User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I think you're missing the point about ramped 9mm bolts.

IIRC, the whole point is to make the bolt work with a regular, semi-auto 223 hammer. If it isn't ramped, the bolt carrier motion will eventually beat the normal hammer out of spec.

You ramp the 9mm bolt so you can use a regular hammer in your lower, and (conveivably) swap uppers easier. It has nothing to do with recoil.  Am I right, guys? (M60Joe?)

*allmost* If you use a notched ar15 hammer in a colt style 9mm setup the notch in the bolt will catch the notch on the hammer and lock everything up solid.. Enough that you will have a hard time getting it apart..

And you don't break hammer pins (if you were previously).

if somone was worried about the ramping reducing the force required to move the bolt rearward, then they could use a heavier buffer. *however* actual usage shows that this is not a issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I've read a couple threads regarding ramping and no one has answered the question I'm looking for so here goes:

Would I need to get my bolt (or carrier, whichever it is) ramped if I used a 9mm hammer and a 9mm buffer?  Is there a specific spring that is required for the buffer?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you us a 9mm hammer you are not suppose to ramp the bolt/carrier. Something about it getting hung up. I've been wondering if an abbreviated ramp would work with a 9mm hammer? Maybe someone could answer that. The buffer should be a 9mm buffer no matter what hammer you have. The buffer spring should not be change unless you have a standard length stock with a spacer, then yes it should have a collapsible stock spring in it. Hope that helps.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top