Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up, Hokie. I have been racking my brains trying to select a perfect optic for my new Vltor VIS build, I think I just found it.

Bigdawg, you have email!

Dev
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn bro,
Just wanted to drop in, and say that I'm loving my new TA11F, but I gotta say that I might have to own one of these TA338's in the NEAR future!

Can you tell me the weight of the entire unit both WITH and WITHOUT mount???

Also,
 IF you could have YOUR own CUSTOM made ACOG, what would it be?

I would spring for a TA31F with longer eye relief.  That is IT, that's ALL!

I would also like to see that compact TA338, have a 32mm objective, and at LEAST be 3.5x, if not 4x.  (ok, ok, so that is basically a TA31F with longer eye relief, I know, I know!)
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn bro,
Just wanted to drop in, and say that I'm loving my new TA11F, but I gotta say that I might have to own one of these TA338's in the NEAR future!

Can you tell me the weight of the entire unit both WITH and WITHOUT mount???

Also,
 IF you could have YOUR own CUSTOM made ACOG, what would it be?

I would spring for a TA31F with longer eye relief.  That is IT, that's ALL!

I would also like to see that compact TA338, have a 32mm objective, and at LEAST be 3.5x, if not 4x.  (ok, ok, so that is basically a TA31F with longer eye relief, I know, I know!)

The only thing I'd change...is I'd somehow construct an intregal fiber optic cover (like the accupoint) to manage ambient light, and I'd add another screw recepticle to make the TA33R8 anchored by two screws instead of one.  One's certainly more than plenty and I'm confident it'd outlast the AR15 it's sitting on.  Still, I am a man of excess.  Maybe include a couple flip up Butler Creek caps so I don't have to go out and buy em on my own!

However, I truly feel the TA33 is a prime example of evolution and wouldn't change much at all on this very sexy mid-sized ACOG.  It's that good.  The smaller objective aids in it's overall speed using the BAC.

Weight alone is 6.94oz (TA11 is 14.0, TA31 is 9.9).  I'm not about to disassemble my ACOG to get a weight measurement on the LT 105, so we'll have to infer!

Weight of the TA33R8 & Larue Mount is approximately 8.5 oz....pretty damn light.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I want to be interested in this scope but the 3.7 deg field of view just sucks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
TA33=3.7
TA11=5.5
TA31=7.0

I want you to as well, but this ACOG isn't for everyone.  All checks and balances, hence the variety of ACOG models.  The 3.7 by no means "sucks."  Note the correlation between the FOV and the eye relief and overall outside diameter of the scope.  That certainly has it's pros and cons over an ACOG with a larger field of view.  Don't forget it is still a compact ACOG.

Those who'd rather have a faster BAC experience under 200 yards with longer eye relief and still retain the BDC for ranges would appreciate this ACOG.  As I said earlier I think the TA33 is a notable alternative to the TA11.  Compared to the TA31 I strongly feel they're two very different scopes though the TA33 in my opinion outshines that too with regards to <200 yard shooting.  Then, at the longer ranges, you're really not gaining a whole heck of a lot by having a larger field of view.  You're target still needs to line up with the chevron.  Not discounting the TA31...if I was a regular 50-500 yard shooter I'd be all over the TA31RCO or TA31F.

Your own mileage may of course vary! But I'm sorry, there's nothing about this ACOG that sucks!  Sounds like you'd clearly be better served by a TA31.  I just could never stand the eye relief.  That and I don't live in a geographical area that requires much shooting past 300 yards.  

Speed and versatility rank high for this guy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
diff'rent  strokes....

I do wish trij would make a 4x40 with better eye relief than the TA31 but the same FOV and everything else.  I love my 2x20 compact acog tho.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I never looked hard at the specs on the 5X ACOG, how's that stack up?
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Hokie,

Trijicon should send you commission checks, or at least some free gear. "cause you've definitely sold me on the TA33R8.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hokie,

Trijicon should send you commission checks, or at least some free gear. "cause you've definitely sold me on the TA33R8.

lol...that'd be cool!

She's a fine piece o' glass!
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Hokie, have you got part numbers for the Butler creek lens caps handy?

If anyone is interested, Island tactical has buttloads of these 33's in stock, but they are amber and come wiith the standard #60 base. $775

I'm holding out for red.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I paid $850 for the ACOG/Larue combo.  The service from BigDawg was supreme.

I'm trying to get a reticule picture now....that's hard to do!

Just wondering if this the standard price or if it is higher normally?
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I paid $850 for the ACOG/Larue combo.  The service from BigDawg was supreme.

I'm trying to get a reticule picture now....that's hard to do!

Just wondering if this the standard price or if it is higher normally?

Hokie's probably sleeping over on the east coast!

Retail is $990 with a #60 mount
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah...I was crashed out early last night!

I haven't made myself size up the diameters of the ACOG frame yet so I don't have the Butler Creek part #'s.  I'll try and get them tonight.  I just need to line up the scope on the sizing template and see what they are.  I'll order a set and update the thread if everything fits well.  No sense in everyone order the same wrong size!!!

I think the $775 is the same price Big Dawg offered without the Larue mount.  It was $850 with.  I'd bet you'll see that price tag with most vendors.  I'd strongly recommend the Larue.  I did have to drill out the screw on the TA60 as it was on there tighter than the gates of hell.  The ACOG came mounted into the TA60 with the set screw loctited on.

I also read last night that the TA60 is (according to my Trijicon brochure) built to raise the ACOG above the FSB.  This may be true, though I still find the 3X magnification turns the FSB into a notable dark grey obstruction as opposed to a see through "blur" as you find with the 3.5X and above.  My experience anyway.  I wonder if Trijicon's advertisement even pertains to the TA33 as it's a new design.  I don't know.  But I'd definately recommend a flip up front sight base or a different model ACOG if you have a fixed FSB.

Link Posted: 2/14/2007 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If anyone is interested, Island tactical has buttloads of these 33's in stock, but they are amber and come wiith the standard #60 base. $775

I'm holding out for red.

$721.71 for AMBER Version at CalsSportinggoods

I am holding out for Red Also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I look forward to other's reviews on this scope as it makes it's way around the industry.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I received my TA33-8 w/amber chevron today.  I haven't even put it on my rifle yet and I love it.  I have been holding it in my hand and pointing it out my office window at different objects, both near & far and it is great with both eyes open.  The amber chevron is very bright and stands out against every background I have pointed it at.

I will mount it tonight and then head south to the ranch tomorow to sight it in, and then I'll test it out on some hogs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow $721!

Must....resist....amber...want ...red

EDIT: Comes up at $800, not nearly as tempting
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow $721!

Must....resist....amber...want ...red

EDIT: Comes up at $800, not nearly as tempting

Gotta click the instant discount button after you put it in the shopping cart.

Resistance is Futile !
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm told it takes Butler Creek sizes 1 & 9.  I just ordered a pair and will let you all know when they get here.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh My!!!  I just got back from my first outing with my TA33-8.  

The only technical term I can think of is AWESOME.

I just mounted the scope this morning and was at the ranch sighting in so my shots were only at 25 yards.

My impressions...

Really good glass, very clear and bright.
Easy, easy to quickly aquire your target.
Easy to use with both eyes open.
Very good pinpoint accuracy, I shot several sub inch 5 shot groups all with 2 -3 shots each going just about through the same hole.  (Your are correct Hokie, who needs a varmint barrel)
No need to worry about the amber chevron washing out against light backgrounds.  This thing is suoer bright.

Only problem I had was getting used to the adjustments, it takes a hell of a lot clicks to move the point of impact just a little

These is my initial observations, I will come back after a little more long range shooting and hog hunting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I just mounted the scope this morning and was at the ranch sighting in so my shots were only at 25 yards.

My impressions...

Very good pinpoint accuracy, I shot several sub inch 5 shot groups all with 2 -3 shots each going just about through the same hole.  (Your are correct Hokie, who needs a varmint barrel)
No need to worry about the amber chevron washing out against light backgrounds.  This thing is suoer bright.

Only problem I had was getting used to the adjustments, it takes a hell of a lot clicks to move the point of impact just a little

These is my initial observations, I will come back after a little more long range shooting and hog hunting.

Does the rifle have a FSB you are using? If so did it obscure the Sight picture much?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes it does and to be 100% honest with you I didn't even notice it until I made an effort to look for it.  It is just a blur in the lower part of the sight picture.  But I had actually shot about 30-40 rounds before I thought to myself "Where is the front sight?"
I just didn't notice it while I was shooting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm glad you added to the mix CNL390, cause it's my take that the blur is a PITA.  Different opinions will give everyone a better perspective on the issue.

Awesome scope in any case!
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:

My impressions...

gimme some more details :)
Id  like to keep my FSB for sure -any scope will have to cope with my fixed sight.  Are you using that ACOG TA 60 mount that is higher up on the platfrom than the LaRUE used by Hokie?  Let us know about the mount  you have...and Im really looking for this ACOG to stack up on my LMT flattop-If you are using the LaRue then the TA60 will definately be an advantage.  The PITA factor is important for this 850$ scope.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My impressions...

gimme some more details :)
Id  like to keep my FSB for sure -any scope will have to cope with my fixed sight.  Are you using that ACOG TA 60 mount that is higher up on the platfrom than the LaRUE used by Hokie?  Let us know about the mount  you have...and Im really looking for this ACOG to stack up on my LMT flattop-If you are using the LaRue then the TA60 will definately be an advantage.  The PITA factor is important for this 850$ scope.

$775ish for the ACOG & TA60, it'd be in the $850 range including the Larue.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
CNL390 wondering what kind of mount you rolling with-the ta60?  Im looking at this mount and scope with my FSB
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#29]
OK I went out and shot my rifle yesterday after I installed my new LaRue LT105 mount.

So now I have used both the TA60 & the LT105 mount with the TA33-8.

Using the LaRue LT105 the front sight is much more evident than with the TA60.  It is blurred but not as much as with the TA60 & it also seems to be higher in the sight picture of the scope.  Maybe enough to be able to co-witness but I don't have a rear sight so I can't be certain.

However, as with the TA60, as soon as you focus on your target you no longer notice the front at all.

Both mounts fit tight and secure.  The LaRue is smaller & lighter and virtual breeze to install.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
OK I went out and shot my rifle yesterday after I installed my new LaRue LT105 mount.

Using the LaRue LT105 the front sight is much more evident than with the TA60.  It is blurred but not as much as with the TA60 & it also seems to be higher in the sight picture of the scope.  Maybe enough to be able to co-witness but I don't have a rear sight so I can't be certain.

However, as with the TA60, as soon as you focus on your target you no longer notice the front at all.

Both mounts fit tight and secure.  The LaRue is smaller & lighter and virtual breeze to install.

Maybe LaRue will make a version as tall as the TA-60 ???

Paging LaRue Tactical..............
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Cost wise, maybe the thing to do is make riser inserts for the existing LT105.  I know I personally like the LT105's elevation above the bore...makes for a good cheekweld. But for someone with a fixed FSB I can see the desire for a different set up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#32]
ANYBODY HAVE THESE IN STOCK?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#33]
any of what the scope or the mounts?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

CALSSPORTINGARMORY.COM for a great price too!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe LaRue will make a version as tall as the TA-60 ???

Paging LaRue Tactical..............

I'd just use the TA60.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not to get too far off topic, but can anyone give the short answer to this? Has anyone dealt with Cals here before? I ordered one yesterday and got an email stating that the order has been rec'd & my card had been charged. However, i then checked the industry section and realized they aren't regulars here. The only way to contact them is by snailmail or email, no phone number listed. They do not accept walk-ins? I then emailed them for a shipping confirmation and rec'd this message

"Thanks for your recent e-mail.

You should receive a reply to your e-mail within two business days during normal business hours, which are 9AM-5PM (MDST) Mon-Fri"

I hope I'm not going to regret this. Thumbs up, down or indifferent? BTW, They do have the red reticle in stock.

Thanks for any info you have to offer.

mtdawg
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Try this number for Cal's 303-806-0357
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Try this number for Cal's 303-806-0357

The number has been disconnected. Thanks for the lead though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm told it takes Butler Creek sizes 1 & 9.  I just ordered a pair and will let you all know when they get here.

Hokie,

do they fit?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not to get too far off topic, but can anyone give the short answer to this? Has anyone dealt with Cals here before? I ordered one yesterday and got an email stating that the order has been rec'd & my card had been charged. However, i then checked the industry section and realized they aren't regulars here. The only way to contact them is by snailmail or email, no phone number listed. They do not accept walk-ins? I then emailed them for a shipping confirmation and rec'd this message

You should receive a reply to your e-mail within two business days during normal business hours, which are 9AM-5PM (MDST) Mon-Fri"

I hope I'm not going to regret this. Thumbs up, down or indifferent? BTW, They do have the red reticle in stock.

mtdawg

I ordered one of these from them, and I've received prompt emails (once I got past the spam filter/confirmation) from them. It has shipped and I have a tracking number. It looks like to me that this is a side-business of someone. Maybe retired, maybe moonlighting. They even mention that store hours can be erratic due to shooting habits LOL! It's one of those warehouse type businesses that does not have a store front. That's my guess.

This is probably why they have a very, very low price.

There's a similar place here in Florida that does not have a store, and doesn't really do calls (although they have a number). When you order a firearm, they set up an appointment and you meet them at their business location which is just basically a small room they rent. Probably to say they have a store front for FFL purposes. They stock NOTHING ...their prices are very low.

This is basically like the old kitchen table dealers, except now with a website and all shipping. Businesses with full walk in stores simply cannot match their prices due to business expenses.

I wouldn't sweat it at all. If we get screwed, we can always contest the charges on the credit card.....

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe this is why Cal's no longer has a walk-in store ...

www.kscourts.org/ca10/cases/2002/06/01-1156.htm

Chad Lawrence was a firearms dealer and owner of Cal's Sporting Armory in Englewood, Colorado. Cal's Sporting Armory was authorized to sell restricted firearms such as machine guns, silencers and sawed-off shotguns.

At approximately 7:30 p.m. on April 22, 1998, Lawrence was pricing inventory behind one of the store's glass display cases when Kevin Shuler, accompanied by another individual, entered the store.(1) Both men wore dark pants, gray pinstripe shirts, and baseball caps. Shuler was taller than his companion. The shorter of the two individuals asked Lawrence where a particular item was and Lawrence left the counter to show him. After talking to the man for a few minutes, Lawrence turned to walk back to the counter. The shorter man grabbed him from behind and pinned his arms to his side while Shuler held a gun to his head.

The shorter robber then took Lawrence's keys and went to a back room. Shuler continued to restrain Lawrence and asked him where the bulletproof vests and MP5s were.(2) Lawrence was taken into a back room, forced to lie down on the floor, and taped with duct tape on his hands, feet and eyes. He heard the two men opening cabinets and walking in and out of the store. When the store sounded empty, Lawrence freed his hands, triggered the alarm system and grabbed a shotgun. When he saw Shuler returning to the store, Lawrence fired the shotgun at him. Shuler and his companion fled the store, taking with them several firearms, including an MP5, and Lawrence's keys and wallet.(3)

Early the following morning, the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department developed computer-generated sketches of the two robbers, based upon Lawrence's descriptions of them. Later that day, an attorney contacted the Sheriff's Department, stating that he had a client who wished to remain anonymous who had information about the Cal's Sporting Armory robbery. Investigator Paul Goodman interviewed the informant by phone. The informant provided a detailed account of the robbery and identified Shuler as one of the robbers. He described Shuler as a 6'1" African-American man with several tattoos on his chest. The informant told Goodman that, during the robbery, Shuler had knocked over the store video camera and simultaneously dropped his own gun (a .9 millimeter Norinco handgun), that the owner had been duct-taped, that the robbers made several trips in and out of the store, and that the owner had fired at Shuler. The informant also provided details about where Shuler worked and lived, the kind of car he drove, and the whereabouts and identities of his girlfriends. Police were able to corroborate much of the informant's information about the robbery and Shuler.(4) The informant also provided some information on the second robber­that he was a shorter, stockier, African-American male known as "Ira," "Iroc," or "Roc.".......................
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mtdawg

I ordered one of these from them, and I've received prompt emails (once I got past the spam filter/confirmation) from them. It has shipped and I have a tracking number. It looks like to me that this is a side-business of someone. Maybe retired, maybe moonlighting. They even mention that store hours can be erratic due to shooting habits LOL! It's one of those warehouse type businesses that does not have a store front. That's my guess.

This is probably why they have a very, very low price.

There's a similar place here in Florida that does not have a store, and doesn't really do calls (although they have a number). When you order a firearm, they set up an appointment and you meet them at their business location which is just basically a small room they rent. Probably to say they have a store front for FFL purposes. They stock NOTHING ...their prices are very low.

This is basically like the old kitchen table dealers, except now with a website and all shipping. Businesses with full walk in stores simply cannot match their prices due to business expenses.

I wouldn't sweat it at all. If we get screwed, we can always contest the charges on the credit card.....

I have thought that might be the case, but when I couldn't get a phone number I started to worry. I don't usually do online business with someone unless I have a means to judge their authenticity. That's alot of $$ to take a chance on, but you're right. If all else fails, I guess I can dispute it with the CC company.

BTW, interesting story. How'd you find it? Google?

IM might be best so that we don't sidetrack the thread any further.

Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hokie,

do they fit?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hokie,

do they fit?

Yep!  They arrived on my doorstep yesterday from Cheaperthandirt.com, I'm waiting for some Magpul XT panels to show up to finish the last modifications to my gun - then I was gonna take another round of pictures for the thread - including a few of the reticule (if I can).

They fit perfectly.  So that's the deal with Butler Creek flip up caps (Size 1 for the occular & Size 9 for the objective).

I notice with my Troy BUIS the occular (size 1) cap needs to flip UP, not down.  My objective cap is oriented to flip down and lay flat against the upper/rail.  Works out fine as the occular cap is so small that when flipped up and pressed down it's almost non-existant.

I may eventually elect to remove the occular cap.  We'll see.  A few range trips may convince me otherwise.  Things have been so busy around the house I haven't had much time to shoot.  My groups with this scope so far are all 1MOA at 100 yards from the bench.  I know I can do better than that too, so it's a practice thing.  

This scope is just simply amazing.  I'm also lovin' the smaller FOV more and more too as I dub around outside using the BAC.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Yep!  They arrived on my doorstep yesterday from Cheaperthandirt.com, I'm waiting for some Magpul XT panels to show up to finish the last modifications to my gun - then I was gonna take another round of pictures for the thread - including a few of the reticule (if I can).

They fit perfectly.  So that's the deal with Butler Creek flip up caps (Size 1 for the occular & Size 9 for the objective).

I notice with my Troy BUIS the occular (size 1) cap needs to flip UP, not down.  My objective cap is oriented to flip down and lay flat against the upper/rail.  Works out fine as the occular cap is so small that when flipped up and pressed down it's almost non-existant.

I may eventually elect to remove the occular cap.  We'll see.  A few range trips may convince me otherwise.  Things have been so busy around the house I haven't had much time to shoot.  My groups with this scope so far are all 1MOA at 100 yards from the bench.  I know I can do better than that too, so it's a practice thing.  

This scope is just simply amazing.  I'm also lovin' the smaller FOV more and more too as I dub around outside using the BAC.  

Great, thanks for the update. I hope to have one of these in hand soon to test drive. Looking forward to more pics and additional impressions / feedback.

Thanks

Matt

UPDATE!  I just got a shipping notification. Woo hoo! That's a good sign! I have not received any response to my 2 emails, but it appears that I might actually get the Acog. I had hoped it would ship sooner so that I could take it out this weekend. Right now, I'm just glad it's coming at all. After doing some checking around, it seems that thier customer service sucks, but they are a legit business.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I noticed that Butler Creek has a Size 9 & 9A.  Which did you get?
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I noticed that Butler Creek has a Size 9 & 9A.  Which did you get?

9, straight up
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks

By the way I really like your barrel & rails, what kind are they?
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I just one of these this week for use in a 3 day introductory carbine class at Tac Pro Shooting Center in Texas. Today, the first day of the class,  I finally got to use it, first in sighting in at 25 yards, then confirming zero at 100 yards, followed by 3 and 7 yard poi drills. It was fast on these to my surprise, proving the magnification is not a problem.  My m4 clone has the front sight base, so there is a little blur if my eye is too far back from the occular, but by adjusting the length of pull on my four postion stock and my head position, I had no trouble seeing the chevron and hitting the targets.  I 'll have more to report after this weekend since I'll be away from a reliable connection until Sunday night/ Monday AM.

For those of you looking for a source to get these, I got mine from Kyle @ Ballistic Sounds for $775 shipped, great service and fast delivery IMHO. Link
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=269737
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, I received my TA33-8 Amber reticle today from Cal's Sporting Armory. Very happy about that.

Well, that's the good news. Here's the bad news. There's a problem with my ACOG. Has nothing to do with the dealer. There's a blemish inside the scope that you can see through the scope. It isn't easy to notice at first, but it's there when you look. It's to the left of the chevron, and it is a blurry dark spot a little larger than the chevron. It isn't on the same focal plane exactly, but you can still see it. Looks like something is on one of the prism faces...

Definately a manufacturing defect. Not happy about that at all. There shouldn't be any artifacts in the FOV.

Ah, and there's also some particles on the inside face of the objective lense. I thought i was dust until I used the lense pen that came with the ACOG package and to my surprise, these tiny fragments are on the inside.

What should I do? Should I send it back to the dealer or should I deal with Trijicon directly? Is it unreasonable for me to think that I should *not* be responsible for any shipping and handling costs?

Link Posted: 3/2/2007 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well, I received my TA33-8 Amber reticle today from Cal's Sporting Armory. Very happy about that.

Well, that's the good news. Here's the bad news. There's a problem with my ACOG. Has nothing to do with the dealer. There's a blemish inside the scope that you can see through the scope. It isn't easy to notice at first, but it's there when you look. It's to the left of the chevron, and it is a blurry dark spot a little larger than the chevron. It isn't on the same focal plane exactly, but you can still see it. Looks like something is on one of the prism faces...

Definately a manufacturing defect. Not happy about that at all. There shouldn't be any artifacts in the FOV.

Ah, and there's also some particles on the inside face of the objective lense. I thought i was dust until I used the lense pen that came with the ACOG package and to my surprise, these tiny fragments are on the inside.

What should I do? Should I send it back to the dealer or should I deal with Trijicon directly? Is it unreasonable for me to think that I should *not* be responsible for any shipping and handling costs?

I would ask the dealer to exchange yours for another and let him work the details w/Trijicon.  He may not be willing to do that, but it would be a nice, good will gesture on his part to take up the issue with the company and try to get you straightened out as soon as possible.  I'm sure Trijicon will take care of you, it will probably just take longer.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top