Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2013 3:31:42 AM EDT
I just bought a new older model (2008) never fired MP 15. I was wondering what you would upgrade first.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I would upgrade the amount of mags and ammo you have first.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a little over 2000 rounds, not much but a good start. Only have 6 mags
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nothing, until I'd put a whole lot of rounds through it and had some idea what upgrades it NEEDED.

This. Solid rifle. Shoot it and you'll figure out what you want to swap over time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing, until I'd put a whole lot of rounds through it and had some idea what upgrades it NEEDED.

This. Solid rifle. Shoot it and you'll figure out what you want to swap over time.

thats how I did mine. I have upgraded the trigger, rails, sights, but I only have 1 7rd mag  
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Right out of the box the S&W MP15 4 forgery is complete just as it is and is a surperlative DI AR...all I added to mine was a Vortex Strikefire a Magpul rail under the handguard for a white light and forward grip and that is it! It is very practical and functional/ 6 mags is adequate but around 20 is better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  M&P's are good to go. I own two of them.  Figure out what you need later.  Oh.......maybe an optic if you got the dough.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Have never shot a S&W but I'd go with the mags and ammo recommendation.  Then see what it's screaming for...
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hell yeah, and at a buck a round, and $30 mags, it will occupy that mod money for a while.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
It is all about you. What do you want on your rifle. Red dot, scope, laser, light, rails, and etc.  It can get long.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#11]
The FCG for starters.

eta: seems they have MPI'd Bolts now so your BCG is good to go. I don't think the early M&P's were iirc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Ammo and mags.  Then when you good with irons some kinda of optic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just bought a new older model (2008) never fired MP 15. I was wondering what you would upgrade first.
Thanks

Learn the waepon first before hanging parts on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Get yourself a nice sight (Aimpoint, EoTech, etc.), some mags and ammo...you will be loaded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
All my ARs get the magpul trigger guard, red dot/optic and a longer, free-float rail.

Jake
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The FCG for starters.

eta: seems they have MPI'd Bolts now so your BCG is good to go. I don't think the early M&P's were iirc.

Are you trying to humiliate the OP by forcing him to ask what an FCG is?  I wouldn't have known, the week I brought home my first AR

Fire Control Group.  Also known as the trigger assembly.  And this is not what I would do.  Geissele's new ALC would be $60 well spent, but I'd rather have three more mags right now.

1-2k rds; 20 mags.  Next for me would be an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 on a Larue mount.  Then a means of attaching a light-- probably some type of rail.  Then that's it.

The trigger is likely to break in to a quite usable, predictable creepy GI break.  Learn it. When everything else above is in place, decide if you want to spend money on this AR or start on the next one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The FCG for starters.

The trigger from my 15T is the absolute nicest factory trigger I've ever shot. Its not too light, but its got a short "carrot" type break. Very smooth. Its perfect for a practical, all use rifle.

OP, don't do anything with it yet. Backorder 4 more mags from somewhere with decent prices like DSG.

Shoot it as much as you can. Try to shoot other rifles to see what you like. Don't buy cheap optics; you'll just end up replacing them anyway. Aimpoints and Eotechs are pretty high quality, so don't be afraid to buy a nice used one if you're on a budget and looking for a red dot.

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Ammo, mags, flashlight & mount.  I really like the Elzetta mounts that hook up around the front sight base (FSB).
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FCG for starters.

Are you trying to humiliate the OP by forcing him to ask what an FCG is?  I wouldn't have known, the week I brought home my first AR

Fire Control Group.  Also known as the trigger assembly.  And this is not what I would do.  Geissele's new ALC would be $60 well spent, but I'd rather have three more mags right now.

1-2k rds; 20 mags.  Next for me would be an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 on a Larue mount.  Then a means of attaching a light-- probably some type of rail.  Then that's it.

The trigger is likely to break in to a quite usable, predictable creepy GI break.  Learn it. When everything else above is in place, decide if you want to spend money on this AR or start on the next one.

Why on earth would I try an humiliate someone I don't know who is asking for opinions on a gun board? Sounds like you have some self esteem problems buddy.

ETA: The OP is asking for recommendations on upgrades to his rifle and he gets 25 posts of tacticool ninjas telling him to buy Pmags.  Nowhere does the OP say he is new to AR's only the M&P line. FCG is not an exclusive abbreviation for the FIRE CONTROL GROUP of the AR15
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FCG for starters.

Why on earth would I try an humiliate someone I don't know who is asking for opinions on a gun board? Sounds like you have some self esteem problems buddy.

ETA: The OP is asking for recommendations on upgrades to his rifle and he gets 25 posts of tacticool ninjas telling him to buy Pmags.  Nowhere does the OP say he is new to AR's only the M&P line. FCG is not an exclusive abbreviation for the FIRE CONTROL GROUP of the AR15

The early models used LMT and CMT bcg. The FCG is the trigger assy and would be the last thing I would replace on a M&P carbine rifle.
I would start with ammo and a few good mags while practicing with the irons. Next for me would be an optic I would go with a Aimpoint or EoTech which ever he likes better.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
1) Spikes ST-T2 buffer
2) BCM Gunfighter charging handle (medium, I prefer)
3) Magpul trigger guard  
4) Magpul MOE+ grip
5) Geissele SSA two-stage: none better and WILL improve your shooting
6) Surefire/PWS/Smith comp or brake (your choice/preference)
7) Extractor O-ring (BCM sells 'em)
8) Magpul CTR stock
9) Gear selector swivel adapter
10) LaRue Tactical VT two-point sling (this is 'why' you'd be well served by the two above and stock of your choice (I like the CTR and VLTOR's EMOD) with a built-in swivel...you'll thank me later)
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.  Check EE for mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
DD Omega Rail
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FCG for starters.

The early models used LMT and CMT bcg. The FCG is the trigger assy and would be the last thing I would replace on a M&P carbine rifle.
I would start with ammo and a few good mags while practicing with the irons. Next for me would be an optic I would go with a Aimpoint or EoTech which ever he likes better.

Again he is asking for upgrades not accessories or mags. Reading is fundamental. A Geissele trigger or FCG is light years ahead of the standard trigger group as far as functionality and performance. I question the knowledge of many of the users on this board sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks

My hammer pairs, controlled pairs, and failures to stop. Aside from that, optic and light. Why put all kinds of money into a rile that is supposed to be a simple battle rifle? What do I know though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The fact that you just registered and are asking this question is what is leading many of us to suggest mags and ammo, then shooting same. Please don't feel slighted as we are guessing that you are new to ARs and M&Ps specifically and are asking for experienced views. Please don't take our suggestions personally if you mean "What Parts Suck On M&Ps because I am mil/LEO/NRA instructor and have been shooting ARs since before you were out of short pants". We just don't know your experience level, so give us a break if you know all this. Now, on to my encyclopedia. Cause I'm in a chatty mood, and otherwise I would be smart and get some sleep.

The M&P is a good gun as it comes from the factory. The only upgrade I would suggest would be a BAD-ASS ambi safety; I poo-poo'd aftermarket safeties until I bought one of these and it really is a great upgrade to a standard safety. The shape of the levers makes manipulating the safety more positive and easier. Try the standard and thin levers; put the thin lever on the right (if you are right handed).

Having said the I will say basically the same things.

Buy these:
1- Sling. Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling and whatever mounting hardware needed. I would suggest setting it up so the front attachment point is as close to the back of the handguards as possible; you might find it easier to buy Magpul MOE handguards with an IWC QD Micro sing mount already installed (there is an upgrade for you).
2- Light. IWC TMC or SMC Mount-N-Slot and a Surefire P or G series Tactical light (not a Pro series hi/lo light). If you stick with stock handguards, use the TMC. If MOE, use the SMC.
3- Lube. Either Froglube or SLIP 2000 EWL lubes. Use more than you think you should. Add enough while shooting to keep the bolt carrier group wet.
4- Magazines. If available buy Magpul, NHMTG, Colt, D&H, Lancer, or real aluminum USGI mags. Do not buy Promag, USA Mags, Thermold, Master Molder, or HK mags. Try at least a few 20 rounders; you may find that you like them. I use 20s because I can manipulate them the same way I do pistol mags so my hands only have to 'know' one way to work mags. Have at least a dozen. If the Great Panic was your intro to Evil Black Guns remember that magazines are wear items and you should buy them regularly and preferably in bulk.
5- Ammo. Brass case ammo from name brands. That does not mean Joe's Pancake House, Ammo Shack, and House of Worship Remanufactured Ammo Now Made from Real Pancakes. Black Hills makes good reman ammo; for any other reman maker you should do research.
6- NRA membership (if not already). Life memberships are $300 until the end of Feb instead of $1000. Yearly is cheaper, and still helps.

Then do this:
7- Training. Take a Intro 2-3 day carbine class from a reputable instructor/school. If it is 'free' it is not a class (nor is it reputable), it is a sales pitch. Especially if it is in Nevada. Intro does not take 300 yard head shots on Day 2, and exploding golf balls on Day 3. Intro usually works out to 50 or maybe 100 yards. It should include some basic classroom safety and systems time, then expect to be on the range shooting. Shoot your gun before class. Come with all your mags loaded. Don't be That Guy.

My M&P (bought by my wife; love her) has been through a couple classes, regular practice, and over 3,000 rounds of ammo (that I've kept track of), and is my favorite AR to shoot. I have replaced the furniture and hung a bunch of crap off it, but the only internal part replaced/upgraded has been the safety (with the aforementioned BAD-ASS). The buffer is the stock carbine buffer. No extractor, spring, or insert changes on the bolt. Added lube and it has run great. The only failure in that time has been one round of UMC bulk ammo that got a strong firing pin strike but failed to fire. I saw the indent on the primer as I ejected the dud and kept right on shooting. My sample of one isn't a valid statistical study of M&Ps, but it satisfies my need for my one rifle to always go bang.

ETA: If you want an optic get an Aimpoint, Eotech Trijicon or Meprolight. I have and prefer the Aimpoint Micro in a cowitness mount. This is NOT the place to go cheap, which is why I didn't mention an optic (nor is it an upgrade to the M&P parts). The class will do you more good, and cost about the same.

Along the 'cheap' line: if you buy parts, especially furniture, buy from a reputable source. Much of the 'bargain' brand-name gear on Amazon, FleaBay, gun auction sites, and even some forums is knockoff shit from Crapistan/China. Check under 'Industry' for good dealers, or buy local from places that aren't too good to be true.

You may not be sorry you asked, but you're probably sorry I replied.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Ammo, mags, flashlight & mount.  I really like the Elzetta mounts that hook up around the front sight base (FSB).

This is how I prioritize on the issue, in that order too.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Past ammo/mags, I say a good sling and a way to mount it and a light. That, along with the solid rifle you have, makes a nice defense gun. If funds allow, an optic is next. Then shoot the fuck out of it.

ETA: the lesson I learned is that looking back, instead of tricking out my first build to high heaven, I should have built 2 or 3 solid ones sans all the fancy shit for the same money. then built up each one with all the extras as I decided what I want/need.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Done in one.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah, and at a buck a round, and $30 mags, it will occupy that mod money for a while.

I stopped at a few gun shops here in Florida yesterday. One of them had P-Mags for $95 each!!!!!
so much for the $15 they used to be.........
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did forget to mention, I really think the Magpul MOE handguards are a worthy upgrade if you don't have them already.  IMO they make the gun a LOT more comfortable to hold, not to mention it makes it easy to mount accessories.

As someone else mentioned, a sling is also a very good choice.  I would start with a cheap cotton or nylon web sling (2-point) and learn how to shoot with it.  They work great for steadying your aim and carrying the rifle long distances.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#32]
More ammo
More mags (your rifle is just a fancy club without these)
Sling
Practice shooting
Training (some kind of carbine course)

Shoot the heck out of that rifle just like it came until you are very familiar with it, then you can look at adding more stuff to it.

I personally would rather buy another rifle first (if this is only one) than spend money to add stuff to first rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks

Foiled by non-GD again.

I have mine still all stock minus putting on a MOE handguard.  Going to be switching that to a quad rail shortly though for more rail space up top
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Mags, ammo, and training.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a little over 2000 rounds, not much but a good start. Only have 6 mags

This is better then alot of people on here! I would upgrade trigger first after I decided what it needed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Honestly I would upgrade the amount of mags and ammo training and practice you have first.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

1) Spikes ST-T2 buffer

3) Magpul trigger guard  

4) Magpul MOE+ grip

8) Magpul CTR stock

10) LaRue Tactical VT two-point sling (this is 'why' you'd be well served by the two above and stock of your choice (I like the CTR and VLTOR's EMOD) with a built-in swivel...you'll thank me later)

Other than a sling, all of these are unnecessary, and purely based on the user's preferences.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
If you can find ammo and mags, you as the shooter should be the first upgrade.  Aside from that, a Quality sling is essential.  If this is rifle for self defense, a quality light and sturdy mount are also essential.

For "extras," I would start with a BCM Gunfighter charging handle and a Geissele SSA trigger.  Both make manipulating and shooting an AR more positive, precise and fun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
1) Spikes ST-T2 buffer
3) Magpul trigger guard  
4) Magpul MOE+ grip
8) Magpul CTR stock
Other than a sling, all of these are unnecessary, and purely based on the user's preferences.

I feel the same way. My rifles are straight and to the point. Why spend money on accessories when you could use that money for ammo which equals trigger time. I would much rather be pulling the trigger than spending money on anything else.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Hi OP, I agree with the notion that you should shoot the crap out of it and stock up on ammo and mags.  Having said that, however, here is what I've done to my M&P-15 that I bought in 2006.  Aside from a quality optic and better rail I've pretty much settled on the configuration.

Magpul CTR stock with enhanced recoil pad

Magpul MIAD grip

Magpul trigger guard

Troy folding rear sight

Elzetta light holder with QD sling mount

Noveske end plate with QD sling mount

Blue Force Gear VCAS sling

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Past ammo/mags, I say a good sling and a way to mount it and a light. That, along with the solid rifle you have, makes a nice defense gun. If funds allow, an optic is next. Then shoot the fuck out of it.  

ETA: the lesson I learned is that looking back, instead of tricking out my first build to high heaven, I should have built 2 or 3 solid ones sans all the fancy shit for the same money. then built up each one with all the extras as I decided what I want/need.

This

Ammo
Mags
Sling
Rail/Light

practice
practice

Red Dot
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I wonder how many people there are that secretly prefer to build a rifle than go shoot one?
Based on my limited experience and some of the people I know personally I would say that number is higher
than most people realize. They usually build some badass rifles though so God bless em!

Ammo....so you can practice
Mags.....so you can practice
Practice....because when you need it is not a good time to learn

This site is a great forum for us new to the AR arena. I appreciate those of you willing to invest
in us pesky Noobs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a S&W Sport AR about a year and a half ago. The only thing that I HAD to upgrade was the trigger. The one in my Sport sucked. I put in a Timney 4lb trigger and love it.  I did a lot of other mods to mine but they were personal wants not really essential upgrades. The best thing is it's sub MOA at 100 yards with M193 and PMC 223 55 gr ammo, .65" groups.  It's just a fun gun to shoot!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#45]
For me the grip and stock were two of the first things I swapped out... but that's more of an individual comfort thing. Some people actually like the factory grip and stock so that's up to you.

ETA:
Here's a before and after...

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
1) Spikes ST-T2 buffer
3) Magpul trigger guard  
4) Magpul MOE+ grip
8) Magpul CTR stock

I feel the same way. My rifles are straight and to the point. Why spend money on accessories when you could use that money for ammo which equals trigger time. I would much rather be pulling the trigger than spending money on anything else.

I hunt with my MP15's (one of my sons has one, too, albeit he does not prefer a two-stage trigger on this rifle...his OBR, yes, his MP15, no) so we do USE a most of those allegedly non-essential upgrades:

The Spikes buffer WORKS. I run them in all our M16's and AR's with RDIAS but it will smooth out cycling (hold on target) when bangin hogs

Gunfighter charging handle is too convenient, dominant hand never leaves the grip and firing position.

Magpul trigger guard and MOE+ grip are not 'nice to haves' as, again we hunt. Need more room for gloved fingers in trigger guard AND the non-slip surface of the MOE+ is a real plus in FL heat/humidity...again, keeping that barrel on those hogs...they move.

Muzzle brakes work, too, while most of mine are suppressor adapters so they're not 'optional' and help you keep the barrel on target.

Two-stage Geissele is standard equipment in OBR's and other high-end AR's for a reason. Your trigger breaks with minimal effort once you've set it...or you don't have to and it'll run like stock. The accuracy you can achieve with two-stage is real.

The O-ring is a PITA to compress during reassembly in some bolts and, since I've never had a FTE but have always used 'em, I can't tell you your $4.00 will be a waste of $$$

Ammo and mags? Y'all should have stocked up months ago...

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Surprising how few suggest trigger.
Probably a lot are builders and they start out with good triggers... me, I've never shot a production AR with a trigger that was worth a damn. And I've had a few of them.
Your trigger probably has a lot of creep and lets go like a rasp file.
Make sure your trigger is good (no creep, 3-4 pounds and a crisp release) then shoot it a lot with open sights... then optics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#48]
buy one of those fully automatic clips that the libs keep swearing we use all the time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#49]
The trigger on mine was gritty and uncertain.

Geissele SSA two-stage solved that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#50]
The only thing I would initially upgrade is the Stock with a Magpul ACS stock,my favorite, or the CTR stock and the grip with a Magpul MOE or MAID. If you van find some 223/556 ammo and a few more magazine that would be nice as well. Brownells is starting to ship the Magpul 556 and 308 mags. I got delivery of both in the last week. The additional bells and whistles you can decide on later. On the trigger. I would order the JP Reduced Power Spring kit from Brownells ($9.95) install only the trigger spring,The hammer spring if installed might give you light primer hits. It reduced my trigger pull from almost 7.5 pounds to 4.5 pounds. I now have it in 8 of my AR's with similar some times better results.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top