BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Tone down the sarcasm. Nobody but you knows how you assembled the rifle, As you well know there are many things that can cause poor accuracy in an AR build.

If you don't want to be questioned, maybe give pertinent information or, you know, don't post.

Off topic ass fingering and toilet paper choice aside, it looks like it is the barrel's fault in your case.

Hope either Primary arms or Radical firearms makes it right for you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The reviews left on the Primary Arms website suggest a different experience.  Lots of happy people.  I suggest the buyers of the barrel (who no doubt have them by now) complete their builds, haul them out to the range, and print some groups.
View Quote

PA can edit  out offending posts in the industry forum
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tone down the sarcasm. Nobody but you knows how you assembled the rifle, As you well know there are many things that can cause poor accuracy in an AR build.

If you don't want to be questioned, maybe give pertinent information or, you know, don't post.

Off topic ass fingering and toilet paper choice aside, it looks like it is the barrel's fault in your case.

Hope either Primary arms or Radical firearms makes it right for you.
View Quote

Fair enough. Holidays a frustrating and staying at brothers place. He uses cheap TP so you can imagine where I got my example.

I will have to wait till next week to try to get a hold of radical. I've already taken the upper apart, but I might just put it back together too make sure it wasn't the assembly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That is terrible. I don't understand people who buy cheap tp. False economy there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Took mine out for the first time yesterday and put 140 rounds through. Got the red dot zerod at 50 yds and it was keeping them within a couple inches using 55gr handloads. I will try it out with a scope and some match bullets sometime but it seems accurate enough so far.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Same story for me. Fifty yards.  MBUS sights.  Free floated.  A touch over an inch and a quarter.  Similar to my Palmetto FN barrels.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Good to hear there are some with good results.  Makes a little less worried about my barrel until I can complete my build.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cleaned with boreshine like I do all my new barrels. Yes like I write manufacturing instructions(although in aerospace we generally have specialized wrenches specific to their application), yes with lubriplate like every other of the dozen or so I've built, yes three times to seat the threads. I also wiped my ass with Charmin ultra strong as lesser tp will have a higher chance to break and potentially end up with a finger up my ass. This can cause a slip when torquing and potentially screwing up the value. Any other things you'd like to know? I will admit that I have not calibrated my torque wrench since I bought it 3 years ago. I also did not torque it in a room at the same temperature that it was calibrated for. In some aerospace parts, this matters (but usually not, calibration is huge though).

No company puts out barrels consistently this bad. I would bet 1 in a 1000 shoot like mine. But I also bet that probability is also higher than known quality brands. Now for $65 I took that risk and I lost. I fully expect the next 10 reviewers to come on here reporting much better accuracy. Although granted there were a few other people reporting poor accuracy, I'm sure some people are happy with theirs. I originally posted my results as it was about this barrel. I really don't hold this against radical as some lemons should be expected given its price. I have not yet given them a chance to fix the issues as its the holidays and both they and I are busy.

Fwiw, I own a lot of different barrels and have had accuracy issues with barrels from BCM and Krieger. The Krieger was actually shooting better than MOA but when the gunsmith called to ask how it was shooting, he was surprised it wasn't well below 1/2 and asked me to send the rifle back for barrel replacement. Krieger actually replaced it on their dime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lennyo, I have some questions.

First, what torque did you put on the barrel nut?

Second, What irons were you using?

Third, did you test the new red dot on a different rifle?

And last, what muzzle device are you using, and how did you torque it?
You have multiple variables to account for before blaming the barrel. Maybe you have, but you didn't say you did in your post.

Torqued to 30 ft/lb and then a little more to time barrel nut, less than 50. Matech rear, mbps front, did not try the red dot but had similar accuracy with both irons and red dot. Muzzle device was DD superior suppression device. All the components listed except the red dot were take offs from other rifles that shot acceptably. The rifle I compared it to was this one which took a lot more effort to put together and optimized.:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/661490_My_technology_test_build.html

I'm not saying all radical barrels will shoot like this, just that this particular one does.

I forgot one question, how did you clean the barrel prior to shooting? They seem to have a good amount of goo in the bores when new.

And now that I'm thinking about it, did you have your torque wrench 90 degrees with the barrel nut adapter? If not, your torque values are only a guess. Also, did you lube the threads? Did you torque and loosen the nut a time or two, then final torque?

Sorry if any of this is redundant, I have no idea what experience you have with these, so I'm just working it through in my mind.

Cleaned with boreshine like I do all my new barrels. Yes like I write manufacturing instructions(although in aerospace we generally have specialized wrenches specific to their application), yes with lubriplate like every other of the dozen or so I've built, yes three times to seat the threads. I also wiped my ass with Charmin ultra strong as lesser tp will have a higher chance to break and potentially end up with a finger up my ass. This can cause a slip when torquing and potentially screwing up the value. Any other things you'd like to know? I will admit that I have not calibrated my torque wrench since I bought it 3 years ago. I also did not torque it in a room at the same temperature that it was calibrated for. In some aerospace parts, this matters (but usually not, calibration is huge though).

No company puts out barrels consistently this bad. I would bet 1 in a 1000 shoot like mine. But I also bet that probability is also higher than known quality brands. Now for $65 I took that risk and I lost. I fully expect the next 10 reviewers to come on here reporting much better accuracy. Although granted there were a few other people reporting poor accuracy, I'm sure some people are happy with theirs. I originally posted my results as it was about this barrel. I really don't hold this against radical as some lemons should be expected given its price. I have not yet given them a chance to fix the issues as its the holidays and both they and I are busy.

Fwiw, I own a lot of different barrels and have had accuracy issues with barrels from BCM and Krieger. The Krieger was actually shooting better than MOA but when the gunsmith called to ask how it was shooting, he was surprised it wasn't well below 1/2 and asked me to send the rifle back for barrel replacement. Krieger actually replaced it on their dime.

BCM and Krieger don't really belong in the same sentence.  Krieger barrels probably cost as much as some of the BCM uppers.  A Krieger barrel is basically a cut rifled, hand lapped barrel that a skilled craftsmen hand carried through the entire process.  Krieger is not a production barrel.  

I think you have done consumers a service though to report your findings.  12 MOA barrels lurking in production batches are something I would think most people would want to know about.  I had a second owner Bushmaster 1/7 CL 14.5 govt contour barrel that I put 6000 rounds through in 2 weeks firing 500 rounds a session and not cleaning once, and that barrel was shot out from heat, and was still grouping maybe 4.5MOA.  That's about as bad as any AR I've ever owned.  So 12MOA is in a league of its own.  Maybe there are a lot of hobbiests who want something that resembles an AR that costs $350 but I personally have no use for low quality products and I would rather they didn't even exist on the market because they bring the whole market down by suggesting superior quality products they vaguely resemble should cost less, pushing quality providers to cut corners and cost as well.   The industry trend lately has been a race for the bottom- a competition for who can make garbage cheapest. It's an alarming trend in Ar-15's.  

Case in point on the BCM/Krieger point in the first paragraph, BCM 16" mid upper MOE handguards and BCG with BCM comp for $466. Add a charging handle and the Krieger barrel might actually cost more than the BCM upper half.  To a certain extent in this world you get what you pay for.  Sure sometimes you can over-pay, but not too many companies will undersell you superior quality and stay in business.  
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a question for the guys that have completed their build with this barrel.  What kind of gas block did you use and did you dimple the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
YHM gas block. No dimples.  Blue loctite on the threads.  Solid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I did and we're headed out to put the first rounds through it today...
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got a question for the guys that have completed their build with this barrel.  What kind of gas block did you use and did you dimple the barrel?
View Quote

Odin Works gas block and two dimples for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Shot a bunch yesterday, indoors though since it was raining all day...  Results were as expected, no issues.  Will try for a better report when we can get to the range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm glad( and not really surprised) that other barrels are doing better. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally get around to getting a hold of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
100 yards - 55 grain nbt's.   Crappy trigger and balled sweatshirt as rest.

Works well enough for the price.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Set screws or clamp style?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Set screws.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/SomeBodyFromKC/Mobile%20Uploads/9E62662E-C2C9-4DCF-9F2A-01B28C855BB6_zpsystkobda.jpg
View Quote

Iron sights?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Iron sights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/SomeBodyFromKC/Mobile%20Uploads/9E62662E-C2C9-4DCF-9F2A-01B28C855BB6_zpsystkobda.jpg

Iron sights?

Bushnell banner at 10x
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will be doing mine this weekend. BRT MicroPin block, double dimpled, cross pinned with a "type A"  grooved .75 x .125 pin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Will be doing mine this weekend. BRT MicroPin block, double dimpled, cross pinned with a "type A"  grooved .75 x .125 pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carbide tooling?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Carbide tooling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carbide tooling?

Yep. Carbide .125 (1/8) bit. Since I'll be using a type A grooved steel dowel pin (they are oversized and "crush to fit"), I'm going to skip the dimple part (grooved dowel pin will be VERY tight and durable).
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep. Carbide .125 (1/8) bit. Since I'll be using a type A grooved steel dowel pin (they are oversized and "crush to fit"), I'm going to skip the dimple part (grooved dowel pin will be VERY tight and durable).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carbide tooling?

Thanks, that's a good idea on the pin. I suspect that you would need a carbide taper reamer to do taper pins, if carbide taper reamers even exist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Drilled the block and barrel for pin tonight. Despite the Melonite, drilling was no problem using an average drill press (just go slow and use cutting fluid). Zero hiccups.

I opted to not dimple the barrel for 2 reasons, A) I'll be using a grooved dowel pin which will fit SUPER tight (that sucker won't go anywhere once pinned), and B) if you see how close the MicroPin block's set screws are to each other, you'll see why I didn't dimple (dimples plus the cross pin groove in the same area would have been a bit much.
Came out beautifully. Waiting on my handguard before I can pin it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Drilled the block and barrel for pin tonight. Despite the Melonite, drilling was no problem using an average drill press (just go slow and use cutting fluid). Zero hiccups.

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_0734.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_0734.jpg</a>

I opted to not dimple the barrel for 2 reasons, A) I'll be using a grooved dowel pin which will fit SUPER tight (that sucker won't go anywhere once pinned), and B) if you see how close the MicroPin block's set screws are to each other, you'll see why I didn't dimple (dimples plus the cross pin groove in the same area would have been a bit much.
View Quote

My normal procedure is to use my jig to dimple for alignment then pin.

Turned out nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_0734.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_0734.jpg</a>

View Quote

That looks like you did a really nice job.

Update: I sent them an email this morning and they got back to me pretty quickly asking for a copy of my invoice from Primary Arms. I thought that was weird, but I guess they wanted to verify where I got the barrel. Anyways, I sent it and am waiting for a response. I'll report back with how their CS goes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I ordered a mid length socom contour, anxious to see how it shoots. Will be taking it to a 25 yard indoor to make sure it functions properly and then taking to a 100 yard to see how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]
So I heard back from them today. They sent me a RMA and return shipping label. The shipping label was unexpected and a pleasant surprise. Not bad CS so far.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Just a note about RFs customer service. They surprised me ! Sent them a upper  last week (Tuesday).
RF received it Monday the 5th. It was repaired that day, and shipped out back to me on the 6th.
It should arrive by fed-ex in the morning.
They called me after the repairs just to let me know what was done to correct the issue and to
see if I had any questions.

Great service from Radical Firearms !
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Any updates from those posting about range reports?  There are a lot of very curious people posting about their uppers/rifles and the barrel being the key component there I'm sure I'm not the only one anxiously following this thread!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Anymore updates from anyone?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I plan to shoot mine for the first time this weekend and will report back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been crazy busy and haven't even shipped my barrel to them. I also can't get my gas block off as the set screws stripped. I may have to send it in with the gas block and barrel nut in place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've been crazy busy and haven't even shipped my barrel to them. I also can't get my gas block off as the set screws stripped. I may have to send it in with the gas block and barrel nut in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be able to use an easy-out to remove the set screw.  I would just cut a groove in the set screw with a dremel and remove it that way...  Then replace with a clamp on.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You might be able to use an easy-out to remove the set screw.  I would just cut a groove in the set screw with a dremel and remove it that way...  Then replace with a clamp on.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already tried, did not work and only served to strip it more. I may take the dremel and just cut the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Already tried, did not work and only served to strip it more. I may take the dremel and just cut the gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just drill it out?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried that too, but I don't have access to my good tools (in another state) couldn't get my cheap drill bit to bite and and ended up breaking it. I ended up shipping it today. I don't really need the block and barrel nut.

Back on topic: Radical told me they would send a replacement. I'll most likely list it once I get it, with a link to this thread of course, as I've already ordered a different barrel for the build. The CS has been pretty good so far though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Just finished (for now) my RF barrel build tonight.
Anderson upper and lower receiver, PSA LBK with MOE stock (will be switching to BattleLink minimalist soon), AIM NiB bcg, generic A2 FH, Raptor CH, K2 grip, ALG 13" EMR M-lok, DD fixed sights (will be switching to folding and scoped if barrel proves worthy), BRT MicroPin block with steel "type A grooved" dowel pin (Loctite and staked screws AND pinned... no messing around here! haha) with BRT middy gas tube.
Will be testing it out shortly:

ETA: this is the first time I've pinned with a grooved dowel pin, and will never touch a taper pin again. Drill straight through 1/8 hole, slam in the dowel pin (.125 small OD, .135 large OD at other end) and it literally compresses to fit (they take a serious amount of pounding to seat them in) and that sucker is ROCK SOLID. So easy, and so secure (more so than even taper pins). I have no idea why more people do not do it this way, but I'll be doing it this way from here on out!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Took it out today for a function test. Worked flawless with both steel and brass cased. Grouped about 1.5" @ 25 yrds, freestanding (average for me). So mine's definitely not a dud. I'd say this was well worth the $65 (now I wish I had bought more!).
My build (as pictured above) came out to 6.3 lbs. This barrel is definitely a tad heavier than a Gov't profile. All in all... I'm VERY happy with it!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#42]
So they got my barrel in and are replacing it for me. Also, as stated above, I could not get my gas block off and sent it in with the barrel. I was willing to chalk the block and the barrel nut up as a loss.

Their CS rep called today and told me they were able to get it off, but since it looked beat up, where going to put a new one on the new barrel for me anyways. This is above and beyond what was necessary.

A+ CS
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#43]
More range reports please! Seeing a responsive & helpful CS is a big plus, but I'd really like to see how more of these barrels perform.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
ETA: this is the first time I've pinned with a grooved dowel pin, and will never touch a taper pin again. Drill straight through 1/8 hole, slam in the dowel pin (.125 small OD, .135 large OD at other end) and it literally compresses to fit (they take a serious amount of pounding to seat them in) and that sucker is ROCK SOLID. So easy, and so secure (more so than even taper pins). I have no idea why more people do not do it this way, but I'll be doing it this way from here on out!
View Quote

Do you mind sharing where you got the grooved dowel pin? I have a few gas blocks that came with pins that do not stay when installed in the gas block and would like to get a few to install.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you mind sharing where you got the grooved dowel pin? I have a few gas blocks that came with pins that do not stay when installed in the gas block and would like to get a few to install.

Thanks in advance!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely! I was going to order them from McMaster, but they wanted way more for them.
Found them (USA made) on amazon (of all places! haha)
$9 per 25 pack!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MKN3ME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work fantastic (you must have a straight, NON taper, 1/8" drilled hole)! And don't get frustrated with pounding them in, they are made to compress, and it takes considerable pounding to make that happen (rest assured, that thing will NOT come out on you). This size will leave slightly less than 1/8" out on each side when fully seated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Absolutely! I was going to order them from McMaster, but they wanted way more for them.
$9 per 25 pack!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MKN3ME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work fantastic (you must have a straight, NON taper, 1/8" drilled hole)! And don't get frustrated with pounding them in, they are made to compress, and it takes considerable pounding to make that happen (rest assured, that thing will NOT come out on you). This size will leave slightly less than 1/8" out on each side when fully seated.
View Quote

Thank you very much!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thank you very much!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$9 per 25 pack!

Thank you very much!!!

No problem! Keep me posted how it works out. I guarantee once you do it, you'll ask yourself why you didn't a LONG time ago! It's that easy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally shot mine for the first time today, 25 yard indoor range and it ran 100%. Put AE 55 FMJ, PPU 55 FMJ,  and 10 rounds of MK262 through it. Probably 200 rounds total in about 30-45 mins of shooting. Will be running a 100 yard test for accuracy evaluation hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Do they make a .300blk and does anyone know where they're in stock if so?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Here are some samples of groups I am getting with my Radical Firearms 16" Mid Length SOCOM.

American Eagle XM855 trying to get sighted in:

After a few more shots down range:

Here is a group with ZQI 62gr

I do not have any "match grade" ammo but here is a group with some Federal Fusion 62gr

All shot from a bench using front bags only, 50 yards, old Bushnell 2-7X scope at 7X

I'm happy with this Black Friday buy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top