BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would bet that the list of design criteria that Stoner had to work with to come up with his combat rifle never included "aesthetics". Let's face it, the AR is an ugly piece of machinery whose beauty is in the way it fulfills its purpose. The only things I care about in a handguard is how it fits my hand and accommodates whatever stuff I want to attach, and the color which I use only to break up the profile of the gun. If I wanted aethetics I'd wait till Magpul made one of French walnut.
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would bet that the list of design criteria that Stoner had to work with to come up with his combat rifle never included "aesthetics". Let's face it, the AR is an ugly piece of machinery whose beauty is in the way it fulfills its purpose. The only things I care about in a handguard is how it fits my hand and accommodates whatever stuff I want to attach, and the color which I use only to break up the profile of the gun. If I wanted aethetics I'd wait till Magpul made one of French walnut.

You think AR's are ugly?
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I like it...maybe.....???
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered my MOE handguards today...of course my rifle wont be ready for them for a few months, but oh well...Ill post up my own personal review of them, as well as I can without them being on the weapon anyway :P
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
So do these come with the rails to attach?  Or are they sold separate?
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I ordered two sets yesterday. Going on my KISS carbines.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Who are you ordering these from, I don't see them on the Magpul site. Also what are they going for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who are you ordering these from, I don't see them on the Magpul site. Also what are they going for?

Thanks

Links to this site / vendor are not allowed.

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Abnak, thanks for the info!

Rick
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Amazing what people will trip over for.

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a set on backorder from Brownells. These will be great as I dont really care for railed handguards. All I want to mount is a light, I dont have a PEQ or the like and I dont run a VFG. Therefor why spend $300 on railed HG's to just mount a light
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some cops buy their own guns. But those guns have to fit in the gun lock/racks supplied by the department. Most railed handguards won't fit in out locks. As a result a set of handguards like this, depending on the OD, would be a great thing. You could still mount a light and or a side sling swivel, far enough forward to not interfere with the rack, without the size issues imposed by railed handguards.

So IMHO these do fit a need for those that carry their guns to work on a daily basis.

I thought the old triangle handguards were awful. But they are great off a bench. The flat underside works well for that. So these may not appeal to some, appearance wise, but they will fit a niche for some.

Oh, and we do need them in midlength.  

I actually love the old triangular handguards, they fit my hand perfectly compared to the modern round handguards. Because of that, I cannot wait to try a set of these on my M4A1 clone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some cops buy their own guns. But those guns have to fit in the gun lock/racks supplied by the department. Most railed handguards won't fit in out locks. As a result a set of handguards like this, depending on the OD, would be a great thing. You could still mount a light and or a side sling swivel, far enough forward to not interfere with the rack, without the size issues imposed by railed handguards.

So IMHO these do fit a need for those that carry their guns to work on a daily basis.

I thought the old triangle handguards were awful. But they are great off a bench. The flat underside works well for that. So these may not appeal to some, appearance wise, but they will fit a niche for some.

I actually love the old triangular handguards, they fit my hand perfectly compared to the modern round handguards. Because of that, I cannot wait to try a set of these on my M4A1 clone.

Hell, for the price you really can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
call www.riflegear.com

they got in 10 last week. no joke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, for the price you really can't go wrong.

No kidding. I'm actually going to be replacing a set of MI two piece railed handguards with the Magpul unit. I put the MI unit on in anticipation of mounting a light I have no yet purchased. With the weight savings, and hopefully better ergonomics this is a win-win situation for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to get a pair, don't know what color yet
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Y
Quoted:

Your point being? A rail for thirty dollars that serves the purpose that does look pretty good! I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Ordered mine from G&R Tactical.

$29 each.

I ordered them from Brownells...$25 with my discount....either way they are worth trying out at least one set

You KNOW someone will buy them off of you if you dont like them
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
what is the item # at brownells?  I didnt see it on the site.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what is the item # at brownells?  I didnt see it on the site.

Here they are, thanks to another member:

100-004-152 MAG405-MOE CAR HANDGUARD-BLACK
100-004-153 MAG405-MOE CAR HANDGUARD-FLAT DK EARTH
100-004-154 MAG405-MOE CAR HANDGUARD-OD GREEN
100-004-155 MAG405-MOE CAR HANDGUARD-FOLIAGE GREEN

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry - I realize I'm an idiot sometimes - but I still can't find them on Brownell's website. Could someone please add a link?
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sorry - I realize I'm an idiot sometimes - but I still can't find them on Brownell's website. Could someone please add a link?

You can't find them because the Brownells website has not been updated to show them yet.  You have to call Brownells with your order.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't find them because the Brownells website has not been updated to show them yet.  You have to call Brownells with your order.

yep, thats what I did

Link Posted: 1/10/2009 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I think they are ugly... but as stated may be a nice addition for price reasons, car mounts, ect... to each his own i guess.  Now the UBR they made is a sexy peice... but out of my $ range
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think they are ugly... but as stated may be a nice addition for price reasons, car mounts, ect... to each his own i guess.  Now the UBR they made is a sexy peice... but out of my $ range

Yeah, its all preference.  Take me for example, Im not a fan of 4 rail handguards unless they are necessary.  They are uncomfortable, heavy, get dirty easily, and they are expensive.  I had a 4 rail issued to me, but I wont have a 4 rail for my personal use until I NEED that much space for mounting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#27]
yuckie.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Y
Quoted:

Your point being? A rail for thirty dollars that serves the purpose that does look pretty good! I fail to see the problem.

Then buy them.

Magpul could make a trap door of an A2 buttstock and people would trip to get them, or go back to the A2 buttstock just to be able to use it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2009 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]
While the only experience I have with Magpul is related to their magazines, I have to admit that these look like a better alternative to all this TAPCO, First Samco, and CAA stuff I see people putting on their rifles.

More ventilation is good.  I do like the lip on the underside that looks like it would keep you from venturing too far forward and burning myself.  I won't be trading in my CASV for it.

I might get one if pkfirearms had uppers in stock and offered these as an alternative to OEM hand guards at a reasonably priced upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I love Magpul products...Until their banned or Magpul goes out of buisness I will buy nothing but CTRs (or UBRs ) and PMAGs.  Fantastic products.  But I don't care for anything yet that comes out of the MOE line.  I think there are better grips for the money, you may as well spend the extra $30 on a CTR stock, and personally I like the look of the standard M4 guards over these.  Now that's not to say their not quality proucts it's just a personal choice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I might go full retard over those.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Fugly no thanks......
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I like those handguards, a lot!

Wonder when the MBUS will be on the market?
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Purchased 3 sets yesterday at a gunshow in Colorado!  Not a bad handguard.  Does not come with any rails.  You have to provide them yourself.  

Still for a different look and possible upgrade with a rail to mount a light or vertical grip They are worth it.  Beefy and solid construction, typical MagPul.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an Unrelated question but doesn't warrant its own thread, are the adapters that gggaz.com not as good as this option? anyone played with em?  

I do not like the aesthetics of the moe but its nice to see a budget minded product.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't like the look.  Concept is good as always though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll have a set ordered for my middy as soon as they get 'em out.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#39]
So what rails does one order to attach to the handguards? It appears the rail holding the sling mount is longer than the one on the bottom holding the vertical foregrip?
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Magpul should offer the rails and swivel sling attachments as options for the handguard instead of having to source them out, yourself.  Those would be easy up-sell items for Magpul; a concept familiar to all whom are in the marketing industry in any capacity.

As for the handguard, I don't think it looks that bad, especially when considering the price. Personally, I would rather have an economical free-floated handguard available that is similar to the MOE.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#41]
My question is how much they flex.  One reason I use LaRue handguards even on carbines that I don't NEED to free float is to attach a VFG.  Attaching a VFG to standard handguards SUCKS because they flex like the dickens.  I am not sure if the MOE was designed for this application or not but for me that would be the only reason for me to purchase them, to have the ability to have a flex free VFG without the price of a quality free float rail.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
If you twist your VFG from 6 o clock to 7 oclock do they move or are they solid?  Also looks like Drake needs to go to a Magpul training class Mr. Costa would not approve of the way he is grasping that VFG
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the look of that rail in the pics. Does anybody know who the manufacture is?
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone know who makes the rails that fit this?

I know MI makes some but the ones in the picture don't look like MI.

Link Posted: 1/21/2009 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I just ordered one tonight from Magpul. $29.95 Cant wait to get it and try it.  I am interested in those rails as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just ordered one tonight from Magpul. $29.95 Cant wait to get it and try it.  I am interested in those rails as well.

Good move.

I just cancelled my order from Brownells and ordered mine from magpul today also.  Brownells timeline wasnt matching up to what they had originally told me.  Magpul said it would go out tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#48]

No flexing at all....

I Used a 4 inch Ergo aluminum U,M.P. Rail to mount the GRIP POD

U.M.P. RAILS
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#49]
no like.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
no like.

Really?
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top