BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...BTW, if the SIR isn't officially adopted, does that mean there's something wrong with it?

Chris

View Quote

no.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
LORD STONER, NO Dicky boy here and your unbriddled ignorance and hatred of competition is showing again. It's always interesting how a certain very few Co. personel/groupies always try to minimise and make personal attacks at what the real R&D companies do, and not just at ARMS. Since you never had this one of a kind belt fed rigid frames from about 1990 in your hands and the dimentions were never published, you wouldn't know, but would say BS any way. In fact Ft. benning Inf. school, Picatinny and Crane in the past have all had this belt fed for concept R&D. It was never made for production. It was not as wide as your RIS OR RAS with panels, that's another reason how I know your full of crap. The handguards fliped up like gull wings, and in fact the carbine version is what was chosen by Picatinny because it free floated the barrel, and had all the other things available I listed as options. ARMS may may possibly have the same old brochure that I have.
None of us know what the discounts are that Uncle gets, but all military suppliers are required to certify that they have given the US gov't the best price for a particular product. With so many gov't purchasing channels, no one knows who has bought what from any company, and only that company would know to a point, as many things are bought from many dif. sources, and sold thru various distribution channels and contracts. I seem to remember pic's on here with SIR's in Afg. being used by personel attached to the State Dept. protecting the new head guy from that country. I'm sure that the purchasing agent in Germany was not involved in that too, or the SIR's just shown on parade with Spec ops troops in the Phillipines, so much for that  line of nonsense about who has sold what. I'd like to get the article that is in German, but I have enough problems with englich:)
Jack

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, if the SIR isn't officially adopted, does that mean there's something wrong with it?
View Quote

Someone with over 1,000 posts should understand the mind set of this site by now [;D]

It's always seemed to me that being like G.I.JOE is what owning/modifying the AR is all about for many of the folks here.

I can even remember one member posting how he wanted to sell his SIR because he was not seeing them on the nightly news!

Why do you think folks get in such a tizzy when an XM8 thread appears?

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LORD STONER, NO Dicky boy here and your unbriddled ignorance and hatred of competition is showing again. It's always interesting how a certain very few Co. personel/groupies always try to minimise and make personal attacks at what the real R&D companies do, and not just at ARMS. Since you never had this one of a kind belt fed rigid frames from about 1990 in your hands and the dimentions were never published, you wouldn't know, but would say BS any way. In fact Ft. benning Inf. school, Picatinny and Crane in the past have all had this belt fed for concept R&D. It was never made for production. It was not as wide as your RIS OR RAS with panels, that's another reason how I know your full of crap. The handguards fliped up like gull wings, and in fact the carbine version is what was chosen by Picatinny because it free floated the barrel, and had all the other things available I listed as options. ARMS may may possibly have the same old brochure that I have.
None of us know what the discounts are that Uncle gets, but all military suppliers are required to certify that they have given the US gov't the best price for a particular product. With so many gov't purchasing channels, no one knows who has bought what from any company, and only that company would know to a point, as many things are bought from many dif. sources, and sold thru various distribution channels and contracts. I seem to remember pic's on here with SIR's in Afg. being used by personel attached to the State Dept. protecting the new head guy from that country. I'm sure that the purchasing agent in Germany was not involved in that too, or the SIR's just shown on parade with Spec ops troops in the Phillipines, so much for that  line of nonsense about who has sold what. I'd like to get the article that is in German, but I have enough problems with englich:)
Jack

View Quote

Well Jack, once again your wrong. I did get to handle your Rigid frame, which you personally handed me and at the time I didn't have enough balls to tell you what I really thought of your bulky monstrosity. The only thing worse then your Rigid Frame, is the Chauchat or the M60 GPMG. I'm glad to see that you slimed down the abortion for the production SIR, but you still got a way to go.

In regards to the Philippines, just because a small company (FERFRANS) bought a small number of SIR for their Spec Ops teams doesn't mean you have the best handguard on the market. We all know who's the best.

Keep your powder dry,

ls
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as the SIR lacks the continuous same plane rail (as the receiver), it will still be in the stone age concerning that aspect no matter how many other advanced features it has.  It doesn't matter if that is what makes it so strong design wise, it's a feature that is not wanted at this time by the military, or some other users.  It's great that it has such advanced electronics features, but those are not required at this time (though they will be in the future). Advanced features do not make up for perceived shortcomings.  The basics must be met first, and the features asked for now to meet contract requirements.  Perhaps the SIR was created before it's time and we will all have to catch up first.  Until then, there are other options that fit the current bill, drawbacks and all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I CAN GUARANTEE THAT I NEVER HANDED YOU ANYTHING ESPECIALY THAT BELT FED AS I NEVER HAD IT TO HAND AROUND! WATCH OUT YOU DON'T TALK TO THAT IMAGINARY RABBIT TOO MUCH OR LISTEN THE THOSE VOICES IN YOUR HEAD:)
Jack
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LORD STONER, NO Dicky boy here...It's always interesting how a certain very few Co. personel/groupies...
Jack

View Quote

I LOVE THIS, COMPANIES HAVE GROUPIES! Give me a break.
So I guess 3rdPanzer is the Groupiest of the Groupies as the absolute a.r.m.s. know it all & advocate?
Let me also say that I may not know Jack from Dick, and I have no idea who Lord Stoner is either.  Honest.
However, if what Dick is spurting is true, then L.S. is a KAC Groupie by what I am reading here(and our first if I might add).
Now serious stuff.
I think the rail systems as we know them (USSOCOM's M4 RIS and Army M4 & M5 RAS's) are the end of the AR evolution. It just would not be cost effective to switch to a radically different and more costly AR designs that offer (at best) so little, and ambiguous, "improvement."
Our next rifle/carbine will not have a gas tube that dumps shit directly into the breech area, and it will have a stock that folds (reducing OA length by 1/3rd) so the barrel can be as long as possible for exterior ballistic reasons.
The lights, lasers, and etc. will be "built in", not collaged on an exterior skeleton aparatus.
This new weapon will not fire conventional brass cased ammunition...
The era of the "modular" AR is coming to an end...that is to say, Dick missed "das boat."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave,

Your killing me.  Do you mean to tell us that you don't not see a worthwhile advantage to the freefloat, the modified bolts, etc to justify an upgrade?

OR

Is this 10+years away

Damn you LS I wanted to be the first KAC groupie [ROFL2]

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not one to be in a position to say anything with any level of authority... however I would have believed that the ability to attach or remove things like lights and lasers would have been advantageous to having a system that has them integrated in to the rifle without the ability to remove them and/or switch them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
All companies obviously have followers and some go to the next level of a goupie, and make personal attacks instead of discussing product performance. Some of those companies not only seen to encourage it, but even take part, and then deny it, as just evidenced above.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Hijack!!!!

The only thing worse then your Rigid Frame, is the Chauchat or the M60 GPMG.
View Quote
Don't any of you people EVER go bad-mouthing my beloved '60 by putting it in the same category as the chauchat, damnit!

You may now continue...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah how demeaning to the Chauchat [nana]

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah how demeaning to the Chauchat [nana]

View Quote
I shall graciously pretend I didn't read this, lol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a C-6/M240 gunner for two years [0:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the rail systems as we know them (USSOCOM's M4 RIS and Army M4 & M5 RAS's) are the end of the AR evolution. It just would not be cost effective to switch to a radically different and more costly AR designs that offer (at best) so little, and ambiguous, "improvement."
Our next rifle/carbine will not have a gas tube that dumps shit directly into the breech area, and it will have a stock that folds (reducing OA length by 1/3rd) so the barrel can be as long as possible for exterior ballistic reasons.
The lights, lasers, and etc. will be "built in", not collaged on an exterior skeleton aparatus.
This new weapon will not fire conventional brass cased ammunition...
The era of the "modular" AR is coming to an end...that is to say, Dick missed "das boat."
View Quote

The M16 series is far from extinction.  rail systems are just the beginning.   integrating all that crap inside would be retarded as new and better stuff is coming out every day.  a piston upper for the AR is not far off.

as for non brass cased ammo, it will be a long time before they make something thats infantry proof.

as for folding stocks, thats just more parts to lose or keep in stock for a feature whose benefits dont add up to the further logistical nightmare and cost.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was a C-6/M240 gunner for two years [0:)]
View Quote
I got out just before the '60 was beginning to be replaced. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a PITA to clean, and it was a bitch to hump around all the time (compared to a rifle). As far as function......mine went bangbangbang every time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All companies obviously have followers and some go to the next level of a [red]goupie[/red], and make personal attacks instead of discussing product performance. Some of those companies not only seen to encourage it, but even take part, and then deny it, as just evidenced above.
Jack
View Quote

Kev,

I'm not a Knight's Groupie, I'm [i]goupie[/i] ! Actually, you can be the President of the KAC fan club and I'll be a regional supporter.[:D]

My two favorite GPMG's are the M240G and a very close second with the PKM. [i]Sweet![/i]

ls
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The M16 series is far from extinction.  rail systems are just the beginning.   integrating all that crap inside would be retarded as new and better stuff is coming out every day.  a piston upper for the AR is not far off.
View Quote

If the Military wanted a piston upper, they'd have it by now. That might be a viable concept in the civilian market, but of the hundreds of designs submitted to Uncle Sugar in the past thirty+ years, it's still not a shelf item.

as for non brass cased ammo, it will be a long time before they make something thats infantry proof.
View Quote

Really? We'll see...

as for folding stocks, thats just more parts to lose or keep in stock for a feature whose benefits dont add up to the further logistical nightmare and cost.
View Quote

That might be the case with folders for the AR-series, but if you've ever held a SIG and its folding stock, you'de be in love, true love.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Clint and Dave,
I can only assume this is reference the item that was not in 5.56mm that was mentioned in Vero last X Mas?  You still killing me though

Good to know you guys are actually still busy designing not packing boxes.

LS, I will be the Canadian desk of the KAC Fan club [:D]

Clint - I have held and shot the Sig's 550,551,552 - still like my M16 derivatives...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Clint - I have held and shot the Sig's 550,551,552 - still like my M16 derivatives...
View Quote

Kevin,

I agree... From an accuracy / modularity / mechanical simplicity / etc standpoint, the M16 pattern is the business... I was referring to the folding stock itself on the SIG; It has no more parts than the M4's stock and locks up real solid-like (too bad it doesn't work with the M16's operating system).

...Clint
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#21]
i'd rather have a retractable stock with LOP adjustability to compensate for different shooting stances/clothing and gear than a folder that doesn't have an adjustable LOP.
MM

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i'd rather have a retractable stock with LOP adjustability to compensate for different shooting stances/clothing and gear than a folder that doesn't have an adjustable LOP.
MM

View Quote

Yep, me too!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#23]
If done right, you can have the best of both worlds.

ls

[img]http://www.zmweapons.com/images/5_pos_st.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dave,

Your killing me.  Do you mean to tell us that you don't not see a worthwhile advantage to the freefloat, the modified bolts, etc to justify an upgrade?

OR

Is this 10+years away

View Quote

What I am saying is that I don't think you will see a radical new rail system like the SIR or a stock like the MagPull, and a barrel mounted gas-piston model of the M16 ever widely fielded in the US Mil in one "new" package.
I think we will limit our expenditures to a few changes in hardware accessories, new stocks that retrofit without the help of an Armorer, simple/cost effective things like that.  Not a "new" rail system that provides only a 10% improvement at the cost of another SOPMOD Kit component otherwise able to attain a 30% or 60% improvement.  Or how about a Clip-On Night Sight that you right now have zero % capability?
We need a short weapon for in/out vehicle use with the longest barrel possible...therefore a true folding stock.  So if the stock folds to reduce O.L. by 1/3rd, then the moving parts will all be around the barrel and not prutruding into the stock like the AR.
The M16 has always required way to much TLC at the user maintenance level...been there...done that.  Give me something I don't need pipe cleaners and q-tips to clean.
Something new in a real bullet shooter (i.e., not an air-bursting grenade) is coming (3-5 years).  Its mechanism will be new (not M16).  I don't think it will even have a rail on the top, more likely a groove. Other features will be "built-in" modules.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
TALK ABOUT DOUBLE TALK< THE URX HAS TO BE SENT TOO KAC FOR INSTALATION TO GET IT INTO PERFECT ALIGNMENT WITH THE RECIEVER, BECAUSE ACCORDING TO KAC, THE US ARORERS WHOUDN"T BE ABLE TO GET IT INTO PERFECT ALIGHHNMENT. THEN WHEN IT'S ON IT'S JUST ANOTHER ALUM. RAILS EVERYWHERE, THAT THEIR STUCK WITH IN ONE SPOT. YES IT IS VERY RIGID, BUT SO IS THE LMT SYSTEM AND IT IS EVEN MORE REGID AND HAS THE QD BARRELS. IF SOMETHING IS TOO AVANCED FOR THE US MILITARY, THEN COLDBLURRR'S CONTINUOUS (I ONLY HAVE WHAT THEY NEED ARROGANCE), BETTER LOOK AGAIN!
JACK
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the MRP. It's my favorite of the fixed rail designs but I prefer the SIR's selective rails. We've got 2 that're used pretty damned hard and we've yet to have any problems with either.

One thing I don't like about the MRP (and FFRAS) is that if you damage a rail it's integral to the system and can't be replaced... So if you take a dive and your flashlight damages the rail when you hit the wrong way, you might be up sh*t creek. Other than that, the MRP is as rigid as they come, and the quick barrel change is awesome. I'd LOVE to see a SIR style upper handguard machined (with an upper rail that's the standard height) into an upper receiver that accepted the SIR lower. THAT would

And two things about the OT discussion going on here about next gen parts:

HK is NOT hedging all of their bets on the XM8. There is a gas-piston operated M16 upper that's in the running also, and multiple other items.

And about caseless ammo... Anyone remember the G11? HK already wasted untold millions on that project, and they've got a huge advantage in that area. They weren't scared to toss around cash for that, the XM8, the XM28, and all of these other pipe dreams, don't think that they'll hesitate to dump another $2 million into the caseless ammo department if it'll produce a winner.

It looks likes this new HK plant is being built for a reason, and its NOT for production of the XM8 in its current form.

They've got a LOT on the horizon, and it looks like they're going to surprise us all with some of the stuff they've developed.

BTW, I can honestly say that I'm NOT an HK fan. I wish the best of luck to ARMS, LMT, KAC, and all of the other companies trying to keep the M16 alive in its current form, but... If what HK is saying is true, the new piston operated upper, the XM8, and the AG36 are just to get the foot in the door.

When a solicitation for the M16 replacement comes about in a few years, they will be ready.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If done right, you can have the best of both worlds.
ls
[url]http://www.zmweapons.com/images/5_pos_st.jpg[/url]
View Quote

that ZM's a good start. something with a bit better cheek weld tho.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like the MRP. It's my favorite of the fixed rail designs but I prefer the SIR's selective rails. We've got 2 that're used pretty damned hard and we've yet to have any problems with either.

[red]One thing I don't like about the MRP (and FFRAS) is that if you damage a rail it's integral to the system and can't be replaced... So if you take a dive and your flashlight damages the rail when you hit the wrong way, you might be up sh*t creek. Other than that, the MRP is as rigid as they come, and the quick barrel change is awesome. I'd LOVE to see a SIR style upper handguard machined (with an upper rail that's the standard height) into an upper receiver that accepted the SIR lower. THAT would [/red]

And two things about the OT discussion going on here about next gen parts:

HK is NOT hedging all of their bets on the XM8. There is a gas-piston operated M16 upper that's in the running also, and multiple other items.

[red]And about caseless ammo... Anyone remember the G11? HK already wasted untold millions on that project, and they've got a huge advantage in that area. They weren't scared to toss around cash for that, the XM8, the XM28, and all of these other pipe dreams, don't think that they'll hesitate to dump another $2 million into the caseless ammo department if it'll produce a winner.[/red]

It looks likes this new HK plant is being built for a reason, and its NOT for production of the XM8 in its current form.

They've got a LOT on the horizon, and it looks like they're going to surprise us all with some of the stuff they've developed.

BTW, I can honestly say that I'm NOT an HK fan. I wish the best of luck to ARMS, LMT, KAC, and all of the other companies trying to keep the M16 alive in its current form, but... If what HK is saying is true, the new piston operated upper, the XM8, and the AG36 are just to get the foot in the door.

When a solicitation for the M16 replacement comes about in a few years, they will be ready.

-Cap'n
View Quote

Cap-

I totally agree with you. I love the concept of the MRP, but to put all the manufacturing cost in to one part is a bad idea. Bad manufacturing plan on LMT's behalf. Just imagine if they just machined 95% of the upper receiver and realize one machine cut was off tolerance, they would have to scrap the complete upper. I do like the idea of it being monolithic, but to achieve that doesn't have to be done with a solid piece of aluminum. It could be better done with a handguard that is married to the upper receiver. This allows the upper assembly to be "modular", lessening the risk of machine shop mishaps. Also, this would allow the operator to adapt the upper to the mission.

G11, who said anything about caseless ammunition? Coldblue only mentioned the elimination of conventional brass cased ammunition. There a number of ways to skin a cat. For example, what about Steyr, ARES and McDonnell Douglas? Eugene Stoner worked on a number of plastic cased cartridges, including telescoping ammunition. I believe plastic cased cartridges will be the next step for a future combat environment, unless someone make a cheap Pulse fired small arm.

ls
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TALK ABOUT DOUBLE TALK< THE URX HAS TO BE SENT TOO KAC FOR INSTALATION TO GET IT INTO PERFECT ALIGNMENT WITH THE RECIEVER, BECAUSE ACCORDING TO KAC, THE US ARORERS WHOUDN"T BE ABLE TO GET IT INTO PERFECT ALIGHHNMENT. JACK
View Quote

More of Dick's spittle...excuse me if I take a moment to wipe off my screen.

We (KAC) never said anything of the kind.  When we delivered the sample to Crane for SOPMOD-2, they got a wrench and a set of jaws (early version).
In fact, now that we have a pretty good-to-go solution for shop installation, we are building URX barrel nut wrenches and URX Vice Jaw Pairs for a US Military order.  The vice jaws are over 6-inches long and have a "v" track cut in them that not only clamps the UR rail and URX rail in perfect alignment, but secures the whole assembly for barrel nut torque as well.
The wrench is basically a tube with one end looking like a regular barrel nut, that other standard M16 Barrel Nut Wrenches attach to.
The vice jaws will also be found useful as a good way to hold the UR in a vice upsidedown for cleaning, etc.

My "hat's off" to Karl Lewis on his MRP.  He really listened to the Users and gave them exactly what they asked for. Obviously dick didn't (again) and got disqualified like way back when, when the picked the RIS over all comers.
Big question now is, since URX is still in the game (and I assume MRP) which will SOPMOD pick, if any?
I think they will stick with a system that maximizes standard supply system parts, but that also satisfies their operational requirement.
On the civilian side, how many of you own a Ruger Mini-14?  And if you do, how many spare upper receivers do you have for that lower?  Well, none I guess, right?  Or how about a new Ruger spare barrel you picked up at a local gun show, or bolts, or stock options.  So what I am saying here there is a "logistic & suply" reason the AR is so popular, besides being able to easily gun-smith it.
So although I know that there is "some" market out there for a MRP, I'm not sure how many thousands will sell.
Good luck Karl,
Your friend,
Dave Lutz
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top