BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you done much night shooting with the light?  Unlike most folks here I would recommend not mounting a light at 12:00, because after you fire a couple rounds the light will illuminate the gunsmoke to the point that you will have difficulty seeing your target.  With the light at 6:00 the muzzle will cast a shadow in the gas cloud that will allow you to see through it easily.  You just need to get the light closer to the muzzle to reduce the shadow.  I would get a 13"-15" free float handguard that the suppressor will fit inside of.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Use a Gear Sector 6P mount and mount it on the top rail with the light to the right side of the rail.  Should mount up high enough to cast the shadow down to the 7-8 Oclock position.

They come up on the EE quite a bit for $30-40 shipped.

Both of these rifles use the Surefire 6P lights and are mounted to the top of the rail with the light offset to the right side.  They are out of my field of view through my red dots.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Mount another light on the opposite side. ILLUMINATE ALL THE THINGS
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
get a shorter Can, USE NVG's and you wont need or care much about the pattern of the light as yu ought to be using an IR illuminator or get a longer rail or get a PEQ 15 and use the IR illuminator and ditch the surefire
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mount the light so it is at the 11 O'clock position and put a pressure switch at the 12 O'clock position.

This will shift the shadow into the lower right hand side of the weapon and allow for better heads up illuminating with the light
Problem solved.

I also agree, mount the optic to the upper. Rail systems do move and will have an impact on POA/POI.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you done much night shooting with the light?  Unlike most folks here I would recommend not mounting a light at 12:00, because after you fire a couple rounds the light will illuminate the gunsmoke to the point that you will have difficulty seeing your target.  With the light at 6:00 the muzzle will cast a shadow in the gas cloud that will allow you to see through it easily.  You just need to get the light closer to the muzzle to reduce the shadow.  I would get a 13"-15" free float handguard that the suppressor will fit inside of.
View Quote
You should be moving to a different spot after a brief use of the light. Not standing in one place with the light on and emptying a magazine.

Flash on, boom boom boom, flash off, move. You don't get clouds of smoke obscuring your view this way.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I took a thorntail off a seldom used AR and swapped it over to the SBR that is only ran suppressed.  A simple solution to a trivial issue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
IWC Thorntail mount.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top