Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't want it to get scratched or dinged then DO NOT EVER SHOOT IT, TOUCH IT OR EVEN LOOK AT IT WRONG!

You must be a glutton for punishment because you can here looking for sympathy of which you will find very little.

I love seeing wear marks and dings on my weapons because it lets me know that I'm using them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well...at least it was just a Colt and not something more valuable...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well...at least it was just a Colt and not something more valuable...

Colt?

looks fresh from the factory

CLP will fix you right up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If your upper was black instead of gray Aluminum Black would fix it up like new.  I had to fix a scratch like then when a local officer told me to place my rifle on the concrete and proceeded to stand on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
send it to me for safekeeping.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If your upper was black instead of gray Aluminum Black would fix it up like new.  I had to fix a scratch like then when a local officer told me to place my rifle on the concrete and proceeded to stand on it.

WTF.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Pssh, scratches just build character.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah well...I don't use my rifle to crawl around in the mud or go into battle with it. Like I said, I understand that an AR15 is a tool but I just like mine to look mildly nice. If it was one of the various other un-noticeable scratches on the upper and not an almost 2" long one, I wouldn't care about it. I'm not getting the upper refinished just because of this scratch, I'm getting it refinished because I think it needs it. There are marks on the carry handle where it looks like there has been a scope mounted, there's lines of different shades of grey on the left side, and there's spots where it kind of looks like it's been touched up with a different shade of grey. I'm sorry that I don't find having my $470 rifle that I don't use in combat having scratches and blemishes (noticeable ones) appealing. I may have over-reacted to the scratch though...it was like I picked the upper up and saw this big scratch and I said WTF??? and got mad. I'm sure that I am not the only person on this site that likes their rifle to look somewhat nice.

And on top of that this is a Colt.

P.S. I'm gonna have to try the CLP real quick just to check if it actually is a scratch in the finish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Just think of it as a good truck gun now.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Ha...well I just tried some CLP and it took some of the silver coloration out of it but it's still there. Not AS noticeable now but still. I still plan on getting it refinished along with the lower I'm gonna get.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to worry, I have more respect for scuffed rifles .
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF.....

+1

LEO
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
m24:

Perhaps you have the opportunity to use yours more often but mine is used too.  I'd still freak if I got it all scratched up though.

I also should have clarified, MAY imply carelessness to SOME.

Nice car,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are tools, not works of art.  

Ok, now that is pushing it ;) Every AR15 is a work of art!! Well, except for DPMS...

- rem
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry, that'll buff out.

You just have to use something that won't scratch the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF.....

+1

LEO

+2 WTMF???
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF.....

+1

LEO

+2 WTMF???

+3 WTFH?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]
guns = toys just like cars. If you're a cop or in the military they're tools, if you're not.. well it's just a toy that you buy.  Try to claim otherwise as I know you will but you're wrong. Unless your life depends on it it's just another high priced toy. And let's face it, nobody uses a rifle for their life saving weapon. That's what ugly assed glocks are for.

I guess I'm the only one who's ever taken a hammer to a buffing wheel huh?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
guns = toys just like cars. If you're a cop or in the military they're tools, if you're not.. well it's just a toy that you buy.  Try to claim otherwise as I know you will but you're wrong. Unless your life depends on it it's just another high priced toy. And let's face it, nobody uses a rifle for their life saving weapon. That's what ugly assed glocks are for.

1) Civilians can and do use rifles as lifesaving tools.
2) You are not the only one to use a buffing wheel on a hammer. RUMINT indicates that OAI does this as well. They call it a "Trigger Job."
3) I view rifles as tools. Marks on them indicate that they are being used, as they were meant to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Bitching about a scratch on an AR is like bitching about the mole on Cindy Crawford's face.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Looks good.

+1

Every "ruined" finish is an opportunity. Once that baby gets its first lovebite, then it's "GAME ON!", now you don't have to worry about ever again. Now, you have freedom instead of a drive to obey an anal-retentive nature.

Celebrate the scratch. Real men have scratched rifles.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:24:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks good.

+1

Every "ruined" finish is an opportunity. Once that baby gets its first lovebite, then it's "GAME ON!", now you don't have to worry about ever again. Now, you have freedom instead of a drive to obey an anal-retentive nature.

Celebrate the scratch. Real men have scratched rifles.

Yeah well I'd rather that not be my Colt SP1...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Look at it this way...

It just makes your EVIL black rifle look that much more EVIL!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why do law enforcement and military have weapons? To potentially save/protect a life.

Why do I have weapons? To potentially save/protect a life.

Other than LE/Mil having a greater potential for this happening, there is no difference.

Just because I have never had to point or shoot at anyone, it does not mean my handguns, shotguns or my rifles are not tools.

Just because firearms are fun, it does not mean they are toys.

Seydou
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
m24:

Perhaps you have the opportunity to use yours more often but mine is used too.  I'd still freak if I got it all scratched up though.

I used to.  Wander around enough hillsides/gravel pits/parking lots etc and it seems to diminish.  To clarfify, I do have some ARs that are prety close to pristine, but my everday ARs get beat on a little.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1100114/MVC-019F.JPG

I also should have clarified, MAY imply carelessness to SOME.

Understood.

Nice car,
Scott

Yours too.  Do all units in Minnehaha have popo on the plate?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Get it refinished, I hate scratches too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice name...I love Lugers. Favorite gun ever

But yeah, I was really gonna get it finished anyway along with the SP1 lower I'm getting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Looks good.

+1

For some reason I have an aversion to 'perfect' looking weapons. Perfect says safe queen whether it means to or not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
[quote
2) You are not the only one to use a buffing wheel on a hammer. RUMINT indicates that OAI does this as well. They call it a "Trigger Job.".

no no... a hammer like you'd buy at Sears
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
[quoteWhy do law enforcement and military have weapons? To potentially save/protect a life.

Other than LE/Mil having a greater potential for this happening, there is no difference.

Just because I have never had to point or shoot at anyone, it does not mean my handguns, shotguns or my rifles are not tools.

Seydou

Sorry I wouldn't buy that if it was on sale for a penny. I do not believe for a second that you bought an AR to protect or save a life. And no.. I'm afraid guns that aren't a duty and or carry weapon are no more tools than my PS2.

Now I have tools for guns, trigger guage, lathe, mill bits etc etc etc.. And those tools not the guns they're used on.. Feel free to disagre with me, you're not gonna hurt my feelings.

I've got two colts with over 3K rounds through each of them and they're damn near flawless. If something happens they get touched up.

I've got deer rifles that have been reblued nad had the stocks redone. NOTHING I spend any money on will look scratched/dinged (or like a piece of shit I don't care about) if I can do anything about it.

EDIT: It's posible that a second civil war or a zombie attack on a massive level could happen in which case the toys may become tools, but it's unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I scratched the flash supressor on my rifle once,it really pissed me off. I had just got it and was quite proud of it. I still curse that damn Iraqi for jumping up right in front of me, I had to bayonet him and I guess one of his ribs got my muzzle.
Damn.
Ok, I lied, that didn't really happen but I thought it would be humorous so I clain artistic license.
Oh yeah, don't diss me too much, I am a desert storm vet so I am entitled to at least comment about the war.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Unbelievable
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yeah well I'd rather that not be my Colt SP1...

So now you're stating thats an original SP1??
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Id love to hear the rest of that story...no wait, actually I wouldnt.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Okay the upper is off an original SP1...I'm sorry I didn't type out "my SP1 upper reciever that isn't on it's original Colt SP1 lower."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL what a frickin retard!  It's just a scratch!  The colors don't even match anyway! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

P.S. - Before anybody flames me, he's my brother, so it's my right to call him a "retard" :P
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't wait till my rifle looks like my 1988 Toyota pickup truck.

While I was building the gun I tried to keep everything in somewhat nice shape. Now that it's done,
I could give a flying F*#K what it looks like, as long as it runs. Just like my truck, it's a tool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[quote
2) You are not the only one to use a buffing wheel on a hammer. RUMINT indicates that OAI does this as well. They call it a "Trigger Job.".

no no... a hammer like you'd buy at Sears

I was going to ask, but was  afraid that is what you meant
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#40]
lol.. yup...

Can't stand any dings, knicks or scratches in anything i own..

Hell I replaced my countertops twice in one year right before I moved becasue they were damaged.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
All beat up to hell ARs look good, but an AR with perfect finish except for the huge gouge or blemish really, really stands out, looks sloppy, and is very unattractive.

I wouldn't bang a chick I think is unattractive, and I wouldn't want to shoot a rifle that is either.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[quoteWhy do law enforcement and military have weapons? To potentially save/protect a life.

Seydou

Sorry I wouldn't buy that if it was on sale for a penny. I do not believe for a second that you bought an AR to protect or save a life. And no.. I'm afraid guns that aren't a duty and or carry weapon are no more tools than my PS2.

Now I have tools for guns, trigger guage, lathe, mill bits etc etc etc.. And those tools not the guns they're used on.. Feel free to disagre with me, you're not gonna hurt my feelings.

I've got two colts with over 3K rounds through each of them and they're damn near flawless. If something happens they get touched up.

I've got deer rifles that have been reblued nad had the stocks redone. NOTHING I spend any money on will look scratched/dinged (or like a piece of shit I don't care about) if I can do anything about it.

EDIT: It's posible that a second civil war or a zombie attack on a massive level could happen in which case the toys may become tools, but it's unlikely.

Why is it so hard to believe that an ordinary civilian would choose to use an AR for self/home defense?

Your argument is very close to the traditional liberal position of:"If you are not the police or military,why do you need an assault weapon to defend yourself ?"

Just because you do not consider your AR a tool, it does not mean the same is true for me.

Your perspective is not mine.

Seydou
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Sorry I wouldn't buy that if it was on sale for a penny. I do not believe for a second that you bought an AR to protect or save a life.  I do. Because thats exactly why I bought mine. Incase.And no.. I'm afraid guns that aren't a duty and or carry weapon are no more tools than my PS2.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I wouldn't buy that if it was on sale for a penny. I do not believe for a second that you bought an AR to protect or save a life.  I do. Because thats exactly why I bought mine. Incase.And no.. I'm afraid guns that aren't a duty and or carry weapon are no more tools than my PS2.

EDIT: It's posible that a second civil war or a zombie attack on a massive level home invasion could happen in which case the toys may become tools, but it's unlikely.

That makes two of us.  For awhile I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Made an additional correction.  Makes more sense now.

Seydou

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#45]
AR for defense against home invasion? um..... might wanna rethink that.. Check that.. you BETTER rethink that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#46]

AR for defense against home invasion? um..... might wanna rethink that.. Check that.. you BETTER rethink that.

why is that?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Well...after about 4 dings on the end of the flashider, it finally happened...I got a large scratch on my rifle's finish.

Dont get ,

or act like a .

Even though it makes you want to ,

sit back, relax and have a .

Your rifle is developing character.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

why?

A 5.56 AR is one of the most effective weapons to use for home defense and that's not my opinon it's a fact
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Not sure about the rifle but if my Hanes looked like yours I'd go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#50]
WMHM4,

Please don't bother trying to explain it to people.  If they think its not a good idea, let them wallow in it.  Like the saying says, its bliss.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top