Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Like I said I don't care whethor it's current issue or not you said yourself that the early ones had the fixed handle fine then thats what I'm after it's a preferance thing, so what are the correct specifications for that version, does it still have all those other sudtle little differances?....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bushmaster is over priced, 16 inches is not to spec, and phantom, and vortexes are not to spec, if I can't get an A2 then I need to know what flash suppressor I can use that looks most like the A2, or alternativly how I can jery rig the A2 to the right length, this isn't ment as an insult or anything, I'm just a stickler about authenticity, I don't particularly care if I use Bshmaster but there complete rifles are out of my price range, idealy my budget for this is $800 or less prefferably below $500 but I know thats next to impossible, I wouldn't even mind Colt parts but they have to have a decent price, and unless I can get one witht he correct pin sizes there recievers are out, let me just premtively say that this thread is not meant to start a war like that other thread I just want to build the most correct rifle possible for the lowest possible price, I don't care if I buy a complete rifle or have to build it myself with no 2 parts comeing from the same manufacturor....

You can't afford what you want to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Like I said I don't care whethor it's current issue or not you said yourself that the early ones had the fixed handle fine then thats what I'm after it's a preferance thing, so what are the correct specifications for that version, does it still have all those other sudtle little differances?....

The early M4A1's had a fixed carrying handle. I IM'd you about providing you with the specs but seeing as you never IM'd me back I guess you don't want my help.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The early M4A1's had a fixed carrying handle. I IM'd you about providing you with the specs but seeing as you never IM'd me back I guess you don't want my help.

He's a fucking airsofter.

Q(11B)S
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a fucking airsofter.

Q(11B)S

Figures...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The hell I am, and I don't appritiate the assumption....

I just noticed the IM by the way....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if you want an M4 "style" with a carrying handle that's not hard to do. In fact I'm getting ready to build an M4 profile AR with M4 style barrel and hand guards and a built in carrying handle (non-flat top). Model 1 and Ameetec just to name a few make them. They're not an authentic M4 but no civilian model really is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colt's hanguards are crap. People believe they are some how better because they use double heat shields but this is not the case, the plastic they use requires it.

Right.

Hmm, didn't you read in the Bushmaster M4 thread that all the plastic on those supposed USGI BIF M4s had to be replaced with Colt parts?

Post your proof. I've seen other brands melt under full auto and Colt's stand up to 600 rounds of continous FA without even softening. I had to cut 15 or 20 sets off with a Dremel.

Post your proof.

Don't get me wrong, not all other brands are better nor am I saying that, it's just that the Colt M4 handguard is not what it's made out to be. I have personally seen several Colt brand M4 handguards melt. On the other hand, I have seen other brands that with or without heat shields do not melt or get too hot to hold even after the gas tube has melted. In my not so humble opinion, the Colt M4 handguards are all hype. Was I a little harsh when I called them crap? Maybe, but they are definitely not higher in quality than other company's comparable handguards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
You have an IM... IM me back if you have any questions...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you want a 14.5" barrel then stick with it.  That is all I have on my M4's (Bushmaster 14.5" chrome lined 1/9 twist) and they shoot great.  A 16" M4 barrel just does not look right and it is not to "spec"

Neither is a 14.5 inch barrel with a permanantly attached vortex or phantom flash suppressor, and don't forget the full auto parts that it lacks which make it "out of spec" too!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you want a 14.5" barrel then stick with it.  That is all I have on my M4's (Bushmaster 14.5" chrome lined 1/9 twist) and they shoot great.  A 16" M4 barrel just does not look right and it is not to "spec"

Neither is a 14.5 inch barrel with a permanantly attached vortex or phantom flash suppressor, and don't forget the full auto parts that it lacks which make it "out of spec" too!

16" barrels do look gay, I think the 14.5" with a phantom looks kick ass, it may not be spec but it still looks cool, and after all looking cool is the most important part of a gun fight right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
First Rule: Shoot good.

Second Rule: Look good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Didn't we have this conversation once before?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People say it was for better reliability in cold I say it was to cure a manufacturing short coming from colt

And we all know that you are the foremost authority on all things Colt.  

BTW, your presence is requested in the Bushmaster M4 thread...

I have had many ARs and been issued many M16s. Of all of them, not one ever had M4 feedramps. Of the few malfunctions I have ever had out of Stoner's design, not one could I ever attribute to lack of M4 feed ramps.

M4 feed ramps are not needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
People say it was for better reliability in cold I say it was to cure a manufacturing short coming from colt

I have had many ARs and been issued many M16s. Of all of them, not one ever had M4 feedramps. Of the few malfunctions I have ever had out of Stoner's design, not one could I ever attribute to lack of M4 feed ramps.

True, the feedramps are probably not needed but I have never seen an issued M4 without them, and thats what the dude is asking about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

16" barrels do look gay, I think the 14.5" with a phantom looks kick ass, it may not be spec but it still looks cool, and after all looking cool is the most important part of a gun fight right?

Looking cool is part of it, but I'll look cooler with my sound suppressor... whenever I can afford one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't we have this conversation once before?

Its possible, I believe I have posted it before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4 feed ramps are not needed.

Hmmm...comparing your experience with AR's and M16's to the extensive testing done by Colt on behalf of the military.  I can definitely see your point.  

I'm going to share a little secret with you...M16's don't require the feedramps as they didn't exhibit the same kinds of failures in the tests that were conducted.  It's a carbine thing, dude.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
nope the longer barrel is incorrect it's 14.5 or bust....

OK - you already nixed the 1.5 inch flash suppressor to make a legal barrel length so I don't know what the fuck you are talking about anymore.

2 things you need to do:

1) Leave Michigan.
2) Increase your budget to about $1500 and pay the $200 to buy an M4 as an SBR.  

It sounds like no matter what you get, you won't be happy until you have a real M4...  you'll end up paying for it eventually so just come to terms with knowing that you want an M4 clone with a 14.5 inch barrel and start the Form 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems that what you want is a carbine like the one in the pic below.  Like QuietShootr said, you can't afford it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
That would be cool if it were not for the slab side receiver. I think they look like ass. But to each his own.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nah, the flash suppressor is still too long.

I hear those Airsoft guns are identical to the real deal tho.

That OAI 6mm looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#25]
$1500 for an AR-15 is insane, and don't take offense but unless it's made of gold if you pay that much your on crack....

Look I'm not trying to start a war here all I want is the most correct version that I can legaly get, and from what you say the early type it's a preferance thing....  I will not, I repeat NOT use a 16" barrel, a 1:9 twist, an HBAR, non chrome lined, the flat top, non standard pins, a Phantom, or a Vortex flash suppressor, or insanely high prices, I requir a 14.5" barrel with the correct government profile with M-203 groove, chrome lined, chamber, and bore, with a 1:7 twist, the early style A2 carry handle, and the flash suppressor must eighther be an A2 thats been jery rigged to the legal length, or an elongated A2 like I mentioned in my first post....

Now from what I gathered the features that differ on the M-4 are the handgaurds, forward sight base hight, side mounted forward sling swivil, the feed ramp, and I also heared something about the shape of the carry handle, now is that it?....  Now as I said I'm building the earlier version with the fixed carry handle, so which of those features if any are correct on this version M-4....

Now again my budget is $800 and I think thats high, now I don't care if I have to build it myself and I can do it well within budget, I can get the complete lower with the teloscopic stock for about $150, I'm willing to spend up to $200 for the barrel, I can get the upper for $140, the bolt for about $110, and the charging handle for $15, for a grand total of $615, which gives me $185 to spare should one of the parts cost more than I anticipate specificly the barrel, so don't say it can't be done because it can, I've already tracked down the suppliers, and done the math, now all I have to get the information exactly what is correct?....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Tweak, I know that Colt is all mil-spec, at least in the upper. I wish I had bought one, instead I got LMT.

What is wrong with your LMT??? Any problems???
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the flash suppressor must eighther be an A2 thats been jery rigged to the legal length, or an elongated A2 like I mentioned in my first post....

Now again my budget is $800 and I think thats high, now I don't care if I have to build it myself and I can do it well within budget, I can get the complete lower with the teloscopic stock for about $150, I'm willing to spend up to $200 for the barrel, I can get the upper for $140, the bolt for about $110, and the charging handle for $15, for a grand total of $615, which gives me $185 to spare should one of the parts cost more than I anticipate specificly the barrel, so don't say it can't be done because it can, I've already tracked down the suppliers, and done the math, now all I have to get the information exactly what is correct?....

1) A lot of people want the look you crave. Good luck on finding that special elongated A2 flash suppressor. I think that if it were that easy to acquire, we would see more permanently attached A2's than Phantoms.

2) A $150 complete lower half most likely does not have a receiver extension with the correct dimensions. The only companies I know of that make "correct" receiver extensions are Colt, LMT, and Vltor. Colt and LMT lowers fall far from your budget, and if I recall correctly, Vltor does not sell complete lower halves.

3) Etc, etc... hough
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
$1500 for an AR-15 is insane, and don't take offense but unless it's made of gold if you pay that much your on crack....
For YOU, junior.  It's not too much to spend for a weapon that you can bet your life on.  I've seen plenty of guys like you in classes with their "my xxxx is just as good as an LMT/Colt!  You guys are crazy spendin all that money!"  They're the guys who get REAL good at malfunction clearance.

Now again my budget is $800 and I think thats high,

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tweak, I know that Colt is all mil-spec, at least in the upper. I wish I had bought one, instead I got LMT.

What is wrong with your LMT??? Any problems???

Nothing, its a good gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
If you buy a complete lower for around $135.00 at that price the ones I have seen do not have the receiver extention included with them. Vltor sells the correct size receiver extention but I think it is 6 position and not 4. I think $800.00 just for the weapon is not far fetched for a reliable rifle. You do not NEED a Colt to have a reliable rifle. I have a little over 6 in mine (just the rifle, no accessories) and it is flawless, not one failure yet, but then again I bought a slightly used upper and shopped around A LOT. My butt stock is used, upper is used, scope mount is used, light is used, and you can not tell by looking at any of it that it was not bran new. Dont let anyone tell you you HAVE to spend $1500.00 or more to get a good M4, I think that is insane myself...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Colt, and the other high priced brands are no better than the others generaly, just because it's expensive does not automaticly make it good, I think it's a case of you go and blow over a thousand dollars on a rifle, go to the range and procede to be eighther outshot, or come even with somebody with a cheaper rifle, and you through a hissy fit of "Well my rifles better then yours so there" to justify the price you paid I tell you what I'll go out and buy the cheapest beater rifle I can for under $50 and sell it to you for $10,000 by your logic that must make that beater rifle the most accurite, most reliable, uber, super, duper cool rifle in the world because it costs the most....

My Rock River cost less than half of what you guys are paying, and guess what my groups are touching and I haven't had a single malfunction yet....

As for what I'm after I told you the most correct rifle as legaly possible....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Colt, and the other high priced brands are no better than the others generaly, just because it's expensive does not automaticly make it good, I think it's a case of you go and blow over a thousand dollars on a rifle, go to the range and procede to be eighther outshot, or come even with somebody with a cheaper rifle, and you through a hissy fit of "Well my rifles better then yours so there" to justify the price you paid I tell you what I'll go out and buy the cheapest beater rifle I can for under $50 and sell it to you for $10,000 by your logic that must make that beater rifle the most accurite, most reliable, uber, super, duper cool rifle in the world because it costs the most....

My Rock River cost less than half of what you guys are paying, and guess what my groups are touching and I haven't had a single malfunction yet....

As for what I'm after I told you the most correct rifle as legaly possible....

LMFAO..

Tell you what, son.  You name the shooting contest, and you bring your carbine and I'll bring mine.  Talk shit afterward, if you can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
AH, I see now. So it doesn't have to function it only has to look good.

Check here.

Dude, that sight is awesome! They got discounts on all the bling!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#36]
You tried to help him, Quiet, and there's your thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh incase your wondering I checked the current price colt charges the millitary for an M-4 is $494.41, and thats with the carry handle....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oh incase your wondering I checked the current price colt charges the millitary for an M-4 is $494.41, and thats with the carry handle....

Yeah, and the military doesnt pay 11% excise tax, and they order a few hundred thousand a pop.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
My head hurts after reading this thread.  It's like...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Not true, I heared the price from a civilian contracter in Iraq, (actually he leavs tomorrow....) who had to buy his own gun and since he has to leave it in Iraq the BATF allowd him to get the real thing, so he was able to get it at millitary price, so being an individual I would imagen he would still have to pay the excise tax, and he only bought 1 rifle so thats the price each no volume discount....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Not true, I heared the price from a civilian contracter in Iraq, (actually he leavs tomorrow....) who had to buy his own gun and since he has to leave it in Iraq the BATF allowd him to get the real thing, so he was able to get it at millitary price, so being an individual I would imagen he would still have to pay the excise tax, and he only bought 1 rifle so thats the price each no volume discount....

His rifle is an add on to the military contract. Under the wording of the contract, other parts of the federal government can add to a military order, at that price. I suspect he bought his on an end user certificate, and somehow he got the same price they would charge the state department.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#42]
He's not in the Federal government he's a private contractor, if he works for anyone it's Haliburton (He was highered to gaurd there oil lines....)....  From what I here thats also about the price the Police pay, assumeing they opt for the real thing and not the semi....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#43]
If it's so cheap and easy to get a real M4, then get yourself one of those high paying contrctor jobs and buy all the M4s you want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
He's not in the Federal government he's a private contractor, if he works for anyone it's Haliburton (He was highered[/guard] to gaurd there oil lines....)....  From what I here thats also about the price the Police pay, assumeing they opt for the real thing and not the semi....

hired and guard their

And I understand that he is a private contractor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My head hurts after reading this thread.  It's like...

I know thats right. Where is Samuel Jackson with the "spell check motherfucker".....

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing I've noticed as I go to variouse message boards is that when people dissaggree about something, and can't come up with a logical counter they resort to name calling, and insulting spelling errors, and or typos, except normaly it's Liberals who do this when you dare dissagree with them....

Oh it seems I'm right about some M-4's not haveing the removeable handle, I found a very interesting artical while I was surfing I encourage you all to read it, not just to prove me right but because theres alot of good information on there that you might find interesting it's a long artical on multipal pages just click continue at the bottom of the pages, it goes from the M-4's history, configuration, assessorys, how it's being used, etc.....

www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/Features/M4/Default.html

The model I'm going for is the 720....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
One thing I've noticed as I go to variouse message boards is that when people dissaggree about something, and can't come up with a logical counter they resort to name calling, and insulting spelling errors, and or typos, except normaly it's Liberals who do this when you dare dissagree with them....

Oh it seems I'm right about some M-4's not haveing the removeable handle, I found a very interesting artical while I was surfing I encourage you all to read it, not just to prove me right but because theres alot of good information on there that you might find interesting it's a long artical on multipal pages just click continue at the bottom of the pages, it goes from the M-4's history, configuration, assessorys, how it's being used, etc.....

www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/Features/M4/Default.html

The model I'm going for is the 720....

No one ever said that the early M4A1's didn't have fixed carrying handles. None are in service any more with the Army that I have ever seen. The Airforce uses a fixed A1 upper on theirs and the seals use to  use the early M4A1's with fixed carrying handles (as did Army SF) but both the Navy and Army have adopted the flat top receiver. Build what you want to man, it is a free country and no one should bust your chops on here for it BUT you asked us for help and you were all fucked up on your info so we tried to help, no more from me though, you obviously don't appreciate it. Have fun.... out.

ETA: And I am not one to talk in this area but you realy need to use a spell check.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I am confused why the 16" barrel is so frowned upon as not used ny the military.  I have seen photos of 16" barrels in use.  Here is a link ...unless I am crazy.http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/USSOCOM_Training/a_aft01pjc
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top