting from zero here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I have yet to buy my first Samson`s product but I can tell the way they are recommended on AR15.com
they must be good products.  Having said that I have two different sets of handguards one from Surefire on an M4 and the second set on a full size AR  from MI.  If I had seen the MI`s first both would be MI`s.  They match the rail height on the  upper were surefire does not.  I would like to see more on the Samson thought they may be better, but I am happy with  MI`s at their price points.    Competion is always good for everyone that is why I appreciate that we have so many venders and new products to choose from.  Thanks to Talon Arms for keeping us informed on Samson and Grant for the updated info on MI.    I did not know they had the free floater out.

Stickman the Surefires may be what you need they are thinner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Speaking of Samson, I see that they have come out with some new products.

I was browsing through the Samson site and saw that they released a spring loaded front flip up sight.  Looks good!

They are also listing the offset rail attachment.  Good piece for mounting a light.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#46]
"I cannot comment on the quality of MI rails as I have not seen them, but if MI thinks their rails are only worth $163, then I would guess they must be cutting cost somewhere."

They are obviously both cutting corners without locking mechanisms like the KAC RAS in a drop-in handguard replacement product.

The fit can feel tight but I wouldn't trust anything not locked down for optics.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sweet!!

And its cheaper than a KAC RAS.

FREE

Thats the best part about it.  All you ned are rail covers and youre set.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#49]
IM sent.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top