BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I might be wrong, but I think soaking the stuck mess with any liquid will cause the wood to swell and make your problem worse. In addition, applying enough heat to  have flames coming out of the gas port probably won't be good for the barrel.
I guess you didn't think my idea was any good (see pg. 2).
Oh well, good luck. If nothing else I guess you can always replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I might be wrong, but I think soaking the stuck mess with any liquid will cause the wood to swell and make your problem worse. In addition, applying enough heat to  have flames coming out of the gas port probably won't be good for the barrel.

I'm just afraid of putting anything as hard or harder than the barrel in there.

edit: The hoppes went down about a quarter inch overnight so I guess it's working it's way in. I'm going from the patch end so I don't know if it will even get to the wooden dowels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just afraid of putting anything as hard or harder than the barrel in there.

edit: The hoppes went down about a quarter inch overnight so I guess it's working it's way in. I'm going from the patch end so I don't know if it will even get to the wooden dowels.

Liquid soaking in to that stuff will only make it worse.  If you burned some stuff try pushing it out now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Liquid can cause the wood to swell.

pat
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
It's Probably a little late for this advice but Bortech's Eliminator bore cleaner starts dissolving USGI and regular cotton patches after it soaks into them for a few minutes....  If you would have pored a table spoon of that stuff in there your patch may have just fell out.

I don't think that it would be a good idea for you to try now though, with all of the other chemicals in the bore.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. May have been some help
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm just really regretting seconding the dowel recommendation.

I've always just used a cleaning rod - and now I see I was lucky.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's Probably a little late for this advice but Bortech's Eliminator bore cleaner starts dissolving USGI and regular cotton patches after it soaks into them for a few minutes....  If you would have pored a table spoon of that stuff in there your patch may have just fell out.

I don't think that it would be a good idea for you to try now though, with all of the other chemicals in the bore.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. May have been some help

The other chemical's won't matter after a day or two.  Try this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, the Boreteck not withstanding,

you have a Steel barrel

In teh steel barrel you have
1) a cotton patch
2) some wood dowling

Since you think the barrel is a goner, you should go to a metal supply shop, get a piece of steel rod that will fit the .223, then chamfer the end and hammer the piss out of it, after all, what do you have to lose?

or...

Take it to a machine shop, ask them to chuck the barrel end in a lathe and using a long drill bit, ream out the wood from the muzzel end. What do you have to lose?

or...

Go to Home Depot, in the electrical section are long drill bits for running wire.  Mine sells a very small diameter drill bit that will fit a .223.  Chuck it up and go to town! What do you have to lose?

Putting any fluids in it has done nothing but swell the wood, so by now it's hammer, drill or die tryin.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, the Boreteck not withstanding,

you have a Steel barrel

In teh steel barrel you have
1) a cotton patch
2) some wood dowling

Since you think the barrel is a goner, you should go to a metal supply shop, get a piece of steel rod that will fit the .223, then chamfer the end and hammer the piss out of it, after all, what do you have to lose?

or...

Take it to a machine shop, ask them to chuck the barrel end in a lathe and using a long drill bit, ream out the wood from the muzzel end. What do you have to lose?

or...

Go to Home Depot, in the electrical section are long drill bits for running wire.  Mine sells a very small diameter drill bit that will fit a .223.  Chuck it up and go to town! What do you have to lose?

Putting any fluids in it has done nothing but swell the wood, so by now it's hammer, drill or die tryin.

He thinks the barrel is gone but I'm not so sure.  If he could get a long drill bit less than .22 caliber he could wrap it in tape except for the last 1/2 inch and try that.  (It's risky.)
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I still say, try freezing it first, if that does not work, try burning it out. Im sure the wood and patch have a much lower burn temp than the BBl. I also agree with those who said the BBl is still good. It's steel, how can wood and paper have damaged it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, we are all anxiously waiting the results of this dilemma.

Glad I have BOTD to pass the time between posts here.  

What about bleach?  As long as you haven't used any ammonia (like sweets) maybe bleach would dissolve the patch.

I know I left a pair of jeans in a bucket with water and bleach and forgot about them.  Like 3 days later, I pulled them out and it was like picking up wet tissue paper they had dissolved so much.  

Any other chemical ideas that will eat the organics, guys?  (wood, cotton)?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah, we are all anxiously waiting the results of this dilemma.

Glad I have BOTD to pass the time between posts here.  

What about bleach?  As long as you haven't used any ammonia (like sweets) maybe bleach would dissolve the patch.

I know I left a pair of jeans in a bucket with water and bleach and forgot about them.  Like 3 days later, I pulled them out and it was like picking up wet tissue paper they had dissolved so much.  

Any other chemical ideas that will eat the organics, guys?  (wood, cotton)?

I don't know what bleach would do to the chrome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you, by any chance, thought to report this to Otis? With so many soldiers and P.D.'s using 223, and Otis kits, I would be willing to bet that this problem has crossed their desk before.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I took the barrel to a smith. He worked on it for awhile and he got a bit of the wood closer to the muzzle out and that was it. He said that even though putting liquid in was going to cause the wood to swell, my only chance was to put the barrel in a vise muzzle down and fill it with penetrating oil and see if it would work its way through. When it started to come out the muzzle, plug it, refill the barrel and let it sit and soak and then whack on it. I did this for three days and nothing came out. I tapped at the blockage from the chamber end and it felt as solid as ever. It seriously feels like I'm hitting a piece of steel in there, no movement or give or anything.

At that point, I deemed the barrel a loss and decided to take riskier action now that I figured I wasn't going to be able to save it. I bought I nice long drill bit, used tape about the bit area to keep it centered in the bore, and drilled from the muzzle into the mess. This is when I realized just how bad this all was. There was no way any of this was coming out using any other method. I don't know what combined to lock this stuff in there but even after drilling down through everything, from the muzzle and chamber, I still cannot see light through the barrel and it is still all stuck to the sides of the bore. It's f*#&ed, plain and simple.

Anyone want a barrel on the cheap?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I took the barrel to a smith. He worked on it for awhile and he got a bit of the wood closer to the muzzle out and that was it. He said that even though putting liquid in was going to cause the wood to swell, my only chance was to put the barrel in a vise muzzle down and fill it with penetrating oil and see if it would work its way through. When it started to come out the muzzle, plug it, refill the barrel and let it sit and soak and then whack on it. I did this for three days and nothing came out. I tapped at the blockage from the chamber end and it felt as solid as ever. It seriously feels like I'm hitting a piece of steel in there, no movement or give or anything.

At that point, I deemed the barrel a loss and decided to take riskier action now that I figured I wasn't going to be able to save it. I bought I nice long drill bit, used tape about the bit area to keep it centered in the bore, and drilled from the muzzle into the mess. This is when I realized just how bad this all was. There was no way any of this was coming out using any other method. I don't know what combined to lock this stuff in there but even after drilling down through everything, from the muzzle and chamber, I still cannot see light through the barrel and it is still all stuck to the sides of the bore. It's f*#&ed, plain and simple.

So are you saying you drilled all the way through and you still can't see light???  I don't see how this could be.  I would think if you are this far along and you got all the way through a jag would work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Could this possibly be real...

I mean seriously, how hard is it to knock out a patch with a cleaning rod
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll take it.  PM me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Tape the entire length of the bit!!!

OK I guess the crown is the least of your worries. Re-tape the drill and drill it again. Nothing is making this stuff cosmically adhere to the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#19]
If it's past the gas port, how about a clip full of blanks, and old tire to tie the rifle to, and a looooooong piece of string?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If it's past the gas port, how about a clip full of blanks, and old tire to tie the rifle to, and a looooooong piece of string?

We're trying to help the guy.  You could try compressed air if you have not drilled all the way through.  If you have then I would try a jag.  I'm almost certain if you have a hole all the way through a jag would work.

BTW: It's a MAG full of blanks not a clip.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been following this thread for weeks.

Could we get an update on the "patch from hell"?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've been following this thread for weeks.

Could we get an update on the "patch from hell"?

see bottom of page 3
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Man this was an awesome, suspenseful story !! If I were you I would use a jag instead of that sewing needle type attachment from now on, and cut the patches down a bit so they arent so tight. I wonder if compressed air or a blank would have blown the patch out in the very beginning.Sorry you lost a barrel  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for your condolences. Lost a barrel, gained some knowledge so I don't screw up another. I've already figured out how I'm going to use this little "mistake" to turn my one AR into three so it isn't all bad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#25]
If you haven't already gotten rid of the barrel, I'll take it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top