Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:18:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:57:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigbore:

Originally Posted By Resq47:
www.carbonphoto.com/images/lurker.gif

Wanna try the demo when I get it, just stop in, you can mail it back to me when you're done.
Id like to get it to Mongo to try out too.

Mongo does waaaay more distance shooting than I, but yeah I'd like to see how it works.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:54:50 PM EDT
Interesting stock and discussion here.  

tag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 7:17:43 AM EDT by Victor]

Originally Posted By Victor:
I know you are in the business of selling things, I'm just in the business of pullin' the trigger.
Vic

I’m not in the business of selling things, I sell what I believe are good products.
I believe 10% of  AR owners do 90% of the shooting, I want my customers to be in 10%, but I know 90% of them never get their guns dirty.
Whenever something new comes out every dealer will push it as latest tactical cool thing to make a buck, and most will do so with little to no experience with the product, or how it will even be used, ie dealers whose post count exists only because of their adds in the EE.
This stock will sell, I’m sure.  Its built well, its cool, and the “90%ers”, are 90% of the market.  We’ve all seen the ARs with regular rifle scopes bolted directly to the receiver, with the eye piece 2” past the charging handle.   I don’t care who you are, you aren’t going to build a good position with that set up. They’ll buy the stock, the cheek piece will work fine. They’ll got the range, rest the rifle on the bi-pod,  sand bag under stock, and shoot several 3 shot groups at 100yds.  The best group will get cut out and posted in a thread here.
With the 90%, I always hope my customers they’ll want to develop into the 10%.  The 10% who want to learn how to properly shoot, build a good position, understand what “natural point of aim” is.  They need to see an AR is more than cutting out the best 100yd group, its laying in position and putting 20 shots in the right place at 300-600yds, or even 800-1000yds.
I’m skeptical of any new product.  The AR has been around for 40 some years, if a practical adjustable cheek rest is this simple, what took so long?
I’ll look at the stock, and I already have a list of people I’ll be lending to for testing.  If its good enough for the 10%, I’ll sell it, if not I wont be offering it, regardless of how many I could sell.  

Your points are well taken and I completely understand your "10%" comments.  Ya know over the years from one shooting school to another from Fed schools to civilian schools, Clint Smith stated it best when I heard him state, "there is no magic ninja dust to sprinkle on you or your gun when you attend this class, you must train."   There's NO MAGIC to this stock, but it WILL aid SOME of the 10% to maybe hold a bit steadier, aid to reduce fatigue over a long period of time which of course relates to better accuracy over the long haul for some who might spend extended periods behind the optic. (Sorry, winded sentence)...But the point is, I feel this stock WILL aid some of the 10%.  You are VERY correct to state "what took so long"?  Maybe the answer to that (for me anyway) is the HUGE accuracy improvement the AR has seen over the years. Let's face it, just 10-15 years ago, bolt guns RULED for extended ranges along with the stocks that came with them.  The 40 year old A2 stock was fine back then for the generic accuracy and NO spcialized optics to speak of back then.  The ONLY accuracy maintained semi-auto platform 15 - 20 years ago was the fifteen grand PSG, the SR followed on next. Now it seems every semi-custom AR platform built claims 1 moa or better, incredible for a 40 year old platform! So it seems logical now that a true precision AR type stock is developed.

In another post you questioned how many shooters are using NV on an AR?  I think MUCH more than you can possibly realize (in the 10% and now also in the commercial/civillain market) since huge accuracy improvements, rail systems and finally NVD sniper type scopes that have revolutionized night shooting !  I won't get into the 6.8 SPC debate, but I can confidently state with the latest NODS, I can bang man-size plates all night long at 500-600M! I am not banging my own chest here, too many OTHERS can out shoot me on any given day/night, but it's a prime example what a modern AR platform has done for night ops in itself. For me personally, I have waited NUMEROUS years, tried the (40 year old ) delta cheek rest early on, came up with my own contraptions to get my cheek up on the gun enough to peer through a Raptor, D-760 and a few others with tired and fatigued results.  Thus far the PRS works for me but I’m nobody in the big pond here.  Will the PRS make me a better shooter? Heck no? Will it aid me and the 10% to cut down fatigue for certain and specific set-ups? You bet!   It still begs the question though, “what took so long.?”
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:05 AM EDT
You would think that if there was a valid purpose for an adjustable stock on other rifles, such as the Sako TRG bolt-action sniper series, then that purpose is still just as valid on the AR platform when the rifle is put to similar use.

John
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 3:39:14 PM EDT by -Watcher-]

Originally Posted By Magpul:
-Watcher-, The Wlderness makes a QD attachment point that attaches to a standard loop. However we will see about doing a version that will attcept a QD point on the sling loop itself.

This option makes the PRS stock a bit more attractive for the project I have in mind for it.  Thing is, I have The Wilderness catalog no. 15 and have searched their website.  Granted, it's not the best organized site on the planet, but I couldn't find the above-mentioned adapter.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As for another post that guessed at retail cost, I don't really mind a <$250 price tag, particularly.  That is, if it does become available to the public in the pre-production form and it offers any chance of aiding me in skill.  Once mass production begins and some of the parts are replaced with spun nylon or somesuch, both the weight (28oz!) and price will be expected to go down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:29:12 PM EDT
I think that both of you (or all three, if you include Rich) have valid points.  And each of those points will be either less or more important to each individual shooter.  For example, using a LaRue SPR mount, I find that I am just a hair too low with any A2, SOPMOD, M93, or other standard AR stock.  I end up taking more of a chin weld (as Victor calls it).  Where I would prefer to have the stock up under my cheek bone.  So, I see the adjustable cheek pad as being a plus for me.  Or the riser for the M93, when it comes out (hint, hint).

As for the eye relief.  Rich mentioned that the front of the cheek pad is the exact distance that the charging handle extends from the receiver.  I always mount my scopes so that the eye piece is flush with the back of the rail on a flat top receiver.  Or just in front of the charging handle.  So, assuming that is the position of the scope, the distance between the eye piece and the tip of the cheek rest is the same distance between the eye piece and tip of the cheek rest on my AI rifle.  I tend to shoot with my cheek very close to the front of the rest, so I think the PRS will work for me.  But, I would also not have a problem making a 1/2" adjustment to the scope if it was necessary.  And that's my personal experience.

I look forward to the feedback from Bigbore and others.  But, if my estimations are correct, I think this stock will work well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:10:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Magpul:
Short of redesigning the upper receiver into a side charging handle, how do you suggest a solution to the problem?

People have been doing just fine with the $20 A1 and A2 stock for 40 years. With all the latest  improvements in optic mounts by LaRue(SPR-1.93 SPR-E), and others, its very easy to mount magnified optics at the various hights, and lengths of eye relief all but elimination the need for cheek pieces.
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/sprmounte.jpg

If the cheek riser works, then use it, if not you can dial flat and you are in the same situation cheek weld as an A2 stock (except the angle for the cheek is better on the PRS).

How much does this stock cost with the riser I wont be using?

Even if you only use it for night vision it is still better than nothing.

How many, out of 100 AR owners in the civilian market have night vision?

All this and we are not covering the dialled LOP adjustablity, sling options, club foot design, hourglass buttpad, and integral bottom rail that makes the stock a complete package.

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Rifle%20Modstock%20Clubfoot.jpg
$119 + $42 for the 5 position reveiver extension(if you dont allready have a mil-spec tube) for LOP adjustment.  
The integral bottom rail is neat, but whats the value add?

By all means test away, that is why we are sending them to dealers first, but keep in mind the whole package and what market it was designed to serve (field SPR type rifles that currently use an A2 or Crane type stock)

I'll consider what it was designed for vs its practicality in terms of cost to the other options out there.  It will get tested,  if all goes well each person I give it to to test will want to buy one.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I was originally sold on the PRS at the last SHOT Show but since then I have bought several SPR mounts which eliminated the old eye relief and height problem. I am currently using SOPMOD and VLTOR stocks and see no reason to switch because they offer the proper cheek weld and are adjustable for LOP.

This does not mean I can not see a use for the PRS, just not one for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
I for one would like to try it out.  

From the pics of it though I would have to agree with bigbore on the adj cheekpiece being to far back.  From my experience smallbore shooting (I know 2 different worlds) with an adj cheekpiece I found that I prefered my head being farther forward than would allow with the PRS.  Not that it is any fault of Magpulls.  The the recoil system and charging handle somewhat limit how far forward the cheekpiece can be.  Even by having a side charging upper the buffer system would still force the cheek piece to be farther back.  One way to fix that would be to to have the cheekpiece be an upside down U over the forward part of the stock with the adjustments made in the rear where they are currently.  You would just have to make sure that the forward part was study enough on the cheekpiece and didn't not flex/wobble.  This would also make your hand be closer to your face instead of farter forward which at least for me would be a more comfortable/sturdy position.

Of course this is all just from looking at pictures, seeing/testing it in person could be completely different.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:53:09 AM EDT
tag. looks great, cant wait to get my hands on one

Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 3:11:58 PM EDT by amuroray]

That's a nice SHOTDOT.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:07:34 PM EDT
Short Dot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:37:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:15:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 7:16:51 AM EDT by vmpglenn]
tango alfa golf
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:22:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:34:14 PM EDT
What do they weigh?

What range of length of pull do they provide?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:16:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MSTN:
M.S.T.N.'S MAGPUL PRS HAS ARRIVED. I LIKE IT EVEN BETTER THAN THE PROTOTYPE SHOWN AT THE 2005 SHOT SHOW. THE FIT AND FINISH ARE SIMPLY SUPERB. I THINK THE FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, TO THOSE WILLING TO LISTEN.

FOR STARTERS, WE'RE GOING TO PUT IT ON ONE OF PAUL'S 6.5 GRENDELS. WILL GET BACK WITH SOME PIX.

ALSO, THERE'S A LOCAL GUY WHO HAS A 10 YEAR OLD SR-25 FOR SALE ... WISH I'D NEVER PARTED WITH MY FIRST ONE ... OR MAYBE I COULD JUST BUILD UP A CUSTOM AR-10 LONG-RANGE RIG ...

THIS STOCK WILL BE A LOT OF THINGS TO A LOT OF DIFFERENT FOLKS. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT IT IS TO ME:

INSPIRATION !!!

THANKS, RICH. OH, AND PLEASE DOUBLE MY LONG-STANDING ORDER. I AM SOLD ON IT.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

I would have to say that is a pretty good endorsement...  

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 5:59:49 PM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:09:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MSTN:
M.S.T.N.'S MAGPUL PRS HAS ARRIVED. I LIKE IT EVEN BETTER THAN THE PROTOTYPE SHOWN AT THE 2005 SHOT SHOW. THE FIT AND FINISH ARE SIMPLY SUPERB. I THINK THE FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, TO THOSE WILLING TO LISTEN.

FOR STARTERS, WE'RE GOING TO PUT IT ON ONE OF PAUL'S 6.5 GRENDELS. WILL GET BACK WITH SOME PIX.

ALSO, THERE'S A LOCAL GUY WHO HAS A 10 YEAR OLD SR-25 FOR SALE ... WISH I'D NEVER PARTED WITH MY FIRST ONE ... OR MAYBE I COULD JUST BUILD UP A CUSTOM AR-10 LONG-RANGE RIG ...

THIS STOCK WILL BE A LOT OF THINGS TO A LOT OF DIFFERENT FOLKS. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT IT IS TO ME:

INSPIRATION !!!

THANKS, RICH. OH, AND PLEASE DOUBLE MY LONG-STANDING ORDER. I AM SOLD ON IT.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Those were the two big things that I picked up on...  To each their own...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 2:09:11 AM EDT by MSTN]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 11:13:08 PM EDT by Humminbird]
I can definitely see the need for an adjustable cheekpiece, adjustable length of pull and the other features this stock offers. I have practiced long range shooting for the past three years, and in my limited experience the art boils down to two key words: comfort and consistency. If you can get both of these right, you are that much closer to shooting good groups all the time with a good gun. If on the other hand you experience any sort of discomfort while behind the trigger, it is very likely that you are not doing everything exactly the same from shot to shot. Fatigue takes over and you need to change stance to relax some parts of your body and get back to your "comfort zone". At this point consistency is out the window and your result suffer.

I use the Larue SPR mount and the LMT SOPMOD stock. This combo offer GREAT cheekweld when I'm shooting in standing or kneeling position. When I shoot in the prone position, I always feel I'm a bit low and need to change my cheekweld higher. It is very hard to get consistent cheek weld from shot to shot if I can't rest my cheek naturally, so adjustability would be welcome. Also, I like to curl my hand underneath the stock and push the stock against my shoulder for extra stability. The shape of the LMT stock is not well suited for this, and it gets very uncomfortable in the long run. The PRS offers a shape similar to most precision rifle stocks and makes this position easier. It also has a flat bottom surface for supporting the stock on a sandbag. When I support the LMT stock with a bag, I find it tends to pivot a whole lot.

This stock is definitely not for everybody, but I'm sure as hell going to try it out. If it doesn't meet my expectations, I will have no problems selling it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:31:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 6:20:37 PM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:10 AM EDT
Come on guys, we don't want to turn this into a dealer dissing thread, do we?

Let's just all celebrate this wonderful looking new product! I am sure many will find it suitable for their needs.

:beer:
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:56:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheFlyingFinn:

Let's just all celebrate this wonderful looking new product! I am sure many will find it suitable for their needs.

This is not a dealer dissing match, I see it as two individuals asked to evalulate a product and they just happen to be dealers.  It is good to have 2 people with great knowledge having a debate over something since in the long run we as spectators will learn via their dialog and will hopfully be able to make a good descision.  Since after its all said and done we can sit back have a beer and BS.

BTW, I am very intrigued by this stock, since I am very long armed and the LOP adjustment looks to be great, I dont know if I would need the cheek rest adjustment...I would have to see it in person on a rifle.

Ant
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:57:29 PM EDT
I thought Rich stated the majority of the weight is in the CNCed aluminum butt pad?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 1:46:49 PM EDT by Mike_Mills]

Originally Posted By TheFlyingFinn:

I repeat my request for information, guys:

What do they weigh?

What range of length of pull do they provide?

What do they cost?

When will one be available to ship to me?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:59:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:11:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:21:42 PM EDT
Tag for that sweet butt
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:33:00 PM EDT
I thought Magpul just had a thread on AR discussions about how they're discontinuing the M93 series for the PRS. How would thie stock in this thread fit into the same category as the M93? One's collapsible, the other isn't.

Am I missing something here?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:22 PM EDT
You are. They're discontinuing the M93 and replacing it with a similar stock that ioncorporates the lessons learned during the PRS development.

Simon
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 2:27:49 PM EDT by Victor]
Hello all,

I finally got to see the “proof is in the shooting” on this new PRS during 3 hours of late night shooting last night and 4 hours of day shooting this morning.  All shooting was done in the prone and kneeling.  The night shoot also consisted of using different braced positions from a tree stump, to my Land Rover. I can CONFIDENTLY state this stock was engineered for the precision minded shooter.  I knew when I first got behind this stock it was going to be a joy to actually pull the trigger, IT WAS!

Both platforms I used for shooting are shown on the previous pages of this thread.  For the night shoot, I employed a 6.8 platform, with a D-760 vortex flash sup., Harris pod, and a PEQ closed out the package at ranges from 100-600M.  I had a fellow ex-Army (retired Ranger) along with me for the shoot. It seems lately around here, us lonely (ex) LE now consultant with a half dozen precision shooting schools under his belt seem to get disqualified since some of us haven’t been to the Sandbox or don’t show pretty pictures of an operator with their platforms…. We’re not the 10% I guess…Soooo, I decided to bring an old Retired Army puke to the arena with me last night to get some trigger time in with the PRS and to get his personal views.  

His first response was, “geez the BOZO guns have really come long way I see.”  His second response was, “you really think we’re going to hit that plate out there with this cap gun?” hehehe, (we were approx. 400M away.)  Well after a brief introduction to my 6.8 SPC, and my range book, he stated…”Hmmmm”  He first went behind the stock and after a long while (about 5 minutes) of literally just sitting there peering through the D-760, (I knew better to say anything) he stated without moving his head, “this scope is incredible.”  Well, then I HAD to say something and told him we were here to evaluate the stock.  J After an “oh sorry”, he went on to tell me if the stock was ergonomically wrong, I would have no way seen him lock-in so rapidly behind the weapon like he did.  It took him approx. 30 seconds to get into position and after that he NEVER moved!  After this, I got to show him the stock and all the details that went into it.  His first response was, as many here have eloquently stated (well some anyway) that the cheek piece would be well behind the shooter if using (as he called it) “short-eyed glass”.  We both agreed with the ACOG’s and such, it was a MOOT point as I related in my earlier posts, but throw on either the D-760, Raptor or my M1 or M3 Leupy’s, the stock comes into its own.  

He then got to pull the trigger for the first time at 400M at 2230 hrs, with no moon (well a sliver anyways) at 7000’ elevation.  The clang of the plate was pretty loud in our Com-Tac’s as he went on to say how he couldn’t believe how easy it was shooting this "pee-shooter" at these ranges and also at  NIGHT!  Once again I had to ask him about the stock and he laughed and told me he was really impressed how effective the butt-hook felt. He had an incredibly rock solid hold with left hand pushing the stock in place.  We went on to shoot at 600, now with the PEQ and by this time over 100 rounds were spent with not a hint of neck fatigue. We also shot in the kneeling position and took numerous rounds from my vehicle at 100M  He told me to tell this company that he thought they made a “good-one” and also asked me who the hell made that scope!

Today, actually just two hours ago, I put another 300 hundred rounds out there at ranges from 100-300M.  This time around from the SPR depicted in this thread with the Leupy.  The range was crowded today and lots of on-lookers of course wanting to know “what the hell was that?”  So it was good to just stay put behind the rifle for long periods. And a long period it was!  Once again, I REALLY wanted to be SURE the cheek piece was on my cheek while I peered through the Leupy.  I can once again state it was FLUSH on my cheek and with the correct eye relief.  My scope mounted with my ARMS rings measured approx. a 1/2- 3/4" behind the 40L. I do see some scopes depicted with the scope mounted 1-2” forward of the charging handle. Indeed, if my scope were mounted this far forward, the cheek piece would NOT come into play.  With my set up, I enjoyed the cheek position.  

During the day shoot, nothing changed, as the stock fit me like a glove. It was interesting to note that the shooting bag depicted in the pics I had fabricated 10 years ago, was the EXACT height I needed while lying prone, it also fit the hook portion of the stock incredibly well in conjunction with my hand.  I cannot overstate this enough how GOOD my left hand feels pushing the stock into my shoulder!  It feels JUST as good as my A4 McMillan on my bolt gun! I can also tell you I COULD HOLD steadier than the ol’ faithful 40 year old A2 stock!  This was a FACT for me due to the incredibly well engineered butt hook.  

In closing, the recommendation I would give is to have a rubber type butt pad installed.   This of course would lengthen the minimum LOP a small bit.  After four hours today, the top of my shoulder felt like the stock bit.  A rubber butt pad would eliminate this in a hurry.  Overall folks, the stock is a joy to shoot.  I also think for LE perimeter personnel, this platform is a welcomed piece of gear! I’ll leave it up to the military experts around here to see how applicable this PRS is.  I won’t touch this one except to say to the NIGHT OPS boys, “your gonna love this one!”  But I do encourage all the LE folks to PLEASE give this one a look-see!  I also reiterate, that this stock is not made specifically for the “short-eyed” optics as the Major called it, BUT IT CAN be used and it’s just as effective for ANY optic out there, plus incredibly comfortable. It has ALL the capability and I think that’s the REAL key issue here.  I can indeed plop my NSN on and shoot all day long without ever using the cheek piece, BUT, when the sun goes to sleep, and the night gods awake to my D-760 and Raptors, nothing changes except the clang in the night!  

Thanks Magpul!

Vic
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:37:00 PM EDT
Victor, are you saying if a guy is using a M3 in a foward mount like an ARMS #35 there is no need for this stock? I have this on a AR-10 (observer / sniper at work) and a SOPMOD buttstock. This combo gives me the correct cheek weld but after being prone behind the scope for 5-6 hours,  I start to get a little tired and find my cheek is resting a bit harder on the stock because my neck is begining to hurt.  At this point I'm loosing the correct sight picture through the scope and I have to lift my head up a little. Now when this happens I wish for a riser. The last time I was called out, I was behind the rifle for 12 1/2 hours before we were done. I'm thinking the cheek piece will allow me to FULLY rest my cheek on the stock when I'm tired and still give me the correct cheek weld. What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:50:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:51:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Victor, are you saying if a guy is using a M3 in a foward mount like an ARMS #35 there is no need for this stock? I have this on a AR-10 (observer / sniper at work) and a SOPMOD buttstock. This combo gives me the correct cheek weld but after being prone behind the scope for 5-6 hours,  I start to get a little tired and find my cheek is resting a bit harder on the stock because my neck is begining to hurt.  At this point I'm loosing the correct sight picture through the scope and I have to lift my head up a little. Now when this happens I wish for a riser. The last time I was called out, I was behind the rifle for 12 1/2 hours before we were done. I'm thinking the cheek piece will allow me to FULLY rest my cheek on the stock when I'm tired and still give me the correct cheek weld. What do you think?

Hi,

To employ the PRS's adj. cheek piece with a forward mounting optic..i.e. 2" forward of the charging handle, you would not be able to use the adj cheek piece. My scopes are 1/2-3/4" (max) behind the charging handle and I am able to employ the adj. cheek piece with the correct eye relief AND no neck fatigue, I have a great LOP, and a natural POA for this setup.  thus far. It feels VERY good. I have found this setup to be the most comfortable for me for long extneded sessions. Well 3-4 hours worth thus far, not 12 hours just yet!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:00:10 PM EDT

[Thanks for taking the time and typing up this report.  Mine hasnt arrived yet.  Regarding the buttplate: given the choice, would you opt for a pad to go over the aluminum plate, or a replacement plastic buttplate?

Your welcome and that is a good question....I think I would OPT for a replacement plastic butt plate. i.e armored textured rubber. This would (most likely anyway) keep the minimum LOP dimension.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:01:32 PM EDT
Looks like a great setup.  I can't wait to start my next project!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT by AShooter]

Stock length for the PRS is 10"~11" OAL. 1" total ROA (range of adjustment). (A2 stock is 10.5")

Cheek riser has .625" of adjustment.

PRS = 28 oz

$255

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but do these use a rifle buffer tube or carbine length?  The reason I ask is because I would be a little bit hesitant to buy one if it didn't offer a little bit more length adjustment.   I like a little shorter stock than most, even for a mid-long range rifle, so an A1 stock is about as long as I can stand - A2 is too long for me to shoot comfortably.  If they could make it 9-11 inches, that would suit mebetter.

Is an A1 about 10"?

edited to ad:  Also, I would be more likely to buy one without the adjustable cheekpiece, if it was offered.  It'd be great for a big night vision scope, but for po' folks like me, it's just overkill.  I've never had a problem with cheek weld using anything from irons to MkIV 10x Leupolds.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
Thanks Victor...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:17:50 PM EDT
I wonder why Rich went with aluminum butt pad, expensive to produce and adds weight?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:29:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Duffy:
I wonder why Rich went with aluminum butt pad, expensive to produce and adds weight?

Probably the hardest to mold at this time...

Machine aluminum can be done now and not have to perfect the complex molds....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Victor:

Vic

An officer in the Ranger Regiment huh?  I take it they are hard to come by.

Justin
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:08:21 PM EDT
Ashooer...rifle length buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 7:12:21 PM EDT by Magpul]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 10:22:26 PM EDT by RAMBOSKY]
I agree with bigbore, and I'm interested in reading more evaluations.  I appreciate bigbore’s business ethics also.  

I DISAGREE WITH MSTN; " I THINK THE FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES."  I DIDN’T HEAR ANYTHING SPEAKING FOR ITSELF.  I DID READ VICOTORS REPORT BUT IT WAS AFTER MSTN’S STATEMENT.

Since the first Mattel Toy I was issued in 1967 and over the years to now, I've seen lots of products for the AR that are "the good, the bad and the ugly."  I've bought products in all three categories.    So I'm a little leery about jumping on something only because it looks "cool".  

I must say that my Magpul M93 is a hell of a lot better than the standard collapsible stock that's been around for years.  It was well engineered just like most of the other products Magpul offers.  

But..................the first Magpul forearm rail protectors that I bought a year or so ago popped off out in the field under the hot sun when rubbed across my gear.  Richard was gracious enough to discuss this with me and offered my money back even though, correct me if I got confused over the years, that you had bought this from a second tier supplier of yours?

Anyway………….I’ve learned not to jump on products until I hear back from the field operators.  I completed my mission years ago in the land of the big rice paddy but I do  play at 3 gun matches and precision rife matches.  So my needs are not as critical as someone’s would be in harms way.  

So let the evaluations continue and based on Vic's report it sounds like it will be positive.   I then might be interested in seeing what I’d get as far as a trade in for my lightly used M93 for the new PRS stock.    

Page / 3
Top Top