AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just figured I'd post a few pics to show the kind of MINOR modification it took to get them all dropping free and easy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3302422631_5920e4c5b7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3303253530_9d31df60f1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3303253000_6257112384.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3302422457_26a1bdba59_o.jpg

I just used a sanding bit on a dremel and smoothed a very thin strip on either side of the spine. Now they all work perfectly. It's laughable how little plastic i sanded away to get this result.

That is the area in question that can have some issues on some receivers. We are only talking a thousandths so it is easy to fix with a knife or fine sand paper. Our engineers have a fix for this on our end and are working to put it into production in the next week.

Nice.

In before that one cock bag chimes in about Magpul using customers as their R&D dummies.

When I'm done squirreling away 50 USGI magazines, I'll start on 50 PMAGs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just figured I'd post a few pics to show the kind of MINOR modification it took to get them all dropping free and easy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3302422631_5920e4c5b7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3303253530_9d31df60f1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3303253000_6257112384.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3302422457_26a1bdba59_o.jpg

I just used a sanding bit on a dremel and smoothed a very thin strip on either side of the spine. Now they all work perfectly. It's laughable how little plastic i sanded away to get this result.

That is the area in question that can have some issues on some receivers. We are only talking a thousandths so it is easy to fix with a knife or fine sand paper. Our engineers have a fix for this on our end and are working to put it into production in the next week.

Out of the kettle and into the fire.  

First dimensionally they were too thick  front to back now its side to side.  You guys must be banging your heads.  Best of luck, you can't please everyone.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
mustang, please note GGreen–– he has a Colt.  that seems to challenge your argument.

Colt Military and Colt Commercial rifles are not built at the same plant and do not seem to be built to the same specifications unfortuantely...

Justin Beard
Magpul Industries
Tech Support / Customer Service

That one I cannot agree with since I read an article on M1911forum.org where a site staff member visited the Colt factory and was given the tour. Colt's Manufacturing purchases the civilian Match Target rifles from Colt's Defense (the buildings are right next to each other) and sells them to their distributors. Colt's Defense rifles (the LE line) are made on the same line as the Colt's MFG "civilian" rifles and all are made on the same lines as the government M4s. Colt is not a large operation and they do not have different plants that make different rifles.

ETA - This is in no way trying to be a dick to you, Justin.

I thought that Colt lowers were made by another manufacturer (CMT)and had their roll marks on them?

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys need to buy in spec lowers and then you won't have problems.

Truth is....Not everyone has the extra cash to buy Colts,or Larue type of quality. We do our best
to buy what will work, Some can buy 100 mags at a time or $1200 scopes with $300 rings, and
then they're are some of us that buying 2 mags a month is tough because we have to feed
a family. If PMags want to cater to Colt, fine. We don't need someone to tell us to buy "Good" Lowers.
How do you think that makes all the other venders that SUPPORT THIS SITE feel? Sorry for
yelling, but I'm one of those guys that could barely scrape up enough for a homebuilt AR. And it
works, and I won't trade it because someones Mag says it's not to spec.

It is pretty simple. Manufacturers need to use a set of parameters for their designs. The most obvious choice in this case is a USGI mil spec lower. Does it make sense for Magpul to go out and design a magazine around the 97 variations of a non mil spec lower? No. They designed it around a known set of values.

It also helps that some of their largest customers use mil spec lowers.

You guys should not get upset with Magpul because their products do not fit your out of spec receivers. You should be upset that the receiver you bought was not manufactured to the standards. If other manufacturers used proper QC, then a lot of you guys would not have this issue.

everyones else magazine fits everyones reciever, I guess we should throw away all our stuff and only buy what fits PMags.
So everybody please send me your out of spec, suspected out of spec or if someone thinks it might be out of spec stuff.
This way I can repay everyone that has given me great information and helped me while I built my AR. Out of gratitude, I will
take the responsibility of disposing of your possibly out of spec stuff so you can buy more inspec stuff to fit your PMags.
Everyone of my USGI mags drop free, empty.
The solution is very simple, use what works for you. If Pmags work, use'm, If they don't, use something else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
mustang, please note GGreen–– he has a Colt.  that seems to challenge your argument.

Colt Military and Colt Commercial rifles are not built at the same plant and do not seem to be built to the same specifications unfortuantely...

Justin Beard
Magpul Industries
Tech Support / Customer Service

That one I cannot agree with since I read an article on M1911forum.org where a site staff member visited the Colt factory and was given the tour. Colt's Manufacturing purchases the civilian Match Target rifles from Colt's Defense (the buildings are right next to each other) and sells them to their distributors. Colt's Defense rifles (the LE line) are made on the same line as the Colt's MFG "civilian" rifles and all are made on the same lines as the government M4s. Colt is not a large operation and they do not have different plants that make different rifles.

ETA - This is in no way trying to be a dick to you, Justin.

I thought that Colt lowers were made by another manufacturer (CMT)and had their roll marks on them?

No. Colt bought Diemaco in Canada, renamed it Colt Canada and makes their own receivers.

For over 30 years Colt Canada (formerly Diemaco)...
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a Pmag in your pocket or are you glad to see me??
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This comes up about once a week.  Alot of these lowers are tighter in the mag' well dep't.  Pmags (as Dr Drake has noted) are made to work with Colt spec lowers.  The finish work on some of these other lowers just isn't up to snuff. Alot of people grind on the Pmags, but I'd say ditch the substandard lower and get a good one.

Like the LMT lower that I have that won't drop Pmags
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is that a Pmag in your pocket or are you glad to see me??

Now thats some funny shit right there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
i just dont see how people try to justify p-mags not dropping from 95% of the lower manufactures products. they say the lowers are out of spec???   well those lowers work with the mags (USGI) designed for that type of rifle dont they???    you CANNOT design a product to work with something and blame the something for your product not working! Your design must take that something into account while being designed!   its like someone buying .40 cal ammo for a 9mm sig p226 and then blaming sig for the bullets not fitting!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
With three double star lowers, and one cmmg lower (same manufacturer, different stamp).... I can say I have 100% drop free with non-modified PMags.

These lowers are not consecutive numbers or anything.

Maybe these lowers are made with mag wells on the large side of the spec.... I don't know... All I know is they work fine. It is why I stick with CMMG or DS lowers...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So everybody please send me your out of spec, suspected out of spec or if someone thinks it might be out of spec stuff.
This way I can repay everyone that has given me great information and helped me while I built my AR. Out of gratitude, I will take the responsibility of disposing of your possibly out of spec stuff so you can buy more inspec stuff to fit your PMags.
Everyone of my USGI mags drop free, empty.
The solution is very simple, use what works for you. If Pmags work, use'm, If they don't, use something else.
Does this mean you will replace my suspected out of spec lower with an inspec (suspected) Colt lower?  Good, pm me with your addy and I'll send my DS lower right off.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top