Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The cover is made of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU).  It is flexible, enough so that you stretch it over the optic. It is also somewhat rigid (so it will hold it's shape), and yes you can cut it with an X-ACTO knife. There is another post about this in this thread. I have an extra IO cover, and will try cutting the top of it so the buttons on the optic are exposed.   I'll post the pics once I'm done.  Whatever route you decide on, be careful not to remove too much material, especially near the bottom of the TD cover where it wraps around the battery compartment.  I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Primary has a lot of red dot options.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
How much parallax we talking about within the 33 yards (per the specs)?

I'm very close to picking one of these up for my plane jane AR.  I wonder if there is going to be a Black Friday sale ...

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
OK.  I modified a TD IO cover so that the top will fit around the optic buttons.  So now you have a couple of options (I'm sure there are more).  IMO the original modification that only involves modifying the TD IO cover to fit around the battery compartment of the MD-ADS Micro Red Dot is the way to go.  When I cut the TD IO cover to fit around the optic control buttons it did not fit as tightly on the MD-ADS optic.  It was time consuming and tedious.  Your choice though !

Now about the MD-ADS optic.  This is a major step up from previous optics.  The dot is crisp and the glass does not have much of a tint to it.  It is very clear.  When looking through it, you cannot see the emitter, a BIG plus !
The button controls respond well, and the clicks are precise and audible.  I'm not doing a torture test on mine, but with a 3 year warranty how can you go wrong for $169.00 ?  

Link to my pictures:  http://s36.photobucket.com/user/badger223/library/
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK.  I modified a TD IO cover so that the top will fit around the optic buttons.  So now you have a couple of options (I'm sure there are more).  IMO the original modification that only involves modifying the TD IO cover to fit around the battery compartment of the MD-ADS Micro Red Dot is the way to go.  When I cut the TD IO cover to fit around the optic control buttons it did not fit as tightly on the MD-ADS optic.  It was time consuming and tedious.  Your choice though !

Now about the MD-ADS optic.  This is a major step up from previous optics.  The dot is crisp and the glass does not have much of a tint to it.  It is very clear.  When looking through it, you cannot see the emitter, a BIG plus !
The button controls respond well, and the clicks are precise and audible.  I'm not doing a torture test on mine, but with a 3 year warranty how can you go wrong for $169.00 ?  

Link to my pictures:  http://s36.photobucket.com/user/badger223/library/
View Quote

Great job, that's looks really functional!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Negligible. Less than most we have tested, at any price. Most companies would just call it parralax free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very close to picking one of these up for my plane jane AR.  I wonder if there is going to be a Black Friday sale ...

http://imageshack.com/a/img904/9932/cbad8e.jpg

Negligible. Less than most we have tested, at any price. Most companies would just call it parralax free.

Ok - last question.

If someone was going to buy an MD-ADS, should they just get it now or would it be smart to wait like 7-9 days
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok - last question.

If someone was going to buy an MD-ADS, should they just get it now or would it be smart to wait like 7-9 days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok - last question.

Quoted:
If you order something between now and then and it goes on sale we will refund the difference.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_325/255786_Black_Friday_Preview_.html&page=1#i2495903

Looks like now is the time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I like this optic a LOT.

I kind of wish they would subdue the Primary Arms logo a little bit.   Maybe grey paint instead of white.  Something that didn't have as much contrast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok - last question.

View Quote

Just ordered mine yesterday for a .22LR pistol.  I'll report back after I get it mounted and give it  try.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok - last question.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok - last question.

I believe I've read before that they rarely put their optics on sale because they already sell them for very little markup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like this optic a LOT.

I kind of wish they would subdue the Primary Arms logo a little bit.   Maybe grey paint instead of white.  Something that didn't have as much contrast.
View Quote

Throw on a TD cover it will cover the logo and give you lens covers as well.  See Badger22's post above.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I just ordered mine.

Was actually kind of a hard decision, since the extra $100 over the other MRDs could've bought more ammo, or a used beater KAC rails for my carbine, but I figured what the heck.

Also picked up a 20-round PMag, because they didn't have any aluminum ones and I kinda feel the need for one.

Anybody rattle-canned one of these yet, or am I gonna be the first one?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just ordered mine yesterday for a .22LR pistol.  I'll report back after I get it mounted and give it  try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok - last question.

Just came in, and based on a visual inspection I've got to say it's worth the extra money over their standard MRDs.  Better glass, dot, controls, and construction.  Just seems overall better quality (not knocking the regular MRDs, just saying this is better).
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just came in, and based on a visual inspection I've got to say it's worth the extra money over their standard MRDs.  Better glass, dot, controls, and construction.  Just seems overall better quality (not knocking the regular MRDs, just saying this is better).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok - last question.

Definitely agree with that. Not even in the same league, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The MD-ADS is out of stock. Seems like this happens every time I consider picking up a RDS and head to their website. How long till you get more in? Anybody using these with FA toys? Do they hold up?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The MD-ADS is out of stock. Seems like this happens every time I consider picking up a RDS and head to their website. How long till you get more in? Anybody using these with FA toys? Do they hold up?
View Quote

You missed it by about a day. They were in stock yesterday (and had been for a good few weeks).

I see no reason they wouldn't hold up on a full auto.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Ordered mine earlier this week. I feel pretty lucky now.

The glass seems pretty clear. Red Dot is also crisp. Though sadly the only way I can tell is by looking through the rear sight peephole. (Astigmatism basically makes it look similar to this though)
= ¡

Push buttons are very positive.

I noticed the battery slightly rattles around in the red dot though. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I noticed the battery slightly rattles around in the red dot though. Is this normal?
View Quote

Ah, screw down the battery cover a bit more?

Haven't noticed it in mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I got mine in the mail today, along with my PMag.

It's niiiiiice~

It's tinier than I thought, too. I think it'll work real well up on the carry handle; I'm pretty sure with the mount and optic fitted up that the top of the MD is about where the dot would be on an Aimpoint Pro mounted the same way.

Too bad I didn't get the mount today, it's still in Illinois somewhere.

Which I guess is okay, I might actually get it before Friday, which would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Will get a update tonight from the factory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will get a update tonight from the factory

Thank You! I'll watch this thread and keep checking the PA website.

The only RDS I have is a cheapo $25 unit from Wally World that I use on my 10/22. I want to try putting the PA ADS on an M16, Uzi SMG and M-11/9 with Lage upper. I tend to spend my $$ on the firearms themselves, rather than optics, but want to give this one a try. Seems pretty cost effective..
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought one today for my .22 build to try out
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's mine on my C7 beater gun.

~ETA~ Page 6 Ownage WOO.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this the model?
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

I'm doing a cheap build with BF deals and spares I have lying around so I'm trying to keep overall price down.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is this the model?
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

I'm doing a cheap build with BF deals and spares I have lying around so I'm trying to keep overall price down.

View Quote

Yep! That's it. Mine did excellent at the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the model?

And this is the same thing, just with a mount right?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Microdot_with_Removable_Base_p/rfpaabmdads.htm

Sorry, I'm new to PA optics.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Any other reviews rolling in?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Ran it on my new pistol build Saturday, no problems at all ran like a champ and a very crisp dot, just as nice as my T-1 to early to tell how it'll hold up.
" />
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

~ETA~ Page 6 Ownage WOO.

<a href="http://s790.photobucket.com/user/DeadpanSnarker/media/Frankendot.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/DeadpanSnarker/Frankendot.jpg</a>
View Quote

Side note - I am digging that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the Holosun version. It has been working great for hundreds of rounds.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got one, what is the latest on these? Are they holding up as well as their other mini red dots?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just got one, what is the latest on these? Are they holding up as well as their other mini red dots?
View Quote

Today my MD-ADS has been on for 4 months straight, still running strong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has really nice glass for a tube dot. Cleaner view then the bushnell TRS and comparable, if not cleaner than my aimpoints. I like it. we'll see how it holds up to some hill climbing and general use and abuse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#39]
How is the clarity on the ADS vs the cheaper version? I'm going to buy one or the other for my beater AR and/or my mossberg 500. Will these things handle the recoil of 12ga?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How is the clarity on the ADS vs the cheaper version? I'm going to buy one or the other for my beater AR and/or my mossberg 500. Will these things handle the recoil of 12ga?
View Quote

The ADS is much clearer and yes can handle 12 ga
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I cant wait to order mine. Ive ordered the new DD mount for it already though, should be coming in on Monday. Has anyone have experiences with those new DD micro mounts yet? They have a adapter for either co or 1/3 witness which seems very convenient....
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How did you mount that one?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~ETA~ Page 6 Ownage WOO.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/DeadpanSnarker/Frankendot.jpg

How did you mount that one?

My bad, just found this post.

It's in a KZ Aimpoint Micro mount.

This one

They were on sale for like $20 when I got mine; that was part of the deciding factor to go with a micro over a 30mm dot.

Anyway, mine has been up on that carbine for about 2k rounds now, as well as rattlecanned; there hasn't been any zero shift or anything with the mount so it's cool with me. I used blue loctite on all the screws anyway.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Working on a budget Midlength build and it will probably get one of these in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine just came in tonight and I have nothing but great things to say about this red dot sight!!! Cant wait to get it zeroed in.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I might get one now too... I saw what the AK Operators Union did to it and it still survived?  Incredible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had one on my AR pistol since Nov and I am beyond pleased with the thing.

I wish I had the heart to kick the crap out of the thing...but I just don't. The dot is clean, the glass has a very light blue tint to it (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) and its very lightweight. Popped mine on a LaRue mount.

It took zero just fine, being that it's on a pistol, I've only had it to 50 yds but it worked fine with I did that on Sunday.

Unless this thing takes a complete dump on me anytime soon...it is a bargain at that price. It's small, it's clear, its lightweight, its bright and it holds zero...can't bitch figuring how much the alternative costs with that form factor...

*EDIT*

Gotta show it off:

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've had one on my AR pistol since Nov and I am beyond pleased with the thing.

I wish I had the heart to kick the crap out of the thing...but I just don't. The dot is clean, the glass has a very light blue tint to it (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) and its very lightweight. Popped mine on a LaRue mount.

It took zero just fine, being that it's on a pistol, I've only had it to 50 yds but it worked fine with I did that on Sunday.

Unless this thing takes a complete dump on me anytime soon...it is a bargain at that price. It's small, it's clear, its lightweight, its bright and it holds zero...can't bitch figuring how much the alternative costs with that form factor...

*EDIT*

Gotta show it off:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/Guns/Ar2dec14_zpsd39e214f.jpg
View Quote

Check this video.  They trashed the rifle and MD-ADS red dot and everything still worked perfectly.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#50]
With my tax refund, I'll be picking up a T2.
My INITIAL thought was to put it on my carbine, and the PA MD-ADS on a Geissele 6-Second-Mount (on a glock 17 gen4).

However, tonight I realized that I'd probably shoot the pistol more--so I may end up putting the T2 on the pistol and keeping the MD-ADS on my Carbine.
I still like the idea of putting a $169 optic on a $250 mount...it just seems so insanely ironic.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top