User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So to make these things the correct way, tehy would need to be made from Inconel?  What does that material cost?

About $15 a pound depending on the alloy, yea it's expensive stuff.  You'll get killed on the machine time too, the surface footage you can run on it is LOW.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The design changes we made with the KX3 were for a reason, not needing an adaptor was one of them.

The cone will still function just fine with the erosion that I see in the pictures here. The tip of the CM cone will get blasted but holds up better.

Todd
Noveske Rifleworks
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
are the kx3 brakes supplied with the same cone as the ones having problems with erosion?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd clean mine every time I cleaned the rifle, however. Excessive carbon fouling on the cone leads to a decrease in the ability of the device to suppress flash.

Yeah, the carbon comes off in bigger flakes and then it appears as sparks in the muzzle gas.

I'd imagine that the cone erosion is something that happens most severe in the first 500-1000 rounds, and then it slows down.  I'be only got about a 1000 in my, but it is on a 16" barrel.  The one we ran on an 11.5 showed a lot more erosion, and it probably had fewer rounds than mine.

if you want to know the real lifespan of one, put on it a 7.5 barrel.  That's harsh...

Brett

i have mine on a 7.5

but dont know if the kx3 has the same problem though. will be finding out this weekend when a case goes through it
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I received the replacement cone today. I'm no expert but it does look like it will hold up well. I will not be able to try it until next weekend or so.

Mine is on an 11.5" BTW.
This is after an estimated 1500 to 2000 rounds. I put another 400 through it last weekend but have not checked it out yet. If it is dramatically different I will post another picture.

To be fair, I will also post pics of the new one as it ages.

This is the OLD cone.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It  eliminates muzzle flash for low light Coyote hunting, and concentrates  the muzzle blast forward so I no longer need hearing protection while hunting & predator calling!!!

You should use hearing protection. Your ears are being damaged. It is almost 160dB at the ear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Man you must be deaf, the Krink FH is still very loud, enough to irreversably damage your hearing
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, about 100 times as much sound intensity as the amount which is safe without hearing protection.

(100 times is not a guess, I mean literally 100 times).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
HUH..............................
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Ky_Bob,

Do you have a pic of the cleaned cone and the errosion at the opening?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Just for the record I don't think that erosion matters until the straight part of the cone is gone. I bet that  would take 20,000 rounds. Consider it consumable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
He's deaf . That is why the Krink is not loud anymore
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey Ky_Bob,

Do you have a pic of the cleaned cone and the errosion at the opening?

Actually it does not look all that different. The carbon around the opening is very light and thin, probablt sort of self cleaning if you think about it.

I took a knife and tried to chip off some of the carbon in the opening area and hit metal immediately.

Bob
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top